Static Stabilizers vs Servo Stabilizers

Hi

Today I went to my local APC dealer who sells servo stabilizers as well. What I have read
on the net and suggested by many fellow members here, an online UPS should be better than the servo stabilizer. My reasoning for this is that online UPS always converts ac to dc and again to ac and this should be more cleaner than the direct outflow from servo.

My current load is an amp plus dac which is around 350 watts. I plan to add a streamer, tuner and could be a cd player but not that soon. This will still be less than 700 watts.

I am inclined towards 1kva/800 watts APC online UPS costing around 24k, with 2 years warranty on both ups and batteries. After that Rs.4400 per year AMC that covers everything but that is optional.

I was told that the APC comes with EMI/RF filters? This I need to confirm from specs.

Is it good to go?

P.S. The price of 5kva servo is around 14k without any filters. The dealer also suggested to go with online UPS. The 2 or 3 kva APC online UPS costs nearly 34k.

Thanks.

I bought a 3kva line and used it for one full phase so I could use it for ht and a few small lights as a General purpose ups. Maybe you can do thag with a 2kva one.

Quick thoughts :-
1) Do we need power filters for home audio ?
- Based in what I read, the modern day AVRs/amplifiers are well equipped to handle all the impure power. There is also another thought that it is better to avoid all those filters when using amplifiers (as those filters may hinder the dynamic power requirement of the amplifiers).

2) Do we need to avoid voltage fluctuation ?
- Certainly we need to avoid it for efficient operation of any electrical/electronics product.

3) Do we need to have protection ?
- Certainly yes.

A simple voltage Stabilizer (with a enough muscle) should do enough. This is the reason why many people go for Servo Stabilizers which can provide voltage correction and insolation from sudden spikes. These Stabilizers have an option of having in-built surge protectors as well. This simple solution should be more than enough.

Vivek, the idea is indeed good quality power. Without specifics, servo stabilizers are analogous in voltage correction. That is why they are sought after as relatively inexpensive but very apt solution for hi-fi needs. Your equipment would equally get hurt with sudden voltage correction as with sudden voltage drop. As mentioned, Vertex also adds an EMI filter and that is why it is so popular in the hifivision circuit.

My suggestion would be to always go for a pure sine-wave online UPS. The double conversion aspect takes care of noise, surge, isolation, fluctuation, pure sine wave, brown outs, black outs and lot of other concerns that I do not understand!
I am not a power electronics guy but that is what I understood from this very useful thread when I was deciding for myself. Read it when you have time.
Online double conversion online is one of the best solutions if you can place the UPS away as the there is fan noise. APC,Eaton or equivalent also have fan noise that is audible.Else servo ...note that servo also make a low grunt noise when the voltage fluctuates !

Hi

Today I went to my local APC dealer who sells servo stabilizers as well. What I have read
on the net and suggested by many fellow members here, an online UPS should be better than the servo stabilizer. My reasoning for this is that online UPS always converts ac to dc and again to ac and this should be more cleaner than the direct outflow from servo.

My current load is an amp plus dac which is around 350 watts. I plan to add a streamer, tuner and could be a cd player but not that soon. This will still be less than 700 watts.

I am inclined towards 1kva/800 watts APC online UPS costing around 24k, with 2 years warranty on both ups and batteries. After that Rs.4400 per year AMC that covers everything but that is optional.

I was told that the APC comes with EMI/RF filters? This I need to confirm from specs.

Is it good to go?

P.S. The price of 5kva servo is around 14k without any filters. The dealer also suggested to go with online UPS. The 2 or 3 kva APC online UPS costs nearly 34k.

Thanks.

Online UPS is primarily required for Network equipment which is sensitive to switch over time. For AV equipment any Offline UPS (Preferably APC) with a switch over time less than 5ms should do the trick. I hooked up all my AV equipment (TV+AVR+Sub+Streaming Device) to BR1000G-IN, and this set-up is working like a charm.

If you cant keep the UPS outside the room, then look at CVT solutions. I think they will serve you better than offline UPS or Servo Stabs.

Hi Guys

Any word on Microtek/Luminous Online UPS.
In terms of online double conversion iam using APC 1KVA SRC1KI-IN ; most expensive ; has indian type output sockets ; great build quality . Eaton has IEC output sockets . I was using Noida based importer /mfr >BPE -1kva -online double conv before (best power equip) .Performed very well but has a quirky interface ; cost effective.Also to their credit BPE answer emails sent to them . (Note : no affiliations)

Last edited:
Online UPS is primarily required for Network equipment which is sensitive to switch over time. For AV equipment any Offline UPS (Preferably APC) with a switch over time less than 5ms should do the trick. I hooked up all my AV equipment (TV+AVR+Sub+Streaming Device) to BR1000G-IN, and this set-up is working like a charm.
My only inclination towards online UPS is cleaner power over offline one.

Just note that double conversion means that it is very noisy so make sure it's outside the listening area.
True. I have kept mine in an adjacent room.

Hi

Is it good to go?

Thanks.

Yes. Online is definitely better. I have tried both (Online and Offline UPS) and found the SQ is better when powered by online UPS. But beware of the noise. You might want to keep that in another room or so...

Yes. Online is definitely better. I have tried both (Online and Offline UPS) and found the SQ is better when powered by online UPS. But beware of the noise. You might want to keep that in another room or so...
This is kind a surprise to me that an online UPS make that much noise that its a disturbance. How much noise it makes, more than a fan?

I would suggest a CVT with isolation is good enough. Ensure that the power rating is twice the load.
Draw a line for audio off the mains if possible

I would suggest a CVT with isolation is good enough. Ensure that the power rating is twice the load.
Draw a line for audio off the mains if possible
I already have a dedicated line. You mean CVT power rating is twice the load of all equipment? If so.then why so is required?

I already have a dedicated line. You mean CVT power rating is twice the load of all equipment? If so.then why so is required?
Especially when you have high powered amps and active subs, twice the capacity would ensure dynamics are not affected during heavy passages. Though the technical recommendation is around 25 to 35% than the total load, amps can draw quite a bit.

I have 3 phase incoming electricity supply and one is dedicated for audio only. Next I have added a stabilizer rated at 90-280 voltage and a isolation trasnformer.
Next un line are two power boards each with US and international pins.
Both are custom made and rated 5kva I guess.

Imo online ups is the way to go and will add one in future.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back