Panasonic V20 Black Levels Illustrated

i am also planning to buy 40" or 42" HD tv
i hav budget of 70k
i mostly watch movies n viewing distance is between 8 feet to 14 feet
panasonic p42v20 looks good but saw a review on cnet which says that after long term use panasonic plasma loses black levels. somewhere after 1000 hrs of use.
Follow-up: Panasonic plasma black-level loss measured in long-term test | Crave - CNET

i cud see in variuos reviews ppl appreciate pioneer kuro plasma which is acquired by panasonic recently. but panasonic uses kuro only for VT model which 3D tv.

pioneer still uses kuro? are they better than panasonic plasma?
how much pioneer will cost in delhi?

Kuros are way too costly even if there are any still around. PM Murali, he has one, but be prepared to shell out in excess of 1 lakh, if you are lucky enough to find one, that is.

Kuros are an extinct series hence you will have to be prepared to pay through your nose if you can find one (most probably in Bangalore). One of forum member bought a 50" kuro for Rs 2.6 lakhs last fortnight..........

Now, here's one more INTENSE black level illustration.
This time on my Panasonic 50V20D. Mode: True Cinema. Contrast: 75. Brightness: -3
Choice of Bluray: The Dark Knight
Enjoy the magic unfurl ;-)

The ABSOLUTELY dark photos are of the credits. This is to show how the TV just disappears in my room. Rest of the photos speak for themselves.

2010-10-28230906DesktopResolution.jpg

2010-10-28230948DesktopResolution.jpg

2010-10-28230914DesktopResolution.jpg

2010-10-28231201DesktopResolution.jpg

2010-10-28231024DesktopResolution.jpg

2010-10-28231018DesktopResolution.jpg

2010-10-28231552DesktopResolution.jpg

my 50v20 never disappeared in the dark! and i knw it never will but ill still try -3 brightness. my brightness is always at 0

cheers

my 50v20 never disappeared in the dark! and i knw it never will but ill still try -3 brightness. my brightness is always at 0

cheers

Try the Dynamic mode, it will (almost) disappear.
For me, it is rather disappointment in other picture modes.

cheers

depends on the camera settings. Read vramak's earlier observations on this same thread. The V20 has great black levels nevertheless.

out of curiosity, whenever v20 is on normal mode does it turns of picture processing? because black levels degrades on a great level! even picture banding decreases on tata sky HD.

There are green pixels all over the black region on screen..coudl they be corrected somehow...

Also ..is it very important to run break in slides and all on a new v20..

if we just use the plasma on cinema or true cinema ...is that good for a new TV.

problem is i didn't knew abt running break in slide etc on new Tv and I am just using my TV since 20 days on low brightness and contrast..i need to did I spoiled the TV?????????

There are green pixels all over the black region on screen..coudl they be corrected somehow...

Also ..is it very important to run break in slides and all on a new v20..

if we just use the plasma on cinema or true cinema ...is that good for a new TV.

problem is i didn't knew abt running break in slide etc on new Tv and I am just using my TV since 20 days on low brightness and contrast..i need to did I spoiled the TV?????????

You can correct the green pixels by reducing brightness. Just set the brightness to the point where the green pixels just disappear. Then adjust contrast to your liking.

Running break-in slides is not necessary for V20. If you want to be 100% safe from burn-in, make sure you run the TV in zoom mode without black bars for the first 100-150 hours. That should be more than enough to break-in your TV.

And don't worry, you're certainly not spoiling your TV.

Hi team,
Though I know this question and its answer has been posted infinite no of times in this forum and internet, I would like to ask again as I read diff answers and got confused! Please let me the best way to run-in the TH-P42V20 plasma? Please also let me know should the eco mode be on or off and what should be other settings?

Thanks on advance

Many ways. For the first 150 hours:
  • use the break-in slides whenever not in use to watch content
  • run at low contrast (no more than 25%)
  • never keep the same channel for more than 2 hours
  • avoid playing games
  • use screen savers
But many people have told me that breaking-in, IR, burn-in, etc. are issues of the past.

cheers

No plasma will disappear in the dark not even the kuro, the blank sceen of plasma will always be gray (darker or lighter) depending upon the settings. When displaying blacks it is a different story though.

A full array local dimming LED LCD will be more disappearing than any plasma and even that wont fully disappear in the dark.This will become less effective when displaying dark scenes.

Only the future OLED technology will have screen that disappear in the dark.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back