SVS PB-1000 or B&W 610 Sub? Which one to match my setup?

You will have better luck with sealed subs. The ported ones usually do not have the tightness especially in a small room. The PB is no match for the finesse of the B&W - it will lag. It will shake your room but won't be tight. Try the SB series. I have tried the PB in small closed rooms and found it unbearable.

the bass is just too boomy and lacks clarity of sound.. anyways i expect to know by tuesday when the technician returns for another attempt at fixing it...
I got a Rel sub with my previous B&W 600 series speakers. The blend is like heaven. Your speakers are just too fast for the svs pb to keep up.

If you are going for the svs sb series, i would suggest go for the 2000 series at least. Sb2000 should sound good with ur 603 speakers.

Cheers.

Some of the reasons for subs sounding boomy.

1. Most of the subs have too much gain which causes this.
2. Also sometimes break in is required before the sub settles down a bit.
3. Your room has its own bass nodes. Try corner traps.
4. Play with the crossover, phase and gain of the sub. How have you connected it? Via lfe or direct?
If it's via lfe, your subs crossover won't work and you are dependent on the receivers crossover. What's the crossover set too? Some of these big subs don't like to be crossed over high. Your bnw doesn't go low at all. It's just mid bass. So Ideally you should cross it over at 60 or 80 and play with phase to integrate it well. However if you placed it where a room node is getting hit nothing will help you unless u damp it with bass traps.
5. Ported or sealed or passive radiator don't matter. The same design can sound fantastic or rubbish depending on the implementation.
6. Placement is critical. The sub has to couple with the room. Even few inches towards or away from the back all or corner change everything. You will have to play around with his. Read the REL subs manual online. They explain this well.

Why add a sub? It's either for better presence or ambience or to set the bass foundation.

Some subs tend to be smoother, some hit harder, some are boom boom and so on. The smoother ones give a better ambience and presence but you won't feel them. The bnw sub will mostly be in this category though will boom a bit as it doesn't use a very high powered amp.

The hard hitters set the bass foundation on which your main speakers have to draw the portrait. They can sound stunning if done well but they will over power your sytem if you try and set the sub to a higher crossover. I believe this is what you are experiencing. Imagine feeling king kongs steps rather than just hearing a boom boom when he walks. Believe it or not. Some of these hard hitters have to be crossed at 40hz or they will go awry. The hard hitters usually need vary large floorstanders like say a bnw 802.

The boom boom subs are the cheapy or poor designed ones. They cannot do presence nor set the foundation. It is almost a function of wrong design though a well designed sub that runs out of power will also boom.

I usually say if you have weaker main speakers go with an ambience sub.
Thanks for this detailed feedback.. will analyse the setup and take my time tuning it.. at the very least I would have learnt a lot and still get a replacement

I am looking for good clean punchy bass at even low volumes...

I was under the impression that a ported sub would perform better than a sealed sub..

Would you feel that two b and w 610 would match the setup better?

Go audition the BIC America PL 200 ii and you will be sorted!

Some may say to go for the PB 2000 or SB 1000...please audition the same movie content and make an informed decision.

I use the Marantz SR 6009 and a BIC PL 200 and is very happy with the music and movie performance.....nothing lacking at all...
I also use the bic pl200-ii. Using with denon 2400 nd Dali speakers. The sub is indeed excellent but Since U have mentioned it doesn’t lack anything I have a doubt. I am extremely happy with its performance but in action scenes where pple are punching at each other I don’t feel the bass. Explosions, things thrown etc awesome thump. But in fist fights I just don’t feel any bass

Last edited:
I also use the bic pl200-ii. Using with denon 2400 nd Dali speakers. The sub is indeed excellent but Since U have mentioned it doesn’t lack anything I have a doubt. I am extremely happy with its performance but in action scenes where pple are punching at each other I don’t feel the bass. Explosions, things thrown etc awesome thump. But in fist fights I just don’t feel any bass

Have you tried changing the sub frequencies? (what gets sent to the sub?)

Have you tried changing the sub frequencies? (what gets sent to the sub?)
I have kept the lfe at 120 and even tested with 80 still the same. The thump is missing only in action scenes that involves punching and kicking. 0 bass nd it sounds flat.

Have you tried...90...100 and 110?
Tried 80, 100, 120. But this shouldn’t have big impact in bass right? If set at 120 all lfe will be directed to the sub? If u feel the thump is there even in hand to hand action scenes do let me know the movie name with the time of the scene I will check it out.

Can you let me know which specific movie you are referring to where you felt no impact?

Secondly, I use a Marantz and it has options of LFE adjustment 90, 100 and 110.....I keep it at 110....

