Panasonic Viera 32'' LX800 vs Samsung Series 5

Thanks for a very clear point-by-point comparison.
I have a PS3 for DVD playback (as well as games) - and I may have a problem with MoviePlus (Samsung "Movie Plus" causing artifacts - AVForums.com)

Also I have very sensitive eyes and I think the 100hz might help with this. I think with me the viewership is 90% TV (parents) and 10% games+DVD (me).
So, I'm hoping I'm right in thinking the 800 series is the better choice.

well since u have a ps3 and are going to use it for gaming too u should consider a sony since it has the least input lag of less then 10ms the panasonic is at a quite high 30ms and the samsung are dead last .

Now that's where I get confused.Though for this distance, a 37' is probably the best option, but that is probably true only if one is watching HD.
For SD, from what I have read (and not from experience), it seems, that a bigger screen will lead to reduced picture quality (for the same distance).
If 37' is the best option, what are views on LG, especially, their LG53 37". Will that be any better than the Samsung A550P1 or Panasonic TX LX 80? I know I should go and take a look for myself, but , I trust your views as much as my sight (maybe a little bit more)....

Thanks for your response.
Well, my viewing distance maxes out at 10 ft. More likely it is 8-9 ft. Hence I had never thought of anything more than 37' or even a plasma because they seem to start only at 40'. In 37' also, I don't find too many good options. And I don't want to end up buying a 37' and then regret the PQ for SD or divx. Hence my head says go for the "practical" 32' and heart wants to go for the 37". There is the Panasonic 37LX80 but I would have liked to go for the 37 LX 800 which is not yet available here. Any ideas if and when it will be available? The compareindia site marks it as 'upcoming'.

Hi,
Sam claims 100Hz but I think not available on 32in size.
Pan has one more model 32LX85 which may be availale soon.
Last year they had Lx700 & 75.
Specificationswise both look similar.

Do anyone know the difference between 32LX800 & LX85?
Last year they launched 75 in AV exibition.Now AV exb is on
17,18,19 Oct in Mumbai.(Bombay Exb. Centre)
So I m looking for special price there.I want to finalise Pan or Sam
before that.

Awesome and rich pictures

That was the first thing that came to my mind when I visited Pansonic showroom today for a demo of Panasonic 42PV8. SD content were just wonderful and I was totally flabbergasted by the rich color the Pany produced, and all the time I had LX700 by its side. I realized what I was missing in LCD tvs :eek:

I sat around 11 feet all the time to enjoy the pictures, and indeed they were ust a joy to watch, oh plasmas !

Now, am totally torn between 32LX700 and 42PV8:( My viewing distance is 11 feet.

Sound was excellent.

Any plasma owners or 42PV8 owners, pls advise if my viewing distance is okay ?

Price quoted in Chennai for 42PV8 - 59k

Thanx.

OK, my understanding is that for a viewing distance of 8-9 ft & SD/divx input, best option is to go for a HD Ready 37' - the Panasonic 37 LX 800 seems to fit the bill, theoretically, but, it is not yet launched, or even the 37 LX 85 if and when launched. So that will have to wait.
I don't mind compromising on screen size in order to get clearer pictures, so second option will be 32' LX 800.
Under 37' the other top models from Samsung and LG are again Full HD, hence, probably out of consideration. The next series like Series 4 of Samsung provide HD Ready but they seem to compromise on other features.
Am I on the right track? Next step for me is to go and check out these models. But if anyone of you can suggest options, share views, please do so, it will help in coming to a decision.

That was the first thing that came to my mind when I visited Pansonic showroom today for a demo of Panasonic 42PV8. SD content were just wonderful and I was totally flabbergasted by the rich color the Pany produced, and all the time I had LX700 by its side. I realized what I was missing in LCD tvs :eek:

I sat around 11 feet all the time to enjoy the pictures, and indeed they were ust a joy to watch, oh plasmas !

Now, am totally torn between 32LX700 and 42PV8:( My viewing distance is 11 feet.

Sound was excellent.

Thanx.
well the comparison done by you isnt fair bcause u are comparing a plasma which has a contrast of around 1800:1 to a last years panasonic lcds,the LX800 series has a contrast of around 800:1 and the last years LX700 has even less contrast,so it will be fair to compare it to the sony or samsung which has the contrast levels of a plasma and they infact exceed most of the plasma except the FHD plasma from pioneer and panasonic PY800series.

