Tata Sky vs. Videocon D2H

Earlier, it was said that ts does not have enough transponders to telecast more hd channels. It has been quite a while since they moved to the new satellite. They have more bandwidth now. Yet they have failed to add any more hd channels, save the stupid Colors HD. I, for one, am seriously disappointed for the money charged vs. the content provided

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

They already moved to the new sats? Wth? That was their excuse till now for not adding more HD channels. Damn it. Too invested into TS to change now (4 hd dvrs at home). Been a TS fan ever since I got their connection years ago but this is getting too much now. >.<

VideoconD2H has started 5.1 Dolby Audio on most of the HD channels which are originally broadcast in 5.1 sound.
few channels like Zee TV HD, Zee Cinema HD, Ten HD, MAX HD, ESPN HD, Star Cricket HD don't provide 5.1 sound, only Stereo sound. So don't expect 5.1 on these channels. If you see 5.1 sound on any of these channels, then it's not right. i.e. DTH provider has upconverted stereo sound to 5.1 which will sound worse than original stereo broadcast.

better don't give wrong info , videocond2h not yet startd the 5.1 DD . may be thy have plans . for now u cant get 5.1 in any HD channels .

:mad:

AFAIK, you get 5.1 channel sound in HD channels on Videocon D2H via coaxial and/or optical out. As technobhatt said, some Zee channels are exception and provide stereo sound only.

If you connect via HDMI you will get stereo sound only. You need to use the coaxial/optical out to get 5.1.

AFAIK, you get 5.1 channel sound in HD channels on Videocon D2H via coaxial and/or optical out. As technobhatt said, some Zee channels are exception and provide stereo sound only.

If you connect via HDMI you will get stereo sound only. You need to use the coaxial/optical out to get 5.1.

They have SPDIF output point and I have the digital audio cable connected to it from the AVR .

Denon is showing DOLBY DIGITAL signal, but when I hold MOVIE, I dont see DOLBY DIGITAL .

It only shows Pro Logic, Stereo, Multi Channel.

I switched to Videocon HD DTH from Airtel HD DTH recently and I am really happy with the performance. Video quality and audio quality is quiet good. Less expensive and more HD stuff compare to same package with Airtel. No intense LOGO compare to Airtel and very very less susceptible to IR on my Plasma due to transparent logo.

AIRTEL LOGO is not good for Plasma TV.

My local cable operator is nasty, doesn't address issues. I've Hathway SD at Delhi. I'm now planning to switch to TataSky or Videocon D2H.

After reading a lot of reviews on this site, I feel both are almost same except Videocon is cheaper and TS offer good Cust Care. My inclination is towards Videocon primarily because of price. I don't want to spend a fortune watching TV.

I own samsung 32" Full HD LCD at home, have watched Avatar movie (downloaded from a torrent website in 720p resolution) on this TV. The resolution is breathtaking, it's crystal clear to say the least. The first time I saw it on my tv, I was blown away by the clarity. I can't even imagine what will 1080p resolution be like after seeing this.

Interestingly, the PQ on Full HD (or just HD) channels offered on top service providers stands nowhere near to that movie I saw. I've visited many retail digital stores that sell LCD/LED TV and had them switch to Discovery/NGC and other HD channels on TS/D2H/Airtel etc just to compare. I've also compared this on various sizes full HD TVs ranging from 24" to 42". Never could I find a channel with that clarity, not even close to it.

I'm a little confused as to what picture quality you're talking about. All of you say that either one or both providers provide great PQ. I find it strange.

I also have read online that most channels don't produce ORIGINAL HD Content since it's costly except a few such as Discovery/NGC. So many providers charge you for HD content even though they give you upscaled of SD. Even the true HD ones don't look HD to me based on my comparisions.

Anyway. Guess I've no other option.

I wanted to ask if Videocon charges HD Access fee like TS does? This is sheer exploitation by TS.

Last edited:
My local cable operator is nasty, doesn't address issues. I've Hathway SD at Delhi. I'm now planning to switch to TataSky or Videocon D2H.

