SVS PB-1000 or B&W 610 Sub? Which one to match my setup?

I auditioned the following today
1) Jamo d600... it was a good sub... good punch.. MRP 1,35,000/- I think
2) bowers wilkins PV1D - overpriced and not that powerful. MRP 1,85,000/-

Tomorrow plan to audition the b and w 610, 610XP and the SVS PB2000

Sigh Bangalore traffic is a killer... can’t reach so many places to audition :-(

I am auditioning with blu rays of
1) dark knight
2) dark knight rises
3) Oblivion
4) Rush
Add tron to the list. Has amazing BGM. If u don’t have the Blu Ray disk u can download it online. Pacific rim and edge of tomorrow is also good for testing.

So I settled for the SVS PB2000. I did a whole bunch of auditioning and i realised after hearing the SVS SB16 and the PB4000 that only if I spend seriously more money will I get that extra thump I was looking for. The SB16 and the PB4000 were awesome in sound!

I couldn’t get a demo of the b and w 610XP in Bangalore. Seems nowhere on demo unfortunately. And I am sticking to what advise I got of not going for reviews and only buy what I audition..

Not prepared to exceed my budget more.. I initially started at 2.5 and have already crossed 4

My room doesn’t have space for 2 ported subs... sealed I could accommodate but given I could not get the demos, decided to go with the PB2000 for now.

Thanks all for the awesome advise

So I settled for the SVS PB2000. I did a whole bunch of auditioning and i realised after hearing the SVS SB16 and the PB4000 that only if I spend seriously more money will I get that extra thump I was looking for. The SB16 and the PB4000 were awesome in sound!

I couldn’t get a demo of the b and w 610XP in Bangalore. Seems nowhere on demo unfortunately. And I am sticking to what advise I got of not going for reviews and only buy what I audition..

Not prepared to exceed my budget more.. I initially started at 2.5 and have already crossed 4

My room doesn’t have space for 2 ported subs... sealed I could accommodate but given I could not get the demos, decided to go with the PB2000 for now.

Glad you spent once and for something you liked rather than try and cut corners and never be happy. I'm curious. How did the jamo sound compared to the pb2000? Congrats sir. Enjoy your new purchase for years to come.

Glad you spent once and for something you liked rather than try and cut corners and never be happy. I'm curious. How did the jamo sound compared to the pb2000? Congrats sir. Enjoy your new purchase for years to come.

The Jamo sounded good too. It had a bit more thump than the PB2000 but this is a bit subjective as it depends on amp, room setup etc and I could not compare them side by side. I didn’t see a huge difference. That I saw only with the SB16 and Pb4000 playing together which is unfair to compare with a single sub

Jamo I was getting for 1.3 vs the PB2000 which is around 90..

Good decision ,I have heard PB2000(one of my friend has it) ,its fast and goes loud with good LFE details.
Only downside I felt is recently SVS prices has gone very very steep in the recent years.

Good decision ,I have heard PB2000(one of my friend has it) ,its fast and goes loud with good LFE details.
Only downside I felt is recently SVS prices has gone very very steep in the recent years.

From what i have experienced at all the auditions, it seems the SVS is by far the most popular brand for subs and getting demos was far easier for this.. A lot of the outlets mentioned that SVS far outsells all other subs. ( 50 SVS to 1 for one top bangalore retailer)

Seems SVS have a good distribution network or the product is simply in much demand for quality. I should get mine by this weekend... My expectations are high :)

Well that may be the case for Bangalore....else where its different.....In Mumbai its a mixed market...since space is a premium.....most will go for compact value subs......given also the busy time we spend at work etc....so equal balance for most of us is BIC America, or Sunfire or Def tech, Jamo, Wharfedale, DIY subs, SVS, B&W etc......

It can also be a mixed market elsewhere too....it all depends finally on ones listening preferences, requirements and budget!

Congrats on your decision! And on making a decision...thats the hardest part for us audio nuts! A question: did Audyssey not make a difference to the boominess in your earlier SVS 1000? Did you redoing Audyssey setup? Sorry if you've already answered it but I faced the same issue with my entry level Klipsch sub but Audyssey really helped tone down the boom and increased the grunt and thump. Of course, it can't speed up the sub - thats a limitation of the product (and my budget!) but it did make an audible impact...

