The 2013 Plasma Discussion Thread!

Hi,

Some sales folks are not looking at the specifications.
F4100 is not 720p

43F4900 and 51F4900 are 720p plasmas ( 1024 x 768 resoultion)

Thanks,
Sunil
Yes the guy at croma did mention that F4100 is less than 720p,so can you suggest any other model in plasma 40/42/43 inches size, for HD viewing, also according to the salesman all these newer sammys are of one lac viewing hours of life than the older versions which had 60000 hours of average life.

Thanks.

Yes the guy at croma did mention that F4100 is less than 720p,so can you suggest any other model in plasma 40/42/43 inches size, for HD viewing, also according to the salesman all these newer sammys are of one lac viewing hours of life than the older versions which had 60000 hours of average life.

Thanks.

The 2013 plasma model currently in store are from Samsung.
43F4900 ( 720p)
43F4100 ( lower resolution )

I feel it is worth spending 8K more for F4900 than F4100.

Panasonic models are not yet available in India.
But you can still check 2012 42X50, 42XT50 series ( Both are 720p plasmas)

Few FMs have already bought the 2013 samsung model ( 43F4900 ) for around 42K.
They should be able to give you feedback on this particular model.
Please look for the thread under "Television".

Thanks,
Sunil

Indian prices are normally more than 1.5 times. Considering that they have priced F8500, $2000 in US, in India it is safely can be assumed around 1.75 to max 2 lacs as MRP. Expect a 5-10% discount making it 1.6 to 1.8 lacs dealers price.

If we factor the 3 year panel warranty from Panny, it would seem a no-trainer to get it over a Sammy budget model. So why buy F4900?

HOW is panasonic TH-P50XT50D which is being offered at 65000/- in croma, with a philips hometheatre system, without HT system at 60000/-. am thinking of getting one??//

thanks.

Another review of the F8500.

http://www.tweaktv.com/in-dspth-hdt...-review-of-samsungs-new-pn60f8500-plasma.html

pictures of the 65" VT50 and 60" F8000, both perfectly calibrated

black level measured a very impressive .001 fL with the new Black Optimizer feature set to the Dark Room setting

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=217207

Looks like Plasma's from Panasonic and Samsung will set 2013 reference pic quality again.

Am sorry to ask, the left one is panny and the right one is sammy is it?
The reddishness appearing on face of Bond on the left one is intensional in the film or added by the panel?
Thanks.

Re: The 2013 Plasma Discussion Thread! [Updated with Information]

It was rated as the best plasma in PQ among its peer plasma brands in a group test by whathifi.com.
A 720p champion.

The reddishness appearing on face of Bond on the left one is intensional in the film or added by the panel?
Thanks.

It is not intentional, it is just both the panels treat tones a bit differently and both are not 100% accurate, in fact no panels are 100% accurate.

Also VT50 is 65 inches and F8500 is 60" so if you see in the pic F8500 is bit sharper, this also could be because Samsung has increased the size of sub pixels on this years plasma so the gap between each pixels is even more less,i guess that is why the brick lines behind bond looks much sharper on 8500.

Here is what Ken Ross thinks of the ZT60 , which is the direct competitor for F8500 this year.

I thought it might be interesting to give my observations of the ZT60 that I saw tonight at the Engadget show (thanks Robert & Wendy for the invite, MUCH appreciated!). I apologize if some feel this is inappropriate in this thread, but I know there must be others besides me that are looking at both the 8500 & ZT60 for their next display. So here's what I saw and I disagree on a few points with digitaltrends:

From what they showed, unlike digitaltrends, there's no way I could say definitively 'best TV ever'. Not in that setting. It may be true, but then again it may not be.The only comparison was to a Pioneer Kuro that sat alongside the ZT. Would have been nice to have an F8500, the real competition today to the ZT60.

Black Levels-Although the speaker said the black levels matched the Kuro, it was very clear to me the black levels were still a bit better on the Kuro. No question. Robert agreed. But the Kuro's blacks had the common Kuro 'red tinged blacks' whereas the ZT was neutral. My Kuro also had a bit of a red tinge with its blacks. Don't get me wrong, there wasn't a big difference, but I thought it was pretty funny that he said the blacks measured the same and yet it was clear the Kuro blacks were better and showed, I thought, quite clearly on fades to black as well as a couple of other scenes. I spoke to a couple of other people and everyone agreed. I even thought my Elite had better black levels than anything I saw here. Again, the ZT60's black levels were excellent, they just didn't appear quite as dark as the Kuro's.

Shadow Detail-Where the ZT60 was clearly better was in shadow detail. The ZT extracted detail in shadows that were essentially invisible on the Kuro. Very nice.

