Panasonic V20 Owners Thread (Settings, Problems, Impressions, Questions)

Greetings from Singapore...found abt this site from a NZ HT forum...

Wanted to share just received my 46V20S 3 days ago + Panny BDP45

just wanted to share first thots and opinions...am not a techie so no light meter readings etc & no techie vocab on some of the things i noticed

Went thru every post here as i do notice some of the artifacts mentioned...not too many though more abt that later

First impression -> BLOWN away especially with Blue Ray olds DVDs and my video cam TM-700K (1080P@60frames), SD was underwhelming pretty close to 2.5 year experience with a 37inch Toshiba.

Wifey was blown away too..she had been asking for a smaller 42 inch and me fighting for the 50incher...46inch was the sweet spot

Kids-> 3& 4 years olds -> what a big TV...no comment on qlty hahahah

My lesson: if you upgrade from a smaller crappier panel...you will almost 100% love this !! also size matters but your wife happiness and harmony too

Picture quality - SD as mentioned not terribly excited or impressed. Think also due to some of the settings i used to break -in the plasma...i am just guessing that most settings need to be lowered for the first 100 hours...have not downloaded any file to run a loop of pictures for XXXhrs...dare not to be honest....the US site has the most info but the Asia model seems to have diff settings and

Here is a useful link for those wanting to read abt break-in
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232441

Picture quality- blu Ray - awesome...very very cinematic quality...does not oevrwhelm the senses like some of the samsung LED i auditioned, good blacks natural colors

Pet peeves or issues encountered so far with some fixes

- Ghosting ard people's heads:mad:

...like a transparent shadow around peopl's heads in some scenes...like on a hot day when you see heat radiate from a distance ...best way to describe if someone has seen Philip's TV on pixel plus mode..
- family did not noticed but me...
WORK around = thank goodness it was all the unnecessary wizardry of the chips...turned on the TV 24 Smooth Film off...

I am still trying to learn abt this TV and settings, thoug my favorite settings are kept in Normal(viewing mode) every time i pop in a blu ray he TV says 24 cinema detected and goes to Cinema viewing mode

rainbows effect-
when there are changes in the scene i can sometimes see a rainbow effect around parts of the scene including people's faces etc.

sometimes when i bring up the subtitles i can see this as subtitles appear and disspear

I think its becuz of my own eyes and how they may be tired and also maybe my eyes can see more information than needed

Basically years ago before buying a LCD projector, i auditioned some DLP projectors...too bad for me though cheaper and higher resolution i was able to see the flashing rainbows..due to the color wheel...so had to buy a LCD projector

with the Panny after i played more and shut down more of the fancy picture enhancement tools, i do see less of this but can still see sometimes especially during the night

Floating blacks -
dun really notice them yet...to be honest not reading too many posts with these too...with my fussy eyes i probably start noticing them once i know what it it

dithering ??
I did notice especially on a green parts of the screen dancing pixels...this was apparent especially on the blu ray screen saver (panny) near the bottom right.
I began to notice sometimes when my face was right near the screen too
some level of it has been reduced with removing all the special effects...also changes to the TV's contrast helped a lot.

smudging of colors -
I especially noticed some smudging/pasty effect on parts when i used my HD DV cam. Its a TM-700 and i recorded in 1080Pat 60frames...again killing IFR, some other gimmicky tools did the job,
Also turning down contrast brightness helped some scene...though sometimes another effect was introduced like poorer facial clarity..

workarounds -continued tweaking

Picture Blurring during camera pans -

during some scenes, there is blurring when the camera pans from left to right/vice versa

I do some of it...not terrible as let's face it the camera is panning to a new focus area...our attention is meant to shift too...only when it pans across large scenery a wide shot can be bit irritating

** Viewing mode changes by it self
The TV because of my lack of knowledge of how to stop it seems to have a mind of its own..changing viewing mode (Normal to Cinema to Picture ) depending on the input..example everytime i pop in a blue ray, cinema mode comes on

Find this bit unnerving but probably there is a fix
Aspect ratio
Lastly from what i read you need to avoid the black bard during the run-in period 100hrs...i have to change frequently the aspect ratio by going into a pretty cumbersome menu...anyone know how to make this less painful?

Overall i am extremely pleased with my purchase...am sure most of you guys are enjoying it too

I need to remind myself to stop looking for faluts or reading too many forums...else i start to see them and they will bug me

take it from me...i sold a 6 month old sanyo Z2 projector years ago becuz of vertical banding, returned to Philips a 36inc wide-screen TV becuz of banding ....but that's for another entry!!! hahahah

Think my bext buy was the recent 37inch LCD 2.5 years ago, it helped me to appreciate my new Panny a lot more

PS the price i paid for mine was approx USD$1764, the 50 incher is USD$2132 here but no stocks up to October i hear

sorry for a super long first thread:licklips:

Today I pulled the trigger for 42" V20 for 64.5K with a Panasonic hair dryer free in Bangalore from a Panasonic brand shop.

