TRAI Guidelines for Digital Cable TV & DTH effective 1st Feb 2019

efernand1

You may have read the following article over Times of India....

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...cing-system/articleshow/67664395.cms?from=mdr

As per this article, TRAI has developed a tool for subscribers to select their packs / channels as per the directive and provide the same to respective LCO / MSO / DTH providers before 31st Jan 2019.

There was also a press release in early Jan 2019 which is very clear on Consumer choice of channels or packs whether SD or HD.....barring the mandated 25 channels which are part of the first 100 channels, 75 channels in the form of packs or A La Carte (Free or Pay Channels) in any combination should be selected by the consumer / subscriber. The next 25 channels whether SD or HD would be charged Rs 20 as NCF along with channel prices where applicable.

https://main.trai.gov.in/sites/default/files/PRNo0410012019.pdf

5. Consumer has complete freedom to choose their desired 100 Standard Definition (SD) channels within the network capacity fee of maximum Rs.130 I-. The desired channels could be in A-Ia-carte Free to Air channels or Pay channels or bouquet of pay channels or any combination thereof. The choice completely rests with the consumers.

https://channel.trai.gov.in/

cleardot.gif
The unfortunate truth we see around us is that Digital Cable TV & DTH providers have not provided this ample clarity which is in existence and also they have not updated their respective websites online forms or physical forms to have the available selection of channels (Free & Pay... A La Carte ) and Bouquet Packs created by the broadcasters.

Example: Hathway has created their own 6 expensive packs which hardly have any most viewed channels ....SD packs which costs as expensive as 550 a month! If I use the TRAI website to create my choice of channels and packs, the cost is well within 420-450.

I have highlighted this challenge to Hathway who seem to follow the bureaucratic route of responding.....it seems they dont want to publish or educate the broadcaster packs...hence not offering the same and want to make money through the A La Carte route of Pay Channels......

I have asked them to respond via email if they will accept and update my subscription basis TRAI website created pack.....if not then the escalation route of TRAI where they have already taken action on Tata Sky and Airtel is on the lense.

Cable Operators need to face the reality that they no more run the show, most programs are available online through various platforms (Zee5, Amazon Prime, NetFlix, etc)..they will loose customers if they continue on this self demolition path of forcing their self proclaimed made packs which is non compliance to TRAI directive and mandate.

If you choose 100 free channels - only SD - you pay only the carriage fee of Rs130 + 18% GST = Rs 153.4. If there are any pay channels in the 100 chosen, you pay the cost of each channel or bouquet additionally. Out of this 100 DD channels numbering about 25 are mandatory.
Some sites/news items mention erroneously that the cost remains Rs 130 irrespective of if you pick pay or free channels.
If you pick more than 100 channels then you pay an additional carriage fee of Rs 20 for every 25 channels over and above 100 channels. This is again only the carriage fee and the cost of each channel (if they are pay channels) is to be added to the price.

Airtel DTH has purposely hidden this option in Digital TV - Connections tab. There if you start picking out a la carte channels, the page invariably times out causing frustration! Trai channel selection tool as mentioned by efernand above is a good one relatively, but no option to transfer the selection to Airtel DTH - or I have not looked closely enough! The tool even optimizes if you select more pay channels from the same broadcaster based on bouquets offered! Great job by TRAI.

I finally found that I need utmost 20 or so channels - mostly English & Tamil news and some music channels!

The idea that carriers and broadcasters and trai have is to get the ARPU to Rs200 where it already is. But with junk channels not forced on consumers. HD channel pricing is free, no caps. World is moving to HD. Pay channel pricing is extra. If you put the three together, it is consumer friendly in terms of letting them choose the minimum they want, but paying a fixed fee in return. Which is fair both ways. So a good policy. Can't see any reason to complain except for those who will be forced to pay HD activation fee - now that is not on...

HD channels for live sports is my only requirement.
Let's see if TataSky can work something out; if so I'll let them back in the home.
I have cut the cord 2 months ago and very happy about it.
Cheers,
Raghu

Reason to complain is that the Cable TV guys / DTH guys are NOT ALLOWING subscribers to make their choice....I welcome the TRAI decision and mandate......the providers are complaining and forcing stupid self packs on subscribers

Tata Sky has launched the new pricing today.
Went and check my de-activated account. Tatasky is still peddling the old BS.
Strange thing is they won't show you anything lower than your last used pack when logged in.
When logged out, if you try to choose a pack, it asks for RMN or Sub-ID.
Enter it and it says, de-activated. Please recharge and then try.
It is like getting into disco, pay cover charge and then we'll let you in.

