The 2013 Plasma Discussion Thread!

I called in JD Electronics, Chennai to have a demo of Samsung PS51E8000, Pan UT50 and ST50. But the guy told there isn't any sammy or panny plasmas in stock except for E550D and XT50. And same goes for HX750 LED.

He told like newer plasma models from Panasonic, Samsung and LED from sony are arriving by April end.

When I told him that I thought of sealing a good deal by buying the old stock for low price, he replied, "all the old stock were cleared by Jan itself. So there isn't any use for you to come to the shop for demo. better wait and buy". :(

according to panny service manager the VT60, GT60 and ST60 series will be avaiable in May first week, pricing 5-10 k more than the last year

I called in JD Electronics, Chennai to have a demo of Samsung PS51E8000, Pan UT50 and ST50. But the guy told there isn't any sammy or panny plasmas in stock except for E550D and XT50. And same goes for HX750 LED.

He told like newer plasma models from Panasonic, Samsung and LED from sony are arriving by April end.

When I told him that I thought of sealing a good deal by buying the old stock for low price, he replied, "all the old stock were cleared by Jan itself. So there isn't any use for you to come to the shop for demo. better wait and buy". :(
I agree, I went to Panasonic Brandshop in Alwarpet and those guys werent even aware of the new models. They were trying to sell off the XT models. Hope that the new brands come over soon... Would you be interested for a GB? I tried last year for ST series and wasnt successful.. :(

I agree, I went to Panasonic Brandshop in Alwarpet and those guys werent even aware of the new models. They were trying to sell off the XT models. Hope that the new brands come over soon... Would you be interested for a GB? I tried last year for ST series and wasnt successful.. :(
I told you and other not to wait for a group buy, price drop, festival discounts, etc. I myself did that for 2 years and did not win. When I had the opportunity, I took the plunge. I think that I paid at least 5K too much, maybe more. But I got a TV + BDP for 105K and I am not really complaining. 2013 may see the end of plasma ... see this articles:
1. Top 7 products that should still exist | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews)
2. How long will Panasonic keep making plasma TVs? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews
... If picture quality is important to you, my suggestion is this: Buy a quality plasma TV while you still can. A good model will offer the best bang for buck you may see for many years.

A report on CNET (I forget the link) says that there is remarkable similarity between Pioneer Kuro and Panasonic ZT60. The ZT60 is supposed to become the new reference class. But that is all where the good news ends. Pioneer exited the plasma market 5 years ago and 5 years down the line the Kuro is still the reference that no one has been able to beat. More or less the ZT60 may meet the same fate.

Is the Panny XT model that bad?
XT50 is a good model but priced more than the equivalent Samsung models.

Ken Ross compares the 2013 Samsung F8500 plasma with the Pioneer kuro and the sharp elite LED LCD and here are his thoughts(he owns all three of them).

Color- I think observed color is pretty much a draw, even though it's measurably better on the 8500. Here I'm using more of my experience with my Pro 151 Kuro, when I had it and the Elite at the same time, since I haven't seen the Elite & 8500 side by side. I suspect in rare situations, if you knew what to look for (hello low luminance cyan?), the color might appear more accurate on the 8500- Slight advantage to the 8500.

Black levels-To the naked eye this is also probably a draw in the vast majority of situations, though I haven't seen them both side by side in totally dark environment. The MLL is measurably better on the Elite, but still exceptionally good on the 8500. There might be some rare situations, in a totally dark room with very very dark material where the Elite may have a slight edge- Slight advantage to the Elite.

Sharpness- Also very close based on what I've seen. The 8500 is the first plasma I've seen that has that 'precise' look (for a lack of a better word) not unlike an LED. This one's a draw.

Brightness- For all practical purposes, in a well lit room, this is also really close, but measurably better on the Elite. However, ABL is non-existent on the Elite but not as aggressive as typical plasmas on the 8500. But you will still see occasional instances of the ABL kicking in, it just won't be as frequent or as severe as in other plasmas. Slight advantage Elite.

Motion- I know the knee jerk response here is that plasma is always better. Perhaps I'm not as sensitive to motion issues as some, but I always thought the motion handling on the Elite was excellent. Likewise, I found the motion handling on the 8500 just as good. This one's a draw.

Viewing angle- This one is clear cut, no close calls. Distinct advantage to the 8500.

Carefree viewing- How's that one for a category? Without any concern for IR, burn-in, station logos, tickers etc., the Elite shows the LED advantage. This is not to say that the IR issue can't be managed, it can. Nonetheless, Advantage Elite.

Overall PQ- I know this sounds like a cop out, but I think each one has its virtues. But if there was a gun to my head, based on such an advantage in viewing angle and other performance areas being so close, I suspect the 8500 would appeal to more people.

