Technics Turntable Owners Club

I am currently using Shure M3D with Fisher int amp & Quad pre/power .

This combination is good for mid level for now but welcome suggestions DL 103 n customised phono Stage .

I believe Tonearm is primary element , for analogue source .

Welcome more suggestion pls...

What VTF are you using for the M3D?

I feel the effective mass of the stock 1200 arm is less for a DL 103. Of course one can use headshell weight with corresponding heavier balance weight to increase effective mass of the stock arm, BUT the quality of the arm remains a limitation (IMO, of course). Plus the massive damping that deadens the sound too much for my personal taste. YMMV.

In my opinion I think before thinking about an upgrade, always look at the bigger picture. When it comes to records, I would look at:
1) what am i actually playing, Ex condition records or used records, Bollywood records or western music records, Genre of music, indian pressing or other pressings, 180g vinyl, thinner pressings or picture discs and similar considerations
2) what kind of chain do i have, is the chain capable of reproducing change resulting from the upgrade
3) what are the demerits of the upgrade (often overlooked) - there can be many, when i change from my humble M44-7 to my marquee V-type III, many of my older records wont just play the same, some Indian pressings sound like they are being played through a speaker placed in an earthen pot
4) am i a person for originals/stock condition or am i a person for customized hot/rods
5) will i be able to revert to the original specs without much 'damage'
6) do i actually need the upgrade - cost/benefit analysis - do i need to pay all that more for just that decimal percentile of betterment, is it worth it for me?
7) will this upgrade be relevant only if other upgrades are also initiated - will this one trigger off another set of upgrades
8) am i looking purely for listening pleasure or bragging rights or both - am i doing this for myself or to impress others or both
9) am i looking at potential investment options - yes there are many who invest in audio equipment as an investment option
10) maintenance costs for the new upgrade :)

In my opinion I think before thinking about an upgrade, always look at the bigger picture. When it comes to records, I would look at:
1) what am i actually playing, Ex condition records or used records, Bollywood records or western music records, Genre of music, indian pressing or other pressings, 180g vinyl, thinner pressings or picture discs and similar considerations
2) what kind of chain do i have, is the chain capable of reproducing change resulting from the upgrade
3) what are the demerits of the upgrade (often overlooked) - there can be many, when i change from my humble M44-7 to my marquee V-type III, many of my older records wont just play the same, some Indian pressings sound like they are being played through a speaker placed in an earthen pot
4) am i a person for originals/stock condition or am i a person for customized hot/rods
6) do i actually need the upgrade - cost/benefit analysis - do i need to pay all that more for just that decimal percentile of betterment, is it worth it for me?
7) will this upgrade be relevant only if other upgrades are also initiated - will this one trigger off another set of upgrades
8) am i looking purely for listening pleasure or bragging rights or both - am i doing this for myself or to impress others or both
9) am i looking at potential investment options - yes there are many who invest in audio equipment as an investment option
U have beautiful explained the
Dear Reubensm, Thanks for ur reply , u have beautifully summarised. Any of upgrade is improvement, now it’s a big question if change can bring improvement or no , but in technics it looks simple . If no change in SQ then revert to stock by placing the entire assembly back on TT at least this is what I think ....

U have beautiful explained the

Dear Reubensm, Thanks for ur reply , u have beautifully summarised. Any of upgrade is improvement, now it’s a big question if change can bring improvement or no , but in technics it looks simple . If no change in SQ then revert to stock by placing the entire assembly back on TT at least this is what I think ....
Its just the opposite. There are very limited options for tonearm for SL1210. the most common one are SME (costly) or Rega. Rega tonearm is definitely better than stock Technics tonearm, but not leagues ahead . SMEs are usually low mass tonearm hence not suitable for most MC carts.
The Denon Dl 103 and a better MC phonostege would be better upgrade to this table IMHO.

Regards
Sachin

T
Its just the opposite. There are very limited options for tonearm for SL1210. the most common one are SME (costly) or Rega. Rega tonearm is definitely better than stock Technics tonearm, but not leagues ahead . SMEs are usually low mass tonearm hence not suitable for most MC carts.
The Denon Dl 103 and a better MC phonostege would be better upgrade to this table IMHO.

Regards
Sachin
Thanks Sachin well noted

I have an old belt drive Yahama yp400 TT, where can I get a new belt, belt approx 18"
Thanks

Hello members. I bought a Technics SL-Q3 (1979 same birth year as me) a couple of days ago. I read on the forum, a few members who have used it and would like some feedback and tips if you will please take the time out. thanks

The internet told me that it's a decent table to buy since its quartz controlled, aluminium diecast plinth, s shaped cymbal arm which is similar to the ones in 1200s.
All the functions worked View attachment 44760and though there are a few battle scars on the unit, I still decided to get it.
Opened it up first thing when it arrived and thanks to the preparation watching youtube videos ahead of its arrival, I was able to make sense of it inside.

The memo-repeat button and size selector weren't moving very freely so cleaned them up and oiled the rails on the inside and they move like a hot knife through butter now. The gear assembly had major gunk inside which was all cleaned up and oiled and lubed. There was some anthill/magotty looking peeps who had made residence inside on one or two spots. They evicted easily and the chassis from the inside doesn't have any marks or traces of them. The platter has some deposits very firmly sitting on the sides but it should shine. Gave the platter a bit of a shine but it's hard work to do a little at a time, so will do it again soon. The earth wire is taped midway and i need to solder it directly to the pcb so there isn't a joint in between. Three of the tt feet are original and one is bought later (doesn't have a spring inside) but the plinth is leveled. There's a new dust cover but its custom made and doesn't have hinges so cannot attach it. Maybe will try and get one in time.

