NAD OWNERS THREAD

Hello FMs,

Could not find any thread related to NAD and hence initiated one so that fellow FMs can be benefited.

I have been using NAD C326BEE for over 2 months now and pretty much satisfied with the performance. However, Lately, was getting inclined towards TT and hence have decided to go for an entry-level TT from Marantz to satisfy the initial urge and see if this urge is temporary.

After having done my initial research, came across that my amp doesn't have an inbuilt phono stage. Can anyone please advice how do I go about it? Would i need an extra attachment something like below or is there any hack available.

https://www.hifimart.com/nad-pp-4-phono-preamplifier.html?search=nad&description=true

Kindly advice.

Lets use this thread to adress issues related to NAD amp/AVRs if there isnt one already.

Hello All,

I am a very happy and proud owner of the 356 with DAC module, driving Polk Audio RtiA7 since the last 3 years. It sounds so good with the Dali Zensor series too. The setup is in my living cum dining room which is 23 x 16 x 10 feet. It fills the room without a sweat beautifully at 9 - 10 O clock position. Haventdared to go beyond that as its more than enough. That shows the sheer muscle of the NAD.

Unfortunately, since last week, the DAC module stopped working. I will have to open and check the connections or whatever I can do. Currently using Schit Modi Multibit DAC, which also sings very well.

I am experimenting with a tube buffer now and the subtle change in sound signature is awesome. I liked it so much that I have ordered for original matched pair of GE tubes to roll out the stock 6N1 Chinese ones. Have yet to install as I am not in station.

It would be highly appreciated if anyone could help me troubleshoot my 356 DAC module as I feel it has an edge over the Schiit.

Will let you know how it goes after I roll out the tubes. I am also bitten by the TT bug now and looking out for a decent TT, nothing fancy.

Happy listening to all the Naddies. Cheers and Enjoy.

I have posted this msg on NAD facebook page as the webpages and archive info is not that structured for easy access."It would be valuable to have a a single web page archive by model number for NAD archived products? Also NAD product brochure /catalog and app notes by the year The navigation experience can be improved from what exits now.Thanks NAD fans . Is there a location where NAD brochure are available in pdf form ? I could find only a few of them "
I could find the pdf catalogs for a few yrs 2008,9,10,11 but not for every year.

Edit:
To enable easy understanding during my NAD buying journey i found the website and blogs mentioning different models/topology .

Here is a attempt to build a useful NAD amp overview

Pls add /correct as needed .
Year of
launch
Amplifier TypeModel numberTopology
BEE?Integrated
Integrated
Pre-Amp
Power Amp
C 316 BEE V2
C 375 BEE
C 165 BEE
C 275 BEE

All Class AB
C?Integrated
Integrated
Integrated
Integrated
Pre-Amp
Power Amp
C 328
C 338
C 368
C 388
C 510
C 268

All Hybrid DAC amps
D?Integrated
Integrated
Integrated
D3020 V2
D 3045
D 3070
All Hybrid Digital amps
M (Masters)?Integrated
Pre-Amp
Power Amp
Integrated
M32
M12
M 22 V2
M 10
All Direct Digital amps

Historical models on Digital Direct Amps history > Model 390DD followed by Model M2 and now M32

Historical models on Masters (Class AB) history > Model M3 discontinued ?

Disclaimers apply : No affiliations.

Missed out Model 326BEE

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, Any suggestions for Authorised NAD or competent technician to repair NAD M51 Dac/pre in Chennai?

Any Chennai FM's having NAD m51 with original M50 remote.... Would like to verify if my remote is working.

Has any NAD owner come across issues with the hybrid Integrated amps from NAD. Based on online reviews, people seems to be having issues with their reliability. I like the Chromecast built-in but reliability takes precedence

Has any NAD owner come across issues with the hybrid Integrated amps from NAD. Based on online reviews, people seems to be having issues with their reliability. I like the Chromecast built-in but reliability takes precedence
Moved on from Nad to Bluesound .Works for me as it offers form factor, convenience and sound.

Came across this great example of NAD's "neutral" sound signature the Yamaha's "dynamic" sound signature. It will give one a good example of how NAD measures up against most other amplifiers. Use headphones for a more accurate experience.

