thoroughly confused :hdav card vs radeon 5xxx series?

Spiro,

The Radeon 5450 fails in what is called Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing because it does not have the grunt to use that for smooth playback of MKV and .264 containers as well as Blu-Ray. You have to go to the 56xx series or the 57xx series to have that working well.

cheers

just get a used 5770 cheap off techenclave maybe. I dont see one for sale but its kinda like ebay, gotta keep checking. the 5770 is pretty much the little brother of 5850, though the gap between a 5770 and 5850 is almost 35% I think while 5850 and 5870 is around 15-20%.

The 5770 is extremely efficient with a ridiculously low power requirement on idle and load for the performance it gives.

I did a lot of trudging around in Al Ain Shopping Plaza today (the Ritchie Street of Dubai). I was surprised to find that most of the prices are about the same you get in India. Actually products such as RAM and HDD are cheaper in India!

Any how after a lot of research in what is available and what I need, I have decided on one of the following two combinations.

Option 1
Asus P7H57D-V EVO (11700)
Intel i5 3.2 Ghz (8775)

Option 2
Gugabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H (9295)
AMD Athlon x4 635 (6175)

The numbers in brackets are rough prices in Rs.

To either of these combinations I will be adding a Blu-Ray player, 2 GB of RAM, a 500GB HDD, and a Sapphire Radeon 5770 graphics card. If I can get a 5650 or a 5670 I will go for that, but the 56xx series has not yet reached here. Both MBs come with Realtek ALC 892 that support HD Audio bit streaming. In any case, if I use the HDMI of the GC, that issue will be resolved.

My question is - is it worthwhile paying the extra 5K for the Intel processor? Remember, AMD's AM3/890GX is roughly equivalent to Intel's LGA775 chipset, while the i5 works on the 1136 and H57 chipset. The PCIE is faster and with a single graphics card you can use the 128MB link RAM that comes with these boards. And of course, the 1136/H57 will stay current for a few years. DirectX 11 will become prevalent next year, and I feel media player software will use that to accelerate Blu-Ray playing even more. DirectX 11 also supports 3D, though that may not be main stream for quite some time.

Any comments and advices?

Cheers

Last edited:
I did a lot of trudging around in Al Ain Shopping Plaza today (the Ritchie Street of Dubai). I was surprised to find that most of the prices are about the same you get in India. Actually products such as RAM and HDD are cheaper in India!

Any how after a lot of research in what is available and what I need, I have decided on one of the following two combinations.

Option 1
Asus P7H57D-V EVO (11700)
Intel i5 3.2 Ghz (8775)

Option 2
Gugabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H (9295)
AMD Athlon x4 635 (6175)

The numbers in brackets are rough prices in Rs.

To either of these combinations I will be adding a Blu-Ray player, 2 GB of RAM, a 500GB HDD, and a Sapphire Radeon 5770 graphics card. If I can get a 5650 or a 5670 I will go for that, but the 56xx series has not yet reached here. Both MBs come with Realtek ALC 892 that support HD Audio bit streaming. In any case, if I use the HDMI of the GC, that issue will be resolved.

My question is - is it worthwhile paying the extra 5K for the Intel processor? Remember, AMD's AM3/890GX is roughly equivalent to Intel's LGA775 chipset, while the i5 works on the 1136 and H57 chipset. The PCIE is faster and with a single graphics card you can use the 128MB link RAM that comes with these boards. And of course, the 1136/H57 will stay current for a few years. DirectX 11 will become prevalent next year, and I feel media player software will use that to accelerate Blu-Ray playing even more. DirectX 11 also supports 3D, though that may not be main stream for quite some time.

Cheers

Hello Venkatcr,

Not any value add, just wanted to say welcome to Dubai, my "pettai":)

-thekinge

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheers

AMD AM3 is no way equal to LGA775. AM3 is the latest chipset from AMD for Phenom II processors, with integrated memory controller and support for DDR3 memory much like Socket 1136 for Intel i7.

Also DirectX 11 has little to do (infact nothing) with Blue Ray playback. DX11 is all mostly related to Gaming, Windows graphics and video editing. Main feature for DX11 to look for is "Tessellation" which is what nvidia is boasting about with there new line of GPUs namely GTX480/470.

Coming to your query, off the two configs I would settle with the AMD one if heavy application usage and heavy multi tasking is not there, else i5 could be a better bet......

