Samsung QN90A ,QN85A owners thread

Oh Crap, if it isn't that bad then let it be right? you never know if the replacement set is even worse?

Do update what you decide to do & how it goes? my suggestion is to post this in the avsforum & see what they say.
Yes I concur with you and it is not that bad but tad distracting while viewing panning shots in Cricket but one can definitely adjust n make peace with it .

As for rest of content like movies, web shows,DTH , nature/ wildlife shows it is the most beautiful , vibrant n crisp images you can see in both 1080 FHD n obviously 4K , HDR and SDR.

Dear FMs ,

If you are genuinely interested in QN90A please do check it out in a showroom n do a thorough check up especially DSE cos it is all about the panel lottery.

I being in a tier 4 city didn't have the luxury of checking the set but most of you I believe do have that option.

Is this TV truly fantastic n a genuine allrounder hell yes , do I recommend it , i absolutely do but not without checking out the set in person and not before rigorously putting it through it's paces.

Please remember folks India is not North America or Europe where you can just randomly return or even ask for a replacement set.

Dear FMs ,

If you are genuinely interested in QN90A please do check it out in a showroom n do a thorough check up especially DSE cos it is all about the panel lottery.

I being in a tier 4 city didn't have the luxury of checking the set but most of you I believe do have that option.

Is this TV truly fantastic n a genuine allrounder hell yes , do I recommend it , i absolutely do but not without checking out the set in person and not before rigorously putting it through it's paces.

Please remember folks India is not North America or Europe where you can just randomly return or even ask for a replacement set.
No point in checking unless you wanna buy that same demo unit.It does not make any sense to test the demo unit and then buy another one.

Also this issue seems to be in all the initial batches as Samsung producing mini led first time.It may improve in the future.Vincent also mentioned the same in his review.

No point in checking unless you wanna buy that same demo unit.It does not make any sense to test the demo unit and then buy another one.

Also this issue seems to be in all the initial batches as Samsung producing mini led first time.It may improve in the future.Vincent also mentioned the same in his review.
Yeah I get your point but I see no harm in getting that demo unit as is it's brand new since it's a LED tech so no obvious mileage issues like an older demo OLED display will have.

It happens only in panning shots and when a single uniform colour is present like in a Cricket match. Football weirdly is lot better. Anyways if one doesn't follow Cricket then he won't notice any DSE in majority of other content.

Hi guys I live in Singapore & am thinking of getting the QN90A 55inch, will this be a VA or ADS? also how much it affects if its a ADS as compared to the VA?

The 55,65,75 inches are all ADS in Asia and 50 n 85 are VA. I have the ADS version n the blacks and contrast level are very good, it is really bright and the colours pop ,I never had any FALD with VA but I do have an OLED in LG CX n compared to that blacks on QN90A come pretty close.

VA in theory has double the contrast of an ADS but I doubt one can differentiate between 20,000:1 contrast on QN90A ADS n 40,000: 1 to be found on the VA version. Maybe there will be tad more blooming on the ADS . On AVS forum there are QN90A ADS owners who really like there set and find the blacks deeper than the VA Falds they currently or previously owned.

The 55,65,75 inches are all ADS in Asia and 50 n 85 are VA. I have the ADS version n the blacks and contrast level are very good, it is really bright and the colours pop ,I never had any FALD with VA but I do have an OLED in LG CX n compared to that blacks on QN90A come pretty close.

VA in theory has double the contrast of an ADS but I doubt one can differentiate between 20,000:1 contrast on QN90A ADS n 40,000: 1 to be found on the VA version. Maybe there will be tad more blooming on the ADS . On AVS forum there are QN90A ADS owners who really like there set and find the blacks deeper than the VA Falds they currently or previously owned.
Thank you for the information. I went to a TV retail store near my place to do the screen tap test on the 55" & it was ADS, did the tap on the 65" beside it & surprisingly it had the flash which means it has the VA panel. According to the retail staff they do have VA panels of those 3 particular sizes but the bulk of it is ADS, & unfortunately they can't open & check before they send it to me.

Were you able to sell the 55" CX?

The day we match the sales volume like Western countries, hope manufacturers will also introduce 60 days return here as well. The Croma in my area told me that they had sold around 100 hi-end TVs in 2019 Diwali whereas BestBuy alone in Mountainview sells 100 of them on daily basis.

Edit:- It was a kinda cultural shock for me when I saw guys who probably went to BestBuy/Costco to buy something else but they saw the board that 80$/month for a 55" TV, and they just bought it without much deliberation.

Last edited:
The day we match the sales volume like Western countries, hope manufacturers will also introduce 60 days return here as well. The Croma in my area told me that they had sold around 100 hi-end TVs in 2019 Diwali whereas BestBuy alone in Mountainview sells 100 of them on daily basis.

