Sample Video & Sources to test 4K UHD HDR Formats: HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashnburn

Need to test some TVs & Apps for their:

HDR
HDR10
HDR10+
HLG
Dolby Vision
Dolby Atmos

Via:

Video Files of same (that I can download)
YouTube links ?
Netflix
Prime Video
Disney+

Please guide which ones to use/ leverage now in 2021.

Need to test some TVs & Apps for their:

HDR
HDR10
HDR10+
HLG
Dolby Vision
Dolby Atmos

Via:

Video Files of same (that I can download)
YouTube links ?
Netflix
Prime Video
Disney+

Please guide which ones to use/ leverage now in 2021.
To give a note:
Quality of HDR, HDR 10, HDR 10+ and Dolby Vision (Dual Layer ) depend heavily on bitrate of the Video.
True HD Dolby Atmos can be only experienced in UHD Player
UHD Discs with player provide Best Picture Quality to compare all the above formats...

Coming to the stream and apps:
There are usually provided at very low bit rate around 20mbps and Dolby Vision in single layer which is okayish and hardly to see any difference compared with HDR:

Free:
Dolby App:
You can experience Dolby Vison (Single Layer) and Dolby Atmos (DD+) with Dolby app which you can download from TV app store for free.
https://4kmedia.org/ for sample video files to download and test

Paid Apps:
Netflix (4K, Dolby Vison, Dolby Atmos in DD+ and HDR) , Amazon Prime (4K, HDR- You have to explicitly check in app, it is buried down in home menu)

True HD Dolby Atmos can be only experienced in UHD Player ...UHD Discs with player provide Best Picture Quality to compare all the above formats...
A media player like Shield should faithfully transfer the TrueHD-Atmos audio to say, an AVR without loss of quality. My AVR says that it is indeed receiving TrueHD-Atmos signal from Shield whenever I run rips with the specific audio content.

The same may be true for video content also, but I am not so sure.

A media player like Shield should faithfully transfer the TrueHD-Atmos audio to say, an AVR without loss of quality. My AVR says that it is indeed receiving TrueHD-Atmos signal from Shield whenever I run rips with the specific audio content.

The same may be true for video content also, but I am not so sure.
Ya for True HD Atmos we can play through Nivida Shield , but it cant play Dual Layer( FEL) Dolby Vision movies which only play in UHD players correctly.

Start with 'The Witcher' in Netflix.
Its got DV - does it mean it has DA? Tested it showed
3 Video options: DV Bright, DV Dark, DV Custom (What does the 3rd mean?)
How to test for D Atmos?
To give a note:
Quality of HDR, HDR 10, HDR 10+ and Dolby Vision (Dual Layer ) depend heavily on bitrate of the Video.
UHD Discs with player provide Best Picture Quality to compare all the above formats...
Understandable and fair assessment.
But we hardly ever go and get Discs anymore so we havent bought a player after the good ole DVD ages ago.
But, I can download files to test DV and DA on the TV & its capabilities for now.
Is there a preferred App/ Player (via PlayStore) or just pop into TV's Media / USB player?
There are usually provided at very low bit rate around 20mbps and Dolby Vision in single layer which is okayish and hardly to see any difference compared with HDR:
Compromise of Convenience.
Free:
Dolby App:
You can experience Dolby Vison (Single Layer) and Dolby Atmos (DD+) with Dolby app which you can download from TV app store for free.
Getting it as we speak.
Thanks - On my To do.
Paid Apps:
Netflix (4K, Dolby Vison, Dolby Atmos in DD+ and HDR) ,
Amazon Prime (4K, HDR- You have to explicitly check in app, it is buried down in home menu)
I saw DV on Witcher, any others that have the upper limit for test purposes?

To be honest, I am not an expert and in my own uneducated guess I speak, that, my Sony HTRT3 installed in my room started an upward throw during the trailer of Lawless island in Disney Hotstar. Although the sound bar 5.1 does not support Atmos nor does my Sony 9300D 65" room TV. The hall TV 8000H does but that's connected to Boat Avaante 2.1 so it sounded just stereo to my ears. In TV speaker too it sounds ordinary. So I imagine if the 8000H were to be connected to the Sony HTRT3, it could have sounded better than what my Sony 9300D can pass on to the HDMI ARC. But that upward throw really got my wife scoffing at me for spending 20k to just come up with "noices that can potentially disturb my aged parents". I was therefore not too keen in further research upon that epiphany that hit me that hey what's that sweet surround sound coming from atop the roof! I gotta try it sometime, man. When people aren't around to challenge me.

Ya for True HD Atmos we can play through Nivida Shield , but it cant play Dual Layer( FEL) Dolby Vision movies which only play in UHD players correctly.
It does play it but it ignores FEL and takes the data from RPU.

from atmos sound track point of view, its a good pick
It's Fantastic Series Atmos or otherwise, now since you mentioned it has good sound track will watch again

To give a note:

Free:
Dolby App:

Paid Apps:
Netflix (4K, Dolby Vison, Dolby Atmos in DD+ and HDR) , Amazon Prime (4K, HDR- You have to explicitly check in app, it is buried down in home menu)

Good source, Thank you!

now back to sources with good Video and Audio content for testing :)

It does play it but it ignores FEL and takes the data from RPU.
Some tv can also play with just MEL and for DV FEL Colours are not accurate, so I suggested UHD Player and more easy to compare different formats.

Do you guys understand what ATMOS is ? Its a mechanism of encoding sound - just like HDR, DV, etc is mechanism for video.
Its like the compare between HDR10, 10+ and DV. If source video or decoding device doesnt have one its not being "used".

If its not ATMOS encoded or ATMOS feature of my TV cannot pull or recreate any ATMOS out of the incoming Data its pointless.

We can go find a lot of Climax Fight/ or fancy music scenes - in General.
I am looking for ones that are ATMOS. Are you just saying or know for sure it has ATMOS sound?
from atmos sound track point of view, its a good pick
Try 6 underground movie ending fight scene for a true atmos and 4k testing
or otherwise, now since you mentioned it has good sound track will watch again

Free:
Dolby App:
I could not find this on the Android TV Play Store - Can you please confirm / link? "Dolby" doesnt give me any app.
Was it there before and is gone now? Can you share the APK?
I like such sites - will go through these to hopefully find all relevant files
Paid Apps:
Netflix (4K, Dolby Vison, Dolby Atmos in DD+ and HDR) ,
Amazon Prime (4K, HDR- You have to explicitly check in app, it is buried down in home menu)
So I have been able to observe DV show up on the Content (& Screen) when played it is with its Options by giving DV pic settings.
But I am not sure if there is ATMOS in there or is it assumed / will be part of any DV content?

@dsrsid - Yours was the the detailed response. I really appreciate it and hope that you can fill me in on the above.

Test clips, I doubt if it has files for Dolby Vision/HDR formats, but a good source for all the Sound formats. Its a huge content check the sizes before u download :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back