Static Stabilizers vs Servo Stabilizers

If its a double conversion online ups ( NOT BACK or Line interactive UPS ! ) then no further surge protect required.
Even better if you have a servo stabilizer followed by a online double conversion UPS !
Thanks yes its a double conversion online UPS. I couldn't get the regular recommended Servo Stabilizer guys to deliver to my city. So I guess I will just stick to getting a plain vanilla good quality distribution box.

I live in an area where the power goes off for a few minutes a couple of times on most days. I'm looking for protection for my 60 x 2 Watts Marantz PM7005 stereo amp with power consumption of 170 Watts according to the manual.

The dealer who sold me the amp had suggested an 800 Watts Pure Sine Wave UPS. The problem is that all the solutions I could find online over 600 Watts required an external battery that would add to the cost.

I only need the power to stay on till I can switch off the amp correctly and avoid an abrupt cut off.

Would a 600 W Sine Wave UPS from APC solve my problem? Could you suggest a model number?

Would this be sufficient?

Emerson Liebert iTON CX 600 VA​

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00PBAA4UU/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Bought a double conversion online UPS and received it today. Connected to mains and flipped the switch. At the very moment i got shocked that, that UPS is sounding like a car waiting in idle running. Pretty disappointed. When i spoke to that dealer he said fan will be running only when UPS running in full load. But, that stupid UPS fan running all the time. One of the Emerson brand spec mentioned that max noise level 45db. But, this stupid local make from NanTech, Chennai is giving more than 50db. My wiring doesn't support to keep outside the room. Really don't know what to do. Spent almost 15k for 1KVA UPS.

Contact the dealer.

Maybe the fan therostat connector has got loose during shipment ?

Maybe u can call the manufacturer also ?

In our area there is almost 4 to 5 hours of power cut and the voltage fluctuations are also routine throughout the year .So to tackle the situation i have installed a 12kva servo stabilizer on the mains and from there to a 1000 va Luminous sine wave inverter/ups and both are outside my audio room/ bedroom.The voltage output from the servo varies from 220 volt to 225 volt depending on the input variations.
Hi Imtiyaz, Other FM's
Can Luminous 900 va (Luminous Zelio 1100 Inverter Model) take load of 47" LED TV + Av receiver and Sub and this inverter can be connected to Servo stabilizer output (Mains---> Servo--> Luminous Zelio 900va inverter ---> 47" LED TV + HT AV receiver + sub woofer)?
Since 900va inverter is approx 750w, can it take load for LED TV, AV receiver and sub incase of power failure for 2 or 3 min for safe shutdown.
Also what would be servo stabilizer capacity for 900va inverter with 150ah battery?
Also is it recommended to connect AV receiver to Home inverter as some of the earlier thread says it will void warranty. Luminous zelio 1100 model specs mention as sinewave. Really confused. Please help

Last edited:
Hi Imtiyaz, Other FM's
Can Luminous 900 va (Luminous Zelio 1100 Inverter Model) take load of 47" LED TV + Av receiver and Sub and this inverter can be connected to Servo stabilizer output (Mains---> Servo--> Luminous Zelio 900va inverter ---> 47" LED TV + HT AV receiver + sub woofer)?
Since 900va inverter is approx 750w, can it take load for LED TV, AV receiver and sub incase of power failure for 2 or 3 min for safe shutdown.
Also what would be servo stabilizer capacity for 900va inverter with 150ah battery?
Also is it recommended to connect AV receiver to Home inverter as some of the earlier thread says it will void warranty. Luminous zelio 1100 model specs mention as sinewave. Really confused. Please help
Before you proceed with this set-up, make sure that the switch over time of your Inverter is less than 5ms. Modern AV equipment specially Denon AVR is very susceptible to Switch-Over time.

Just note that double conversion means that it is very noisy so make sure it's outside the listening area.
I too bought a online UPS and measured the noise @1m in a quite place with 42dB ambient noise. The moment I started the UPS, noise level gone to 53 - 55dB. Really annoying..

Friends, can someone please help me here. Is this 55dB noise is expected from a 1 KVA online UPS. I am into debate with them now. Planning to return the same.

Friends, can someone please help me here. Is this 55dB noise is expected from a 1 KVA online UPS. I am into debate with them now. Planning to return the same.
After so much of argument with the vendor, I went with replacing the stock fan with Noctua Redux 80mm fan at my own cost which has near compatible spec for air displacement. Now, fan noise reduced to a great extent. Now, I get max of 41db from 1m. Its just a slight hus which is barely noticeable during day time. Only in late night i could hear the him. UPS temperature also stays at 34 - 35 deg Celsius. Now, UPS sits next to AVR.