OK, my understanding is that for a viewing distance of 8-9 ft & SD/divx input, best option is to go for a HD Ready 37' - the Panasonic 37 LX 800 seems to fit the bill, theoretically, but, it is not yet launched, or even the 37 LX 85 if and when launched. So that will have to wait.
I don't mind compromising on screen size in order to get clearer pictures, so second option will be 32' LX 800.
Under 37' the other top models from Samsung and LG are again Full HD, hence, probably out of consideration. The next series like Series 4 of Samsung provide HD Ready but they seem to compromise on other features.
Am I on the right track? Next step for me is to go and check out these models. But if anyone of you can suggest options, share views, please do so, it will help in coming to a decision.

well i would'nt recommend samsung 37inch lcds since they use CMO panels which has high color washout,if u dont find the panasonic u can go for the sony KLV-37S400A this lcd has a AMVA panel and the contrast levels are more then the panasonic and has comparable viewing angle almost as good as the A-IPS panels.

More than enough my friend....I keep my 42" HD Ready plasma about 7.5 feet away and it is perfect. And all the formulas I have seen have attested that thi sis a perfect distance.....except for the people who say "but it sounds too little".....don;t listen to them.....42" HD Ready works for 7 feet and above....so go for the plasma....it'll give you way more pleasure than a 32" LCD can dream of!

Sound was excellent.

Thanx.

More than enough my friend....I keep my 42" HD Ready plasma about 7.5 feet away and it is perfect. And all the formulas I have seen have attested that thi sis a perfect distance.....except for the people who say "but it sounds too little".....don;t listen to them.....42" HD Ready works for 7 feet and above....so go for the plasma....it'll give you way more pleasure than a 32" LCD can dream of!

Thanx psychotropic. Actually, I don't have more space to keep the floor standers away from TV if I wall mount a 42" TV, so I thought wall mounting a 32" would give enough space for the FS to be away from TV.

What can be done ?

Hello. This is my first post in this site. :) I've been actively reading this forum for reviews and tips on my purchase of a 32" LCD tv and a semi-pro home theater system.

So, I almost pinned on Sam Series 5, but after reading all the reviews and opinions i feel i should take a look at the Panasonic LX800 or 700.

@ Vinod David - Where is the Panasonic Showroom Chennai? Do you know anyone specific i can meet and talk to?

Yesterday I was at a Samsung show and i was totally blown over by the Series 4 Plasma tvs... It was just amazing... now i am confused as well just like the others.. :confused:

@ Dushie / Other Plasma owners as well - Will the plasma screen "burn out" as the sales guys keep warning me about? And the demo guys also warned me about some sorta heat radiation. Is it true? I know that plasmas start at 40 or 42" and my viewing distance is only 9-10 feet - it didn't look odd at all in that distance. Cost - I can stretch my budget to 50-55 K.

Please help guys.

And thnx for sharing your info and experiences in this forum. I will too once I'm done with my purchase :D

Cheers!

@ Vinod David - Where is the Panasonic Showroom Chennai? Do you know anyone specific i can meet and talk to?

Hi:

Panasonic Brand Shop - 85 , GN Chetty Road T. Nagar, Chennai. (next to Samsung Digital Shope). You can speak to Mr. Ashwin or Mr. Prabhu, very helpful guys.

Panasonic Brand Shop - Anna Nagar, towards the end of Roundtanna when you meet the Thirumangalam signal. Shop is at the left-hand side. Visited only once, so don't know any particular person.

PS - While you're in T.Nagar shop, don't forget to see the monster TV of em all - Panasonic 103" in full action:D

Hey Praveen, I own a Samsung 42" 4 series plasma (the 410) ....and it is mindblowing....for HD pictures it is outstanding, and at least as good as the panasonics....i am told the panasonics do a better job of upscaling SD pictures though....however most of my viewing is upscaled DVDs and they look out-standing on this baby. If you're in Chennai and want to check it out, please feel free to drop in at my place.

I am exactly like you...was going to buy a 32" LCD for 45k.....then saw this plasma for 55k and though....holy shit.....this is a way better experience! So i stretched my budget and bought it....and i am completely happy. Burn-in is not an issue at all. These TVs have pixel-shift technology, by which the entire image is shifted by a pixel or two every few minutes (you can turn this off). Also if you take adequate precautions and keep your brightness and contrast not too high for the first 100 hours, you should be fine. I of course look after it like a paranoid parent, and don't let still images remain on screen for more than a few seconds....but even if you're not a psycho like me, your plasma should give you a very satisfying experience :)

Yesterday I was at a Samsung show and i was totally blown over by the Series 4 Plasma tvs... It was just amazing... now i am confused as well just like the others.. :confused:

@ Dushie / Other Plasma owners as well - Will the plasma screen "burn out" as the sales guys keep warning me about? And the demo guys also warned me about some sorta heat radiation. Is it true? I know that plasmas start at 40 or 42" and my viewing distance is only 9-10 feet - it didn't look odd at all in that distance. Cost - I can stretch my budget to 50-55 K.

