upgraditis --planning to upgrade to 1080p from optoma hd65

Congrats jayad08, Did you make use of the free lamp offer on the mits, most stores in the US are having one now! How much did it cost?

well i am not sure that scheme is available in singapore, where i got this from..
also i had my unit booked with the company a month back, when the scheme was not in the US stores.. so no i didnt get the free lamp..
need to be more careful of which models are they actually selling along with free lamp.. do they have the latest firmware fixes.. by now i suppose all the units in the market should be fixed..
the total amount including customs/mount/remittance charges came out to Rs90k

Well it seems to be more of a marketing gimick owing to the -ve publicity the model had for the shutdown issues. This offer is for the PJs with the new firmware which has all these issues fixed and to gain lost ground. I have been following this thread and Santhosh's thread for the want of a PJ and now am more confuded between HD20, W1000 and this. HD20 by far seems to be cheapest to run and maintain and picturewise they are all close.
Only issue with Mits is that it has only one HDMI and most sites in US that I saw this model say it has 110V power supply which means additonal expense.
My search continues with inclination towards HD20
Thanks,
Manish

Congratulations, Jay! 90K price tag is definitely attractive.
I see that you have a similar set-up as mine when it comes to the front speakers - i.e. the speakers are kept below the level of the screen. I have the front speakers kept on floor and whereas the screen is about 30" from the floor level. Even though I don't find it an issue, I always wondered if it would be better if I had them at the same level as the screen, i.e, right by the sides of the screen. Do you feel that too?

Well it seems to be more of a marketing gimick owing to the -ve publicity the model had for the shutdown issues. This offer is for the PJs with the new firmware which has all these issues fixed and to gain lost ground. I have been following this thread and Santhosh's thread for the want of a PJ and now am more confuded between HD20, W1000 and this. HD20 by far seems to be cheapest to run and maintain and picturewise they are all close.
Only issue with Mits is that it has only one HDMI and most sites in US that I saw this model say it has 110V power supply which means additonal expense.
Thanks,
Manish
Manish, when are you dropping in buddy? You can see the PQ of the HD20 for yourself and then decide.

About your decision-making... like you mentioned, all the above-mentioned models have more or less similar PQ with each excelling in one area(in comparison) and still doing well in other areas. When I am in such a situation, I make a choice based on aesthetics(which one would go well given your interiors and equipment) and ofcourse cost factor.

You are right about the marketing gimmick here in India. IMO, many dealers offer you an extra bulb because we indians have a problem (mindset) with paying one-third the price of the projector for a lamp:). Even I used to think this was a few years ago but now I know it is pointless investing in a lamp at the time of purchase. Also 3000 hrs is a lot more than we think it is.

Thanks,
Manish

before u make ur final decision just be sure to get ur priorities in the right order..
for me it was PQ first, and 3800 is rated marginally above the HD20..so i took it even at a time when there were issues such as random shutdowns, one input HDMI, zero lens shift..
if these issues are above the PQ in ur priority list and HD20 has no such probs then HD20 it should be..
i still feel that HC3800 is better, now when u have the free lens scheme too..the price comes out to be the same at HD20
PS: The PQ of the HC3800 has been compared to Pana4000 which retails at 2k

Congratulations, Jay! 90K price tag is definitely attractive.
I see that you have a similar set-up as mine when it comes to the front speakers - i.e. the speakers are kept below the level of the screen. I have the front speakers kept on floor and whereas the screen is about 30" from the floor level. Even though I don't find it an issue, I always wondered if it would be better if I had them at the same level as the screen, i.e, right by the sides of the screen. Do you feel that too?

:licklips: well my motive was to stretch the screen max to the ends so i have to keep the FS below the screen level.. if u notice ( in the higher resolution pic) that the FS are away from the wall by 2ft, so that they do not get in the way of the projected image.
if your setup (now that u have a fix size screen) allows you to have the FS side of the screen then it should be better.. but make sure that you have 1-2 ft distance from the wall between the speakers..

PS: Thanks for the inputs on borderlinx.. had the citibank issue not been there, i wd have definately gone with this option for any purchase from US

Last edited:
Yup I know Mits fare better in terms of PQ but nothing much the price diff of HD and W1000 cannot make it :)
But as you rightly said the free lamp offer is very tempting to let go + better pic. Having seen screenshots on various forums both are a close match, but again a picture has limitations when compared to seeing it in flesh. Really wish you were in Bangalore and I could check the setup before deciding!
Sathosh: Lemme call you today to see when we can meet.
Thanks Jayad08 and Santhosh
-Manish

cud u post a few more pic latter on with the 2 modes ,so it cud be compared

thanks in advance

i will put in the images of the 3 modes and one anamorphic mode..
maybe the image hosting tinypic would be used.. as my attachements quota is almost full
anybody tried opening from tinypic.. is it accessible..

