Technics Turntable Owners Club

I've been watching this thread with religious attention.
Can the FMs guide me about availability of Technics tables in India. New, through proper channel with warranty.
I'm totally incapable of DiY, and won't be able to manage any vintage.
Possible model is SL1210GR/ SL1200GR.

I've been watching this thread with religious attention.
Can the FMs guide me about availability of Technics tables in India. New, through proper channel with warranty.
I'm totally incapable of DiY, and won't be able to manage any vintage.
Possible model is SL1210GR/ SL1200GR.

Haha
Been tracking this. It's the MK7. Sold out.
I want my 'forever' table, atleast the GR. I have a few carts and phono stage. GR would suit me well.
Guess, waiting is the only way.
Meanwhile, RicherSounds is offering £100 offer on the GR.. :)
I've occasionally thought of alternatives like Mofi/ Pro-ject/ Clearaudio/Rega in the 1L to 2L bracket. But I know such thoughts are sacrilege here :cool:

Last edited:
Ahah! Someone say 1200....

They say the Jelco 350s 9” arm pairs well with the 1200. Even just a DL103 and a good Phono stage will do wonders.
Jelco tonearms are really good and sound great. Its a good mod actually and should be pursued by the serious SL1210 user. I have done some experiments with trying to leverage the SL1210 as a motor mounted in a wood plinth with tonearms like SME, Ortofon, Jelco, Grace and Shure. The results were great. Honestly speaking, I did not find any difference with between the SL1210 and the broadcast decks like Technics SP25 and SP15, with the same tonearms. The 1210's stock arm is not bad actually and has a specific user demography. For critical audiophile listening, one definitely has to upgrade to SME. Although the SL1210's tonearm tracks almost all types of records, the SME's sound signature is something else :)
Edit: I used only 9 inch tonearms for these experiments as I did not have my 3012s at the time. The version of 1200 that I have is the 1210Mk2. All my cartridges are from Shure

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
i own a Technics SL10, its working well.
i want to change the capacitors in signal path and possibly try any worthy customization ? if any.
anyone here with experience ?

Any one using the new SL 1200GR ? Would be nice to hear your experience in terms of your journey and comparison with others in the same price category ?

Did you do anything to the stock model to make it any better ?

I just took in my delivery of Technics 1210GAE Limited edition #803.

I am relatively new to vinyl, but have taken a headlong dive into the deep end with this table.
It comes with a custom made cart, footers, clamp everything, so perfect for a beginner.

I am in love with this table, but given I know next to nothing about TT setup would love some help in dialing this TT in.

I set it up as per dealer instructions of cart weight, and it's playing wonderfully and I have no complaints, but want to be sure I am extracting all that is available from this lovely TT.

I am relatively new to vinyl, but have taken a headlong dive into the deep end with this table.
It comes with a custom made cart, footers, clamp everything, so perfect for a beginner.

I am in love with this table, but given I know next to nothing about TT setup would love some help in dialing this TT in.

I set it up as per dealer instructions of cart weight, and it's playing wonderfully and I have no complaints, but want to be sure I am extracting all that is available from this lovely TT.
Congratulations on your purchase!!

Any suggestions as to what is the first thing I should be looking at?

Technics SL1200 (any model) is the perfect start for a beginner. You cant really go any higher. Even if you do, you will miss your Technics deck. I have been like the turntable version of Captain Cook, sailing the oceans in search of new lands and new riches. Only to come back home and realize that the Technics turntables that I have, are that damn good after all :). They are like Nakamichi Cassette Decks. However high you go and whatever turntable or cassette deck you use, the Technics turntable and Nakamichi cassette deck experience lasts a life time :)

Technics SL1200 (any model) is the perfect start for a beginner. You cant really go any higher. Even if you do, you will miss your Technics deck. I have been like the turntable version of Captain Cook, sailing the oceans in search of new lands and new riches. Only to come back home and realize that the Technics turntables that I have, are that damn good after all :). They are like Nakamichi Cassette Decks. However high you go and whatever turntable or cassette deck you use, the Technics turntable and Nakamichi cassette deck experience lasts a life time :)
@reubensm : Given every other component in the chain is the same (tonearm , cart , phono , pre , power , cables and speakers ) , what is it about the 1200 series decks that makes them special ?

@reubensm : Given every other component in the chain is the same (tonearm , cart , phono , pre , power , cables and speakers ) , what is it about the 1200 series decks that makes them special ?
:) good question, as the old saying goes - History is who we are and why we are the way we are.
Its very simple, the Technics SL1200 not only brings together most of the different individual elements (if not all) that are required for a good turntable but also transcends many other turntables by scoring high for each of these individual elements as well.

Last edited:
:) good question, as the old saying goes - History is who we are and why we are the way we are.
Its very simple, the Technics SL1200 not only brings together most of the different individual elements (if not all) that are required for a good turntable but also transcends many other turntables by scoring high for each of these individual elements as well.
I understand that and appreciate the rich legacy of Technics , but in a blind test would one be able to identify a 1200 series from among modern day TTs from the likes of Rega or Project - provided everything else in the chain is the same ,I wonder …

I understand that and appreciate the rich legacy of Technics , but in a blind test would one be able to identify a 1200 series from among modern day TTs from the likes of Rega or Project - provided everything else in the chain is the same ,I wonder …
It's a thing that I often wonder about. Not in a Technics vs others dogma. But because I am planning to upgrade my table in near future and I am wondering about choices. Often people complain about Rega or Mofi's QC. I didn't like the Pro-ject £500 tables one bit. In the £900 to £1500 range, Technics seems to be a safe bet. But should I be losing out on SQ if I ignore others?

A little disclaimer though, the USP of a Technics SL1200 has never been audiophile grade sound quality. In cricketing terms, its like Ben Stokes. The name is never mentioned in the league of great batsmen or great bowlers but is the real all round match winner :)

The ideal Technics user has the following key hygiene factors:

1) one time investment, get something with a solid reputation and lifelong trouble-free performance
2) has a variety of records, from very ordinary condition to Ex, especially if you have instrumental records and enjoy classical music
3) wants something simple to set up, just put it together, place it on a flat surface, connect it up and enjoy
4) has a regular component chain, nothing exotic
5) is not too bothered about listening to a clarinet playing in the 5th row of RD Burman's orchestra or Lata trying to silently catch her breath in between lines :) but wants to enjoy the overall experience
6) if ever it blows up, everything in it should be fixable and spares should be available
7) wants bragging rights without torn pockets and own perhaps the most significant turntable in audio history
8) if ever the upgrade bug bites, good return on investment or a good candidate for a second TT

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back