Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 or Jamo S718

prepress

Friends, I have reviewed many posts but still want to know more :D

Which speakers I should buy (with reason)

Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 (New)
Jamo S718 (Used, mint condition)

and what should be the best price?

s718 used should be 20-21k

s718's are bass heavy. The s718 was my first floorstander which I quickly replaced with the e875 which was considerably better in every regard. I could not tolerate the excessive midbass from the s718's.

I have not heard the sonus but personally I suggest not to buy new, buy something from a higher pricepoint for cheaper, used.

Friends, I have reviewed many posts but still want to know more :D

Which speakers I should buy (with reason)

Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 (New)
Jamo S718 (Used, mint condition)

and what should be the best price?

I haven't heard the Jamo S718....So no feedback on that....

Sonodyne Sonus 2605 are slightly on the brighter side..You will need an warm amplifier like Marantz to be the best match...

Yamaha stereo amplifier is also on the brighter/neutral side...So better match it with warm speakers like wharfedale....

Anyways take you amplifier and listen to yourself & then decide.....

s718 used should be 20-21k

s718's are bass heavy. The s718 was my first floorstander which I quickly replaced with the e875 which was considerably better in every regard. I could not tolerate the excessive midbass from the s718's.

I have not heard the sonus but personally I suggest not to buy new, buy something from a higher pricepoint for cheaper, used.

Yes, I have seen your ad, seller is asking 30-32K for S718, and Sonus are 29K (new). Any review about B&W 604?

I haven't heard the Jamo S718....So no feedback on that....

Sonodyne Sonus 2605 are slightly on the brighter side..You will need an warm amplifier like Marantz to be the best match...

Yamaha stereo amplifier is also on the brighter/neutral side...So better match it with warm speakers like wharfedale....

Anyways take you amplifier and listen to yourself & then decide.....

I agree, people recommend Wharfedale for Yamaha Amp, I am using A-S500 now. But heard good reviews about Sonus.

More drivers and handling power NEVER come up with the best of sounds. It is the detailing and type of cabinet design to which the 'desired/compatible' drivers are fitted ... the Xover circuitry etc etc which decide the SQ.

Look at Hari's TL floorstander ... just a 5.25" midwoofer and a 1" aluminium dome tweeter ..... and whaaaaaat SQ! :clapping:. The 'names' named here would not stand a chance!

Is it better than B&W 604?, it has more drivers and handling power.

If you get a chance listen to both of them. I can explain in great details why your notion is wrong, but there is no substitute for actual listening. So I will only say, try to listen to both of them. You will understand what I said.

More drivers and handling power are more often worse for sound than good.

What exactly is your budget and sound quality preference?

And what equipment do you intend on pairing the future speaker with?

My budget is 30-40K for speakers but also thinking to upgrade my Yamaha A-S500 amplifier too (not now, later), so want to buy speakers according to my future Amplifier (200-250W pc, it can be old stuff like Yamaha MX-1000 or U or another power amplifier/mono blocks). Can B&W or other full range speaker run on these kind of power amps?

Sound quality : Crystal Clear treble and vocal (mids), deep lows

What is the series of the B&W 604.. there are three releases of that particular range of speakers, the latter two designated by adding s2 and s3 to the names. The s3 uses the nautilus tweeter which is a trickle down of their nautilus range. My favorite of the three is the series 2.

I had auditioned the KEF q300 and it had sounded too dull and flat to me, I will keep the 604 ahead of it any day, but that may be because the speakers were paired with a denon pma 710 and also that I like the signature of the older B&W speakers. I am uncomfortable with bright sound and like my music to be honest but laid back. Go and have an audition with your amp to see what you really like.

The 604 needs a high quality and a high current drive to really sound good as the impedance of those speakers can dip down to 3 ohms. The B&W speakers can also tend to sound too dull or too shrill if paired with electronics straying a little far from neutral.

Before you consider floorstanders, also take a note of your room size. If you choose speakers too large for your room, they can sound unnatural and overwhelming.

