Samsung QN90A ,QN85A owners thread

Image Credit : An European fellow owner of QN90A/95A who also owns Sony X95J.

As you can see from the images although they both have similar deep black sky but Samsung has the much better shadow details n brighter highlights.Screenshot_20210430-002953_Gallery.jpg

Image Credit : An European fellow owner of QN90A/95A who also owns Sony X95J.

As you can see from the images although they both have similar deep black sky but Samsung has the much better shadow details n brighter highlights.View attachment 56669
9500X shows better spectrum of colours in the slab that reflects street lights. It is overall darker - yes, but more natural to my eyes while Samsung's picture processor tries to brighten out some areas that are meant to be dark.

9500X shows better spectrum of colours in the slab that reflects street lights. It is overall darker - yes, but more natural to my eyes while Samsung's picture processor tries to brighten out some areas that are meant to be dark.
Samsung in my humble opinion has better shadow detail/ less black crushing plus better highlights.

Samsung in my humble opinion has better shadow detail/ less black crushing plus better highlights.
Ok your humble opinion got me convinced about some extra punchy colours. I like natural colours though. Hey by the way, we are approaching middle age, so the dim OLED might be more soothing over brilliance in colour display.+if you can't sell it, you are lucky. They won't make like them anymore) My hall TV 8000H adds so much colours that Sun TV shows look like a keleidoscope. Just my arrogant opinion :)p)

Here are two pics , one is from QN90A n other is from a Sony OLED A80J, can you guys tell which is which.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-30-14-15-44-62.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-30-14-15-44-62.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_2021-04-30-14-14-31-93.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-30-14-14-31-93.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 75
Here are two pics , one is from QN90A n other is from a Sony OLED A80J, can you guys tell which is which.
Left is QN90A. You can easily tell them apart using:
  1. The stand
  2. The camera exposure.
Please post the images directly rather than a screenshot of you viewing them on your phone.

Also a tip(take it if you will or ignore): keeping the bottom navigation keys on your phone as white will burn-in pretty fast on an AMOLED display. Better to switch to navigation gestures which also gives you more screen on the phone and are more fluid to use.

1. The stand
  2. The camera exposure.
Please post the images directly rather than a screenshot of you viewing them on your phone.

Also a tip(take it if you will or ignore): keeping the bottom navigation keys on your phone as white will burn-in pretty fast on an AMOLED display. Better to switch to navigation gestures which also gives you more screen on the phone and are more fluid to use.
IMO the left image looks very bad. Look at the blues and green. Overexposed image and colours are way off and to punchy. Road, sky and the grass looks very artificial . The right image doesn’t have the colours popping but looks soft and natural.Look at the last car that has yellow and orange combination. Man that orange is bleeding in the samsung. As u said it’s easy any one can point out based on the stand it’s a Samsung.There is no comparison with Sony picture quality with the likes of Samsung. Not derailing the thread but since the comparisons are made giving my views. Nothing wrong in liking an artificial and over exposed image as there are many who like such type of picture.

Last edited:
IMO the left image looks very bad. Look at the blues and green. Overexposed image and colours are way off and to punchy. Road, sky and the grass looks very artificial . The right image doesn’t have the colours popping but looks soft and natural.Look at the last car that has yellow and orange combination. Man that orange is bleeding in the samsung. As u said it’s easy any one can point out based on the stand it’s a Samsung.There is no comparison with Sony picture quality with the likes of Samsung. Not derailing the thread but since the comparisons are made giving my views. Nothing wrong in liking an artificial and over exposed image as there are many who like such type of picture.
Honestly, there's no point comparing them using these photos anyway since they are captured at different times of the day, at different camera settings and exposures (likely using a smartphone) which defeats the entire point of the comparison.

We don't know if the colours actually look like that unless the TV is running the optimal settings and the camera settings don't make the colours look different than they were. This is why comparing TVs from video of people who are not an expert is very tricky. Big YouTubers artificially adjust the camera settings to make the comparisons look the way their eyes saw it.

From what I see from rtings review, on accurate settings the QN90A is very accurate. Even more accurate than the A8H.

Honestly, there's no point comparing them using these photos anyway since they are captured at different times of the day, at different camera settings and exposures (likely using a smartphone) which defeats the entire point of the comparison.

We don't know if the colours actually look like that unless the TV is running the optimal settings and the camera settings don't make the colours look different than they were. This is why comparing TVs from video of people who are not an expert is very tricky. Big YouTubers artificially adjust the camera settings to make the comparisons look the way their eyes saw it.

From what I see from rtings review, on accurate settings the QN90A is very accurate. Even more accurate than the A8H.
Yeah and u tubers mainly do it for views and likes. In accurate settings as per rtings if q90A is accurate then the A8h then it should be a good tv but this fm won’t like that settings as he prefers standard mode and the image as shown above. Many average viewers don’t prefer the calibrated image. They prefer the standard mode which has punchy colours. I was in that boat as well and from last year I started liking the accurate image more then the punchy image.

