OLED TV's price/best quote thread

Thanks a lot for all your comments and help.very grateful.
One more cheapo question - Based on history, is the 2020 models price expected to drop at the turn of the new year? Guess I can pull a month more if I get discounts :D

Thanks a lot for all your comments and help.very grateful.
One more cheapo question - Based on history, is the 2020 models price expected to drop at the turn of the new year? Guess I can pull a month more if I get discounts :D
No. I made the purchase on December 31st last year. I checked 8-10 different showrooms in Chennai and there was no special discounts for year end.

Little OT.. i purchased CX65 during Diwali and still waiting for table top stand for installation which LG says is out of stock and will take another week or 10 days.

staring at the box for 5 days now is sad .... wondering if anyone else especially from Hyderabad has got table top installed in last few days.

Last edited:
Little OT.. i purchased CX65 during Diwali and still waiting for table top stand for installation which LG says is out of stock and will take another week or 10 days.

staring at the box for 5 days now is sad .... wondering if anyone else especially from Hyderabad has got table top installed in last few days.
How much did you get it for and from where Sachin. ?

^^ electronics get cheaper over time. Turn of new year you will see their inventory fall flat and give discounts to clear old products. In Koyambedu vegetable market also the evening veggies purchaser gets it for lower price. It keeps going down. If you wanted an older version Denon AVR (amplifier only) you have to wait next year. That's the trick!

What's the

What's the usability issues like?
I assumed the Android OS would be rather friendly than the LG Web OS?
And is the remote for the LG better ?
Main usability issue is, it needs line of sight for remote. It does not have a bluetooth remote which is a blunder. LG remote is miles apart.
Also, it does not have special processing chip for android tv. This chip is powerless and you can feel the UI lagging.
Remote is also full of buttons and confusing to use.
I git a bluetooth remote for android from amazon and usability is better but nowhere close to LG.

Both these issues are resolved in A8H though. Only specific to A8G.

So the A8H comes with a Bluetooth remote and a better less lagging UI?
So there are other differences upgraded from the G to H ? besides the extreme processor ?

Thanks a lot for the input . Pardon my barrage of questions, but sitting in the islands I can't audition these tvs and have to rely on the collective wisdom of the FMs for an informed decision.

So there are other differences upgraded from the G to H ? besides the extreme processor ?

Thanks a lot for the input . Pardon my barrage of questions, but sitting in the islands I can't audition these tvs and have to rely on the collective wisdom of the FMs for an informed decision.

Which company showrooms do you have on the islands? This is another point which can influence the final decision.

Ya, A8H has better processor, faster UI (new android version coupled with better processor), better remote (bluetooth and lesser confusing buttons), X1 ultimate upgraded from X1 extreme of A8G.

Get the sony, even the a8g for picture. It has usability issues and geneic OS coupled with IR remote but when it comes to PQ, it's just better.

I have the LG and Sony in 2 different rooms. Though I cannot pinpoint the picture difference, if I continue what I was watching midway from sony to LG, it looks like a not a continuity. Looks like a downgrade. If I do the vice versa, it looks like I have missed something for the first half and keep rewatching. This is for 4k, HDR and DV content. Will post some pictures to get an idea, though pics are nit the greatest representation of what u see in real life.
Did you get to the detailed comparison?
My panel is settling down well. How's your CX?

Watched Mad Max Fury Road yesterday. There's definitely more shadow details, sharpness and colour saturation on Sony. Blue saturation stands out.

Did you get to the detailed comparison?
My panel is settling down well. How's your CX?

Watched Mad Max Fury Road yesterday. There's definitely more shadow details, sharpness and colour saturation on Sony. Blue saturation stands out.

I did.
Animation, nature content, demos all look phenomenal in LG.
So is any content which has predominantly bright scenes.
Sony is far better with dark scenes and human skin colour and facial details. Fine details like hair, hair shine, fur, facial contours, skin colour etc stand out in sony.
I have determined it has to do with picture engine and not with colour tuning etc.

Eg: Experiment with picture clarity -> reality creation setting in sony. I have kept it as 50. It makes a world of difference to details. LG picture looks like as if the reality creation setting is kept at 0. Iam not sure what is the corresponding setting in LG (super resolution makes the picture look artificial if it is the corresponding setting).

