Tata Sky launches Tata Sky+ HD at just Rs. 3999/

Don't bother going for a branded coaxial cable. Trust me, the integrity of these electrical cables is so good that you could use any damn household WIRE to make shift into a digital audio connection. Hence any working even Rs.10 cable will give you jitter free audio.

Alternatively, you could use any spare composite (AVI) or component video cable for coaxial output.

The clicking sound you hear while changing channels must be mostly due to optical connection RESETS digital audio every time the stream is changed (while changing channels) which do not happen in coaxial cable so it should fix such sound as I am not getting it through coaxial connection.

Cool, so Coax cable should fix clicking issue in sub-woofer.

I'll check if I can find some spare cable in my house, otherwise I will go for the cheapest coax cable in the store.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Yesterday TS deducted 100 Rs from my account.
The reason is : Non Standard Installation!!

I called up customer care and they say that, the cable wire length from antena to my set-top box exceeded certain length (dont remember exactly), thats why I was charged 100 Rs extra.

The conv:
----------
Me : No matter what, its part of installation right ? In the TS+HD website it was said that installation charges will be waved off. So why are you charging me ?

CC Executive : Sir, as I told already, the cable wire length exceeded xx meters and thats why we charged 100 Rs non standard installtion cost.

Me : Why is that its not mentioned in the TS+HD site ? Why didnt the engineer who came for installation spoke with me about this charge ? Its a hidden charge then ?

CC Executive : Sorry for not mentioning it in site.

Me : What is the guarantee that tomorrow you will not come up with another fictitious charge, say the dish antena extra charge or some stupid charge ?

CC Executive : I give you my personal guarantee that there will not be any extra charges apart from this.

Me : (in my mind, oh my god, there people are simply unreliable) Hmmmm.... long pause.... ok.

So guys, did any of you being charged 100 Rs for non-standard installation ?

Last edited:
I had installations from Videocon & Dish, and both of them charged more for any extra length of wire than that mentioned in their conditions.

I guess the bigger thing is whether you are happy with quality and content on Tata Sky. How do you find the PQ of SD and HD channels?

The TS HD+ installation package comes with 24 m wire. Anything more than that is to borne by the subscriber. I was informed this by the person who came for installation and the person whom I called on TS helpline number to place the order.

Also Dish charges this upfront in cash so that you are also sure how much extra was charged and the cost is Rs 20/m for additional wires. It is transparent in that respect.

I had installations from Videocon & Dish, and both of them charged more for any extra length of wire than that mentioned in their conditions.

I guess the bigger thing is whether you are happy with quality and content on Tata Sky. How do you find the PQ of SD and HD channels?

SD is good.

HD PQ is good but audio is cripled (except Nat geo).

Also there is an issue I'm facing, when I record 2 channels and watch any one of them, I get audio glitch for every 2 mins or so. raised a query with TS, engineer is visiting today. Should see what happens....

I am also observing audio Glitch now (possibly after the recent software upgrade on almost all my recordings which were recorded even before the software upgrade). It seems that the recent software upgrade can not process audio reliably when playing back from recordings, I will observe more on the live feeds to see if this issue exist only on recording or is from broadcasts.

Talking of cable length, if TS engineer did not tell you anything of the cable length exceeding, you should ask the CC to reverse the charges!

Its mentioned in the website cable wire upto 24 mts exceeding that ull be charged extra.

Yes, but the installation guy should TELL the person that he HAD to use more than 24 meters of cable and put a remark in the "Work Order" and take signature accordingly. They could not charge the customers ARBITRARILY!

Me : (in my mind, oh my god, there people are simply unreliable)

We have to be careful with the end guy in all cases: cell-phone applications, investment scheme opening forms, .... The list is endless. Unfortunately we can't work like companies who have a legal team to evaluate every document being signed. Sometimes we face extra charges if we sign incomplete filled forms or filled forms without reading :). Best strategy is to use as much care as possible.

What has happened to the EPG on Discovery HD World? It is just showing up as empty boxes.

Not a big defect, but I liked knowing what program I was watching.

Is it freezing for few seconds or permanently freezing? Do soft cycling of power (instead of taking off the power and restarting) help?

The system has to be hard reset to bring it out of most freezes. Once i had a recorded movie freeze and at that time the interface allowed me to switch to another movie and back. Also the system seems to have a watchdog timer. It hard resets automatically some time after a freeze.

-- no1lives4ever

I have also observed 3 to 4 times remote sensor stop responding (the light on the STB blinks when I press a remote key). But I guess its a firmware bug which should be fixed by a firmware upgrade. Let me know if someone else also facing this issue.

Also, trying to schedule recording through mytatasky website (portal) doesn't work for me. Initially it used to give error now it says scheduled, but nothing happens on my STB. Did anyone try that feature? I am trying to use the mobile and internet scheduled recording feature. So far, I have been unsuccessful.

So many bugs with the product,its surprising, i am still using the TS HD box, but never faced so many issues .

Also, trying to schedule recording through mytatasky website (portal) doesn't work for me. Initially it used to give error now it says scheduled, but nothing happens on my STB. Did anyone try that feature? I am trying to use the mobile and internet scheduled recording feature. So far, I have been unsuccessful.

I had used mytatasky portal for recording the ICC WC finals, and it worked fine. Haven't tried it after that.

Currently its not possible to get Dolby Digital 5.1 from HDMI out of Tata Sky + HD.

Hope they provide it in future firmware upgrade, but its a long shot and I'm not sure TataSky+HD will have this feature for another 6 months...

Back