Panasonic Viera 32'' LX800 vs Samsung Series 5

Mr Phantom...trust u won't get to bed tonight without putting down your review :rolleyes:

Sorry to keep you all waiting. But it was 1.30 when I went to sleep yesterday (or today rather). Here are my initial thoughts on the 32LX800:

Out of the box, the default settings are too bright with rich colors - human beings looked like wax statues. I had to do a lot of tweaking to get good pictures on SD. (I am using Sun Direct DTH). With some trial and error, I got very decent PQ. Currently I am using a composite cable, but will switch to S-Video, when I get the cable this weekend.

The IPS alpha panel is just brilliant. We tried watching at extreme angles and did not notice any degradation in contrast. Even my wife was surprised as this was her biggest concern going for LCD TV. One of our neighbor's LG LCD has poor viewing angle.

Initially, I tried some DVDs and 720p DIVX movies on my Philips 3166 DVD player. Since I had used the composite connection, the PQ wasnt so good. I switched to components and turned on the progressive scan on the DVD player. At 576p (which is the maximum my DVD player can output), the PQ was acceptable with less artifacts, but still I think there is a lot of room for improvement. I think I need to test with a HDMI source. (Read: More moolah required)

What impressed me most is the 100 Hz implementation on this TV. Everyone's favorite test, the CNBC scrolling ticker passed with flying colors. The text was solid and looked as good as on a CRT TV. I have seen much more expensive 100 Hz TVs (Especially the Samsung 6 series) failing miserably on this test. Again, to test fast action, I tried the Knight Rider 2008 Season 1, Episode 1 720p downloaded video - the motion blurr wasn't there at all. The black levels exhibited are deep and brilliant. (Knight Rider 2008 series recently started in North America. You can download the episodes through torrents)

As another member has repeatedly posted in the forum, the SQ is the biggest weak link in this TV. The sound is very soft with virtually no bass. I tried to tweak the bass, treble and surround settings a lot and finally gave up. I have to invest immediately in a good 2.0 or 2.1 system. I do not have space for 5.1 or so. I am currently looking at Creative GigaWorks T40, any alternative suggestions for space saving systems in the 5k to 7k range is welcome.

There you have it, those are only my initial impressions. If you need any specific tests or questions, please post, I will try out and let you know. I will keep updating this thread with more findings as I use my set thoroughly.

==========================
Updated to include model number

Last edited:
How was you able to reduce from 42 to 38k?
How did you patav them?
I m planning to go to Kohinoor within 2 days.
Was the stall of pany belonged to Kohinoor in AV exibin Mumbai?

I spoke to a guy named Jeet. (99303 66440). He was in charge.
He said that upon payment he would deliver home.
I found him to be a nice guy but you check him out too.
Yes, Kohinoor had the Panasonic stall there.

Now that Phantom has it and likes it, I too will probably go for it.:)

Phantom,

Which is the tv you have bought.

I just saw you were talking about PV 8 in the other thread.

Is it PV 8 or 32" lx 800.

Phantom,

Which is the tv you have bought.

I just saw you were talking about PV 8 in the other thread.

Is it PV 8 or 32" lx 800.

Hmmm... This is about the LX800. If you are following this thread, you will know that I had booked it last week.

Couple of my friends purchased the PV8. We all went together to get a nice deal.

hey phantom enjoy your TV! Just spend 5k on an upscaling DVD player with HDMI and it'll make your experience much more enjoyable, and 5k is not much.

For speakers for the TV you can consider the Audioengine A2s. They cost about 9-10k and are outstanding. But the makers themselves warn that they are not great for speech.....best suited for music. But it should still be a dramatic improvement over your TV speakers.

Sorry to keep you all waiting. But it was 1.30 when I went to sleep yesterday (or today rather). Here are my initial thoughts on the 32LX800:

Out of the box, the default settings are too bright with rich colors - human beings looked like wax statues. I had to do a lot of tweaking to get good pictures on SD. (I am using Sun Direct DTH). With some trial and error, I got very decent PQ. Currently I am using a composite cable, but will switch to S-Video, when I get the cable this weekend.

The IPS alpha panel is just brilliant. We tried watching at extreme angles and did not notice any degradation in contrast. Even my wife was surprised as this was her biggest concern going for LCD TV. One of our neighbor's LG LCD has poor viewing angle.

Initially, I tried some DVDs and 720p DIVX movies on my Philips 3166 DVD player. Since I had used the composite connection, the PQ wasnt so good. I switched to components and turned on the progressive scan on the DVD player. At 576p (which is the maximum my DVD player can output), the PQ was acceptable with less artifacts, but still I think there is a lot of room for improvement. I think I need to test with a HDMI source. (Read: More moolah required)

What impressed me most is the 100 Hz implementation on this TV. Everyone's favorite test, the CNBC scrolling ticker passed with flying colors. The text was solid and looked as good as on a CRT TV. I have seen much more expensive 100 Hz TVs (Especially the Samsung 6 series) failing miserably on this test. Again, to test fast action, I tried the Knight Rider 2008 Season 1, Episode 1 720p downloaded video - the motion blurr wasn't there at all. The black levels exhibited are deep and brilliant. (Knight Rider 2008 series recently started in North America. You can download the episodes through torrents)

As another member has repeatedly posted in the forum, the SQ is the biggest weak link in this TV. The sound is very soft with virtually no bass. I tried to tweak the bass, treble and surround settings a lot and finally gave up. I have to invest immediately in a good 2.0 or 2.1 system. I do not have space for 5.1 or so. I am currently looking at Creative GigaWorks T40, any alternative suggestions for space saving systems in the 5k to 7k range is welcome.

