Samsung LAB650 OWNERS DISCUSSION, REVIEWS & OPINION

Hello,

Couple of questions before buying,

I live in Cairo, Egypt & the TV Model i'm buying is LA46B650, I assume thats an asian or australian model (Im really not sure), Is it okay to upload latest firmware from UK or US? cus when I visit samsung website to search for that model, latest firmware is dated 27 Nov. 2009 version 2001.1 <- i think thats pretty outdated.

I've seen its earlier model A656, the picture pretty impresses me much, just the game mode (Found in Entertainment) is pretty dark to me, is there any possibility to customize brightness when in game mode?

I've read some users complain that network connectivity is lost/disabled when upgrading to some firmware, is that fixed in the latest firmware yet?

Is there like a change-log for all firmware updates? i'm curious what such updates could be for a TV...

I'm willing to stream movies (mainly bluray .mkv files) from my PC to the TV, on Windows 7 64 Bit, is that possible to be done? If so, please mention the best scenario...

Thanks in advance....

@zabak how to change asia pacific in hidden menu as no display comes !!! nothin it comes !! help me !!

Please specify what exactly you did step by step, like what firmware version, description, No display comes means is with RF or AV Channels or compomnent..??

Try connecting DVD through AV and reply.
You ned to go thru hidden menu --search this post and select Tuner = asia_ATv
and it wiull be done.

Reply soon

@zabak
i actually updated the latest firmware from the uk site .... i downloaded extracted to the pen drive and connected to the tv and started updaiting its been said that it reboot in 3 seconds...after that nothing in display comes if i on it only the melody comes ...and the tv display is in off mode condition only...service persons came frm samsung they telling the board has worn out...it has to be replaced sum thing ..i dont have any clue...actually i bought the tv 3 days bck..and im frustated...

Oh boy...just make sure did u update to 3000 version from uk site..?
if yes....That version can not be de graded. I mean 2005 version is best.

Second possibility was may be electric fluctuation took place during firmware upgrade.

Is it no display or BLACK display...?

just try to press INFO+MENU+MUTE+POWER in quick sequence....

@ zabak .thats k ..i fighted and got a replacement of the tv ..and one more doubt ...while connecting the HDD wil it play all file format like .mov else i have to convert to mkv...and is it possible to strech the screen til borders ...a little gap of black surfaces on the top and the bottom r there...and btw how to copy files from the pen drive to the tv memory....and people say it has 1 1gb inbuilt memory but i dont find it ..only 150mb i can find...how is that....and how to configure the message option to show on tv screen....and my firmware version is 2002.5..and ya i updated the 3000 version from the uk site so wat cause it made to my tv....and btw 2005 version wat diff it makes compared to the 2002.5 version im bit nervous abt the firmware update for the next time for sure...

Last edited:
@ zabak .thats k ..i fighted and got a replacement of the tv ..and one more doubt ...while connecting the HDD wil it play all file format like .mov else i have to convert to mkv...and is it possible to strech the screen til borders ...a little gap of black surfaces on the top and the bottom r there...and btw how to copy files from the pen drive to the tv memory....and people say it has 1 1gb inbuilt memory but i dont find it ..only 150mb i can find...how is that....and how to configure the message option to show on tv screen....and my firmware version is 2002.5..and ya i updated the 3000 version from the uk site so wat cause it made to my tv....and btw 2005 version wat diff it makes compared to the 2002.5 version im bit nervous abt the firmware update for the next time for sure...

It does not play mov. (quicktime)
1) All mojor AVI, divx,mkv...etc etc codecs listed in my first post are supported.
2) Yes it is possible to stretch till borders by samygo's hacked firmware . DO NOT TRY IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE WHAT IT IS..!

3) 1 GB memory is preoccupied with firmware files, data, gallery etc etc. If you delete those you get more space.

4) 3000 firmware does not allow to downgrade. Without fear download from indian samsung site and update.
many small bugs are fixed. samsung never specifies change logs

@zabak ya i dont have much of knowledge abt firmware update in this LCD....u wel wisher r here to share some of the knowledge ...SHARING IS CARING ...
samygo's hacked firmware...is it good on update as im very much intrested on streching the movie til borders...i meant i wish to watch til the full screen...y dont u give up the link and help me regarding the right tips while updating this firmware ..and btw have u tried that 3000 version firmware ??? how u got to know abt that firmware?(and that 2005 firmware do the streching option) and wat main bug u seen in tis firmware that been retified also.......and any other feautre wat other people dont know particular feautre that of looking good also.....and how to browse internet on tv......other than the widgets option..i meant the regular browsing...im wished to explore my lcd at full extent......and wen i connect through the lan some movies has the option of forwarding and some can not be dont wat can be done for that and btw wen i connect the pendrive forward can be done to the media files that r in the pen drive....wil that be the same wen i connect the external hard disc drive to the hdd option....and lastly which video convertor i can use to convert videos and i have videos of m2ts formwat and it cant be played one movie alien thats mkv only even it cant be played so that wat common format i can convert which is gud in term of clarity and copactable with the tv ....guide me.....thanks bai.......(ps :eagerly waiting for ur reply for tis post )so make it asap..