For the audio system Servo stabilizer is best option the output voltage is very constant. I use servo stabilizer 15 kva with inbuilt OBO surge protector and 5kva "Topaz" (US) Isolation transformer Hospital grade for audio system.

For the audio system Servo stabilizer is best option the output voltage is very constant. I use servo stabilizer 15 kva with inbuilt OBO surge protector and 5kva "Topaz" (US) Isolation transformer Hospital grade for audio system.
What brand and where to buy it?

What brand and where to buy it?
Vertex I bought in Chennai. but I am not happy with this product. Earlier I was recommended my audio friends, now not recommend! This stabilizer have "Variable transformer"and "Buck Booster" Transformer, variable transformer used copper wire Buck Booster used aluminum wire not good! Other problem is in case of neutral line failed we will have unbalance power output. My worst experience broken rotary shaft of one servo variable transformer. Luckily I have high voltage protection in my isolation transformer so it was prevented audio equipment failures. Out there other servo stabilizer manufacturer have with neutral protection.

Hi Imtiyaz, Other FM's
you can compute yourself. Go to this link, scroll down for the calculator. It is fairly easy.

Hello FMs! I am a bit late to join this thread. Have seen & done a bit of research into this difference of servo vs static and have found that static stabilizer is best option available till date. It is super quick in voltage regulation & is completely noiseless during operation.

People have been preferring servo since they are better than relay type stabilizers and also static's technology is not widely understood. Also there are very few genuine manufacturers of static stabilizer in India.

One of the recent links I found on this forum about is topic is here - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/my-journey-on-securing-my-ht-gear.86672/

If its a double conversion online ups ( NOT BACK or Line interactive UPS ! ) then no further surge protect required.
Even better if you have a servo stabilizer followed by a online double conversion UPS !
Sorry to dig in old thread, what value would a Servo Stab add further in power chain which has an Online UPS (double conversion)?

Sorry to dig in old thread, what value would a Servo Stab add further in power chain which has an Online UPS (double conversion)?
Probably to protect the Online UPS. But a servo is a electromechanical device. It is very slow. In just a matter of microseconds any electronic component can blow off. You require a stabilizer that has very low response time. Only the static voltage stabilizers have that speed. @Vivek Batra is absolutely on the right track here. What I'm not sure is the noise these stabilizers induce. Many of them operate at 18 kHz, which I think can be audible.

Read this document

Almost all instances that I found of thse static voltage stabilizers being noiseless are marketing claims of Indian manufacturers and thesis done in Indian universities. Don't know why the heavy Indian connection to these zero harmonic noise claims.

As per my understanding IGBTs are noisy. https://www.fujielectric.com/produc...pplication/box/doc/pdf/RH984b/REH984b_10a.pdf

The operation of the input IGBT input bridge rectifier significantly reduces lower order harmonics compared to conventional AC PWM drives with 6-pulse diode bridges (<50th harmonic). However, as an inherent nature it introduces significant higher order harmonics, above the 50th. In addition, the action of IGBT switching introduces a pronounced “ripple” at carrier frequencies (~2-3 kHz) into the voltage waveform which must be attenuated by a combination of AC line reactors (which also serve as an energy store that allows the input IGBT rectifier to act as a boost regulator for the DC bus) and capacitors to form a passive (also known as clean power) filter. As compared to conventional 6-pulse AC PWM drives of same rating, AFE drives have significantly higher conducted and radiated EMI emissions, and therefore, special precautions and installation techniques may be necessary when applying them. AFE drives are inherently “four quadrant” (i.e. they can drive and brake in both directions of rotation with any excess kinetic energy during braking regenerated to the supply), offer high dynamic response and are relatively immune to voltage dips.

Last edited:
Probably to protect the Online UPS. But a servo is a electromechanical device. It is very slow. In just a matter of microseconds any electronic component can blow off. You require a stabilizer that has very low response time. Only the static voltage stabilizers have that speed. @Vivek Batra is absolutely on the right track here. What I'm not sure is the noise these stabilizers induce. Many of them operate at 18 kHz, which I think can be audible.

Read this document

Almost all instances that I found of thse static voltage stabilizers being noiseless are marketing claims of Indian manufacturers and thesis done in Indian universities. Don't know why the heavy Indian connection to these zero harmonic noise claims.

As per my understanding IGBTs are noisy. https://www.fujielectric.com/produc...pplication/box/doc/pdf/RH984b/REH984b_10a.pdf

So ideally Mains > SVB > UPS > Equipment?

So ideally Mains > SVB > UPS > Equipment?
Yes.

Mains --> overvoltage protector --> SVB --> spike guard (with fuse) --> UPS --> spike guard (with fuse) --> equipment

The one you purchased recently from Hifimart is a good substitute for the spike guard. I'm also using it.
1656244572212.png

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back