TRAI Guidelines for Digital Cable TV & DTH effective 1st Feb 2019

We are just two of us and using Tatasky on two TVs with multi TV plan.
Was wondering if it was possible to have two accounts at one address and split the required channels into two segments, one on each TV?
Anyone tried to do this?

With MultiTV tatasky will ask you to pay for the paid channels twice. The only discount on the secondary box is that you do not pay NCF.
My suggestion is ask them to separate the 2 setop boxes as 2 connections and then you can have 2 sets of different packs.

Was wondering if it was possible to have two accounts at one address and split the required channels into two segments, one on each TV?
Anyone tried to do this?
Consider streaming services for at least one TV
Cheers,
Raghu

Y
Anyone tried to do this?
Yes, but since your already have them as multi TV check with tata sky if they can do it as separate accounts. Should not be problem technically. You could take one on spouse's name if needed. Most of the ctv/dth guys are/were struggling to get backend systems charge as per new tariff especially NCF. Also having people choose whatever channels they want is not so easy for most traditional CRM-Billing solutions these guys have been using.

I have been trying to educate my parents and their neighbors about this.
They are bent on believing the "cable guy"; and look at me like I have recently grown two heads.
Currently, Hathway has cut off the old packs citing "software upgrade" and pushing a curated pack of free channels (adding up to 100)
The twist is:
130/- for the base pack (of 100 useless channels)
20/- for every 25 channels (SD - 1 count, HD - 2 count)
And pay for the channel/bouquet costs as per selection.
Allegedly they will have a clear idea by March 31.

I have advised parents to return both STBs for now.
Showed them what they can get from streaming/subscription services.
Now to get high speed fiber into the location.

Cheers,
Raghu
ACT came my parents place and took the order after confirming fiber is possible.
It is an individual house; they said their nearest switch is 3 houses away.
So they'll run a CAT5/5+ ethernet cable from their "CX" switch (about 25-30 mts)
They promised full 100Mbps speed and the plan had some goodies for a 6-month subscription.
Hopefully the Hathway/TRAI woes will be solved very soon.
Cheers,
Raghu

TRAI had asked service providers to honour long duration packs. Does anyone have any information on this?

Anyone tried to do this?

I haven’t done this but spoke with the tatasky guys and they were willing to let one have different channels/packs on the additional connection. I didn’t clarify if it is going to be two different accounts or if they would just manage the split in a single account and as two different connections.

TRAI had asked service providers to honour long duration packs. Does anyone have any information on this?

Probably yes.
We do not have any long duration packs, got all additional connections disconnected for now and our original pack/channels are working just fine and for the same monies that we used to pay earlier. Adding additional channels is at the new lowered price!
It is tatasky that we are using.

Long duration packs...this means if you have paid for an Annual or Half or Quarterly pack which is still valid ...if yes then no cable operator / DTH operator can disrupt services and force you on something else till the period is over. Regardless TRAI extension is till 31st Mar 2019....till that time, operators are supposed to update all channels / packs and make them available to customers....customers need to exercise their choices before 31st Mar 2019 ...else if not done, based on viewing pattern and monthly paid average amounts, the operatror has the right to apply a suitable pack.

Any excess amount will remain as credit within your subscriber account.

Please refer to points # 10 and # 11 of the TRAI FAQs available on www.channeltariff.trai.gov,in

For the record....Hathway has played ball with me and have updated the missing broadcaster packs....

Here is the workaround I have made after speaking to Hathway officials including area manager. Perhaps some of you can workout the same with your respective Area managers / Hathway representatives.....

First step is to check and note down your Cable TV Services AC number (1000XXXXXX), registered mobile number, AC name, Smart Card Number (0000 XXXX XXXX) and email id. Keep this ready!

Make a list of the channels you regularly watch or your household watches. Look out for broadcaster packs which will be cost effective for your pocket.

Choice of channels workaround for those who pay on monthly basis!

Download the Hathway & Datacom app from Playstore on your Smart phone or alternatively log on to http://selfcare.hathway.com on your laptop or computer only…

• Enter your Cable TV AC number, AC name and other details and log in.
  • View what pack has been updated for your AC.
  • Advisable to continue with the same till the expiry date. Note the expiry date.
  • One day before expiry or on expiry day morning, contact your Hathway representative who comes to collect payments.
  • The Representative will come and remove the Hathway plan applied for your AC through his mobile device which is linked to the cable servers.
  • Removal of the existing plan will cause disruption of services.
  • Give the Representative your list of Channels / Broadcaster packs which he will update in the portable device he carries.
  • Make the payment and the channels will get activated for a period of 30 days!
  • Going forward you can use the app or log online to choose your channels / packs after every 30 days….this you will need to do every 30 days……
  • Refer to channel 999 for detailed videos and guidance.

For those who have paid annual subscription which is still valid till May / Jun / Sep 2019 workaround.