Last edited:
hi guys i am new to this forum.. saw a couple of guys posting enquiries about the cost of Samsung-LA40B650 ..well i just purshased it today have got it diliverred i got it for 63,000 from dadar kohinoor.. with an offer that if mumbai indians wins the first ipl match ill get a dvd player free...sounds lame :eek:hyeah:

@zabak ya i dont have much of knowledge abt firmware update in this LCD....u wel wisher r here to share some of the knowledge ...SHARING IS CARING ...
samygo's hacked firmware...is it good on update as im very much intrested on streching the movie til borders...i meant i wish to watch til the full screen...y dont u give up the link and help me regarding the right tips while updating this firmware ..and btw have u tried that 3000 version firmware ??? how u got to know abt that firmware?(and that 2005 firmware do the streching option) and wat main bug u seen in tis firmware that been retified also.......and any other feautre wat other people dont know particular feautre that of looking good also.....and how to browse internet on tv......other than the widgets option..i meant the regular browsing...im wished to explore my lcd at full extent......and wen i connect through the lan some movies has the option of forwarding and some can not be dont wat can be done for that and btw wen i connect the pendrive forward can be done to the media files that r in the pen drive....wil that be the same wen i connect the external hard disc drive to the hdd option....and lastly which video convertor i can use to convert videos and i have videos of m2ts formwat and it cant be played one movie alien thats mkv only even it cant be played so that wat common format i can convert which is gud in term of clarity and copactable with the tv ....guide me.....thanks bai.......(ps :eagerly waiting for ur reply for tis post )so make it asap..

So many questions..atleast frame them them nicely so that they are readable.

1) Bugs for picture quality on HD content, Subtitles have been fixed.

2) No internet browser possible, this is not a computer..:)

3) You can always use forward by <> buttons in center of remote MEnu.

4)Pen drive and HDD behave similar

5) MKV format is my personal choice for compression and better quality.
search google for mkv convertors.

@ZABAK opsss wil frame out in a right way nowonwards....

1) still u dint tell about the samygo's hacked firmware how it can be done and where to download

2 )and wat FIRMWARE i can go for . U TEL WHICH IS GOOD FOR OUR 6SERIES WITH NO BUGS.I THINK U WOULD HAVE SURELY EXPLODED

3)if u try by lan some of the video formats are cant forwarded and some movie files can be forwarded (experienced)

4)and for convertion of videos how u wil do.i meant some convertors u suggest,cause i googled but i dint get something good.

5)wil video convertors can make the video til borders i meant the resolution or the firmware kind...HELP ME IN THIS PART ZABAK CAUSE I WISH TO WATCH MOVIES AT FULL SCREEN .

6)how to add pictures or movie file or music file in the CONTENTLIBRARY place i can save the content in the tv memory. but how to save in the content library place.

Hope i made the post clear expecting very clear answers...thanks bhai..:)

Last edited:
@ZABAK opsss wil frame out in a right way nowonwards....

1) still u dint tell about the samygo's hacked firmware how it can be done and where to download

2 )and wat FIRMWARE i can go for . U TEL WHICH IS GOOD FOR OUR 6SERIES WITH NO BUGS.I THINK U WOULD HAVE SURELY EXPLODED

3)if u try by lan some of the video formats are cant forwarded and some movie files can be forwarded (experienced)

4)and for convertion of videos how u wil do.i meant some convertors u suggest,cause i googled but i dint get something good.

5)wil video convertors can make the video til borders i meant the resolution or the firmware kind...HELP ME IN THIS PART ZABAK CAUSE I WISH TO WATCH MOVIES AT FULL SCREEN .

6)how to add pictures or movie file or music file in the CONTENTLIBRARY place i can save the content in the tv memory. but how to save in the content library place.

Hope i made the post clear expecting very clear answers...thanks bhai..:)

Believe me but all yours questions are answered in previous posts. Read all...

To gain take pain...google a lot...and yes I am there to help you whatever I can ..:)

how to add pictures or movie file or music file in the CONTENTLIBRARY place i can save the content in the tv memory. but how to save in the content library place.
<<<<<<<< u dint answer for this >>>>>>
and for convertion of videos how u wil do.i meant some convertors u suggest,cause i googled but i dint get something good.