Hi All,
Thank you for all the NAD posts and valuable information.

Any suggestions folks can offer in Rs50k-Rs75k range.Anybody auditioned QUAD S2 with NAD 316BEE ?
NAD 325BEE owner here, currently the NAD is hooked up to a Quad S2 and it sounds good. The amp is refined enough to not draw attention to the ribbon tweeter. The Quads sound better close to the wall, I have them positioned 9-10 inches from the wall and the bass comes into balance with the treble. Pulled out into the room, the quads lose their balance and sound all over the place.

With floorstanders, the BW 603 S2 sound very good out in the room. The NAD is refined enough not to excite metal domes into ringing. But note both these speakers have benign impedance loads, probably playing to the amp's strengths which sounds sweet in the treble and midrange and has good resolution in the bass. With the right speaker positioning, bass lines nicely stand out from the mix. I am wondering if it's a British thing. Later this week I will get the Focal Aria 906, that too features a metal inverted dome that reportedly sounds bright. I will.let you know how the Focal works with the NAD.

In video, I find Yamaha has better separation and vocals in center. NAD sounds warmer but congested.
Came across this great example of NAD's "neutral" sound signature the Yamaha's "dynamic" sound signature. It will give one a good example of how NAD measures up against most other amplifiers. Use headphones for a more accurate experience.

In the Nad vs Yamaha video, to my ears the Yamaha sounded more clear with separation . The vocals were more pronounced & the overall tracks sounded more open & lively with the Yamaha. The Nad sounded a bit subdued.

The old NADs are perhaps some of the most underrated amplifiers of all time. I came into ownership of a C325BEE last year and I am wondering why transistor amps get a bad rap relative to Tubes when there is something like the C325. This SS amp has me questioning my allegiance to tubes. it plays nice with a variety of speakers especially affordable British stand mounts. It makes modest power, perhaps one needs to be as careful in finding speakers as once would with tube amplifiers. It’s not neutral, the bass is nice and prominent but it has a snap to it. Everyone raves about the midrange and rightfully so, but the treble too is grain less and sweet. It can throw an image assuming the speakers are up to it. It has dynamics. Best of all, It sounds great with all of the music that you grew up with - CCR, the Doors, the Rolling Stones, Steely Dan, Paul Simon, Grareful Dead, the Who, CSNY and on and on - all sound terrific. You can listen to this all day and be entertained. The NAD C325BEE is a classic in my book and the designer Bjorn Erik Edvardsen was a genius. Now I’ve got to listen to his first design the C3020.

BEE passed away in 2019. Remarkable body of work.

@reubensm - Have you owned the 3020, you appear to be the NAC official adi on this forum. What NAD amps have you owned? Also wanted to ask you, how are the NAD preamplifiers?

Even for the late 70s and 80s, 20 watts per channel was very low. BEE was doing his own thing for sure.

ver@reubensm - Have you owned the 3020, you appear to be the NAC official adi on this forum. What NAD amps have you owned? Also wanted to ask you, how are the NAD preamplifiers?

Even for the late 70s and 80s, 20 watts per channel was very low. BEE was doing his own thing for sure.
I currently run two NAD 3020s in my system. Yes, we are long term NAD users going back to the early 80s when we got the 1020A preamp at home. Later on I've used many NADs including the 302, 304, 306, 320, 325, 340, 356, 370 but not with long term ownership. I have also used the 1020A, 1000, 106 and 160 preamps and the 214, 216, 270 and 208 power amps. Except for the 320 (brother's) 306 (brother's), 1020A, 106, 160 and 216, all the others came to me for repairs. I also came across a 3150 when it passed through me to another owner. I have also used the 7020e receiver.

