Technics Turntable Owners Club

Beautiful setup. Actually the tranny mod, if that's the case, is a great idea and will work very well, if not better than the original. Out of curiosity, any specific reason why the headshell cartridge screws are bolted up-side-down?

Last edited:
The reason for having the screws of head-shell screws bolted upside down is not having nimble enough fingers. We tried to get the screws in the correct position but could not get a hold of the bolts as the access below the head-shell was really difficult and the bolts kept falling to our immense frustration:mad:. We probably did not have the right tool to do the job.

So hence the easy way was to bolt them upside down. Also went to the local bicycle repair guy and got a bicycle Tyre tube piece and that was cut to the right size and has been added for damping or whatever you call it between the cartridge and the head-shell and gives a nice snug fit.

Any pointers on how to fit the screws the right way? :sos: Dont know if fitting the upside down has any effect on sound quality.

Thanks.

Dont know if fitting the upside down has any effect on sound quality.

Thanks.

ofcourse it does harry...its equivalent to the same effect as silly questions have.

if u used brass screws, it would sound brassy and then is u used SS screws.. it gives a Steely Dan edge ;)

running such a nice TT and u dont know ?? :eek:

especially with think fingers... them screws hate thick fingers :annoyed:

Its very simple, while working with 1/2 inch mount headshells, always keep a pointed end tweezer handy. This will help you handle the tiny nuts easily.

Insulated-Tweezer-120mm-Pro-sKit-1PK-101T.jpg

Thanks for the info about the voltage about the SP-25 as i was not aware of it and mine probably is a modded one.But it runs fine as far as i can tell.

Here are some pictures of the turntable.

IMG_4361_zpskirvtaet.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_4359_zpsbwtufaxq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_4356_zpstmxaqm70.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cheers.

Here's a short video of my second SP25 playing Frank Sinatra's "South of the Border", mounted on its broadcast station console with a SEDCO broadcast phonostage. This rig is now owned by an esteemed forum member.

http://vid1283.photobucket.com/albums/a546/reubensm/WP_20150621_11_50_15_Pro_zpslesa834j.mp4

Last edited:
Got a perspex cover made for the SP-25 locally from Delhi. The vendor says he has used a 3mm thick imported perspex.The perspex cover is pretty heavy and sits steadily on the plinth and protects well from the Delhi dust.

Here is a picture of the perspex cover sitting tight over the plinth. Pretty happy with the job.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Got a perspex cover made for the SP-25 locally from Delhi. The vendor says he has used a 3mm thick imported perspex.The perspex cover is pretty heavy and sits steadily on the plinth and protects well from the Delhi dust.

Here is a picture of the perspex cover sitting tight over the plinth. Pretty happy with the job.

Cheers.

@harry1233456 congratulations. where in Delhi did you get this done? Dealer? Could you please share his contact details.

Hi RPM,

Had requested a senior gentleman friend of of mine who knew the owner of this factory. They use perspex to make some other equipment. As i was told they don't take up small odd jobs but the owner did it for this friend of mine as a one off job.

Mine was home delivered by my friend after we took the measurements and he got the work done on my behalf.

Will try to get you the address and details of the industrial unit where mine was made and you can try your luck there.

Cheers.

May get me hands on a pair of 1210s soon. They are battered decks and really need an overhaul. I've already got one 1200 and a 1210 but these beauties really fascinate me every time I see one or two I must say.

Like restoring these decks so may take up the task to really do it up. This time I intend to really pimp these decks up like crazy. Lets see how that goes. Will keep you posted.

Great going, always a pleasure to know that a turntable is being restored. That means, one more happy vinyl listener. The SL12s are the easiest to repair and restore as spares are widely available. Good luck with the restoration.

May get me hands on a pair of 1210s soon. They are battered decks and really need an overhaul. I've already got one 1200 and a 1210 but these beauties really fascinate me every time I see one or two I must say.

Like restoring these decks so may take up the task to really do it up. This time I intend to really pimp these decks up like crazy. Lets see how that goes. Will keep you posted.

Do post lots of pictures documenting the steps. I want to follow suit when I find the time and energy.

I often joke that the combination of the Shure M44-7 and the Technics S-shaped tonearm can play almost anything thrown at it, even a chapathi :)

Some time ago, I got a lot of records which included a few that were badly warped due to exposure to heat. I took the one that was warped the most and tried it out on my turntables. Interestingly where my well calibrated, marquee 50k a piece, SME 3009s failed miserably, the humble technics s-shaped tonearm on my equally humble SL3200, came to the fore.

Take a look at the video to see why, the combo of the Technics S-shaped tonearm and the Shure M44-7 (with stock N44-7 stylus) is the best for playing old records. Had this lying on my hard disk for some time now.

VTF and Antiskate are set at 2 grams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpOKexHDhcA&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Of course the M44-7 will be better at tracking warped records because it is a DJ cartridge. Not so sure about the SQ though.

I was underwhelmed by sound of Shure M97xE especially since it is so highly regarded by a lot of members. I feel there are better sounding cartridges for slightly more money which go well with the Technics

BTW, what amp and speakers are you using with the SL 3200?

Of course the M44-7 will be better at tracking warped records because it is a DJ cartridge. Not so sure about the SQ though.

I was underwhelmed by sound of Shure M97xE especially since it is so highly regarded by a lot of members. I feel there are better sounding cartridges for slightly more money which go well with the Technics

BTW, what amp and speakers are you using with the SL 3200?

This was shot sometime ago with a NAD 3020 driving BPL 700Ts. The 97xE is a very smooth sounding cart and some may not like it. And for the record, I tried the M44-7 with a SME 3009 Version II improved on my 301 and it hopped across to the end of the record.

Last edited:
Gents - Any latest ownership reviews or acquisitions? Ive been off the forum for a while but definitely not off my vinyl and 1200/1210. They truly are my everyday workhorses and I am very happy with them. Ive reached a point where I do not need any more upgrades. I am extremely content and happy with my setup. In fact Ive not even bought a single record in the last 1 year :)

Great to hear from you RP, I have my 2 SP 10s which are now in full service. Planning to scale down to one. I have realized that keeping these legends without being able to use them is quite an overkill. Like you, I too have literally stopped buying LPs. Have enough to listen to.

On another note, my personal opinion, the phono section of our forum seems to have lost its charm with many of the regulars, missing and some dropping by on a part-time basis. Its time we looked at a revival :)

Nice to hear from you too Reuben :)

I agree, the phono section has lost its charm. It used to be soo much fun earlier with regular interactions, ownership reviews, technical discussion etc. Indeed we look at a revival. Im up for this.

Cheers

Great to hear from you RP, I have my 2 SP 10s which are now in full service. Planning to scale down to one. I have realized that keeping these legends without being able to use them is quite an overkill. Like you, I too have literally stopped buying LPs. Have enough to listen to.

On another note, my personal opinion, the phono section of our forum seems to have lost its charm with many of the regulars, missing and some dropping by on a part-time basis. Its time we looked at a revival :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back