Samsung QN90A ,QN85A owners thread

There were numerous reports of the Ultra Viewing Angle coating coming off from the Pannel (if not handled carefully). Probably this is what forced them to experiment with ADS pannel. Whatever I read, it appears that it's a solid middle ground with IPS and VA Panel. With more dimming zones and intelligent algorithms, it can easily match the VA's contrast level if not higher at the same time offering a wide viewing angle (178 degrees). It's a step in the right direction.

1080P content (Young Sheldon) from Prime + 1080P (The Assassination of Gianni Versace ) from Netflix.
Young Sheldon looks a bit oversaturated here, but Versace looks ace. How does the Samsung QLED HDR video look, and how is overall HDR performance? I'm sure that would look mind-blowing!

I had put the Contrast enhancer n some other settings on high with Young Sheldon (This show is as it is naturally bright n saturated) , therein lies one of the cons with not just this TV but all Samsung's, unlike LG n Sony there is no medium option in the contrast enhancer , low for me does nothing but high at times seems like overkill.

Young Sheldon looks a bit oversaturated here, but Versace looks ace. How does the Samsung QLED HDR video look, and how is overall HDR performance? I'm sure that would look mind-blowing!
IMO HDR is the biggest calling card of this TV, so far my HDR has been restricted to compressed YouTube n Netflix ( Yet to check HDR+ on Prime). I have downloaded proper Blu ray Remux HDR Rip files of Mad Max,Aquaman n guardians of galaxy vol 2 , now that should be fun !!!

There were numerous reports of the Ultra Viewing Angle coating coming off from the Pannel (if not handled carefully). Probably this is what forced them to experiment with ADS pannel. Whatever I read, it appears that it's a solid middle ground with IPS and VA Panel. With more dimming zones and intelligent algorithms, it can easily match the VA's contrast level if not higher at the same time offering a wide viewing angle (178 degrees). It's a step in the right direction.
Yes that could be one of the reasons besides many don't like the ultra viewing film applied on top of a screen. Coming back to ADS I n many other owners are really happy n content with black level but my mind does occasionally wonders how would have the VA panel fared ...

IMO HDR is the biggest calling card of this TV, so far my HDR has been restricted to compressed YouTube n Netflix ( Yet to check HDR+ on Prime). I have downloaded proper Blu ray Remux HDR Rip files of Mad Max,Aquaman n guardians of galaxy vol 2 , now that should be fun !!!
Do let me know if there are decent amount of shows on HDR10+
From what i read somewhere, most of the Hdr10 shows should be upgraded to Hdr10+.

my mind does occasionally wonders how would have the VA panel fared ...
If you compare 2019 models like Q80R with Q70R, in my experience, with Ultra Viewing coating, the viewing angle improves by 50% at the cost of 30% reduction in contrast. That's what I felt with my naked eye...

Upgrade to Netflix ultra for a month. Well worth it, I would say to take the TV through it's paces. Of course, nothing can beat the 4K BD rips for sure. Please post some HDR pics (or videos) when you get a chance. :)

I already have the Netflix Ultra , I will definitely try posting some HDR pics/videos but don't know if it possible for Smartphone camera to capture it as it might result in massive clipping , greying , underexposure.

How you'd wish you had a tv app to take screenshots and post for us hungry fm's.
Esp if even the high end phones can't do justice, I had a flagship phone 4 years ago(Its not a flagship anymore but I still use it) Photos are crap now as much as they were then for your use case:p

I already have the Netflix Ultra , I will definitely try posting some HDR pics/videos but don't know if it possible for Smartphone camera to capture it as it might result in massive clipping , greying , underexposure.
It's all good. If the photos look astounding we can all drool over the visual goodness. If it doesn't we can always blame your phone or photography skills ;) :p

First time I'm hearing this, does it come off due to cleaning or by itself?
It doesn't come off automatically but requires attention while cleaning. Unless you are using anything other than water/microfibre to clean, you are good.

Edit:- Don't directly spray water on the Display Panel but Microfibre.

Last edited:
It doesn't come off automatically but requires attention while cleaning. Unless you are using anything other than water/microfibre to clean, you are good.

Edit:- Don't directly spray water on the Display Panel but Microfibre.
OK thanks, will have to be careful with mine normally lightly clean with Microfibre cloth.

Hi guys since last two days since I started viewing India vs Newzealand Test I noticed some distracting vertical banding/ DSE whenever the camera pans on ball being hit by batsman in the outfield, it is also visible but to a lesser extent in a Football match. I am unable to post any pic as the camera is not able to capture these subtle but distracting banding.

Now these uniformity issues are not visible while watching Movies,Web shows,Nature documentary , YouTube ( except those DSE test videos). Now begins a delicate, frustrating dance with Samsung India to replace my set. We all know these technicians who come to inspect somehow never notice the flaws which are obvious to you n everyone else. Lets see what transpires tomorrow.

Hi guys since last two days since I started viewing India vs Newzealand Test I noticed some distracting vertical banding/ DSE whenever the camera pans on ball being hit by batsman in the outfield, it is also visible but to a lesser extent in a Football match. I am unable to post any pic as the camera is not able to capture these subtle but distracting banding.

Now these uniformity issues are not visible while watching Movies,Web shows,Nature documentary , YouTube ( except those DSE test videos). Now begins a delicate, frustrating dance with Samsung India to replace my set. We all know these technicians who come to inspect somehow never notice the flaws which are obvious to you n everyone else. Lets see what transpires tomorrow.
one tech youtuber has also reported this issue.looks like you are not alone.

Oh Crap, if it isn't that bad then let it be right? you never know if the replacement set is even worse?

Do update what you decide to do & how it goes? my suggestion is to post this in the avsforum & see what they say.

Do let me know if there are decent amount of shows on HDR10+
From what i read somewhere, most of the Hdr10 shows should be upgraded to Hdr10+.
I have the Frame 2020 and have used it for about 6 months now. There are not too many HDR10+ shows tbh. The Boys & Jack Ryan on Prime were HDR10+, there are more but I haven't gotten around to watching them. All Dolby Vision shows on Netflix are available as HDR. Unfortunately the Hotstar app on Samsung TVs hasn't been updated since 2019 and doesn't support HDR yet (in fact I noticed that Loki was playing at 1080p rather than 4k, whereas I could play the same show at 4k HDR using the Jio TV STB)

Back