Purchased Pioneer BDP 170

Hi Santhosh4, where did you buy the BDP-170, online or at some retail shop (if from a shop, where it is in bangalore)? By the way, what is the blu-ray region of your player?

@biswarap,

I too had encountered the same problem. Check if your settings on the BDP-170 are IN accordance as follows:

AUDIO OUTPUT Digital output: PCM
Downmix: Stereo
Max sampling freq.: 48 K
DRC: Off

HDMI Colour space: YbCr422
Resolution: Auto
HDMI audio out: Bitstream
Control: Off
HDMI D.C.: Off
HDMI 1080p/24: On
HDMI 3D: Auto
3D Notice: Yes

Somehow, the above settings were altered and I too missed the display of DTS HD-MA, and DOLBY TRUE HD, on the AVR. Now I have resorted to the above settings and I do get the proper display. Hope it helps.

Mr Basu.

BDP 170 is having good audio quality. But my understanding is that playing through CD Player will provide more better quality. I am thinking to add Marantz CD 6005 with AVR, instead of having Stereo Amp as I am already having Denon AVR 2100W. Can anyone guide will it work out ?

Pioneer BDP 170 is available at Fairdeal electronics, near Crawford market, Mumbai, The Shop, D.N.Road, as well as Dev-Pro, Lamignton road, Mumbai

Thanks for update.

Hi Spiro, when I purchased the BDP 170, 6 months ago the price was at its best at Alfa (with B&W) as compared to Fairdeal, I got it around Rs. 1000 cheaper, try to wait for stock at Alfa before you purchase it.

If you wish to check the features of the BDP, please feel free to drop in at my residence. Its always my pleasure.

Last edited:
Hi Spiro, when I purchased the BDP 170, 6 months ago the price was at its best at Alfa (with B&W) as compared to Fairdeal, I got it around Rs. 1000 cheaper, try to wait for stock at Alfa before you purchase it.

If you wish to check the features of the BDP, please feel free to drop in at my residence. Its always my pleasure.
Thanks Milton.Let me see if I can.:)

Hey,
I'm using my BDP 170 for my music playback from USB inputs; very good output.

I'm using BDP HDMI out to an Onkyo entry level AVR with Pioneer FS-52 speakers. I never tried the onboad DAC of the BDP -170; i suspect that might be better than ONKYO?

I'm planning to get a stereo setup. thinking of Marantz PM 6005 and KEF Q 300; connecting BDP 170 to Marantz Coaxial input. Hope this will give better audio output.. what you guys think?

Can it play MKV video files ?

Can we expect it to play all pirated DVDs ? etc?

All file formats downloaded using torrent ?

Can it play MKV video files ?

Can we expect it to play all pirated DVDs ? etc?

All file formats downloaded using torrent ?
I played some from my HDD hooked to USB BDp170 and it played happily.
It was a short testing though.let others also reply.

The Pioneer BDP-170, is an okay player, playable nearly all formats, pirated stuff and of course .mkv. But it lacks a decent interface. It is strictly lame. And moreover it does not have the progress bar - the one that is displayed when we pause while playing a video/audio file, by which we get a certain idea as to how much of the video/audio clip is remaining to be seen or heard. This feature is present in the Samsung BDP 5500, which retails at the same price as that of the Pioneer 170.

IMO - i wont compare Samsung DB with Pioneer BD, I had a Samsung BD which i used only once to check whether its working or not, i felt the menus are so childish and the video quality is no where near to PS3 or you tube HD videos. I packed it in the same way as it is and sold it off :).:cool:

Hi All,
I heard from a dealer in Mumbai that Pioneer is going to launch new BDP in India this month end or early Sep. Don't know if this means BDP-180.
Anyone having any info?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back