Technics Turntable Owners Club

I recently plunged head down into the grooves. Took a SL-1200MK4, rarely available and sold only in Japan. Its a 100V unit and meant for audiophile followers of SL-1200MK2. Now I realise what I missed so far when playing CD, SACD, Blu-Ray Audio - the realisation of being closest to the performance. For this I had to come a full circle. I missed the generation which developed this but I don't want to miss this time, the rebirth of true Hi-Fi. Lucky to be in the "Back to Black" era.
What cartridge is that?
And where did you buy the turntable from?

Hi FMs

Recently acquired a SL - 220.

It's a beltdrive with servo speed controls.

To me the tonearm looks a lot like legendary SL 1200 but Would need you expert inputs.

Due to a up rise in Technics TT demands, had to pay way to much.

Please throw some light.

Hi FMs

Recently acquired a SL - 220.

It's a beltdrive with servo speed controls.

To me the tonearm looks a lot like legendary SL 1200 but Would need you expert inputs.

Due to a up rise in Technics TT demands, had to pay way to much.

Please throw some light.

Surprised you had to pay "way too much". Technics Direct Drives are usually expensive but not the belt drives. The tonearm is the standard Technics S-shaped stock tonearm.

I missed an opportunity to buy SL1200 from a fellow FM. I recently got a Technics SL2000 turntable which has severe grounding issue. Loud humming noise through the speakers. There is no difference if the ground wire is connected or not. The noise reduces significantly when I touch tonearm. Suspecting the ground wire is broken.

It would be really appreciated if any FM from Bangalore could help in resolving the same as I need assistance (won't be able to open and repair myself).

I missed an opportunity to buy SL1200 from a fellow FM. I recently got a Technics SL2000 turntable which has severe grounding issue. Loud humming noise through the speakers. There is no difference if the ground wire is connected or not. The noise reduces significantly when I touch tonearm. Suspecting the ground wire is broken.

It would be really appreciated if any FM from Bangalore could help in resolving the same as I need assistance (won't be able to open and repair myself).

This is an easy fix, the tonearm wiring (circuit from the cart to the phono-input) needs to be checked.

I recently got a Technics SL2000 turntable which has severe grounding issue. Loud humming noise through the speakers. There is no difference if the ground wire is connected or not. The noise reduces significantly when I touch tonearm. Suspecting the ground wire is broken.

I am happy to help you.

The problem was with the ground LUG which has corroded and hence not making proper contact with the amp. Changing the LUG to a new one fixed the problem. Thanks all for the help.

So I bought this D33 some years ago for 200 AED and it has been lying in storage since then.....just last week I decided to get it back into playing mode....did a quick fix with a spare counterweight from another TT (30 Aed) and hooked it up with an old Stanton 500 Gold stylus (which a friend had given me years ago along with that spare counterweight) it had the original head shell...

happy to say I now own 1.. a Technics SL-D33....:yahoo: now to figure out how the "cueing" on this works....

Later: get the remote system (SH-R808) for added fun:licklips:

Attachments

• d331.jpg
    d331.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 160
  • D332.jpg
    D332.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 160
Hello everyone,

I just joined this club and a proud owner of a JP - SL 1200 MK5 TT that I purchased 2nd hand from Japan. Posting a few pics. I don't have a cart yet and I am hunting for the right setup. Will be posting in this forum to get help from experts in setting up my first rig.

Also, I am currently put in Bangalore and would love to meet fellow vinyl junkies if there are meetups or if anyone is interested *beers on me*

Here are few pics of my TT. Still need to go shopping for mixers, monitors, DVS

IMAG0272.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0277.jpg

Hello Friends,

Bought a Technics SP-25 from a friend who was kind enough to go through the trouble of building the plinth, sourcing a SME 3009 tonearm. Once we got down to doing things the tonearm rewiring was done as the older wires were fragile and the connectors were really hard to get on to the cartridge. Got the wires imported and also got the kit for modification imported for the tonearm, so it could take other RCA cables in place of the stock ones provided with the turntable.

The final part of drilling the plinth and adjusting the tonearm height was done again by adding a wooden base as the arm was at a slightly lower height before. Finally fitted it with a Grado Blue and hooked it up to the Phone Pre of my Vintage Marantz 2238 B and there we had her singing like a bird.:D:D

Pretty much happy with the results after a two month long wait to get the SP-25 up and running. Made use of these two months by looking out and buying LPs of old Hindi movies, about 150 in numbers, as i was not happy listening to old hindi songs through CDs and digital media, most digital recordings are too shrill and bright.

This is my first plunge into Vinyl and enjoying spinning the records and listening to music the old school way. I have a lot of questions on how to get the best out of this TT which i will save for the later posts. I am sure inputs from other experienced members of this elite club will help me make this beauty sound better.

Cheers.:yahoo::yahoo:

The SP25 is a fantastic deck and highly under-rated. If used with the right configuration of plinth, tonearm and cartridge, it is capable of beating the best out there. People often compare it to the SP10 and SP15 and call it the junior cousin. However it is very much up there with the best. The ability to combine it with a custom plinth and a great tonearm allows it to easily surpass regular mass market turntables like the SL1200. I have owned 2 of these in the past and the experience was great. I parted with both of them as I moved to SP10.

The SME 3009 tonearm is also a legendary one, famously used with Turntable Royalty, especially the Big Garrards. It would be a splendid combination with your SP25 deck. Which version of the SME 3009 are you going to use?

On another note, the design of the SP25 is futuristic and very sleek. Looks great, especially when a record is spinning :)

Last edited:
Yes the turntable does look sleep and futuristic and the one i got is a 220 volt model. It has black matte paint on it which i guess was done by the previous owner. The speed is spot on and it runs good and smooth.

The tone arm i guess is a SME 3009 improved version with a fixed head-shell is what i gather from a little research. It is a light tonearm and delicate and still getting used to handling it.

Will upload a few pictures soon.

Cheers.

Last edited:
The SME 3009 Series II Improved, with fixed headshell is the very same version which I am using, yes very delicate and light but one of the very best!!

SP25 220volts models are unheard off. I researched these over 2 years and never found a single one with OEM 220volts trannys. I came across one that was modded but let it pass. The 2 decks that I owned where from Canada and Australia. Even the Australian one was a 110 volts model and both were purchased from broadcast stations.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back