Color-So here's another point and it's all too common in these manufacturer A/Bs (and why Robert's shootouts are SOOO much better!). I thought my Pro 151 looked better than the Kuro they had in this comparison. The colors on the ZT60 looked very saturated by comparison to the Kuro. But why did it seem the Kuro's colors were somewhat DEsaturated. Never saw that on mine. Hmm. Saturation and colors on the pale side were never a characteristic of my ISF'd Pro 151. I don't think this aspect of the A/B was accurate, at least not IMO. I think the press, depending on what they want to see, can be fooled more easily than some of us.

What was impressive were the reds compared to the Kuro and the prior gen Panasonics. They were probably the best reds I've seen. But even there, without seeing other displays next to it like the 8500, there's no way I could say definitively 'best reds ever in video'. They were 'redder' than the Kuro, but again, I'll bet the bank the Kuro was not properly adjusted. But my gut reaction were these were really excellent reds. Best ever? Maybe, but I wouldn't swear to it. The ZT60 can utilize the DCI color space. This broadens the color palette, but doesn't conform to Rec709. But it does look good. Colors are deeper and richer. They're just not accurate per Rec709. But if you had DCI type content, it could be utilized.

Motion Handling-The motion handling was excellent and obviously better than the Kuro. Their demo for this consisted of 'stitched' still pictures, rapidly panning across the screen. But, I could see they were playing 60p material, not 24p, at 38mps (a very high bitrate you don't see on broadcast). The material at 60p was not particularly demanding for motion and I asked if they had any 24p content like a Blu Ray, so we could see a more demanding test of motion handling. He said he had only the material on the hard drive. So the test tells us nothing about how it will handle 24p motion. I can see it handles 60p better than a 4 year old Kuro, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything relative to 24p, let alone more modern displays.

Brightness- I asked how it compared in brightness to the previous generation of Panasonics since that's been a key advertising point. He didn't know the answer. I thought that was a bit odd. Demoing the premiere display in your line, that advertises greater brightness than any previous Panny model, yet we have no idea how much brighter? There was certainly nothing in the A/B that indicated anything about its brightness capabilities. The lights were turned on after the dark room demo to show that it can handle bright room light. The only problem was, there were only a couple of lights that resulted in an ambient lighting that was considerably dimmer than a typical Magnoloa.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but I approach A/Bs of this type, a bit skeptical. I certainly thought this was a beautiful display that was a real head turner. But is it better than an F8500? If so, how much better and in what areas? Is it even as good as an F8500? I can honestly say that none of these questions were answered for me. Maybe for digitaltrends, but not for me. I'll wait for Robert's shootout for a more accurate A/B. Or in the case of the shootout, an A/B/C/D/E/F/G...........

At any rate it's still certainly in contention for me along with the 8500. Nothing changed as the result of tonight...for me

OH no that maximum i can offord, any case will be hooking up with tatasky HD set top box, will this tv deliver me the best?

thanks.
I'm not sure whether this TV will deliver you the BEST. As I, myself am looking for a TV and found out that UT50 is an exceptional TV for its price (provided u r in a dark room). So why go for lower model when you can afford a little bit extra and get a better performing tv that equals quality of the top tier TVs.

Someone once told me, to actually feel the FullHD experience you NEED to have a fullHD display. I find it true all the time. But you have to be watching it from a closer distance to experience that.

I'm not sure whether this TV will deliver you the BEST. As I, myself am looking for a TV and found out that UT50 is an exceptional TV for its price (provided u r in a dark room). So why go for lower model when you can afford a little bit extra and get a better performing tv that equals quality of the top tier TVs.

Someone once told me, to actually feel the FullHD experience you NEED to have a fullHD display. I find it true all the time. But you have to be watching it from a closer distance to experience that.
As you said UT50 is an exceptional TV, i went to croma once again to change my order from XT50 TO UT50 but guys at croma are now all the crap answers like they don't have in stock,croma all over india never ordered this model,on my request they made a call to panasonic which told them that panasonic is going to come out with new series so UT50 would not despatched. So now i am stuck with XT50, can you suggest me another plasma in this size with FULL HD.

THANKS.

Re: The 2013 Plasma Discussion Thread! [Updated with Information]

With regards to Samsung F4100 plasma TV, it is being advertised as "enhanced definition" without publishing what it really means. Only those who would bother to check tech specs will know that this means 852x480. The ordinary people may not know this term and may be misled that it is better than high definition.

As you said UT50 is an exceptional TV, i went to croma once again to change my order from XT50 TO UT50 but guys at croma are now all the crap answers like they don't have in stock,croma all over india never ordered this model,on my request they made a call to panasonic which told them that panasonic is going to come out with new series so UT50 would not despatched. So now i am stuck with XT50, can you suggest me another plasma in this size with FULL HD.

THANKS.

You can have a look at Samsung 51E550.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back