For me? PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!!!

Source:http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463454/o...es-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/870

I told you and other not to wait for a group buy, price drop, festival discounts, etc. I myself did that for 2 years and did not win. When I had the opportunity, I took the plunge. I think that I paid at least 5K too much, maybe more. But I got a TV + BDP for 105K and I am not really complaining. 2013 may see the end of plasma ...

I completely agree with just4kix on this.
I have planned to upgrade my 29 inch CRT to Plasma in 2012. Have been reading and following all the threads. Waited for festive offeres, discounts, exchange offers etc. But unfortunately it didn't work out. The mid 2012 passed and everyone was saying 2013 plasmas are lined up for release and why to buy 2012 models?

So I am reading and chasing the 2013 models hoping I could buy one this year...

Thanks,
Sunil

If ST60 is released in India this year, my advise to all is grab it ASAP. I think that the initial price (after negotiations) of 42ST60 will be 85K and 50ST60 will be 108K. We will not see VT60 for a long time and it will be in 65". The ZT60 will not make it to India. Below ST60 there is no equivalent of today's UT50. And then there is X60.

Even if Panasonic exits the plasma market in 2014, the plasma is still a worth buy. I do not see owners of Pioneer Kuro lamenting; in fact they must be gloating.

Dunno how Group Buy works. But if I can get the TV at a lesser price, then I'm interested.

Dunno how Group Buy works. But if I can get the TV at a lesser price, then I'm interested.
Group buy is when a group of people - at least those many that entices the dealer to give you large discount - decide to come together and buy a product. My guess is that 4-5 persons are good enough. Problem is getting everybody onboard at the same time. Mr. Laxman was trying this very hard and earnest floating request to come together for a group buy - not just with Chennai people but also Bangaloreans. Somehow, it did not materialize.

Group buy is when a group of people - at least those many that entices the dealer to give you large discount - decide to come together and buy a product. My guess is that 4-5 persons are good enough. Problem is getting everybody onboard at the same time. Mr. Laxman was trying this very hard and earnest floating request to come together for a group buy - not just with Chennai people but also Bangaloreans. Somehow, it did not materialize.

To buy the same product or different models is also OK?

If ST60 is released in India this year, my advise to all is grab it ASAP. I think that the initial price (after negotiations) of 42ST60 will be 85K and 50ST60 will be 108K. We will not see VT60 for a long time and it will be in 65". The ZT60 will not make it to India. Below ST60 there is no equivalent of today's UT50. And then there is X60.

Even if Panasonic exits the plasma market in 2014, the plasma is still a worth buy. I do not see owners of Pioneer Kuro lamenting; in fact they must be gloating.

I have decided again on Plasma (hope you remember me saying 'need as much brightness that my eyes can take') as my main and most probably only usage will be in dark room and for movies alone connected with a PC. My budget is a max of 90K. What would you suggest me? Search for PS51E8000 (around 90K) or buy the available 50UT50 for (less than 80K) or wait and buy the seriously lesser sized 42ST60 for 85K.

This video was one of the reason for me to change my opinion on Plasma - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPC3zZysFMY. When everyone told Plasma is indeed less bright than LED, I thought the difference b/w LED and Plasma I saw at the stores were the final result. But I didn't know, once the lights were switched off the Plasma will GLOW and reproduce perfect picture.

Last edited:
as stated by just4kix the panny guy has also confirmed that there will be very few numbers of plasma imported this year just like 2012, reason very few plasma lovers in india

I agree with Shaiju. Panasonic is wrong in its strategy in India. They have literally given their market share to Samsung. And to Samsung's credit, they have grabbed the offer with open arms.

It is stupid to think that Indians cannot shell out money to buy a large TV (50 inch plus) or an expensive TV (1 lac plus).

Luckily, the Koreans think differently.

We all will come to know in a month's time on which manufacturer is bringing in which of their flagship models.

All the best to all of us!

I agree with Shaiju. Panasonic is wrong in its strategy in India. They have literally given their market share to Samsung. And to Samsung's credit, they have grabbed the offer with open arms.

It is stupid to think that Indians cannot shell out money to buy a large TV (50 inch plus) or an expensive TV (1 lac plus).

Luckily, the Koreans think differently.

We all will come to know in a month's time on which manufacturer is bringing in which of their flagship models.

All the best to all of us!

i dont completely agree with you on this flat panel tv is still a luxury in india just like clean drinking water

i dont completely agree with you on this flat panel tv is still a luxury in india just like clean drinking water

Even housing is a luxury in metros. So people don't buy houses?

Flats selling for 7.5 crores only get sold out in months. There is a market for everything.

Let's keep to the thread.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back