With this attitude, I'd say "Death to TataSky"
Hello ... Streaming (at least for now). Until this medium goes to pot too.

Cheers,
Raghu

I just selected only about 40 HD channels I want. Comes to about 650 rupees. HOWEVER, Tatasky the shammers have now increased their multitv rate from 200 pm to 400 pm.

Now even with 40 or so channel's of my choice, I'm going to end up paying more than previous pm. Really unscrupulous these guy's!:mad:

I was on 325 plan on Airtel which has around 12 hd channels. Now with revised prices, Airtel is recommending rs.340 plan which does not contain any HD channel. Looks like we are going to pay more to see ads now.

People were just happy with DD before the advent of satellite channels and more productive and not taking into account the electronic junk due to more TV , set top boxes

The individual channels are very expensive. My bill is likely to go up 3x if i retain all my channels.

Use the TRAI link and create the pack based on A La Carte or Broad Caster Channel packs....then review the total.....firstly read the landing page of the tool on what the regulation means and how is costing applied for every 25 channels selected after the initial 100 channels...

Prepare the pack, contact your operator and say I want this as per TRAI tool and recommendations.....if they cant provide or refuse to provide,,,,report them to TRAI......look for alternate provider who is willing to play ball as per TRAI mandate....

Hathway has now updated their online form with Broadcaster packs....I am waiting for them to update the section of Rs 130 which consist of the first 100 channels which as subscribers we need to select (Free / Pay) as per TRAI Mandate.....so my mail made some ripples......spread the word and I am sure as a huge wave we can all bring these operators to play proper ball in line with TRAI mandate and guidelines....its enough that they have fleeced us all these years with unrealistic prices of channels (especially sports ones) when there is demand!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone has any info on how this new scheme will affect multi TV users on Airtel DTH? Looks like each connection will be treated as an individual connection going forward. So, if i want the same channels on all 4 of my TVs, my bill will come to approximately Rs. 2500. I used to pay Rs. 1525 earlier!

Oh this is going way expensive just with English movies/ent and sports going way beyond my airtel 5500 annual pack

Anyone has any info on how this new scheme will affect multi TV users on Airtel DTH? Looks like each connection will be treated as an individual connection going forward. So, if i want the same channels on all 4 of my TVs, my bill will come to approximately Rs. 2500. I used to pay Rs. 1525 earlier!
Don't know about Airtel. Tatasky multi TV rates depends on the package price, for me it was rs.250 flat rate before. Now with trai, my channel packagges costs RS.498 and multi tv costs RS.300. Tatasky customer care told that as the package price increases, multi TV rate also will increase.

Tatasky found some way to cheat the customer's. By increasing the cost of multi tv. Well done, morons. I think I'm just going to cut off tatasky completely and only keep sport's channel's.

There are a few consumer action groups operating respectively in each state . Please do send your complaints to the groups so that the interest of the consumer is also recognised . I am not sure if some of the groups are legitimate but calling them and checking might help . The URL https://main.trai.gov.in/list-registered-consumer-groups

There also seems to be some consumer outreach programmes in some cities .. URL is https://main.trai.gov.in/consumer-outreach-program#notificationTab1
https://main.trai.gov.in/consumer-outreach-program#notificationTab3

As I said, the more folks get aware the better...they need to all complain through these groups or email TRAI officials directly then only an impact is done......In Mumbai the cable giant operators like Hathway & Vasai Cable (Signet Digital) are just out to make money by pushing their self made pack and also A La Carte Channel selection ......they are not publishing all available broadcaster bouquets which are consumer pocket friendly....all these packs are listed on TRAI website......

I tried comparing the prices in the Trai site and TATA Sky site for the A La Carte channels and they are not the same. For instance the &Pictures HD is 19 Rs in Trai site compared to 22.42 on Tata Sky site. Same is the case with all of the channels.

I tried comparing the prices in the Trai site and TATA Sky site for the A La Carte channels and they are not the same. For instance the &Pictures HD is 19 Rs in Trai site compared to 22.42 on Tata Sky site. Same is the case with all of the channels.
18% GST

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back