Over the years, NAD amps were available in both integrated and pre-power component options. The integrateds were essentially combos of the pre-power amps. For example the C160 and C270 pre and power amp were combined (literally) in the integrated amp C370 (sometimes without the phonostage). The 1020 series preamps were essentially the preamp section of the 3020 and so on. NAD integrateds from the early to mid 1990s onwards did not come with phonostages but could be used with external phono boxes. The newer ones come with optional phono stage pluggins. Over the years, NAD preamplifiers have been very well received for their excellent phonostages. This as as they are essentially low noise, have excellent filtering and do not colour the sound. Most importantly, just as how NAD amps are famous for being able to drive a large variety of speaker types, NAD phonostages are known to work well with an array of cartridges. I have used Shure MM carts all my life and they are a great match for NADs. Another plus of a NAD is the tone stage. If used, the bass control does not boom and the treble control does not screech, so even with the tone controls turned up, the listening experience remains smooth.

If you ask me why NAD, its hard to explain but there's something about the sound that gets me listening to more and more (I've not known what listening fatigue is).

Edit: Never get fooled by NAD power ratings. They are usually under rated and come with highly tolerant power supplies. A 25 watt RMS (called 'real watts' by NAD fans) NAD amplifier will driver any speaker system and sound louder (without distortion) than any Sony (or other mass-market system) rated at 1000w PMPO :)

I currently run two NAD 3020s in my system. Yes, we are long term NAD users going back to the early 80s when we got the 1020A preamp at home. Later on I've used many NADs including the 302, 304, 306, 320, 325, 340, 356, 370 but not with long term ownership. I have also used the 1020A, 1000, 106 and 160 preamps and the 214, 216, 270 and 208 power amps. Except for the 320 (brother's) 306 (brother's), 1020A, 106, 160 and 216, all the others came to me for repairs. I also came across a 3150 when it passed through me to another owner. I have also used the 7020e receiver.

Over the years, NAD amps were available in both integrated and pre-power component options. The integrateds were essentially combos of the pre-power amps. For example the C160 and C270 pre and power amp were combined (literally) in the integrated amp C370 (sometimes without the phonostage). The 1020 series preamps were essentially the preamp section of the 3020 and so on. NAD integrateds from the early to mid 1990s onwards did not come with phonostages but could be used with external phono boxes. The newer ones come with optional phono stage pluggins. Over the years, NAD preamplifiers have been very well received for their excellent phonostages. This as as they are essentially low noise, have excellent filtering and do not colour the sound. Most importantly, just as how NAD amps are famous for being able to drive a large variety of speaker types, NAD phonostages are known to work well with an array of cartridges. I have used Shure MM carts all my life and they are a great match for NADs. Another plus of a NAD is the tone stage. If used, the bass control does not boom and the treble control does not screech, so even with the tone controls turned up, the listening experience remains smooth.

If you ask me why NAD, its hard to explain but there's something about the sound that gets me listening to more and more (I've not known what listening fatigue is).

Edit: Never get fooled by NAD power ratings. They are usually under rated and come with highly tolerant power supplies. A 25 watt RMS (called 'real watts' by NAD fans) NAD amplifier will driver any speaker system and sound louder (without distortion) than any Sony (or other mass-market system) rated at 1000w PMPO :)
I totally get the lifelong addiction to the NAD characteristic sound. Your experience with so many NAD amps and preamps is mind boggling. You have remained with the original 3020 though which is interesting, is it sentimental or it actually sounds better than all those that followed but were clearly inspired from the 3020?

I could use your advice, I am looking for a preamplifier preferably with a phono, is the 1020A a good candidate? I see a S100 on Olx and you mention the C160. If these aren’t available, just get a 3020 and use the preamplifier stage?

The 1020/1020A was originally not designed as a dedicated preamp. When NAD launched the 3020, many audiophiles started pairing the preamp section of the 3020 with more powerful power amplifiers. NAD responded by launching the 1020 which essentially is the very same 3020 PCB with all the power amplifier section components omitted. Of course, the PSU for the 1020 is a smaller one and the power level indicators and speaker terminals are missing. Hence, it actually makes commercial sense to buy a 3020 instead of a 1020. You can remove the 'U' jumpers and use it as a preamp or use it as a poweramp or as an integrated amp (3 possibilities). The 3020A/1020A has a MC/MM switchable phonostage and capacitance loading which is switchabe. One great feature of the 3020/1020 is the 'loudness' button. Though purists may not use this feature, if you like punchy music without fatigue, just push the button and the output will be 'transformed'. One disadvantage of using the 3020/1020 is the limited number of input options. You have a phono input, a tuner input, tape input and aux input. Yes, these were from the days before CDs :)

