The 2013 Plasma Discussion Thread!

Re: The 2013 Plasma Discussion Thread! [Updated with Information]

Nothing in Panasonic. The ranges are XT, UT, ST, GT & VT in investing order of quality and price. Samsung 51E8000 was once sold at 80k to clear the stocks. Blessed are those who purchased thus TV at that price. This model's MRP is 100k and will not be sold below 90k assuming if (a big 'if') stocks are available.

Samsung PS64F8500 Test Results | AVForums.com - UK Online

Panasonic TX-P55VT65B Test Results | AVForums.com - UK Online

Panasonic TX-P50GT60B Test Results | AVForums.com - UK Online

In the VT60 review Video Processing section the reviewer makes a mistake by calling it GT60.

When it came to 1080i material the P50GT60 correctly deinterlaced and displayed both the video and film resolution tests provided 16:9 Overscan was set to off in the Screen settings.

In the F8500 review they say that the black optimizer that Samsung introduced this year does lower the black levels but does it also lower the brightness is never discussed any where.Also i read in a post written by another calibrate they managed to achieve .0001 with black optimizer turned on in a dark room so i guess the F8500's blacks greatly depend on the black optimizer and it could be some sort of filter.Also i think because the actual sub pixels of F8500 is larger that what is to be found in VT,ZT or GT60 i guess in check board pattern there could be more light leaking into one pattern to the other and that combined with extra brightness explains the black measurements in ANSI.

The Black Optimiser promises deeper blacks and on a completely black screen in Dark Room mode we got that with a measurement of 0.007.

Some interesting ANSI check board reading of all the three television.

GT60

VT60

F8500

Out of the three according from this site's reading GT60 has the best blacks while F8500 has the best whites, in fact double that of what VT60 was able to deliver.

GT60 also has better whites than VT60 which means this television will have better dynamic range than VT60 and F8500, the reviewer also noted that F8500 showed great details in really dark scenes and i am guessing this is due to the high levels of brightness of this television compared to GT60 and VT60.

Overall i think this is will again be the year of plasma's setting the reference standards. :)

Last edited:
It is a proper decision and it makes sense to discontinue spending more on research on a line where you have reached a significant degree of technical success, such that putting more money in will only result in very minuscule advantages or returns (for eg how much more black level do how many people really need?). I guess they can get back to it if the competition EVER catches up and sales are at a level where they think further research can be attempted.

OLED is new technology and looks like a promising prospect to shift focus on.

I think the summary of the report is that they will not go for any big technological innovation for Plasmas, but they will keep changing models to include minor changes like , panel sizes, stands, software, input, output etc.

So a 2014 & beyond model will not be significantly different from 2013 model. It is like cars, a successful model developed will be marketed for next 5-7 years with minor changes, which is not of much relevant. So a honda city of 2009 and a honda city 2013 will not be radically different, though there are changes.

^Indeed, great work by Samsung. Hope the 51 incher also comes out.

I had posted on Panasonic's facebook a few days ago asking them when they would come out with an announcement, now that Samsung is already out with their press release.

So, far Panasonic is tight-lipped.

With some uncertainity in the Plasma world, plasma lovers can have some hope (little at least) for extended plasma production by both Samsung/Panasonic until OLED stabilizes in the high volume market.

Some unanswered questions:

Will it make sense to spend money on 2013 Panasonic plasma now?
Will the company able to provide any after sales support for plasma?
They will be focussing more on OLED and the profits will be from that line.
Will they care about existing plasma customers or new buyers?

-Sunil

Mate, IMO....

Will it make sense to spend money on 2013 Panasonic plasma now?
Yes it does as we do not have much choice for PQ/size at the given price points..

Will the company able to provide any after sales support for plasma?
They should hopefully for a few years. If i remember reading correctly Pioneer had commited a 7 year after sales support when they quit the plasma business till stocks / spares run out.

They will be focussing more on OLED and the profits will be from that line.
OLED will not be affordable to masses before 2015-16 at the earliest and I am speaking very optimistically.......

Will they care about existing plasma customers or new buyers?
Not much i guess once you have officially announced your exit from the business...it just a matter of selling the inventory...

I wouldnt be shocked if panny behaves contracadictory to what i have expressed above..

Re: The 2013 Plasma Discussion Thread! [Updated with Information]

Plasma tv technology is like a matured wine at this juncture, producing the very best of picture. It is sound to invest in this tech now which is at the pinnacle of perfection.
1. They have reached reference level in blacks and dynamic contrasts.
2. They have perfected in 1080p/24fps display.
3. Motion is almost flawless , resolving all the 1080 lines.
4. 3d picture too reached reference level.
5. 50hz material disply like sports is also pwefected.
6. The latest tvs are highly energy efficient.
7. Some manufacturers are able to produce bright displays without losing much of the blacks.

To reach this level is almost impossible for leds. I sometimes feel they gave up and instead are focussing on oleds.;)

I feel now is the time one should jump into the plasma bandwagon.
Honestly speaking, once you start watching your plasma at home, you cant stand the picture of the best of leds. This is true. :)

Samsung may have improved their flagship plasma in all aspects but one, its rated power which is 665 watts ( source - Samsung website). This is higher than the outgoing model which was in 480 watt range. As per avforums - in 3d calibrated mode the new f8500 consumes 591watts , whereas the outgoing E8000 in the same mode consumed 390watts. This is nearly 200watts of extra power consumption. Looks like samsungs plasma development is like fitting a turbo and supercharger to the same old engine to perform better at the cost of Fuel consumption.

In a similar comparison among the panasonic plasmas the power consumption is getting lesser and has been coming down progressively. This according to me is research and development giving rise to a better product.

Samsung may have given a better smart tv with all voice, motion command features. Appears they have not been able to bring out an energy efficient large plasma screen from its stables like Panasonic.

Samsung may have improved their flagship plasma in all aspects but one, its rated power which is 665 watts ( source - Samsung website). This is higher than the outgoing model which was in 480 watt range. As per avforums - in 3d calibrated mode the new f8500 consumes 591watts , whereas the outgoing E8000 in the same mode consumed 390watts. This is nearly 200watts of extra power consumption. Looks like samsungs plasma development is like fitting a turbo and supercharger to the same old engine to perform better at the cost of Fuel consumption.

In a similar comparison among the panasonic plasmas the power consumption is getting lesser and has been coming down progressively. This according to me is research and development giving rise to a better product.

Samsung may have given a better smart tv with all voice, motion command features. Appears they have not been able to bring out an energy efficient large plasma screen from its stables like Panasonic.

Anybody who wants that kind of quality and is ready to spend that sort of money, probably does not care. You don't compare fuel efficiency while comparing lambos, aston martins and porches. :p

I have a 65" panasonic plasma and it does not consume as much as the sammy does. Samsung is only catching up with Panny as far as PQ is concerned. :)

Panasonic India will launch the 2013 models on 12 May 2013 in Delhi.
Subsequently the TV's would be available after 8-10 days in the brandshops.

Back