<<<<i meant the convertor u dint mention any >>>>>>

lastly is it safe on going samygo hacked firmware ... u told 2005 is the best...any feautres in tis wat 2005 dont have..

how to add pictures or movie file or music file in the CONTENTLIBRARY place i can save the content in the tv memory. but how to save in the content library place.
<<<<<<<< u dint answer for this >>>>>>
and for convertion of videos how u wil do.i meant some convertors u suggest,cause i googled but i dint get something good.

<<<<i meant the convertor u dint mention any >>>>>>

lastly is it safe on going samygo hacked firmware ... u told 2005 is the best...any feautres in tis wat 2005 dont have..

1) My advice: Dont add customs apps to Library as this slows down and is not advisable. First you add contents from Library given by samsung uk site, which will be good to start. Details are given by samsung.

2) Axara video converter is my choice

3) Samygo's is best...no problems. You may need to change Tuner=ASIA_ATV in menu to work in india for cable channels and AV.

4) 2005 is latest as in indian site, so no optoin and it is supposed to be good.
3000 in uk seems to have fixed some DLNA issue...as told by my friends

@zabak have u tried Samygo's firmware ???
and wats the current firmware u using it on your lcd ??
and btw i downloaded the convertor while converting blue border and the its a unregistered version some msg kind coming at the centre of the screen can u help me in tis part...and actually wat time it take to convert a movie file of hight resolution and its 4gb file...its really takeing too much time....actually how u use...plsssss help me dont think like im asking each and every step just guide me regarding ...thanks
and btw i cant acces the service menu too...by pressing info-menu-mute-power....help me regargings..
to be frank tel me do u play all kind of movies i mean the BD rip of movies ..if so how u r playing through lan or wat kind and wat of formwats actually i cant forward movies through lan main draw back .. kind of not satisfied after giving a 65k still we have to do this and that and that too not to be sucess full fill....and im thinking of converting the lcd as a computer monitor by connecting through the hdmi port do u have any idea relativily...have u tried...plsss help me in playing 1080p resolution movies in the hdtv with out a drop in resolution ...plsss help me in this part...alone...awaiting for ur reply..not yet...make it asap..thanks

Last edited:
Dear all...

Does this Tv Support External DVD Drive...
I have backed up all the movies, HD & SD in DVDs and have an ext dvd drive as well...

Thanks in Advance..

Hi Zabak ....
I'm in a confusion ... Sony KLV 40EX500 or Samsung LA40B650 .... I've Oppo BDP-83 for playing media files... (coz.. playing media files is not a major feature for me) need a good quality LCD ... any help ? Sorry ... I'm not yet an owner of Samsung LA40B650 !!
Thanx in advance
Shashi

@zabak have u tried Samygo's firmware ???
and wats the current firmware u using it on your lcd ??
and btw i downloaded the convertor while converting blue border and the its a unregistered version some msg kind coming at the centre of the screen can u help me in tis part...and actually wat time it take to convert a movie file of hight resolution and its 4gb file...its really takeing too much time....actually how u use...plsssss help me dont think like im asking each and every step just guide me regarding ...thanks
and btw i cant acces the service menu too...by pressing info-menu-mute-power....help me regargings..
to be frank tel me do u play all kind of movies i mean the BD rip of movies ..if so how u r playing through lan or wat kind and wat of formwats actually i cant forward movies through lan main draw back .. kind of not satisfied after giving a 65k still we have to do this and that and that too not to be sucess full fill....and im thinking of converting the lcd as a computer monitor by connecting through the hdmi port do u have any idea relativily...have u tried...plsss help me in playing 1080p resolution movies in the hdtv with out a drop in resolution ...plsss help me in this part...alone...awaiting for ur reply..not yet...make it asap..thanks

1) Yes.
2) Link for samy go' firmware specified earlier is my current version.
3) "unregistered version" - yr question has answer ....register it by paying money if you like it. Dont ask for illegal methods on how to get it for free. Use google for it...

4) Movie conversion depends on yr PC hardware and yes the best hardware do take some time.

5) Most of the standard formats are playable , I rarely have to convert.

Service menu ---
1. Turn off TV
2. On the remote control, press Info, Menu, Mute, then the power button.
3. The monitor will switch on, with the service menu on the upper left hand
corner.

Hi Zabak ....
I'm in a confusion ... Sony KLV 40EX500 or Samsung LA40B650 .... I've Oppo BDP-83 for playing media files... (coz.. playing media files is not a major feature for me) need a good quality LCD ... any help ? Sorry ... I'm not yet an owner of Samsung LA40B650 !!
Thanx in advance
Shashi

My personal experience says go for Samsung.
It is world leader for Big screen.
Display is far more or less equal both having some -ve and +ve but samsung has edge in features (My opinion).

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back