Some of the well-reviewed NAD preamps of all time are the NAD 1000 series, there are 3 versions of this preamp - 1000, 1000S and 106. I have used 2 of these and the phonostage is outstanding. The 106 comes with balanced XLR outputs as well. The NAD 1300 is another great preamp and offers additional flexibility for the standard user - you have bass boost and a host of other 'mass-market' options. I have moved from the 1000 series to the NAD C160 (the current avatar is the C165 BEE). It is a great preamp with a MC/MM phonostage and with class-A amplification stages. This version also offers selector and volume control via remote. All these preamps have tone defeat switches as well.

The "S" or silverline series from NAD was their higher end offering made with very high quality components. However they were pricey and hence fell out of favour with the traditional NAD demography (at that price point, one could get more higher end gear). I have not owned these but have gone though online reviews, that were generally favorable. In my personal opinion, when choosing a preamp, its good to have tone controls (although one would loose bragging rights in audiophile communities). You have the option to use them or 'defeat' them. Having tone controls presents an opportunity to customize what you hear so why not have that feature too :)

I found this on olx (no affiliation with the seller, just sharing for your info).

The 1020/1020A was originally not designed as a dedicated preamp. When NAD launched the 3020, many audiophiles started pairing the preamp section of the 3020 with more powerful power amplifiers. NAD responded by launching the 1020 which essentially is the very same 3020 PCB with all the power amplifier section components omitted. Of course, the PSU for the 1020 is a smaller one and the power level indicators and speaker terminals are missing. Hence, it actually makes commercial sense to buy a 3020 instead of a 1020. You can remove the 'U' jumpers and use it as a preamp or use it as a poweramp or as an integrated amp (3 possibilities). The 3020A/1020A has a MC/MM switchable phonostage and capacitance loading which is switchabe. One great feature of the 3020/1020 is the 'loudness' button. Though purists may not use this feature, if you like punchy music without fatigue, just push the button and the output will be 'transformed'. One disadvantage of using the 3020/1020 is the limited number of input options. You have a phono input, a tuner input, tape input and aux input. Yes, these were from the days before CDs :)

Some of the well-reviewed NAD preamps of all time are the NAD 1000 series, there are 3 versions of this preamp - 1000, 1000S and 106. I have used 2 of these and the phonostage is outstanding. The 106 comes with balanced XLR outputs as well. The NAD 1300 is another great preamp and offers additional flexibility for the standard user - you have bass boost and a host of other 'mass-market' options. I have moved from the 1000 series to the NAD C160 (the current avatar is the C165 BEE). It is a great preamp with a MC/MM phonostage and with class-A amplification stages. This version also offers selector and volume control via remote. All these preamps have tone defeat switches as well.

The "S" or silverline series from NAD was their higher end offering made with very high quality components. However they were pricey and hence fell out of favour with the traditional NAD demography (at that price point, one could get more higher end gear). I have not owned these but have gone though online reviews, that were generally favorable. In my personal opinion, when choosing a preamp, its good to have tone controls (although one would loose bragging rights in audiophile communities). You have the option to use them or 'defeat' them. Having tone controls presents an opportunity to customize what you hear so why not have that feature too :)

I found this on olx (no affiliation with the seller, just sharing for your info).
You Sir are a treasure chest of knowledge on all things NAD. I am sold, am going to try and source either a new C165BEE or one of the others if in good condition.

Is 326BEE the classic

@reubensm I may consider buying a NAD 326BEE (used) as a tribute to Mr BEE
Can you suggest any other Classic models ?
Else iam waiting for the prices of the classd amps NAD268 and 298( eigentakt) to drop.

Is 326BEE the classic

@reubensm I may consider buying a NAD 326BEE (used) as a tribute to Mr BEE
Can you suggest any other Classic models ?
Else iam waiting for the prices of the classd amps NAD268 and 298( eigentakt) to drop.
C326bee is a much awarded amplifier and the most recent in the 32x series. This model has a reworked powersupply and overall better build quality than the earlier versions, otherwise essential design elements remain the same (including class-A gain states in the preamp.