Last edited:
What is the series of the B&W 604.. there are three releases of that particular range of speakers, the latter two designated by adding s2 and s3 to the names. The s3 uses the nautilus tweeter which is a trickle down of their nautilus range. My favorite of the three is the series 2.

I had auditioned the KEF q300 and it had sounded too dull and flat to me, I will keep the 604 ahead of it any day, but that may be because the speakers were paired with a denon pma 710 and also that I like the signature of the older B&W speakers. I am uncomfortable with bright sound and like my music to be honest but laid back. Go and have an audition with your amp to see what you really like.

The 604 needs a high quality and a high current drive to really sound good as the impedance of those speakers can dip down to 3 ohms. The B&W speakers can also tend to sound too dull or too shrill if paired with electronics straying a little far from neutral.

Before you consider floorstanders, also take a note of your room size. If you choose speakers too large for your room, they can sound unnatural and overwhelming.

I guess 604 should series 1, because there was not mentioned about the series on the back of speakers, may be they decided to launch the series later (S2, S3).

See, @ranjeetrain said KEF Q300 are better than B&W 604 and you are saying different thing, I agree it depends on taste so there is no problem.

I am using a Panasonic speaker pair (5.5" driver and 1.5" soft dome tweeter... part of 5 CD changer, bookshelf size) and really it is awesome (very satisfied with SQ).

Reason for upgrading speaker is it can't go very loud with bass (it can but may be blow :D ) and my future amplifier wattage.

See, @ranjeetrain said KEF Q300 are better than B&W 604 and you are saying different thing, I agree it depends on taste so there is no problem.

In my experience the basic problem most people face with B&W is that the speakers have a fine line of balance between sounding too dull and boomy or too shrill/thin. Especially the older B&Ws like the 60x s1 and s2, cdm and matrix models have a very revealing metal dome tweeter which has a tendency of sounding harsh with electronics having a sound on the brighter side of neutral. On the other hand the Kevlar woofers have a laid back sound which can make them sound dull or boomy if the electronics is too warm. That is why I said that the electronics chain needs to be as neutral as possible.

The 60x chain of B&W has its share of problems. It has high quality components inside but the cabinet work is flimsy compared to the higher range models to cut costs. That adds a degree of cabinet resonance and can make the speakers sound boomy/boxy.. especially if put in a small room.

In my experience the basic problem most people face with B&W is that the speakers have a fine line of balance between sounding too dull and boomy or too shrill/thin. Especially the older B&Ws like the 60x s1 and s2, cdm and matrix models have a very revealing metal dome tweeter which has a tendency of sounding harsh with electronics having a sound on the brighter side of neutral. On the other hand the Kevlar woofers have a laid back sound which can make them sound dull or boomy if the electronics is too warm. That is why I said that the electronics chain needs to be as neutral as possible.

The 60x chain of B&W has its share of problems. It has high quality components inside but the cabinet work is flimsy compared to the higher range models to cut costs. That adds a degree of cabinet resonance and can make the speakers sound boomy/boxy.. especially if put in a small room.

Your this description of B&W is quite accurate. I have heard most of the B&W line (save for 800 series) and I am yet to hear a setup which I could call "neutral" or natural sounding. I don't want to list their problems but to sum it up I would say they sounded muddled compared to other brands at the same price point. Here I have to add that I would not attribute their muddiness to the electronics. CDPs from brands like Meridian can't produce muddled sound. Amplifiers such as Denon PMA 2000, Luxman L-550, Marantz PM 88 are plenty resolving for speakers at those price points. So, I can't fault the electronics. Besides on the same setup I tried other speakers and they produced good detail in their respective capacity. Based on my multiple auditions of B&W (yes, like most Indians I was also tempted to own a "B&W") I have concluded that low end B&Ws are just average speakers. You can better them at their respective price points.

Is the sonus series available in black finish?

No, only one color is available :mad: Talked to sonodyne dealer yeaterday about it and he said please put your all requests (if any) about the products on Facebook Sonodyne page, then Sonodyne may think about to fulfill those requests.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back