New Speakers for Musical Fidelity A 3.2

tharun

Hi everyone:licklips:

I am using a mission M33 speakers , MF A3.2 amplifier , Marantz SA 7001 SACD Player. My system is sounding good , now its time to upgrade my Mission M33 speakers I have a lakh to spend for the speaker . I prefer Floorstander . The speakers i have shortlisted are Quad , Monitor Audio , Wharfedale , Jamo , Dynaudio , Dali. Yet to audition any of these speakers. I cant audition everthing because most of the speakers are not available here. so please let me know which speakers will sound good for my system. My taste of music is mostly slow numbers such as ghazals ,old rafi and Mukesh songs , English Slow rock and pop , Country songs. I also listen to Malayalam and tamil film songs.

Tharun Balakrishnan.

Hi:

Good choice of speakers there. But, with MF as your amp and 1L budget, I can boldly suggest MA RX6 speakers. MA goes really well with MF amps and have heard some MF setup with MA speakers at the distributor here in Chennai and am impressed at the clean and powerful sound. RX6 could handle well for your kind of music and taste and they are a refined lot in their new avatar compared to the older RS6, so IMO you can have fatigue-free listening sessions there.

My other choice would be Dali Ikon 6. Excellent speakers for the money and I heard them recently with a Naim setup and I was impressed too. Music sounded good in all the frequency range with Ikon. Again, how well it goes with MF and Marantz, you need to audition to find out.

With that kind of budget, you can as well omit Diamond speakers even 10.x ranges, and aim and audition other speakers that you mentioned. Dyna are excellent choice, but I've never heard then, so can't comment.

:)

With your listening material, I would definitely add EPOS to that list. PSB also make very good speakers. There are a lot of folks who like and prefer nothing but the Usher, but personally I have not heard them.

I would suggest not losing out on auditioning the above mentioned speaker brands before making your decision. The hassle is worth it when you consider a speaker that is going to stay with you for maybe upwards of 10 years.

With your listening material, I would definitely add EPOS to that list. PSB also make very good speakers. There are a lot of folks who like and prefer nothing but the Usher, but personally I have not heard them.

I would suggest not losing out on auditioning the above mentioned speaker brands before making your decision. The hassle is worth it when you consider a speaker that is going to stay with you for maybe upwards of 10 years.

I was going to ask Tharun to check out the Usher BE 718s after all the good feedback they are getting. But he wants Floorstanders only.
Would the Splendor a5s do the job?

I was going to ask Tharun to check out the Usher BE 718s after all the good feedback they are getting. But he wants Floorstanders only.
Would the Splendor a5s do the job?

Oh definitely. And the Proacs too as unleash_me has suggested.

Hi Tharun,
A Proac, a spendor should be added to your list.
I dont know if u or your amp will like the Dyna. Plus what dyna FS in the budget??? Dali maybe too much upper energy at least for me. A MA will surely work but once again only an audition can confirm. Have heard the A5 &A5.5 with MA golds & Dali Helicons at the vendors and it was pretty good. I didnt go to listen rather just to end some paperwork and i cant truly say i was really listening!
Vortex suggested a PSB which is a good option too. I had heard the image 45 and @ 55K seemed a good buy. The newer PSB s i have not heard so cant comment
Rgds

Hi
Thanks for the input. I have listened to PSB but not to my liking , Also the Epos M5 was not sounding that great. Have heard and used the Quads ( 11L ) sounded very clean ( I miss u 11L ). Yet to audition the MA , Dali , Dynaudio , Spendor.
Titus , My GM is having the Usher 718 BE , Believe me , its not my Cup of tea. Will be going this week end to audition the MA. BTW the dealer is also having the Thiel and MBL , but i dont know if he would give that for a lac:eek:hyeah:
Dinyaar ji How will the Dynaudio sound with the MF , I do not have any Dynaudio dealer near by. If i want to but the Dynaudio i have to buy without auditioning, any one heard the Dyns with MF?

Hi Tarun ji no ji please!
See a Monitor audio is a speaker that does most things right for most people. Look at it as an all rounder and one cant really go wrong with it. If u partner with something edgy then maybe.

I think we like different sounds. I do not like the quads much, nor the Dali s for that matter but i would like a dyna. Not all dyna but some. Usher I have not heard. And I do like some PSB speakers.

Tarun MF is only sold by one vendor in bbay and he has a wide selection of speakers but NOT Dynaudio and I dont know anyone who has the MF/Dyna combo so I cant say it will work. A friend has your amp with MA RS6 and he seems happy.

Go on your audition of MA and do check if he will give u those MBL for a lac:D
If possible hear the Pro Ac. IMO a very good option and also does most things right.
Rgds

Tharun - maybe if you could expand on the aspects you liked in speakers such as Dynaudio and the aspects you did not like in speakers such as the EPOS and PSB, members might be able to give recommendations.