Last edited:
Hi Experts,

I am very much keen on buying Pana P42V20D, but after doing lot of research i am worried about

• rainbows effect
  • Floating Blacks
  • Dithering

Also I want to use this in the main hall, if i use for watching normal channels like Sun TV, News Channels etc...which all the channel logos(Static images). Will this burn that portion of the screen.

Please advise....;

Hi Experts,

I am very much keen on buying Pana P42V20D, but after doing lot of research i am worried about

• rainbows effect
  • Floating Blacks
  • Dithering

Also I want to use this in the main hall, if i use for watching normal channels like Sun TV, News Channels etc...which all the channel logos(Static images). Will this burn that portion of the screen.

Please advise....;

Hi,

Most of the plasmas have anti burn in softwares that run in the background like pixel shift, this will ensure no burn in happens. Can anybody confirm this?

It should not matter as most of them are transparent logos. If you are particular, Get the SUN DTH. It does not have any logo of its own.

Hi Experts,

• rainbows effect
  • Floating Blacks
  • Dithering

Please advise....;

Yes, you'll occasionally see some rainbow effects (banding), dithering and floating blacks on the V20 (All plasmas will have some banding and dithering issues) . Floating blacks are apparent only in letterboxed movies but it can get annoying sometimes. V20 scores well in contrast, colors and black levels. Only you can decide what's more important to you.

Hi,

Most of the plasmas have anti burn in softwares that run in the background like pixel shift, this will ensure no burn in happens. Can anybody confirm this?

It should not matter as most of them are transparent logos. If you are particular, Get the SUN DTH. It does not have any logo of its own.

You really need not worry about image retention/burn-in with the V20. V20 is very IR resistant. In fact, no burn-in protection options are provided on the V20, which goes to show how IR resistant the TV is.

Hi Guys, here is how to check the panel ON time (number of hours used) for panasonic V20D plasmas. Just be careful not to change any setting while doing this. I have tried this yesterday and it worked fine for me.

1- Hold down V- on the TV and press "RECALL" button 3 times on the remote
2- Press 2 to get to SRV-TOOL
3- Press OK to Enter
4- Navigate to Bottom Right Hand Cell using the Directional Buttons on remote
5- Hold Down "Mute" for a Few Seconds and that is it............ used hours and
number of times the panel is switched ON will be displayed in the same row.
6- Press "EXIT" for few seconds to come out of this menu (The TV will reboot).

It does not erase any of your settings. BE VERY CAREFUL AND DO NOT CHANGE ANY SETTING WHILE PERFORMING ABOVE STEPS.

Prices in Delhi are around:

64 to 65K for 42V20D (at Panasonic Brand Shop in Kohat Enclave (Pitampura)
120-125K for 50V20D

@ Frank

Did you get any reply on your question about the wireless dongle? I just spoke to the Panasonic guys in Gurgaon. It seems the adapter is coming to India only after another 2 months. There are some answers on the Netgear website that mention the WNDA3100 is compatible with the v20. So then I spoke to the netgear guys. They asked me "where will you be installing the drivers for the adapter". I guess it would be the PC connected to my BB modem and router, no? But still havent heard from them after that.

Any ideas?

Hey Guys

why are the skin tones on my v20 so pasty? Faces look as if they are made of wax. What's happening?

I think wireless adapters for TV are expensive. I remember seeing V20 adapter being listed for $100 somewhere.

Well the panasonic brand wifi adapter is about 60 usd on Amazon, buy they dont deliver in India.

I am planning to get a 42v20 just based on reviews. Might sound crazy cos best judgement is your own eyes but no luck for me, none of the shops here in kochi stock v20. They don't even have much clue on the best price they can offer. I came to know that v20 is pretty cheap in bangalore, was about to get it from there when I got an offer for 63k from here itself, so what about the offer guys, should I take it? :)

Hey Guys

why are the skin tones on my v20 so pasty? Faces look as if they are made of wax. What's happening?

Finally a v20 owner with eyes.

What your talking about is banding and V20 suffers terribly with this, especially with skin tones.

not much you can do about this.

over a period of time two things will happen either you will end up saying that the banding has reduced after the break in period or your eyes will just get used to it.

The V20 is a mediocre plasma and is definitely over priced and has it share of significant and unforgivable flaws.

Unfortunately on this forum, people are just swayed by the positive V20 reviews and most of the negative posts are ignored. just like yours was and my previous posts too.

dont worry much. as theres nothing you can do about it.

Another average plasma that has taken this forum by storm is the PK550. I cant beleive the no. of people that buy it even after the innumerable issues that are highlighted.

As the saying goes "There's a sucker born every minute"

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back