The fronts are set to Large ...for me any speaker which has cones more than 5 inch can be treated as Large..... bass is LFE+MAIN......

Try this and see the difference.......... then later ....only adjust the LFE going to sub......either 90/100/110...

As @efernand1 says, just believe him not just by his words but by his in-depth knowledge. I trusted and now belive him. The BIC Pl200 ii are roaring Bass as thunder. Compare the price and warranty too when you make a decision.

Can you let me know which specific movie you are referring to where you felt no impact?

Secondly, I use a Marantz and it has options of LFE adjustment 90, 100 and 110.....I keep it at 110....

The fronts are set to Large ...for me any speaker which has cones more than 5 inch can be treated as Large..... bass is LFE+MAIN......

Try this and see the difference.......... then later ....only adjust the LFE going to sub......either 90/100/110...
Watched so many movies difficult to re collect. To name a few latest mission impossible before climax where Benji, the heroine fight with the villan inside a room and Tom cruise nd the villan fight in the mountain. Fast and furious the last part for Paul Walker. Ther will be a Scene where the cast will kidnap a female character. When Paul Walker jumps in to the truck nd Punches a Asian guy

As @efernand1 says, just believe him not just by his words but by his in-depth knowledge. I trusted and now belive him. The BIC Pl200 ii are roaring Bass as thunder. Compare the price and warranty too when you make a decision.
Yeah the bic is good nd after a satisfying demo I went for it as my budget was 35-40k. But I have heard subs that are way better but will cost u more. Under 50 bic is the Best Buy. If u push ur budget to 70k plus there are subs with better performance

Watched so many movies difficult to re collect. To name a few latest mission impossible before climax where Benji, the heroine fight with the villan inside a room and Tom cruise nd the villan fight in the mountain. Fast and furious the last part for Paul Walker. Ther will be a Scene where the cast will kidnap a female character. When Paul Walker jumps in to the truck nd Punches a Asian guy

Ok lets get this sorted.....

Please share a snap (click from your mobile) the screen which shows how many speakers are setup (Large / Small)

Next photo on what freq settings are for each of these speakers....then next snap on LFE settings (LFE + MAIN) and LFE for sub.....

I can then help to guide / fine tune it further......

Ok lets get this sorted.....

Please share a snap (click from your mobile) the screen which shows how many speakers are setup (Large / Small)

Next photo on what freq settings are for each of these speakers....then next snap on LFE settings (LFE + MAIN) and LFE for sub.....

I can then help to guide / fine tune it further......
I used smal settings only. I had al speakers set to smal now changed the front alone to large

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    740.3 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    739.5 KB · Views: 30
I used smal settings only. I had al speakers set to smal now changed the front alone to large

Hi Since you are using Dz3.....Large is proper setting.....secondly keeping it at 100hz is a crime....please get it down to 60hz......

LFE+MAIN is correct

The sub LFE.....it is at 120.....get that to 110...else 100....

Now try a good fighting scene.....best check would be the Pearl Habour attack scene....you have bullets, blasts patters etc.....it will help.....

Hope the content being played via Blu Ray player is proper DD or DTS ....

Hi Since you are using Dz3.....Large is proper setting.....secondly keeping it at 100hz is a crime....please get it down to 60hz......

LFE+MAIN is correct

The sub LFE.....it is at 120.....get that to 110...else 100....

Now try a good fighting scene.....best check would be the Pearl Habour attack scene....you have bullets, blasts patters etc.....it will help.....

Hope the content being played via Blu Ray player is proper DD or DTS ....
Ok thanks I will try these settings and check if there is any improvements.

There would be a huge improvement....after settings are done.....turn off everything and switch back on......

Sub volume on the sub should be 45% or 50%......

There may be many factors ,but what I guess is ur sub might have not integrated properly .Try sub crawl first and locate the sub in the optimum location according to the suitability of the room .
I also use Dali Zensor ,its not good in mid bass compartively . With proper integration of the sub ,and try diffrent crossover settings with Audyssey On/Off ,u can bring out the punch as desired.
Good Luck!

There would be a huge improvement....after settings are done.....turn off everything and switch back on......

Sub volume on the sub should be 45% or 50%......
I am unable to increase the sub volume knob more then one level. Bass is so muddy and distorted.

There may be many factors ,but what I guess is ur sub might have not integrated properly .Try sub crawl first and locate the sub in the optimum location according to the suitability of the room .
I also use Dali Zensor ,its not good in mid bass compartively . With proper integration of the sub ,and try diffrent crossover settings with Audyssey On/Off ,u can bring out the punch as desired.
Good Luck!
Ok thanks Ranjith I will try with different settings.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back