Congrats on your decision! And on making a decision...thats the hardest part for us audio nuts! A question: did Audyssey not make a difference to the boominess in your earlier SVS 1000? Did you redoing Audyssey setup? Sorry if you've already answered it but I faced the same issue with my entry level Klipsch sub but Audyssey really helped tone down the boom and increased the grunt and thump. Of course, it can't speed up the sub - thats a limitation of the product (and my budget!) but it did make an audible impact...
Audyssey was run twice.. it did help a bit but most if the knowledge came from the technician who knew his stuff... thats what really made a difference in the end...

Heres my final update on this thread... The PB2000 has finally come in. The dealer had a bit of delay in getting the shipment so i got it only yesterday.

In short, the sub is fantastic. It meets my requirements extremely well - powerful bass at low volumes where you feel it and also at high volumes it carries clear sound. I am told that once the sub breaks in, it will sound even better. I cant explain why the PB2000 demo at random dealers place did not sound this good. (Maybe their setup was different)

The PB1000 is blown away by the PB2000. PB1000 did not come close on the same soundtracks when i had it on demo at home earlier on identical setup. (I don't have space for 2 PB1000's so i cant comment on dual sub configs being better than a single sub)

So, if you have the budget for a PB2000, go for that over the PB1000. Hope this helps fellow members in their journey!

How much did you get your B&W 603 for. Have heard 610 sub.. Though a good sub, I assume SVS PB1000 should be better ( havent heard these though and still trying to decide) as B&W 610 did not seem to go low enough in scenes like Dark Knight opening robbery scene and also did not have the punch. Demoed the same scene on M&K V10.. it was a league better than B&W 610..when I played the same scene. Despite being a sealed sub.. it had the punch and went low enough (its good with music too). You could consider SB2000.. again havent heard but reviews are good, more powerful though I havent auditioned the same to be able to decide between PB1000 or SB 2000 or MK V10

Heres my final update on this thread... The PB2000 has finally come in. The dealer had a bit of delay in getting the shipment so i got it only yesterday.

In short, the sub is fantastic. It meets my requirements extremely well - powerful bass at low volumes where you feel it and also at high volumes it carries clear sound. I am told that once the sub breaks in, it will sound even better. I cant explain why the PB2000 demo at random dealers place did not sound this good. (Maybe their setup was different)

The PB1000 is blown away by the PB2000. PB1000 did not come close on the same soundtracks when i had it on demo at home earlier on identical setup. (I don't have space for 2 PB1000's so i cant comment on dual sub configs being better than a single sub)

So, if you have the budget for a PB2000, go for that over the PB1000. Hope this helps fellow members in their journey!

Congrats...post some pics....not sure if there a SVS speakers owners thread.....if not then better to start one....it will help

the bass is just too boomy and lacks clarity of sound.. anyways i expect to know by tuesday when the technician returns for another attempt at fixing it...
SVS subwoofers are not focused at mid bass punch. They does well going deeper.B&W sw do get good punch in mids and will go well with rest of setup.l have found that subwoofer should match well with front sonically to get best of it.

SVS subwoofers are not focused at mid bass punch. They does well going deeper.B&W sw do get good punch in mids and will go well with rest of setup.l have found that subwoofer should match well with front sonically to get best of it.

Hi Spirovious, while I have not heard the B&W subwoofer, I can definitely comment on the SVS PC 2000 which is similar to the PB 2000 & in one word they are awesome not just for movies but even for music. They have far exceeded my expectations. The PC 2000 replaced the Definitive Technology Prosub 1000 which is no match for the SVS. Music sounds fantastic on them & still better when when properly callibrated by Audyssey XT 32.
Excellent review for them by Sound & Vision editor Mark who also tested them for his 2 channel setup. They sound powerful at low volume & can sound very delicate when the track demands & is not overbearing. For movies they will shake the couch. Their 3000 series sounds very promising.

My observations are based on demo in treated room and 4 svs subs were played back to back with Denon avr.Some FMs also reported that solid punch missing.Yes svs goes deeper than B&W 6 series sub.B&W are fast and good for movies.They also use class AB plate amps.
Yes Audyssey can make the sw curve better though.Finally room and front speaker matching also matters.

Just wanted to update - After 10 months of usage, the B&W speakers have run in beautifully. For my music, i use 2 channel and the sound is extremely well balanced through all the ranges.

The SVS PB2000 now sounds fantastic after the run in. The bass is great and everything that i was looking for. There is a definite improvement in sound after the run in period.

Overall am very happy with my setup and thanks to all the members here for the constant feedback!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back