OLED TV's price/best quote thread

I’m being quoted 2 lakhs for a 65 inch C8.

What’s the good price a 65 inch Sony A8f? I’m being quoted 3.2 lakhs.

Bajaj electronics hyderabad. However asked for 3.5L and they are not even calling me anymore. Will wait till Jan 6 when new tvs are announced in CES 2019.

If you could pm/message me the number and name of the person at Bajaj electronics, it would be a huge help.

Why are people queing up to pay double the price for Sony oleds? The LG C8 is still available for 2.05 lac.

Last edited:
Why are people queing up to pay double the price for Sony oleds? The LG C8 is still available for 2.05 lac.

LG C8 was my first choice as well. But then I found out that the SDR calibration (greyscale and CMS) doesn't get mapped to the HDR modes. Both HDR10 and Dolby Vision modes have to be calibrated separately and for that, the HDR Pattern Generator and HDR Colorimeter together cost a whopping $2200.
Including customs, this will come up to 2.35 lakhs.

I figured instead of buying an LG C8 for 2 lakhs and then HDR calibration equipment for another 2.35 lakhs, it would be better to buy a Sony OLED as it can map the SDR calibration to the HDR modes.

A few months ago, I had jumped on this deal from SpectraCal which offered both the Calman Home Enthusiast software license as well as an SDR colorimeter for $500. After customs, I ended up paying around 47k total for it.

Now with the Sony OLED, I can simply run AutoCal in SDR mode with the above equipment and it'll also get mapped to the HDR modes.
I thought of getting an A8F and doing a manual calibration with Calman but the I found the ABL too aggressive in anything more than a 10% window. It was way too dim compared to the bright C8.
Fortunately, the Sony A9f matches the LG C8's ABL algorithm, so they should both have the same luminance even with an 80% window.

I also prefer the gamma curve of the Sony A9f compared to the LG C8. I prefer clipping a little bit of the highlight detail to maintain brightness as opposed to LG's gamma curve, which tries to retain as much detail as possible in the specular highlights at the expense of brightness. Of course, no right or wrong here as it comes down to the viewer's personal taste.

The Sony A9f also has increased color saturation in areas of high luminance such as emissive sources in the frame. This is something I've seen other OLEDs struggle with. This is of utmost importance to me as I've grown quite used to the highly saturated highlights in HDR on my LCD-based JVC projector. Color is where I feel LCDs excel.

The dynamic tone mapping of the A9f is quite extraordinary, and perhaps slightly better than the C8, which can be prone to luminance fluctuations. Granted, there are currently issues with Dolby Vision on the A9f, but I plan to use HDR10 with dynamic tone mapping to make up for it. The C8 seems to do Dolby Vision better than the A9f, especially since it's a hardware-based solution.

The A9f also has better near-black handling. The LG C8 can sometimes have macroblocking in areas just above black.

The A9f has slightly smoother color gradation, especially in scenes like the sky in The Martian or in lower bitrate sources like Netflix. While the C8 also has a smooth gradation feature, I don't like how it's tied to the Noise Reduction feature.

Finally, I also look forward to the acoustic surface. While I do have dedicated speakers, I'm hoping the Acoustic Surface will work well for late-night viewing or for more mellow dialogue-based content where a full onslaught of sound isn't required.

But mainly, it's the calibration that pivoted me to the A9f. If the LG C8 had SDR-to-HDR mapping, I would've bought the C8 a few days ago as it's literally half the price of the A9f. (Even if the calibration equipment were cheaper, I would've gone for the C8. But as it stands right now, I'd rather put the money towards an A9f rather than HDR calibration equipment.)

Last edited:
LG C8 was my first choice as well. But then I found out that the SDR calibration (greyscale and CMS) doesn't get mapped to the HDR modes. Both HDR10 and Dolby Vision modes have to be calibrated separately and for that, the HDR Pattern Generator and HDR Colorimeter together cost a whopping $2200.
Including customs, this will come up to 2.35 lakhs.

I figured instead of buying an LG C8 for 2 lakhs and then HDR calibration equipment for another 2.35 lakhs, it would be better to buy a Sony OLED as it can map the SDR calibration to the HDR modes.

A few months ago, I had jumped on this deal from SpectraCal which offered both the Calman Home Enthusiast software license as well as an SDR colorimeter for $500. After customs, I ended up paying around 47k total for it.

Now with the Sony OLED, I can simply run AutoCal in SDR mode with the above equipment and it'll also get mapped to the HDR modes.
I thought of getting an A8F and doing a manual calibration with Calman but the I found the ABL too aggressive in anything more than a 10% window. It was way too dim compared to the bright C8.
Fortunately, the Sony A9f matches the LG C8's ABL algorithm, so they should both have the same luminance even with an 80% window.

I also prefer the gamma curve of the Sony A9f compared to the LG C8. I prefer clipping a little bit of the highlight detail to maintain brightness as opposed to LG's gamma curve, which tries to retain as much detail as possible in the specular highlights at the expense of brightness. Of course, no right or wrong here as it comes down to the viewer's personal taste.