• Follow steps 1 to 3.
  • Send a mail 2 days prior to Expiry to the area manager / hathway representative with clear details of the Cable Services TV AC number, Name of AC, Smart Card Number, copy of paid receipt or details of payment made. (From – To).
  • Mention in this mail itself which subscription is currently active and list down which channels / broadcaster packs you would like to update to.
  • Once email is sent, please call these recipients of the mail inform them about the mail sent for their prompt action.
  • Hathway Team will check, remove the existing pack and update requested channels / packs.
  • Depending on when your email is sent and received, action will be taken. Advisable to send the mail late night itself so that action can be taken the next working day in the morning during business hours…11am till 6pm.
  • After all changes are made, Hathway will advise the available credit balance in your account.
  • Please note, once this is sorted out, you will need to log into the app or through computer every 30 days to renew your subscription.
  • Refer to channel 999 for detailed videos and guidance.
The above steps is only a one time correction to help you to get the channels / packs of your viewing choice. If you do not want to get into the headache of selecting your channels / packs, you can continue to use the Hathway recommended packs and keep renewing the same every 30 days.

List of some most common widely used Value broadcaster packs which are pocket friendly, see the details of which channels are present in these packs through the app or online portal.

STANDARD DEFINITION (SD – Regular Set Top Box)

• Disney Universal Bouquet Rs 10.00 (7 channels)
  • Sony Happy Sports Bouquet Rs 39.00 ( 5 channels)
  • Sony Happy English Bouquet Rs 12:00 ( 3 channels)
  • Sony Happy English and Sports Rs 47:00 ( 8 channels)
  • Star Hindi / Marathi Premium Pack Rs 79 (19 / 20 channels)
  • TV 18 North East Value Bouquet Rs 19.00 ( 11 channels)
  • Zee Prime Pack English Rs 25.00 (4 channels)
  • Bennett Coleman & Company Limited (Times Network) Bouquet 2 Rs 13:00 (7 channels)
  • Discovery Basic Information Pack Rs 8.00 (8 channels)
  • NDTV Ultra Bouquet Rs 3.50 ( 4 channels)
  • Turner International Pvt Ltd Family Pack Rs 10.00 ( 5 Channels)
HIGH DEFINITION (HD – Set Top boxes capable of receiving SD and HD channels).

• Bennett Coleman & Company Limited (Times Network) Bouquet 3 Rs 20:00 (8 channels)
  • Sony Happy English Bouquet Rs 20:00 ( 3 channels)
  • Discovery Basic Information HD Pack Rs10.00 (8 channels)
  • Sony Happy English and Sports Rs 50:00 ( 8 channels)
  • Sony Happy Sports Bouquet Rs 59.00 ( 5 channels)
  • Turner International Pvt Ltd Family pack Rs 12.50 ( 5 Channels)
  • TV 18 North East Value Bouquet Rs 27.00 ( 11 channels)
  • Zee Prime Pack English Rs 35.00 (5 channels)
The Hathway app and selfcare portal will also have the list of available packs and A La Carte channels…

I have circulated these to my list of Hathway users basis whatsapp.....

My Hathway annual pack expired on Feb 28. I see many channels gone now as per their software upgrade disruption. Now I see some Kannada GEC, English news channels working, including some Kannada GEC HD channels without my recharge. So I will wait and watch till the end of the month without recharge and then take a call, or will recharge as soon as I am completely blacked out.

ACT came my parents place and took the order after confirming fiber is possible.
It is an individual house; they said their nearest switch is 3 houses away.
So they'll run a CAT5/5+ ethernet cable from their "CX" switch (about 25-30 mts)
They promised full 100Mbps speed and the plan had some goodies for a 6-month subscription.
Hopefully the Hathway/TRAI woes will be solved very soon.
Cheers,
Raghu
Update:
ACT high speed BB activated at parents place. 100 Mbps speed. 400GB data per month.
Very stable; got a dual band modem free and no installation charge with 6-month subscription.
It will be bye-bye Hathway soon.

Paid Subscription Apps: SunNxt, SonyLIV, HotStar, NetFlix, Amazon Prime Video + Music
Free Subscription Apps: Voot (mostly for colors Kannada), Zee5 (some free news channels), TimesNow, NDTV, India Today

TV 1 (Plasma HD in living room)
Device: Amazon Firestick 4K
TV 2 (UHD 4K in bedroom)
Device: Chromecast (gen2) except for NetFlix/Prime/SunNxt/Zee5 which are on LG TV

This takes care of mum and dad's languages and channels of interest and a mix of Kannada/English/Hindi news channels.
The primary reason for high speed internet at parents place was to get them onto NetFlix/PrimeVideo and get used to VoD.
With subscriptions, both our homes and 3 TVs, IPAD and 5 mobiles can avail the "family" plan.

Cheers,
Raghu

I am trying to change my pack to basic FTA on my airtel connection but they are refusing it dont have any idea how to do it

I use Hathway and downloaded the app from Playstore.....I am able to select and unsubscribe channels.....I am sure the Airtel app would have the same...

There are challenges in all apps....after deselecting...log out and then again log in and check.......

Also refer to the latest updated Broadcaster pack listing as on 13th Mar 2019 for SD and HD channels......rates have changed (Cheaper) and more budget packs introduced....

https://channeltariff.trai.gov.in/

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back