Edit:
My sony setting is very straightforward. Cinema pro mode with eco turned off and peak brightness set to high/max, ambient light sensor off. All these settings are for stopping any light limiting.
Apart from that only setting I made is,
Reality creation at 50. (default 20, I guess).
Check with this so that we are talking about the same picture. First 3 you have to make anyways. Reality creation is according to preference. You need to pause a picture with human face and do the adjustment. Percievable with every 5 increment to me (not 1).

Last edited:
Which company showrooms do you have on the islands? This is another point which can influence the final decision.
We have the Big 3 here . They are company authorised showrooms exclusive to each of the big 3.
And some local players milk the market because it's all about penetration amd last mile when ot comes to island. So you'll find Mi TV and Intex rampant here for basically commercial use and for economic personal purchases.

The big3 showrooms have very few units on display and generally not up to date on inventory stocks as well. Especially big tickets like OLEDs are always on order. This is true for all appliances of the big 3 like refridgerator etc also.

You order, they get it billed at mainland Chennai or Kolkata and it gets loaded on with the next shipment (generally every other Wednesday 1st and 3rd ) amd unloads here to the store.

The company store then installs it and provides warranty cover.warranty extension etc also are handled by the office here.

This seemingly long procedure is not so scary in reality because we get pretty much everything here like this. Including milk! :)

So if I know what I want they'll get it here against advance payment of 25percent in about 15_20 days.

The biggest blow is that all the fancy discounta and offers that vijay sales and Croma r digitals give out are.not applicable in this case obviously. So I get pretty steeeeeep quotes from the comapny showrooms.

I'm.planning to write to the big box stores in mainland and ask them if they can tie up with these local stores and send me a piece .probably will get some discount then.

You guys won't believe what they are quoting here for the CX65 . Let's just say you would get the A9H in mainland for that price.

Phew.

I did.
Animation, nature content, demos all look phenomenal in LG.
So is any content which has predominantly bright scenes.
Sony is far better with dark scenes and human skin colour and facial details. Fine details like hair, hair shine, fur, facial contours, skin colour etc stand out in sony.
I have determined it has to do with picture engine and not with colour tuning etc.

Eg: Experiment with picture clarity -> reality creation setting in sony. I have kept it as 50. It makes a world of difference to details. LG picture looks like as if the reality creation setting is kept at 0. Iam not sure what is the corresponding setting in LG (super resolution makes the picture look artificial if it is the corresponding setting).

Edit:
My sony setting is very straightforward. Cinema pro mode with eco turned off and peak brightness set to high/max, ambient light sensor off. All these settings are for stopping any light limiting.
Apart from that only setting I made is,
Reality creation at 50. (default 20, I guess).
Check with this so that we are talking about the same picture. First 3 you have to make anyways. Reality creation is according to preference. You need to pause a picture with human face and do the adjustment. Percievable with every 5 increment to me (not 1).
I've switched off all the light limiting controls. Panel Luminance is set to high for SDR and HDR. With SDR, I usually keep brightness at 25 or 30 if I have the curtains drawn.

Reality Creation at 10 is good for me. Coming from LG the picture is more defined and sharp even at a very minimum setting.

Motion is definitely an upgrade with no tearing that was slightly visible on LG.

Watched The New Mutants last night in HDR. Dark dark movie but never felt I missed any details. In outdoor scenes, the picture wasn't blinding either. The movie is definitely not a showcase for HDR but dark scenes were very natural.

Some pics to demonstrate the difference.
Please be noted that it is only representative and not absolute.

LG is in Cinema mode with Warm2 mode. Cannot get warmer than this. Also the white balance setting is adjusted slightly to reduce blue and increase red otherwise it is more blue-er. (TV caliberation with darco settings)

LG
L1.jpg

Sony
S1.jpg

Blown up parts are of different light intensity. Sony is more impactful and represents the blond hair and skin colour better with better highlights. LG appears bluish.

LG
L2.jpg

Sony
S2.jpg

Sony represents the evening sun and the resultant glow in trees and ground better in the picture. Also there is a bit of black crush in LG towards the far right and far left.

LG
L3.jpg

Sony
S3.jpg

Notice the intensity of the table lamp and overall warmer colour in sony. LG appears bluish which is kind of evident in comparison.

LG
L4.jpg

Sony
S4.jpg

Notice black crush in far right in LG.

