• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Static Stabilizers vs Servo Stabilizers

Subscibe to HiFiMART Newsletter

Vivek Batra

Hi

Today I went to my local APC dealer who sells servo stabilizers as well. What I have read
on the net and suggested by many fellow members here, an online UPS should be better than the servo stabilizer. My reasoning for this is that online UPS always converts ac to dc and again to ac and this should be more cleaner than the direct outflow from servo.

My current load is an amp plus dac which is around 350 watts. I plan to add a streamer, tuner and could be a cd player but not that soon. This will still be less than 700 watts.

I am inclined towards 1kva/800 watts APC online UPS costing around 24k, with 2 years warranty on both ups and batteries. After that Rs.4400 per year AMC that covers everything but that is optional.

I was told that the APC comes with EMI/RF filters? This I need to confirm from specs.

Is it good to go?

P.S. The price of 5kva servo is around 14k without any filters. The dealer also suggested to go with online UPS. The 2 or 3 kva APC online UPS costs nearly 34k.

Thanks.

sud98

I bought a 3kva line and used it for one full phase so I could use it for ht and a few small lights as a General purpose ups. Maybe you can do thag with a 2kva one.

shanmune

Quick thoughts :-
1) Do we need power filters for home audio ?
- Based in what I read, the modern day AVRs/amplifiers are well equipped to handle all the impure power. There is also another thought that it is better to avoid all those filters when using amplifiers (as those filters may hinder the dynamic power requirement of the amplifiers).

2) Do we need to avoid voltage fluctuation ?
- Certainly we need to avoid it for efficient operation of any electrical/electronics product.

3) Do we need to have protection ?
- Certainly yes.

A simple voltage Stabilizer (with a enough muscle) should do enough. This is the reason why many people go for Servo Stabilizers which can provide voltage correction and insolation from sudden spikes. These Stabilizers have an option of having in-built surge protectors as well. This simple solution should be more than enough.