The EPOS M5 is just one step removed from their entry levels peaker - the ELS 8. Do give a listen to the M12i from EPOS. But before that do let us know what you liked or did not like in specific.

Tharun - maybe if you could expand on the aspects you liked in speakers such as Dynaudio and the aspects you did not like in speakers such as the EPOS and PSB, members might be able to give recommendations.

The EPOS M5 is just one step removed from their entry levels peaker - the ELS 8. Do give a listen to the M12i from EPOS. But before that do let us know what you liked or did not like in specific.

Thank you Dinyaar , I will check the MA this week end.
Vortex , i have heard only Epos M5 not heard or seen any other model. The Epos m5 was paired with a Creek amplifier and the hi feq was very much for me. I am looking for a sound which will not hurt your ears in a long time playback. The Hi freq of the PSB was also some thing i did not like. But i have to check the other models of the Epos , many say very good things about epos. let me chck that one too.

Hi Tharun:

Dinyaar has hit the nail on the head. Why have you not considered B&W FS, i don't know which series falls around your budget and I don't know why Dinyaar hasn't suggested the same.

As suggested, the RS6/RX6 is an all-rounder and you can't go wrong with these FS. Actually, the older RS6 had some problem with treble going over the edge if you partner with the wrong equipment (amps like Cyrus, Naim, even Marantz). But, the new RX6 can partner well with most amps and its a winner.

Just my 2 paisa.

:)

Thank you Dinyaar , I will check the MA this week end.
Vortex , i have heard only Epos M5 not heard or seen any other model. The Epos m5 was paired with a Creek amplifier and the hi feq was very much for me. I am looking for a sound which will not hurt your ears in a long time playback. The Hi freq of the PSB was also some thing i did not like. But i have to check the other models of the Epos , many say very good things about epos. let me chck that one too.

Which speaker from the PSB stable did you hear? The Image series is very well made and a good bargain as a speaker.

I have not heard the Creek-EPOS combo. But I find it hard to imagine the EPOS to have a high frequency bias. The closest comparison to Creek could probably be with the Musical Fidelity amp. I have heard this combination and it was stunning. But your mileage may vary.

The M series from EPOS is definitely recommended.

I am using MF 3.2 with Cadence Divas speakers alongwith Marantz CD player 5001. I am more than satisfied with my set up.

Drop in to listen if you are in Delhi.

Vortex , I did not notice which model in Creek which was driving the M5. The hi freq was some what exaggerated , is it the problem with the M5 or was it a mis match of equipment.
Vinod , so far I did not add B&W to the list , but if it sounds good then i will add that too in my auditioning list.
Sound and Music , how is the Low freq in the Divas. Even though i am not going to play my system loud , just to know how does the divas sound if you crank up the volume say 1n 12O clock position.

Hi
Actually I dont suggest B&W as my bbay buddies feel am stuck on them, time to explore too much that is 'way better', time for a change etc etc.
Now I dont feel that way and i still like some of the speakers. But the new 600 series, not really. If Tharun is to check out a B&W it should be some CM or even the older 700 series which has a capable FS in the 704. Needless to add i do like the 800 series & particularly the book shelf:D
Another reason I refrain from suggesting is local pricing, which does not make the speaker bad as such, just a poor VFM option.
Rgds

Last edited:
I second B&W's Cm series or even better the 8 series. I have been using the n805's for the past 4 years and have yet to find a better speaker in the $3000 range (us pricing). I also own a pair of Usher BE 718 - that come close to the performance of the 805 but I still rate the 805 higher - albeit both being stand mounters.
You can also read my impressions on the CM1 based on a review I did on them a couple of years ago for soundstage.
SoundStage! Equipment Review - B&W CM1 Loudspeakers (5/2007)
I believe the CM9 has been receiving rave reviews - though I have yet to listen.
Only caveat I would have is that their pricing in India is highly elevated so they may not be such a good VFM.
Cheers
Sid

Last edited:
Vortex , I did not notice which model in Creek which was driving the M5. The hi freq was some what exaggerated , is it the problem with the M5 or was it a mis match of equipment.
Vinod , so far I did not add B&W to the list , but if it sounds good then i will add that too in my auditioning list.
Sound and Music , how is the Low freq in the Divas. Even though i am not going to play my system loud , just to know how does the divas sound if you crank up the volume say 1n 12O clock position.

Like I mentioned, I have not heard the combination. Hence I wont be able to guess as to which component was the result of the exaggerated high frequencies.

Do try the EPOS M 12.2 or the floorstanders in the same series. Maybe with different amps this time.

Back