Last edited:

LG
View attachment 52361

Sony
View attachment 52362

Blown up parts are of different light intensity. Sony is more impactful and represents the blond hair and skin colour better with better highlights. LG appears bluish.

LG
View attachment 52363

Sony
View attachment 52364

Sony represents the evening sun and the resultant glow in trees and ground better in the picture. Also there is a bit of black crush in LG towards the far right and far left.

LG
View attachment 52365

Sony
View attachment 52366

Notice the intensity of the table lamp and overall warmer colour in sony. LG appears bluish which is kind of evident in comparison.

LG
View attachment 52367

Sony
View attachment 52368

Notice black crush in far right in LG.
Lg looks much better in the pics shared especially with the skin tones.Sony looks very pinkish.Also look at the blue in the background of the first image it’s completely washed out .The grass in the second image is also washed out in the Sony and in then LG it looks much better with punchy green colours .Which scene is that having black crush in the last image? Can you share along with time stamp so I can check on my c9?

Last edited:
Lg looks much better in the pics shared especially with the skin tones.Sony looks very pinkish.Also look at the blue in the background of the first image it’s completely washed out .The grass in the second image is also washed out in the Sony and in then LG it looks much better with punchy green colours .Which scene is that having black crush in the last image? Can you share along with time stamp so I can check on my c9?

Could be the case of getting used to the picture. Happens lot in stereo.

Sony is generally warmer and represents sun, fire, lamps, yellow, indoor warm lighting well. (IMO skin tones too)
LG is colder (or maybe neutral from where you look) and has its own set of things that are represented well. (Netflix - Startrek discovery is super good since it is predominantly cool setting).

All pics are from netflix "The haunting of Bly manor S1E4 (The way it came)" in the first 20 or so minutes. DV in both.
As I said before, could not watch a part in one tv and continue in another. If you start a series in either one, can watch it to completion without comparison.

Could be the case of getting used to the picture. Happens lot in stereo.

Sony is generally warmer and represents sun, fire, lamps, yellow, indoor warm lighting well. (IMO skin tones too)
LG is colder (or maybe neutral from where you look) and has its own set of things that are represented well. (Netflix - Startrek discovery is super good since it is predominantly cool setting).

All pics are from netflix "The haunting of Bly manor S1E4 (The way it came)" in the first 20 or so minutes. DV in both.
As I said before, could not watch a part in one tv and continue in another. If you start a series in either one, can watch it to completion without comparison.
Let me check the scene once I get power and update here.Chennai heavy rains and flood so no power. If possible will try to share a pic as well. I use cinema mode but use warm 1. You will definitely have a better experience with Sony cause it’s 65 inch. I dropped my idea of tv upgrade after auditioning 55inch Oled for a month. Only after auditioning 65 inch I went with the c9. The 10 inch difference will have a huge impact with PQ especially for HDR and DV. In one showroom they had 55,65 and 77 inch c9 next to each other. Even though same models playing same content I found the PQ to be better in the bigger screens.

Thank you.

Minor differences. I did notice the LG black crush in my comparison as well. I didn’t like the neon looking greens (grass especially) on LG.

Watched Thor Ragnarok and 1917 in 4K (not HDR) via Apple TV.

1917 starting at 1:07:00 has more shadow details as Schofield struggles up the stairs. Later as he makes a run through the ruins guided by the flares, the motion looks sharper. At 1:20:30 when he hiding from the drunk German, there is more detail and less noise/blocking.

Thor Ragnaork looks a bit more clean and 3D like on Sony. On LG it looks suitably colourful but less sharp.

Very much nitpicking but, yes, there are differences. That’s expected with 2 different manufacturers. It is a shame that we don’t have true RGB OLED.

Let me check the scene once I get power and update here.Chennai heavy rains and flood so no power. If possible will try to share a pic as well. I use cinema mode but use warm 1. You will definitely have a better experience with Sony cause it’s 65 inch. I dropped my idea of tv upgrade after auditioning 55inch Oled for a month. Only after auditioning 65 inch I went with the c9. The 10 inch difference will have a huge impact with PQ especially for HDR and DV. In one showroom they had 55,65 and 77 inch c9 next to each other. Even though same models playing same content I found the PQ to be better in the bigger screens.
Cinema with warm 1 is very cool. That could explain the stronger blues.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back