There you have it, those are only my initial impressions. If you need any specific tests or questions, please post, I will try out and let you know. I will keep updating this thread with more findings as I use my set thoroughly.

==========================
Updated to include model number

Hmmm... This is about the LX800. If you are following this thread, you will know that I had booked it last week.

Couple of my friends purchased the PV8. We all went together to get a nice deal.

You can go for LG-DV388(usb) with free HDMI cable for 3500only.

1.How do you compare SD of 800 with CRT?
2.Does it has Backlight control?
3.Is sound quality so bad?I wld be happy to get sound atleast clear,audible like CRT.

You can go for LG-DV388(usb) with free HDMI cable for 3500only.

1.How do you compare SD of 800 with CRT?
2.Does it has Backlight control?
3.Is sound quality so bad?I wld be happy to get sound atleast clear,audible like CRT.

Thanks for the LG suggestion. I will have a look.

Regarding your questions:
1. I honestly feel that no LCD can match the SD quality of CRT. But with a little bit of tweaking of settings, I was able to achieve a very acceptable SD picture quality. I wont say it is better than CRT. If you watch mostly SD content, Plasma is your best bet.
2. No backlight control.
3. It is not that bad. If you want only clear, audible sound, then you will be happy with what you get in LX800. If you are an audiophile, then prepare to invest in a good pair of speakers/HT setup.

Thanks for the LG suggestion. I will have a look.

Regarding your questions:
1. I honestly feel that no LCD can match the SD quality of CRT. But with a little bit of tweaking of settings, I was able to achieve a very acceptable SD picture quality. I wont say it is better than CRT. If you watch mostly SD content, Plasma is your best bet.
2. No backlight control.
3. It is not that bad. If you want only clear, audible sound, then you will be happy with what you get in LX800. If you are an audiophile, then prepare to invest in a good pair of speakers/HT setup.

I am surprise to know no backlight control.Pan India website says it has
Backlight control.Vinod David told me that LX700 has it,which you can control from the Service Menu.Check it for 800.

1.Does it make any problem for picture setting?

2.Web also says that it can play 24p,is it so?

Secondly I have found LG gives best SD,even scarlet comparable to CRT.

well there are various benifits of backlight control ,in my sony lcd tv i always put the backlight to bare minimum or nowdays turn the light sensor on which controls the backlight according to room light,if u don't switch on the light sensor on in the nights its feel to bright and harsh for the eyes.also when u have baccklight control u can lower the power consumption of the tv in my case the sony tv displays the power cosumption in a horizontal bar.
and for people who want to caliberate there lcds backlight control plays a crutial role.

and BTW guys HD channels like natinal geographic HD and history channel HD are available in MEASAT 3 sattelite the same sattelite that gives Big tv signals,so is another free to air channel called VOOM HD also present in the same sattelite,in another sattelite there is LUX HD channel abd Ftv HD channel both are free to air channels.
so better start taking into consideration the HD capabilities of lcds ,its only a matter of time before we get HD channels in 2009 all dth providers will surely give HD channels,and if some one can source HD stb u can even watch free to air hd channels right now.
according to big tv they plan to have about 15 Hd channels by the end of 2009.

Last edited:

Hi Phantom:

Congrats on your purchase of excellent LX800. Thanks for your extensive review of the same, you are indeed a happy man now:)

Yeah, as I said, sound let it down. From what I observed, LX700 has an excellent sound, but PQ is better in LX800. I love them both:D.

I am surprise to know no backlight control.Pan India website says it has
Backlight control.Vinod David told me that LX700 has it,which you can control from the Service Menu.Check it for 800.

1.Does it make any problem for picture setting?

2.Web also says that it can play 24p,is it so?

Secondly I have found LG gives best SD,even scarlet comparable to CRT.

Yes backlight along with PIP and SRS are a few features which disappeared in the LX800 when compared to the older LX700.

Hi Phantom:

Congrats on your purchase of excellent LX800. Thanks for your extensive review of the same, you are indeed a happy man now:)

Yeah, as I said, sound let it down. From what I observed, LX700 has an excellent sound, but PQ is better in LX800. I love them both:D.

Hi Vinod,

You remember you told me that lx700 has Backlight control?
Phantom says there is no such provision in 800.
Pls confirm this.

Yes backlight along with PIP and SRS are a few features which disappeared in the LX800 when compared to the older LX700.

Hi phantom,

Can you confirm model no?
LX800A doesnt have Backlight control.
LX800C has as per Pan-India website.

Hi Vinod,

You remember you told me that lx700 has Backlight control?
Phantom says there is no such provision in 800.
Pls confirm this.

Hi Spirovious:

Yeah, this is what I said "Yes, LX700 has backlight control, which you can control from the Service Menu. Since you have a HT setup, you can take the plunge and get an LX800."

Today I checked LX80 & 8 and found that there is no Backlight control.
I cldnt get the response time.So can you tell me Res.time of 800?

OK, how much does backlight control really matter? Does it lead to enormous differences in PQ?

OK, how much does backlight control really matter? Does it lead to enormous differences in PQ?

To me

1. Backlight can give good Blacklevel & colour reproduction.
2.It can increase lamps life if kept at lower levels.
3.As yrs pass,screen can look dull(poor). Then increasing Backlight can give better performance.

I may be wrong then pls correct this.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back