The Sony A9f also has increased color saturation in areas of high luminance such as emissive sources in the frame. This is something I've seen other OLEDs struggle with. This is of utmost importance to me as I've grown quite used to the highly saturated highlights in HDR on my LCD-based JVC projector. Color is where I feel LCDs excel.

The dynamic tone mapping of the A9f is quite extraordinary, and perhaps slightly better than the C8, which can be prone to luminance fluctuations. Granted, there are currently issues with Dolby Vision on the A9f, but I plan to use HDR10 with dynamic tone mapping to make up for it. The C8 seems to do Dolby Vision better than the A9f, especially since it's a hardware-based solution.

The A9f also has better near-black handling. The LG C8 can sometimes have macroblocking in areas just above black.

The A9f has slightly smoother color gradation, especially in scenes like the sky in The Martian or in lower bitrate sources like Netflix. While the C8 also has a smooth gradation feature, I don't like how it's tied to the Noise Reduction feature.

Finally, I also look forward to the acoustic surface. While I do have dedicated speakers, I'm hoping the Acoustic Surface will work well for late-night viewing or for more mellow dialogue-based content where a full onslaught of sound isn't required.

But mainly, it's the calibration that pivoted me to the A9f. If the LG C8 had SDR-to-HDR mapping, I would've bought the C8 a few days ago as it's literally half the price of the A9f. (Even if the calibration equipment were cheaper, I would've gone for the C8. But as it stands right now, I'd rather put the money towards an A9f rather than HDR calibration equipment.)
Wow alrighty!!! Are you going to be doing professional work with the tv?

The quote - "ignorance is bliss" is so true :)

calling all Panasonic plasma owner who have experienced problem with service center or tell your experience plasma or led warranty experience to help me because i am going to consumer court so need some evidences incidences
Start a new discussion about your experience and invite other's views. That would be better. This is a different discussion.

By the way I found a recent review of af9 where they said that there was a lot of moire and noise on the edges of the objects in panning shots. It is exacerbated by the feature "pixel contrast booster". Another review said that there were some unexpected motion issues on A9F.

LG C8 55 INCH-1.4 Lakh
65 "- 2.25 lakh
sony AF8 55 inch-2.2 Lakh
sony A9F 55 inch-3.1 Lakh

Cash back offer for per card Rs 6000 ,but we have to pay Rs 60000 swipe.
so two cards may end up with 12K cash back
Offers at bangalore

LG C8 55 INCH-1.4 Lakh
65 "- 2.25 lakh
sony AF8 55 inch-2.2 Lakh
sony A9F 55 inch-3.1 Lakh

Cash back offer for per card Rs 6000 ,but we have to pay Rs 60000 swipe.
so two cards may end up with 12K cash back
Offers at bangalore

During diwali the sony AF8 55 inch was 1.60 Lacs + cashback. I wonder whats wrong with sony's pricing strategy? May be they don't have enough margins as they purchase panels from LG.

Lg C8 55 inch was 1.4 Lacs + cashback during diwali. The LG pricing is a lot more sensible. That explains why Lg rules OLED sales worldwide. May be they have enough margins as they make their own panels .

During diwali the sony AF8 55 inch was 1.60 Lacs + cashback. I wonder whats wrong with sony's pricing strategy? May be they don't have enough margins as they purchase panels from LG.

Lg C8 55 inch was 1.4 Lacs + cashback during diwali. The LG pricing is a lot more sensible. That explains why Lg rules OLED sales worldwide. May be they have enough margins as they make their own panels .
Really sony pricing is very weird and LG also increasing prices

Dear LG Oled Owners Please answer-
I am planning to buy a LG C8 55" for 1.3 with 10 k cash back after 3 months which means effective price will be 1.2. Is it a good price considering we are in 2019 ??& c9 is about to launch sooner or later in india & i am offered with( 1+1) year additional warranty on panel. I have a doubt, if in these two years i face any burn in issue on screen than is it covered under panel warranty?? Will LG replace by panel ?? i got this quotation for LG authorized Brand store.

Your answers to this will be highly appreciated .

Thanks in Advance!!

Dear LG Oled Owners Please answer-
I am planning to buy a LG C8 55" for 1.3 with 10 k cash back after 3 months which means effective price will be 1.2. Is it a good price considering we are in 2019 ??& c9 is about to launch sooner or later in india & i am offered with( 1+1) year additional warranty on panel. I have a doubt, if in these two years i face any burn in issue on screen than is it covered under panel warranty?? Will LG replace by panel ?? i got this quotation for LG authorized Brand store.

Your answers to this will be highly appreciated .

Thanks in Advance!!
It's a good deal. And a good TV.
Buy it. Use the TV normally and enjoy.
Switch channels and content regularly.
1+1 is for panel issues.
Put your mind at ease and enjoy

Disclosure:
I have this model. Bought during 2018 Deepavali

Cheers,
Raghu

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back