Edit:- It was a kinda cultural shock for me when I saw guys who probably went to BestBuy/Costco to buy something else but they saw the board that 80$/month for a 55" TV, and they just bought it without much deliberation.
"According to Sony India's latest filings to the Registrar of Companies (RoC), revenue from operations in 2018-19 fell by 8.3% from a year ago to 6,417.52 crore. Sony's sales peaked to 11,010 crore in 2014-15 but revenues started falling since FY16. Net profit from Indian markets dipped 5.9% last fiscal to 101.15 crore."

Good that their sales in India are dropping so drastically. They have milked status conscious people here with over priced electronics. And inspite of being in India much before Samsung, has not invested much as compared to its investment in other far east and south east countries.

"According to Sony India's latest filings to the Registrar of Companies (RoC), revenue from operations in 2018-19 fell by 8.3% from a year ago to 6,417.52 crore. Sony's sales peaked to 11,010 crore in 2014-15 but revenues started falling since FY16. Net profit from Indian markets dipped 5.9% last fiscal to 101.15 crore."

Good that their sales in India are dropping so drastically. They have milked status conscious people here with over priced electronics. And inspite of being in India much before Samsung, has not invested much as compared to its investment in other far east and south east countries.
I walked in one of the Sony World showrooms yesterday. The huge store in an upmarket area of Lucknow had the air of resignation. Two of the TV display areas had handwritten notice something on the tunes of new stuff awaited (just like old Doordarshan type: Rukawat ke liye khed hai).

I enquired about the OLED--A80J and A90J. All I could extract was a yawn and at max "Sir, once we get, we will call you." I think even the thought of demoing a A9H or A8G or similar troubled their wits.

Then, I moved towards their HTS demo area as am looking for a 7.1 HTS. Standing right in the centre of the HTS demo area I checked about 7.1 HTS. Again, "Sar, 7.1 is not there, we can order if you want." No attempt to share any literature or demo the fitted 5.1 ZS (?) system.
When asked about literature--"Sar, please check on the website. All information is there, Sar."

WTF! If everything is online, why do we need to visit the store?

Almost lost my head, when the salesperson asked, 'Should I order it, Sar; it takes at least one week to receive.'

I doubt SONY will ever get it.

I walked in one of the Sony World showrooms yesterday. The huge store in an upmarket area of Lucknow had the air of resignation. Two of the TV display areas had handwritten notice something on the tunes of new stuff awaited (just like old Doordarshan type: Rukawat ke liye khed hai).

I enquired about the OLED--A80J and A90J. All I could extract was a yawn and at max "Sir, once we get, we will call you." I think even the thought of demoing a A9H or A8G or similar troubled their wits.

Then, I moved towards their HTS demo area as am looking for a 7.1 HTS. Standing right in the centre of the HTS demo area I checked about 7.1 HTS. Again, "Sar, 7.1 is not there, we can order if you want." No attempt to share any literature or demo the fitted 5.1 ZS (?) system.
When asked about literature--"Sar, please check on the website. All information is there, Sar."

WTF! If everything is online, why do we need to visit the store?

Almost lost my head, when the salesperson asked, 'Should I order it, Sar; it takes at least one week to receive.'

I doubt SONY will ever get it.
Off topic but Sony India won't learn till they have to down the shutters here. Pricing this year is atrociously high and stupid across all models.

Lets stick to the topic of this thread, there is another Sony Oled thread where these discussions can take place.

Thank You.

Thank you for the information. I went to a TV retail store near my place to do the screen tap test on the 55" & it was ADS, did the tap on the 65" beside it & surprisingly it had the flash which means it has the VA panel. According to the retail staff they do have VA panels of those 3 particular sizes but the bulk of it is ADS, & unfortunately they can't open & check before they send it to me.
Please do inspect those sets whether VA or ADS for DSE . If your preference is only for a VA panel then I suggest you import the set from USA. I say this because in Singapore the QN90A 55" is priced at 3145 USD while in USA it currently at 1499 so even with taking the import duty into account your set will be still much cheaper than the Singapore price.

Maybe some of the Indian FMs can do the same, perhaps wait for Black Friday ...

I wish atleast we got 15 days like what you get in the EU . Most of the TVs OLEDs and especially FALD are prone to panel lottery like banding n DSE but manufacturers don't consider these as defects. Regarding my set I am sure if I play hardball with Samsung they will eventually relent n issue me a replacement panel but currently based on the video evidence Samsung say subtle DSE while watching Cricket is not a panel defect.

Now if there was a normal return window in India I would have simply returned this set n reordered a fresh one without offering any explanations ...

I wish atleast we got 15 days like what you get in the EU . Most of the TVs OLEDs and especially FALD are prone to panel lottery like banding n DSE but manufacturers don't consider these as defects. Regarding my set I am sure if I play hardball with Samsung they will eventually relent n issue me a replacement panel but currently based on the video evidence Samsung say subtle DSE while watching Cricket is not a panel defect.

Now if there was a normal return window in India I would have simply returned this set n reordered a fresh one without offering any explanations ...
Didn't u buy from the Samsung website? they have no return policy?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back