Samsung QN90A ,QN85A owners thread

Firstly my apologies for the late reply... No the QN95A won't be coming to India, it is just the QN90A, it is a VA panel but without the Ultra viewing angle or the one connect box n just 1 HDMI 2.1.

Due to the ongoing lockdown the TV units from Busan Korea are still stuck in the Mumbai warehouse , may take until 17th of this month for them to start shipping.
Qn95a not available is not good . Thanks for confirming. I think Samsung has some issues with the stock as they have taken down their Amazon.in listing as well.

Qn95a not available is not good . Thanks for confirming. I think Samsung has some issues with the stock as they have taken down their Amazon.in listing as well.
I didn't know they had listed on Amazon, even I am wondering the real rational behind Samsung not introducing the 95 series in Asia , if you ask Samsung they will tell you that they have done there research of certain markets where people need only one 1 HDMI 2.1 and by removing the Ultra viewing angle and the one connect box they have reduced the cost for the customers by 30k.

I didn't know they had listed on Amazon, even I am wondering the real rational behind Samsung not introducing the 95 series in Asia , if you ask Samsung they will tell you that they have done there research of certain markets where people need only one 1 HDMI 2.1 and by removing the Ultra viewing angle and the one connect box they have reduced the cost for the customers by 30k.
All 4 ports in QN90A are HDMI 2.1, even without the one connect box.

3 of those are 32 Gbps and 1 is 40(could be 48 as well?) Gbps. So you can do 4k 120 4:4:4 8-bit on 3 ports and 4k 120 4:4:4 10-bit on the last one.

Not yet launched in India but going by the EU prices which miror Indian price then it should be around RS 152k. Mind you the 50" will have lesser peak brightness and slightly downgraded sound quality when compared to 55" n bigger.
rtings reviewed 55" model ,how can u say 50" is low peak brightness

rtings reviewed 55" model ,how can u say 50" is low peak brightness
If you look at the spec sheet you will see that 50" has been assigned a PQI of 4400 to 4500 of the bigger sizes, 50" has HDR 24X while the bigger sizes have 32X , all this means that 50" has slightly less brightness n dimming zones than 55" n above.

As for the pricing part is was just my own estimate, in reality it could be more cheaper.

You can't n I know it's frustrating , confusing and ambiguous but Samsung just won't specify. Most times in real world usage you can't tell the difference unless both the units are placed side by side.

Just for the peace of mind I would urge you n others to ignore the 50" n instead opt for bigger sizes. 55" would be a perfect mix of immersion+pixel density.

Hi Guys I have just ordered the QN90A 55 inch . So I welcome all prospective owners , interested parties , rival TV Tech owners to share there valuable inputs n feedback.
Any update? have you got the TV? This thread is dead but i see that you are very active on the avsforum. So the Indian unit will get the ADS Panel?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Any update? have you got the TV? This thread is dead but i see that you are very active on the avsforum. So the Indian unit will get the ADS Panel?

Cheers.
I should be recieving my TV by tomorrow or latest day. There is a 50-50 probability of it being a VA or an ADS . Regarding ADS performance I have received feedback from an Australian, Chilean n a Thai owner who really like it n infact rate it's blacks n dark room performance better than there existing TVs with VA like Q95T n Sony X950H !!!

Inspite of all this positive reinforcement regarding ADS I still wish it is a VA but if it is not then there is now nothing I can do in terms of returning the set but hope it performs similar to what the Australian n the other two experienced.

Last edited:
I should be recieving my TV by tomorrow or latest day after so this thread would be buzzing soon. There is a 50-50 probability of it being a VA or an ADS . Regarding ADS performance I have received feedback from an Australian, Chilean n a Thai owner who really like it n infact rate it's blacks n dark room performance better than there existing TVs with VA like Q95T n Sony X950H !!!

Inspite of all this positive reinforcement regarding ADS I still wish it is a VA but if it is not then there is now nothing I can do in terms of returning the set but hope it performs similar to what the Australian n the other two experienced.
I think an easy way to test it would be to turn off all local dimming and viewing in a dark room. An IPS panel without local dimming will crap out really fast in dark.

If it's an ADS panel, then not much point in spending the extra over the QN85A.

I think an easy way to test it would be to turn off all local dimming and viewing in a dark room. An IPS panel without local dimming will crap out really fast in dark.

If it's an ADS panel, then not much point in spending the extra over the QN85A.
Local dimming can't be turned off in Samsung Falds, it's on by default n even on the ADS version the contrast ratio will average approx 20000: 1 in Standard, Dynamic n game mode n 9500:1 on cinema, Filmmaker mode.

If we touch the panel of an LCD when on, we can in a fraction of a second see the difference as to whether it is ips or VA through crystal allignment. Not sure if ADS can be found by this method.

Local dimming can't be turned off in Samsung Falds, it's on by default n even on the ADS version the contrast ratio will average approx 20000: 1 in Standard, Dynamic n game mode n 9500:1 on cinema, Filmmaker mode.
The panel's native contrast ratio will be between 1000:1 and 1500:1 only. The 10000:1+ is because of local dimming. Also there's a way to disable local dimming on Samsung FALDs through service menu.

Another simple way to check it would be to make a test pattern comprising of thin lines every few mm apart. I can make so in Illustrator if you want. This will trigger all the zones and it will behave like a normal panel. We'll have to experiment with different line thicknesses though, as Samsung might ignore those lines and make the whole screen black.

I should be recieving my TV by tomorrow or latest day. There is a 50-50 probability of it being a VA or an ADS . Regarding ADS performance I have received feedback from an Australian, Chilean n a Thai owner who really like it n infact rate it's blacks n dark room performance better than there existing TVs with VA like Q95T n Sony X950H !!!
Thats Great, looking forward on your opinion on the QN90A, i am planning to replace my LG B6 soon in few months & would love to see all the options available before i cash down on an Oled again :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Local dimming can be theoretically disabled using service menu but it is tough n you can ruin your set in the process n with Samsung voiding your warranty if that happens ...so not something one should be attempting.

I don't understand Samsung's obsession in last 3-4 years with providing the wide viewing angle. Whether it is the ultra viewing angle on the VA or this alleged ADS on non North American QN90A.

I am someone who watches my TV whether OLED or LED pretty much from dead center so all this viewing angle is of not much use to me.

Last edited:
@Jayaesh1 Update us when you get the Tv & give us your first impressions, pics would be great too :)

Ignore the Oled bandwagon here, let them Enjoy watching star field clips and telling themselves that their choice of TV is superior than everyone here all day. Who bloody cares.

I own a LG B6 Oled & i m not a fanboy to any brand or technology. I love innovation & this Mini-Led is enticing for sure..

Cheers.

Back