Last edited:
AMD AM3 is no way equal to LGA775. AM3 is the latest chipset from AMD for Phenom II processors, with integrated memory controller and support for DDR3 memory much like Socket 1136 for Intel i7.

That is also what I thought. But AMD itself compares their AM3 to the LGA 775 and not the 1136 chipset. See AMD Phenom II Processor Competitive Comparison. That is what got me confused.

Cheers

That is also what I thought. But AMD itself compares their AM3 to the LGA 775 and not the 1136 chipset. See AMD Phenom II Processor Competitive Comparison. That is what got me confused.

Cheers

That is a comparision betwen Phenom II processor and C2Q, not AM3 and LGA 1136, having said that I would agree that this is not a valid comparision, within processors itself. Phenom II shoud be compare with i7. Things like Integrated memory comtroler that is been shown in the comparision chart is also there in i7. Compring it with C2Q would ofcourse show much less of what intel has in its phasing out technology.

the i5 750 is better but the 890gx chipset of the 965be is what takes the cake for amd for 5k lesser, it has NATIVE sata3 support which p55's dont, x58's do via a nforce 200 bridge but that board costs nearly 400$.

the i5 and 965be are nearly equal but the i5 in some scenarios have +15-20% perf and -20% energy consumption while the amd 965 be cannot offer either.

I went with the 965be+890gx chipset because with that 5k I saved, I got myself dd3 ram instead of ddr2.

Amd is good solution for graphical use,say Bluray plaback,games & is cheaper solution than equivalent intel option.
But when it comes to encoding/convertion,itel is fast.
For budget solution,power,AMD can be better.

Regarding ATI cards,which company is reliable-say Sapphire OR other?

Last edited:

Sapphire is supposedly be the best, MSI is the other option. XFX also has jumped in to ATI card manufacture now, but its rarely available.

Thanks for replies.
The only prob with higher series that they have either Large Heatsink OR a Fan which is a trouble as next slot can be covered & chances of fan failing.

Thanks for replies.
The only prob with higher series that they have either Large Heatsink OR a Fan which is a trouble as next slot can be covered & chances of fan failing.

This is not a problem with a high end mobo, slots are evenly laied out, and Fan failing?? You talking about the GPU fan, thats highly improbable, havent heard any such example yet .......

Last edited:

I would rate Sapphire at the top followed very closely by Gigabyte. XFX is good, but dealers in Dubai are not pushing it very hard saying support and servicing is a little tough.

Cheers

Fan failing?? You talking about the GPU fan, thats highly improbable, havent heard any such example yet .......

With my current GC7300 I had to change cooling fan 2 times.
Now warrenty is over & I have to pay for it.The temp goes higher due to this.

With my current GC7300 I had to change cooling fan 2 times.
Now warrenty is over & I have to pay for it.The temp goes higher due to this.

Strange I must say......that must be exception then, I have upgraded to atleast 10 GPUs in my 15+ years of extensive gaming career, but never faced any physical deformity with any GPU.....

After a lot of thought I am going in for the Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H and Athlon X4 635. Though the 890GX chipset does not support more than 2 channel LPCM, I am hoping to overcome the issue with the graphics card which will be the Sapphire 5770. The 5650 is also available, but the price different is hardly a 100 AED, and the 5770 is way far ahead in performance and LPCM capabilities.

I came across an interesting article that all serious HTPC user could find useful. Please read the article at Accelerate x.264 1080p movies over the GPU Guide.

Cheers

Last edited:
After a lot of thought I am going in for the Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H and Athlon X4 635. Though the 890GX chipset does not support more than 2 channel LPCM, I am hoping to overcome the issue with the graphics card which will be the Sapphire 5770. The 5650 is also available, but the price different is hardly a 100 AED, and the 5770 is way far ahead in performance and LPCM capabilities.

Though the 1156 based motherboard and the i5 looks attractive, they don't seem to provide any advantage excepting speed. And graphics built in into the 890GX motherboard is far ahead of Intel's in built graphics.

I came across an interesting article that all serious HTPC users could find useful. Please read the article at Accelerate x.264 1080p movies over the GPU Guide.

Cheers

Venkat - what exactly does the video card have to do with LPCM capabilities of the motherboard?

By the way, congrats on the motherboard choice. I am convinced that is the right way to go at this point in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thevo-If you see ATI 4series,they can send HD-aud via HDMI on GC,but only 2ch.
5 ser & above handles 7.1 HD-aud.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back