The tonearm works alright so haven't felt the need to go inside there. Though I am going to end up dismantling it and having a peak inside very soon.

I had a spare ortofon 10 cart that I have attached. Bass is heavier than my other systems (something I am enjoying because it is new to me) but when I change to a Nagaoka mp 110, it's less bassy and highs are better and the sounds seems more suited to my ears.

My other 2 turntables are belt and idler drive. Such a joy to have the arm return on it's own and not worry that the LP is ending anytime soon. Very happy with the purchase. Attaching a few photos.

Attachments

• IMG-20200320-WA0021.jpg
    IMG-20200320-WA0021.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG-20200320-WA0027.jpg
    IMG-20200320-WA0027.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200320_191159.jpg
    20200320_191159.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-20200320-WA0025.jpg
    IMG-20200320-WA0025.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG-20200320-WA0024.jpg
    IMG-20200320-WA0024.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG-20200320-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20200320-WA0022.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 58
happy to be an official member of this club!

here is my TT:

I received a query over the weekend which was interesting but thought I'll share my opinion

Q-> I have been happily using the SL1200 MK2, will a change to the new MK7 or upgrade to 1500C be advisable?

My opinion is, over the history of turntables, many believe that the pinnacle (from a technology perspective) was reached by the first half of the 1970s for idler, belt and direct drives. Many turntables that came as upgrades after this period were essentially either leveraging this old technology with some improvements or changes, ripping off this old technology or simply with lofty sales gimmicks and claims. As a result, many of the TTs in the main stream that came after the mid 1970s simply disappeared, with the exception of the SL1200 Mk2. When Technics realized that their original design was being adopted by DJs, they worked on it and by the time the MK2 came out, absolutely everything that a DJ needed was incorporated. Now, a hi-fi guy would laugh this off but essentially the characteristics which a DJ needs are useful for hi-fi listening as well (with probably the exception of varying the pitch as we would not need to beat-match). The 1200/1210 MK2 in my opinion is the highest point in this particular product line and even though they went as far as MK6, before the MK7, folks still stuck with the Mk2. Technics has re-developed the technology behind the 1200Mk7 and claims it is better but many are opting for it for reaping the benefits of owning a brand new and perfectly functional (factory spec) turntable. If you have an old beatup 1200mk2 with issues, it may be worthwhile to go in for a new MK7 but if your MK2 is in top running condition, perhaps it would be better to stick with it for the now (unless you really must have that new gizmo :) ). From a value perspective, the MK2 being the legend that it is, after a while is likely to be sort after :). After all these years, a Garrard 301 user, a Linn LP12 user and a Technics SP10 mk2 user usually commands highest regard and respect across the Idler, Belt and Direct Drive segments, as these were considered the pinnacle of these product lines. The SL1200Mk2, thought not perhaps in the same league, commands the same amount of respect but more universal love perhaps :)

Note: I would suggest that reading the book - DJ for Dummies will bring turntable users of both domains (DJ and HiFi), closer :)

Last edited:
I received a query over the weekend which was interesting but thought I'll share my opinion

Q-> I have been happily using the SL1200 MK2, will a change to the new MK7 or upgrade to 1500C be advisable?

My opinion is, over the history of turntables, many believe that the pinnacle (from a technology perspective) was reached by the first half of the 1970s for idler, belt and direct drives. Many turntables that came as upgrades after this period were essentially either leveraging this old technology with some improvements or changes, ripping off this old technology or simply with lofty sales gimmicks and claims. As a result, many of the TTs in the main stream that came after the mid 1970s simply disappeared, with the exception of the SL1200 Mk2. When Technics realized that their original design was being adopted by DJs, they worked on it and by the time the MK2 came out, absolutely everything that a DJ needed was incorporated. Now, a hi-fi guy would laugh this off but essentially the characteristics which a DJ needs are useful for hi-fi listening as well (with probably the exception of varying the pitch as we would not need to beat-match). The 1200/1210 MK2 in my opinion is the highest point in this particular product line and even though they went as far as MK6, before the MK7, folks still stuck with the Mk2. Technics has re-developed the technology behind the 1200Mk7 and claims it is better but many are opting for it for reaping the benefits of owning a brand new and perfectly functional (factory spec) turntable. If you have an old beatup 1200mk2 with issues, it may be worthwhile to go in for a new MK7 but if your MK2 is in top running condition, perhaps it would be better to stick with it for the now (unless you really must have that new gizmo :) ). From a value perspective, the MK2 being the legend that it is, after a while is likely to be sort after :). After all these years, a Garrard 301 user, a Linn LP12 user and a Technics SP10 mk2 user usually commands highest regard and respect across the Idler, Belt and Direct Drive segments, as these were considered the pinnacle of these product lines. The SL1200Mk2, thought not perhaps in the same league, commands the same amount of respect but more universal love perhaps :)

Note: I would suggest that reading the book - DJ for Dummies will bring turntable users of both domains (DJ and HiFi), closer :)

Hi Reuben,

Nicely put. Sound advice.

Regards

My Technics 1200 MK II face plate does not look good because it's old and that's how I bought it. I got it modded by the previous owner and that too at a throwaway price from an old music shop, a blessing with Jelco tonearm, later rewired with cardas tonearm wire by a renowned Kolkata technician. It runs superb, dead silent even on tube chain. Speed is accurate and even I thoroughly checked anti tracking dial manually and that indicates a perfect performance too. I just love it.

Recently urged to try a VPI TT at a Kolkata dealer. However I dropped the idea and fell in love one again with my Technics 1200 MK II. It's deadly with Shure V15type III & JICO. New Technics 1200 MK VII is definitely in wishlist.

Back