But i must also warn you about one aspect.

NAD amps go by a series, there is always a start to a series and then further updates come out. The C320 is the first in this series (supposedly evolving from the original 3020 design, which is more of speculation and a marketing gimmick, than being true), after which the C325bee and C326bee followed. The essential circuit design remained the same across all 3 versions but NAD moved the PSU board and Tranny around in the C325bee and improved on the PSU, layout, heatsinks, speaker binding posts and overall aesthetics on the C326bee. But then, when such developments happen, reviewers get to work and find one model better than the other (and spend hours and kilometers of typing on forums discussing these aspects). Reviewers generally say, the C320 was more original, closer to vintage solid state sound, packed a punch while at the same time being neutral with great dimensions (referred to as stereo imaging). In comparison, they generally say that the C325bee was more contemporary, more aggressive than the C320's warm sound but with the enhanced dynamics, more suitable to digital listening. Users of the C325bee who chose to buy the C326bee found it to be softer, more rolled off, more polished, but perhaps lacking the 'wow' factor of the earlier model with reference to overall sound and imagery. This is perhaps NAD attempting to return to the original C320 sound, as per them.

Bottom line - these are personal opinions, one should listen and decide for one's self. In my view, when buying an amp, its always better to buy something new if availability and budget permits. If you are game for it, have the service/repair bases covered and are on a budget, then buying used is a good option. All the C32x series amps are 50+50 amps into 8 ohms so if you want more power, the C34/5x and C37x series are the other options. I have never used any of NAD's digital amps so I am mostly ignorant about them. I've heard the D3020 play and i thought it sounded really nice although I felt it was more suited for use beside a desktop PC :). If you are familiar with the sound and like it, any NAD amp (in good condition if used) is always a good buy.

Mr. BEE was one of the greats, if not the greatest in his field. If not for him, this thread (and many others) may not have existed. God bless his soul.

Last edited:
C326bee is a much awarded amplifier and the most recent in the 32x series. This model has a reworked powersupply and overall better build quality than the earlier versions, otherwise essential design elements remain the same (including class-A gain states in the preamp.

But i must also warn you about one aspect.

NAD amps go by a series, there is always a start to a series and then further updates come out. The C320 is the first in this series (supposedly evolving from the original 3020 design, which is more of speculation and a marketing gimmick, than being true), after which the C325bee and C326bee followed. The essential circuit design remained the same across all 3 versions but NAD moved the PSU board and Tranny around in the C325bee and improved on the PSU, layout, heatsinks, speaker binding posts and overall aesthetics on the C326bee. But then, when such developments happen, reviewers get to work and find one model better than the other (and spend hours and kilometers of typing on forums discussing these aspects). Reviewers generally say, the C320 was more original, closer to vintage solid state sound, packed a punch while at the same time being neutral with great dimensions (referred to as stereo imaging). In comparison, they generally say that the C325bee was more contemporary, more aggressive than the C320's warm sound but with the enhanced dynamics, more suitable to digital listening. Users of the C325bee who chose to buy the C326bee found it to be softer, more rolled off, more polished, but perhaps lacking the 'wow' factor of the earlier model with reference to overall sound and imagery. This is perhaps NAD attempting to return to the original C320 sound, as per them.

Bottom line - these are personal opinions, one should listen and decide for one's self. In my view, when buying an amp, its always better to buy something new if availability and budget permits. If you are game for it, have the service/repair bases covered and are on a budget, then buying used is a good option. All the C32x series amps are 50+50 amps into 8 ohms so if you want more power, the C34/5x and C37x series are the other options. If you are familiar with the sound and like it, any NAD amp (in good condition if used) is always a good buy.

Mr. BEE was one of the greats, if not the greatest in his field. If not for him, this thread (and many others) may not have existed. God bless his soul.
Thank you for the response and guidance.
Assume you were to buy the latest C series ? Which one would you consider ?
I used to own 320BEE ,316BEE and 375BEE and preferred the 316BEE.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back