Technics Turntable Owners Club

Of course the M44-7 will be better at tracking warped records because it is a DJ cartridge. Not so sure about the SQ though.

I was underwhelmed by sound of Shure M97xE especially since it is so highly regarded by a lot of members. I feel there are better sounding cartridges for slightly more money which go well with the Technics

BTW, what amp and speakers are you using with the SL 3200?

SL3200 is currently in use with my brother, running through a NAD 3020A driving vintage Mcintosh speakers.

I've been using SL 1500 for 3 years now. Honestly speaking I'm enjoying it more and more with time. Especially since I upgraded my cartridge from an entry level Audio Technica (cn5625al) to Nagaoka MP-110. It's a real joy to listen to it. I really don't feel the need to upgrade my turntable :)

Though I'm thinking of buying a Shure M44-7, since Reuben and few others have had such good things to say about it. I'm guessing it'll have a very different personality as compared to the Nagaoka (from what's been said about the cart here at HFV)..but let me try :eek:hyeah:

I've been using SL 1500 for 3 years now. Honestly speaking I'm enjoying it more and more with time. Especially since I upgraded my cartridge from an entry level Audio Technica (cn5625al) to Nagaoka MP-110. It's a real joy to listen to it. I really don't feel the need to upgrade my turntable :)

Though I'm thinking of buying a Shure M44-7, since Reuben and few others have had such good things to say about it. I'm guessing it'll have a very different personality as compared to the Nagaoka (from what's been said about the cart here at HFV)..but let me try :eek:hyeah:

Great to see you back here mate. Happy to know that your very content with your setup and clearly enjoying the music :)

Both my 1200 & 1210 use the m447 and I am very happy with them. Give it a shot as it also pairs well with Technics.

Cheers...

It is again depends personal taste. According to me M44-7 is well with Rock and Metal music. For Indian Film music, Vocal, Jazz I am not happy with M44-7.

At the moment I am using Technics 270C with Jico stylus and also having Shure M-70EJ with Jico stylus. The 270C is better than Shure in all aspects like detail, refinement, separation, image etc.. etc. But I like to play heavy beats songs with my Shure M-70. That is the success of Shure.

I am using Shure m 44-7 (with original stylus ) with my Technics SL 1100A ( Domestic version of SP10). It is a very good cartridge. Perfect for RD Burman, Ilayaraja type of music.
Regards,
Shafic

MP-110 to an M44-7 would be downward move.

I'm not planning to throw away the MP-110 if I buy the M44-7. :) I just want to see how all the rock/metal/jazz would sound with the M44-7 (since I listen to these genres a lot!..and I've heard positive reviews for these genres with M44-7). However MP-110 would still be my main cart :)

Any idea, how are the Technics 206c and 207c carts? I am getting them at Rs. 1,500 each without stylus.

Technics EPC-207C is a good cartridge. It is worth to consider equal to today's 100$ Cartridges. Sound is more or less similar to Nagaoka MP-110, smooth detailed. Good for Indian music.

Jico stylus for 207C is 66$ including shipping. For the body Rs.1500 is may be little high. Rs.750 is ok.

Last edited:
Thanks to a forum member for selling me his Technics SL1200 Mk3 turntable in good condition.
I wasn't expecting any change in sound compared to my Pro-ject Debut III+SpeedBox. It was just the convenience of swapping cartridges that made me buy this table. As expected there is no big difference in the tonality, which is driven more by the cartridge+phono preamp combination, but I see a significant reduction in the inner grove distortion. Though I spent a lot more effort aligning the cartridge on Debut III, the distortion is virtually absent on the SL1200 out of the box. I just quickly aligned the cartridges using the Technics 5.2mm gauge. A heavier tonearm seems to help.

I am using the tables with the following items:

Cartridges
  • Ortofon Super OM 40
  • NAGAOKA MP-110H
  • DENON DL-102 Monaural Moving Coil - On Order

Phono Preamps

• NAD PP2
  • Little Bear Tube Phono V2.2
  • YAQIN MS23B - 12AX7

I paid a lot of money for the SL1200, but it seems worth the money & effort. Thanks to the seller for doing a great job of packing and shipping the table to me.

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

T
Cartridges
  • Ortofon Super OM 40
  • NAGAOKA MP-110H
  • DENON DL-102 Monaural Moving Coil - On Order

Sharad, the Super OM40 with its Fritz Gyger 70 stylus is supposed to be one hell of a cartridge! Some claim it is better than the cartridge that replaced it.

Sharad, the Super OM40 with its Fritz Gyger 70 stylus is supposed to be one hell of a cartridge! Some claim it is better than the cartridge that replaced it.

The OM40 is very detailed, but still soft and refined. It handles and presents the sound in a very delicate manner. It is great for well recorded Jazz. You can feel the brush hitting the drum on soft Jazz. The cymbals are pleasing and not harsh. Plucked strings of the acoustic instruments are reproduced with great realism. While the Nagaoka is warm and upfront with voices. It has less details, air and top end extension. It works better than OM40 for the regular harsh stuff where the voices are not as prominent as I would like them to be, and need to be tamed on the top end.

regards,
Sharad Medhavi

I guess my membership to the Technics Owners club has expired as i managed to find the SL-1210 a new home.

Am looking for a turntable , headshell and cart now.

Need not be on the pricier side but something that floats my boat.

If my next TT is a Technics - i will re-apply :)

regards

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back