Please help guys.

And thnx for sharing your info and experiences in this forum. I will too once I'm done with my purchase :D

Cheers!

is it the case that if you get a 42 inch the speakers will be close enough to screen to cause magnetic interference? then you might have to reduce the size....but otherwise i don't see the problem.....so long as you keep the speakers at the distance that you like, it shouldn't matter how much distance is there from the screen to the speakers.

And once again to Praveen....i watch my 42-inch PLasma from 7.5 feet away,and it's perfect and strain free.

Thanx psychotropic. Actually, I don't have more space to keep the floor standers away from TV if I wall mount a 42" TV, so I thought wall mounting a 32" would give enough space for the FS to be away from TV.

What can be done ?

Hi:

Panasonic Brand Shop - 85 , GN Chetty Road T. Nagar, Chennai. (next to Samsung Digital Shope). You can speak to Mr. Ashwin or Mr. Prabhu, very helpful guys.

Panasonic Brand Shop - Anna Nagar, towards the end of Roundtanna when you meet the Thirumangalam signal. Shop is at the left-hand side. Visited only once, so don't know any particular person.

PS - While you're in T.Nagar shop, don't forget to see the monster TV of em all - Panasonic 103" in full action:D

Thanks Vinod... I checked both these shops. The prices both these quoted were more compared to the multi-brand dealers in chennai. So i'm going with a small time multi-brand dealer who's giving me a very good pricing.

Oh, and i did check out the 103"... *gasp* purely awesome... :cool:

Thanks Vinod... I checked both these shops. The prices both these quoted were more compared to the multi-brand dealers in chennai. So i'm going with a small time multi-brand dealer who's giving me a very good pricing.

Oh, and i did check out the 103"... *gasp* purely awesome... :cool:

Praveen:

Yeah, both are a bit expensive. Pls tell me what brand and what size tv ur getting from which dealer. I am also roaming all over chennai for the best price for 42" plasma. I might as well buy my tv from him. thanx.

If you're in Chennai and want to check it out, please feel free to drop in at my place.

Thnx bro for the invite... :) I'm going to pick up the panasonic LV8 42" tonight... :D took my friends along for the demo and they were really impressed. Like i quoted above i got a comparatively good deal on the price from a small time dealer guy. But since I've gone a little overboard on my budget I thought it would be wiser if i wait and invest on a HT system a few months down the line...

From my viewing distance of 12-13 feet at the demo, i was very impressed with the SD quality pictures that the TV churned out... Because most of my viewing is going to be TV (T.Sky). The blacks and reds are deep and rich.

The only thing i think i'm going to have an issue is the that all the connectivity ports are located on the backside and for someone like me who's going to wall mount the TV its going be a hassle everytime i need to change or connect cables, coz there's only probably half-a-feet gap between the wall and the backside of the TV! Of course there is one S-video port in the front (no HDMI - front port available only on PV80).

I'm quite excited about my purchase... waiting for it to come home... :)

Praveen.

Glad you liked Pana PV8, yeah you loved the rich and the depth in color it offered, that's how great it is, plasma.

Well, just spoke to Prabhu of T.nagar shop, yeah, he remembers you coming yesterday:D

What's viewing distance in your home by the way ?

The only thing i think i'm going to have an issue is the that all the connectivity ports are located on the backside and for someone like me who's going to wall mount the TV its going be a hassle everytime i need to change or connect cables, coz there's only probably half-a-feet gap between the wall and the backside of the TV! Of course there is one S-video port in the front (no HDMI - front port available only on PV80).

Praveen:

Don't bother about the gap between the wall and tv, you dont need to strain yourself to connect or disconnect cable; the wall panel of PV8 has a mechanism that allows PV8 to move upwards to some distance - like you can catch the bottom of the tv with your right hand and pull it upwards and your PV8 moves up to may be 1 feet or above for a hassle free cable management;)

hey Praveen....congratulations.....i am happy to see the "viewing distance" nazis have not deprived of getting yourself a nice, big, immersive picture :)....welcome to the Plasma world....

please do tell us what price you got on the PV8 as well....and from where....

Thnx bro for the invite... :) I'm going to pick up the panasonic LV8 42" tonight... :D took my friends along for the demo and they were really impressed. Like i quoted above i got a comparatively good deal on the price from a small time dealer guy. But since I've gone a little overboard on my budget I thought it would be wiser if i wait and invest on a HT system a few months down the line...

From my viewing distance of 12-13 feet at the demo, i was very impressed with the SD quality pictures that the TV churned out... Because most of my viewing is going to be TV (T.Sky). The blacks and reds are deep and rich.

I'm quite excited about my purchase... waiting for it to come home... :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back