After reading a lot of reviews on this site, I feel both are almost same except Videocon is cheaper and TS offer good Cust Care. My inclination is towards Videocon primarily because of price. I don't want to spend a fortune watching TV.

I own samsung 32" Full HD LCD at home, have watched Avatar movie (downloaded from a torrent website in 720p resolution) on this TV. The resolution is breathtaking, it's crystal clear to say the least. The first time I saw it on my tv, I was blown away by the clarity. I can't even imagine what will 1080p resolution be like after seeing this.

Interestingly, the PQ on Full HD (or just HD) channels offered on top service providers stands nowhere near to that movie I saw. I've visited many retail digital stores that sell LCD/LED TV and had them switch to Discovery/NGC and other HD channels on TS/D2H/Airtel etc just to compare. I've also compared this on various sizes full HD TVs ranging from 24" to 42". Never could I find a channel with that clarity, not even close to it.

I'm a little confused as to what picture quality you're talking about. All of you say that either one or both providers provide great PQ. I find it strange.

I also have read online that most channels don't produce ORIGINAL HD Content since it's costly except a few such as Discovery/NGC. So many providers charge you for HD content even though they give you upscaled of SD. Even the true HD ones don't look HD to me based on my comparisions.

I wanted to ask if Videocon charges HD Access fee like TS does? This is sheer exploitation by TS.

Videocon does'nt charge any HD Access fee..

Sent from my ST15i using Tapatalk 2

A 32" TV is no judge of full HD. Note that HD DTH is 1080i and not 1080p. The smaller the TV, the better the picture will look. In a showroom, the light is very bright and even for an LED, the picture is still a little washed out. Naturally, TV at home will appear better.

Although Videocon does not charge HD access fee like Tatasky, the extra charges are built into the channel package fee. Still Videocon is cheaper, at least today.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Hello
Just my two Cents on Tatasky_HD Vs Videocon_HD Debate...
Since i shifted to Videocon_HD from Tatasky_HD recently here are my submissions

1. Tata Sky and videocon Picture quality is the same ...i used tatasky for 1 yr and Videocon for 3 months on a Panny Plasma couldnt make out any difference

2. As of what i know Videocon provides more... HD Channels 22 VS 12 from tatasky.

3. Videocon is much cheaper annual platinum HD with all channels costs somewhere near Rs 398 per month(bulk discount 1 Year included)...all channels plus HD.

4. Tatasky has recently started looting people with HD access fee and a rider that to see a HD channel you also have to have that specific channel in the base pack...all channels Plus HD for 1 Year Rs 559/- Per Month

5. Only gripe for Videocon HD is that the User interface is slow in pulling out info about channels and is not very intuitive they really have to work on their UI ..rest is good.

Last edited:
A 32" TV is no judge of full HD. Note that HD DTH is 1080i and not 1080p. The smaller the TV, the better the picture will look. In a showroom, the light is very bright and even for an LED, the picture is still a little washed out. Naturally, TV at home will appear better.

I totally disagree.

Going by your logic, a 24" Full HD should show picture even better than a 32" but it does not. I've compared against various sizes, brands, showrooms and lighting conditions. What you're saying is more of what's written in the book. I'm saying from my practical experience. I've owned my TV for more than an year and have watched different resolution movies/programs and know what I'm talking about. I own Hathway SD at home. Most of the showrooms have TS, Airtel, D2H. I've always found the picture quality of my TV inferior to what I've observed at showrooms (under your extreme lighting). Per your explanation, it should be the other way round. It's just the 720p movie that I'm comparing everything against.

Going by your lighting condition explanation, I could just laugh. Showrooms certainly does have more lighting than homes but you'd agree that they keep their TV sets tuned (colors, contrast, sharpness, brightness) in such a way that they look the best even under extreme lighting. Just a marketing strategy. At home, we customize TVs to look best under home lighting. May be you should really download a 1080p movie and watch it on your TV and than see the difference.