Yeah and u tubers mainly do it for views and likes. In accurate settings as per rtings if q90A is accurate then the A8h then it should be a good tv but this fm won’t like that settings as he prefers standard mode and the image as shown above. Many average viewers don’t prefer the calibrated image. They prefer the standard mode which has punchy colours. I was in that boat as well and from last year I started liking the accurate image more then the punchy image.
Generally the biggest weakness of the accurate mode is the white balance. What I have noticed is that for most 2019 TVs(and some 2020 models) the white balance on Cinema modes was generally around 5800-6000K which looks horrible to most people(and is inaccurate as well). Whites look like dirty yellows and the overall image looks desaturated and cheap.

Some examples:
Q90R: 5850K
Q90T: 5900K
C9: 5900K

^All of these are neither accurate nor will look good/punchy to the average person. Generally the best image is from TVs with slightly north of accurate (6600-6700K) and Sony does exactly that. Their A8H tracked 6700K in rtings test.

My own U79 was also like it and as per rtings also has a colour temperature of 5900K in movie mode. So I had to manually tune the white balance of the TV using my macbook Pro as a reference and looking at multiple images.

This year however I'm seeing that most manufacturers are shipping their accurate modes around 6600-6700K which looks right.

QN90A does 6600K and A90J does 6700K here. C1 did pretty bad at 7100K but I think rtings got a bad panel as even their brightness measurements didn't match with others.

1. The stand
  2. The camera exposure.

1. The stand
  2. The camera exposure.

1. The stand
  2. The camera exposure.

Yes you are correct, I guess the stand was the give away, surprisingly on AVS Forum one of the OLED owners @RoadLizard guessed the opposite saying Samsung was more contrasty n had that 3D depth!!! I didn't ask the guy who posted the pic @CMPMERIDIAN what picture mode it was in but assuming most of the decade old typical AVS forum guys like him are image accuracy sticklers it must have been the movie or the filmmaker mode with Warm 1 or 2.

I had to resort to the screenshot as I couldn't upload the original pics as it kept saying the file size was too big. Your tip is well appreciated. Anyways these pics are not accurate representations.

I want to know your views on those couple of YouTube videos by Patrik which I put out comparing Samsung vs Sony...

Generally the biggest weakness of the accurate mode is the white balance. What I have noticed is that for most 2019 TVs(and some 2020 models) the white balance on Cinema modes was generally around 5800-6000K which looks horrible to most people(and is inaccurate as well). Whites look like dirty yellows and the overall image looks desaturated and cheap.

Some examples:
Q90R: 5850K
Q90T: 5900K
C9: 5900K

^All of these are neither accurate nor will look good/punchy to the average person. Generally the best image is from TVs with slightly north of accurate (6600-6700K) and Sony does exactly that. Their A8H tracked 6700K in rtings test.

My own U79 was also like it and as per rtings also has a colour temperature of 5900K in movie mode. So I had to manually tune the white balance of the TV using my macbook Pro as a reference and looking at multiple images.

This year however I'm seeing that most manufacturers are shipping their accurate modes around 6600-6700K which looks right.

QN90A does 6600K and A90J does 6700K here. C1 did pretty bad at 7100K but I think rtings got a bad panel as even their brightness measurements didn't match with others.
Whites do look yellowish in the accurate modes but keeping the white balance slightly to the cooler side fixes it to a certain level and your eyes get used to it. Do note even though they are not accurate as well but the cinema and other modes compared to standard try to achieve an accurate picture to a certain level.And more over for a long comfortable viewing the warm picture mode feels much better for me. I normally don’t look much to these reviews and prefer checking the TV’S in person. These videos do help to get an idea about the product but for me I always spend a month auditioning tvs side by side at multiple showrooms.

In this review video, the bad and the ugly part ~9.43 onwards, he talks about blooming and dirty screen. OLED is OLED wrt this section of it.

In this review video, the bad and the ugly part ~9.43 onwards, he talks about blooming and dirty screen. OLED is OLED wrt this section of it.
Oled apart from not being the brightest it is the best in every other aspects and over all produces the best looking image IMO. This is the type of image U get in qleds . That blooming jeez I can’t stand it

Attachments

• FFBE865E-1F5E-4A54-8AFD-CD8EC0FB3D15.jpeg
    FFBE865E-1F5E-4A54-8AFD-CD8EC0FB3D15.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 37
Yes. You are just dimming the blacks in QN90A or other FALDs with light bleeding to other lighter colours making that grey tint. Pixels are not switched off. Even in my opinion sometimes the black crushing is tolerable but the blooming is just not good. CRT screens were better compared to this in LCD technology.

Yes. You are just dimming the blacks in QN90A or other FALDs with light bleeding to other lighter colours making that grey tint. Pixels are not switched off. Even in my opinion sometimes the black crushing is tolerable but the blooming is just not good. CRT screens were better compared to this in LCD technology.
In real world usage u won’t even notice the black crush. It’s very minimum in most scenes and obviously noticed in very rare scenes. But blooming is obvious in a dark room and for me it’s a no no. Side by side testing Oled and qled and showing brightness and black crush by pausing scenes and zooming camera to show them is good for u tube channel but not for real world usage . That is not how we are going to watch a movie. Compared to FALD I prefer the normal lcd sets. Entire backlight is on and the background is constant. No flickering, blooming like the FALDS

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back