The 2013 Plasma Discussion Thread!

Re: The 2013 Plasma Discussion Thread! [Updated with Information]

King succumbs to mishandling by customs delhi and dhl....in the name of physical verification....
A small memorial service to the dead King..
pejabyja.jpg
y6eze5yb.jpg
uqu2uhup.jpg
4yhebuqa.jpg

mepe9e2u.jpg

sad to see what happened here after investing so much time and money and lot more of feelings. however as DHL is responsible to deliver it at your doorstep they are completely liable to pay the complete amount including the Customs. try to file a complaint at the earliest as this is huge sum of money. really feeling bad for your loss and pain.

keep us posted on the developements as and when possible.

That is so bad. I am sure you were prepared & insured for the worst in planning to get a fragile item imported.

Hope it all ends soon & ends well.

Man proposes. DHL disposes.
Thank you all friends for sharing the burden of this loss.

The DHL india guys have taken photos of the TV. But in my excitement of getting the ZT i have insured only for the price of the TV. So the loss i will take is that of customs and feight charges.

Yes. Thats what is expected. If i had insured for twice the cost of the tv, then I could have covered all expenses.
That was naive of me to insure only the tv price.
After DHL US settles the claim, i am not sure if they will take back this TV?
Also, will there be any obligation for them to pay the Freight charges? I am not sure.
But I am sure they new about the TV damage but still collected the Customs duty from me. This was deceiving.

Yes. Thats what is expected. If i had insured for twice the cost of the tv, then I could have covered all expenses.
That was naive of me to insure only the tv price.
After DHL US settles the claim, i am not sure if they will take back this TV?
Also, will there be any obligation for them to pay the Freight charges? I am not sure.
But I am sure they new about the TV damage but still collected the Customs duty from me. This was deceiving.

This is really heartrending Buddy :-(
Wish you had opened the package in front of them and then not paid them the Customs Duty in cash!

Thanks guys.
Btw DHL India is ready to return Customs duty of 60000Rs.
On DHL US side claim processing for the insured 2450$ is still going on.
The courier guy who booked DHL said that he also claimed for freight charges.

But now the cost of zt60 on Amazon is 3500$.
I am just looking at the dead king and just enjoyiing the fact that I own a ZT60:)
Thats all I can do..

Thanks guys.

I am just looking at the dead king and just enjoyiing the fact that I own a ZT60:)
Thats all I can do..

So sad to hear this. At least you will get your money back. BTW, I heard lg slashed the price of their OLED by half. It's retailing about 7k now. So do not worry, this will become affordable sooner than you think. Cheers.

Thanks guys.

Thats all I can do..

Did you check for the cost of replacing the panel. as Panel replacement may be cheaper than buying a new TV.

Otherwise you can look at buying something locally.

This would be the future for all current Panasonic plasma users ... they can take a learning from your current situation. As they would not be able to repair or offer Plasmas as replacement. So they would push towards LCD's.

I bought a 50UT50D model in Nov 2012. The panel developed permanent vertical glows in June 2013. Panasonic said it had no replacement panels and so wanted to replace it with a LED model. I decided to go for LED instead of plasma as Panasonic is phasing out the plasmas and the plasmas are developing defects in 1-2 years.
I finally got the replacement 50DT60D Led model in January (after some escalations !!) and I am loving it. Unlike anubisX 's experience, I find the PQ of the DT model to be terrific. Infact, the 3D appears much sharper than the UT model. And no blacks bleeding though I generally do not see the tv in complete dark.
So with a better PQ, four 3D glasses, and better 3D, I had a happy ending so far to my plasma saga.

DT is a very good model.
Panasonic has left a void.
The price of even the vt60 plasma has now reached 4000$ for a sixty inch on Amazon.
The way people are buying panasonic plasmas paying double the costs only shows that there is not much to come from tv manufacturers this year.
I feel there is no new innovation mantras this year like the last year's quantum dot from Sony. Nothing new from anybody.
And there is not much traction for 4k tvs either.
All eyes are set on oleds. The size restriction of 55 inch , the unimaginably high price and the unwanted curve has placed the oleds only in the "want to have" list rather than the will have and can have lists.
All in all the tv segment is dull.

@DeepDs, when playing 3D movies, are you seeing any juddering ? I see that a lot which diminishes the pop-out effects.

@DeepDs, when playing 3D movies, are you seeing any juddering ? I see that a lot which diminishes the pop-out effects.

Anything in particular you are watching when this happens?

I switch the 2D-3D mode when films like Avatar are beamed in any of the HD channels and saved and viewed using Tata Sky+ box. The 3D depth is quite good. I have downloaded some 3D movies and watch them via USB and have not noticed any juddering yet. I also have run those LG 3D clips which produce some of the best pop-out effects and there too havent noticed any judder.
Perhaps am lucky so far.

Initially I was skeptical about passive 3D system but having viewed both active and passive, I feel no difference and in fact the lighter glasses in passive 3D make it feel more comfortable. Also, less worry in case they break as they are a lot cheaper.
The pop out and depth effects are stunning.

LG 3D clips are awesome. I specially see that juddering when in fast paced sequences. The depth is good and everything but the fast paced scenes looked better in active 3D.

@Dirac: I came back to the forum to see an ownership thred for the ZT (aptly named by you as 'king'.

I was shocked to see the shattered glass instead.
As you know it would be nearly impossible for you to source a replacement panel for the high end models.

Keep us posted.

I bought a 50UT50D model in Nov 2012. The panel developed permanent vertical glows in June 2013. Panasonic said it had no replacement panels and so wanted to replace it with a LED model. I decided to go for LED instead of plasma as Panasonic is phasing out the plasmas and the plasmas are developing defects in 1-2 years.
I finally got the replacement 50DT60D Led model in January (after some escalations !!) and I am loving it. Unlike anubisX 's experience, I find the PQ of the DT model to be terrific. Infact, the 3D appears much sharper than the UT model. And no blacks bleeding though I generally do not see the tv in complete dark.
So with a better PQ, four 3D glasses, and better 3D, I had a happy ending so far to my plasma saga.

Can you share contact details please, i having tough time with service center guys

Need Help..
I am interested in buying a plasma TV. After lot of searching, I decided to settle down for Samsung F4900 43" plasma. Also on display was a Panasonic THP42STD50, its a demo piece and is the last available piece in the series. I checked it out and after lot of bargaining, I am being offered a price of 72K for the demo piece...

I am in a dilema, the PQ of STD50 is awesome!!! But its a demo piece should I go ahead and buy it? Also is their by any chance an option to check the hours the TV has been used??

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back