Jay, somehow missed your pictures. Subhash has asked all the questions that I had:). Thanks for your replies.

Your Projector looks fantastic in shiny black and the PQ is also damn good. I had somehow stopped thinking about 2.35:1 and you have just re-kindled it. 2.35:1 looks fabulous mate, Enjoy!!.

About black bars, not sure about yourself but whenever I see black bars I am distracted by it and can't enjoy the movie much. I thought I was the only one but Subhash also feels the same:lol:. Getting a screen should fix your hotspot(nothing but your wall reflecting the light of your PJ). Try what Cranky has suggested on the other thread before you get a screen. Infact, I suggest you build a fixed frame screen yourself by getting the fabric\screen material.

maybe the image hosting tinypic would be used.. as my attachements quota is almost full

cud i suggest u post the pics in Blu-ray.com forum in the my gallery section

u get to post inumerable pics and also it cud be viewed in higher resolution / size

all u need to do is register and post a link here ,this wud be of great help to all interested in the mits3800 , u cud follow my link and register

regards ,subhash

all 8 pics from the tinypic link is accessible

Jay, somehow missed your pictures. Subhash has asked all the questions that I had:). Thanks for your replies.

Your Projector looks fantastic in shiny black and the PQ is also damn good. I had somehow stopped thinking about 2.35:1 and you have just re-kindled it. 2.35:1 looks fabulous mate, Enjoy!!.

About black bars, not sure about yourself but whenever I see black bars I am distracted by it and can't enjoy the movie much. I thought I was the only one but Subhash also feels the same:lol:. Getting a screen should fix your hotspot(nothing but your wall reflecting the light of your PJ). Try what Cranky has suggested on the other thread before you get a screen. Infact, I suggest you build a fixed frame screen yourself by getting the fabric\screen material.

thanks for the info on HOTSPOT, dint really know what that meant:D:D

hey santosh and jayad

if u look into my set up ,pic 2

i dont think the stretched 2.35:1 will fit in right ?? my FS are right nxt to the screen so i think its an issue here , any comments??

regards

cud i suggest u post the pics in Blu-ray.com forum in the my gallery section

u get to post inumerable pics and also it cud be viewed in higher resolution / size

all u need to do is register and post a link here ,this wud be of great help to all interested in the mits3800 , u cud follow my link and register

regards ,subhash
Thanks subhash maybe i will try this tonight

hey santosh and jayad

i dont think the stretched 2.35:1 will fit in right ?? my FS are right nxt to the screen so i think its an issue here , any comments??

regards
Subhash, you can very much do a 2.35:1 in your current room but you will get a smaller screen for the same given length. It will look longer as the height has been reduced.

Let me take an example with some nice round numbers:

If your 16:9 screen's length is 100 inches, then your height is approximately 56 inches. Now you want to move to a 2.35:1 then your new screen size will be 100 inches long and approximately 42 inches in height. The height has been reduces by a little over one feet. This is what gives you the "wider screen" effect.

Calculation is as below:
Height = 100/2.35 = 42.55 inches

ps: You may have to lower the screen a little to get the center of the screen to viewer's eye level.

Subhash, you can very much do a 2.35:1 in your current room but you will get a smaller screen for the same given length. It will look longer as the height has been reduced.

Let me take an example with some nice round numbers:

If your 16:9 screen's length is 100 inches, then your height is approximately 56 inches. Now you want to move to a 2.35:1 then your new screen size will be 100 inches long and approximately 42 inches in height. The height has been reduces by a little over one feet. This is what gives you the "wider screen" effect.

Calculation is as below:
Height = 100/2.35 = 42.55 inches

ps: You may have to lower the screen a little to get the center of the screen to viewer's eye level.

thanks santosh, will think of these options when i get the new pj in a couple of months time

going for a smaller screen is a bit of worry :sad:

does this mean i need 2 screens to view in the 2 different aspects (16;9 / 2.35:1 )

i wud love to lower the screen further but the problem is with the height of the sub :D ,the front position is where it sounds the best

hey santosh and jayad

regards

wow a huge setup indeed..
i think this is a 16:9 screen, so for a 2:35 you will have the black edges visible on the top..
FS are rightly placed..

thanks santosh, will think of these options when i get the new pj in a couple of months time

going for a smaller screen is a bit of worry :sad:

does this mean i need 2 screens to view in the 2 different aspects (16;9 / 2.35:1 )

i wud love to lower the screen further but the problem is with the height of the sub :D ,the front position is where it sounds the best

i think there are not many screens available with 2.35 ascpect, even if there are then would be costly..
rather u can get a bigger 16:9 screen, you have got some more room on sides and lots of room over the screen

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back