And 1080i or 1080p is essentially the same except the way they are transmitted to receiver. i is for interlaced and p for progressive scan. If you carefully read through TS and D2H websites, you'll see TS uses 1080i and D2H uses 1080p. i uses less bandwidth because it sends half of the actual image (even and odd numbered lines (of the total 1080 lines) per frame) but p sends full image in every frame transmitted but requires more bandwidth. i is an older technology and p is the latest one. Do a little bit research before you write something.

I totally disagree.

Going by your logic, a 24" Full HD should show picture even better than a 32" but it does not. I've compared against various sizes, brands, showrooms and lighting conditions. What you're saying is more of what's written in the book. I'm saying from my practical experience. I've owned my TV for more than an year and have watched different resolution movies/programs and know what I'm talking about. I own Hathway SD at home. Most of the showrooms have TS, Airtel, D2H. I've always found the picture quality of my TV inferior to what I've observed at showrooms (under your extreme lighting). Per your explanation, it should be the other way round. It's just the 720p movie that I'm comparing everything against.

Going by your lighting condition explanation, I could just laugh. Showrooms certainly does have more lighting than homes but you'd agree that they keep their TV sets tuned (colors, contrast, sharpness, brightness) in such a way that they look the best even under extreme lighting. Just a marketing strategy. At home, we customize TVs to look best under home lighting. May be you should really download a 1080p movie and watch it on your TV and than see the difference.

And 1080i or 1080p is essentially the same except the way they are transmitted to receiver. i is for interlaced and p for progressive scan. If you carefully read through TS and D2H websites, you'll see TS uses 1080i and D2H uses 1080p. i uses less bandwidth because it sends half of the actual image (even and odd numbered lines (of the total 1080 lines) per frame) but p sends full image in every frame transmitted but requires more bandwidth. i is an older technology and p is the latest one. Do a little bit research before you write something.
You need to do some research, my friend.

For your info, I don't download anything. I have over 200 original blu-ray discs (and nearly 170 original DVDs). I have viewed original BDs on 32", 46" and my own 50" TV. I definitely know what I am talking about. But no worries - you don't have to agree with me and neither am I insisting that you do so. Believe what you will.

Peace and amen. :cool:

A quick question...can I adapt a TS dish to accept Videocon signals? I assume then I only have to get the set top box and a subscription, of course. I too think TS is just unacceptably expensive at this point of time.

^^Videocon will give you a new dish in that 5600 rupees or whatever they charge for 1 year. At my place they just replaced the TS dish with the videocon dish and kept the wiring etc just the same. Technically it might be possible to use the tata sky dish. However one is better off swapping the dish just in case tatasky demands it back at some point in time. Technically the dish belongs to tatasky.

A quick question...can I adapt a TS dish to accept Videocon signals? I assume then I only have to get the set top box and a subscription, of course. I too think TS is just unacceptably expensive at this point of time.

^^Videocon will give you a new dish in that 5600 rupees or whatever they charge for 1 year. At my place they just replaced the TS dish with the videocon dish and kept the wiring etc just the same. Technically it might be possible to use the tata sky dish. However one is better off swapping the dish just in case tatasky demands it back at some point in time. Technically the dish belongs to tatasky.

Essentially correct. A dish is just a device that focusses the transmission waves to it focal point. The LNB is situated at the focus and is a receptor. These two devices are universal and may be interchanged freely. But a new provider will brings its own CPE and will not give you rebate just for the dish+lnb (which are anyway low cost). It is also correct that CPE belongs to the provider and they can take it back.

Buddysin, take a chill pill. Do some research and you'll find out resolution isn't the only criteria for image clarity. Use some common sense along with the research and you'll realize why its impractical to compare a 720p download with a live broadcast. Google is your friend. If you still can't figure it out on your own, let me know. I'll help you out once I have more free time later on.

Not disagreeing with you though. Don't bother with downloaded crap much so no idea how good/bad that 720p avatar video is, but there is a pretty good chance its better than the live broadcasted dth video. Google it and you'll figure out why/how that's possible. Ofcourse, let me know if you can't.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back