upgraditis --planning to upgrade to 1080p from optoma hd65

i would not recommending other models, as there are not many which offer the performance in the price category..
If there are no budget contraints and you can maybe go upto 1800, then there are two very good prjs..
one is the pana 4000 and another is the sharp z15000 which offer excellent performance..

with regards to the lcd 1080p mdels the size is the concern, difficult to hand carry

also will relook @ optoma hd20 as i already am familiar with optoma, they have no issues

also there is a dlp 1080p model from vivetek

also will relook @ optoma hd20 as i already am familiar with optoma, they have no issues

also there is a dlp 1080p model from vivetek

i wont recommend HD20, as according to Art reviews it hasnt got very basic black levels for 1080p. If you plan to install this in a living room then there is no difference between the mits 3800 and optoma HD20 as they are equally bright, and with ambient light you cannot tell the difference. But in a light controlled environment Mits outscores the optoma. What HD20 offers you is slightly better flexibility in comparison to Mits 3800 in terms of screen size. For a 120" screen you require a minimum of 9' ceiling with the Mits.
Its stable for now in comparison to Mits, but by feb i suppose both will be rated equal on that factor.
As for Vivitek 1080p, i suppose it is at par with the HD20, with better placement flexibility..you can get the idea if an aug 2009 launch projector has still not been reviewed by Art(projectorreviews)

i wont recommend HD20, as according to Art reviews it hasnt got very basic black levels for 1080p. If you plan to install this in a living room then there is no difference between the mits 3800 and optoma HD20 as they are equally bright, and with ambient light you cannot tell the difference. But in a light controlled environment Mits outscores the optoma. What HD20 offers you is slightly better flexibility in comparison to Mits 3800 in terms of screen size. For a 120" screen you require a minimum of 9' ceiling with the Mits.
Its stable for now in comparison to Mits, but by feb i suppose both will be rated equal on that factor.
As for Vivitek 1080p, i suppose it is at par with the HD20, with better placement flexibility..you can get the idea if an aug 2009 launch projector has still not been reviewed by Art(projectorreviews)

hi jayad , i think the mits 3800 has better placement flexibility , it has 1.5 manual zoom as compared to 1.2 ( ie if u ever want to use zoom )
ceiling hieght is not an issue for my set up
and also i think both require to be placed @ abt 13 feet to get a 120" image, above the level of screen if its cieling mounted

the pj 's i am looking @ is to replace the existing hd65 in a dark /dedicated ht room, have a look @ the present set up

Last edited:
Ji Jaya...Can you explain the above...
the ceiling limitation is only for those looking for ceiling mount..
put the dimensions in the projection calculator:
MITSUBISHI ELECTRIC Projector Calculator
Choose the projection position as reverse as it is to be ceiling mounted..
you will see that for a 120" screen, with a projector top at 100" and lens center at around 94", screen's bottom comes down to around 17".
For a comfortable positioning of the screen/speaker at least a 9' height is required.
There is plenty of discussion for this on avsforums..
One of the threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17316434&highlight=calculator#post17316434

hi jayad , i think the mits 3800 has better placement flexibility , it has 1.5 manual zoom as compared to 1.2 ( ie if u ever want to use zoom )
ceiling hieght is not an issue for my set up
and also i think both require to be placed @ abt 13 feet to get a 120" image, above the level of screen if its cieling mounted

the pj 's i am looking @ is to replace the existing hd65 in a dark /dedicated ht room, have a look @ the present set up

with the zoom, you can only adjust the distance of the projector from the screen, which can be a minimum of 144" to max of 214" from the screen.
What you cannot adjust is the height placement, which comes with lens shift,which the mits lacks..
If you have no issue with the ceiling height, then great..coz this is the only serious limitation which many guys have (including me.. I have a 8' celing)

who want to wait and go for this:licklips:

Optoma Introduces Affordable High Definition 3D Projector | High-Def Digest

Is it worth U feel?

Anybody in the forum has experienced/Played a 3D-bluray available in the market at present with PS3 or Bluray player with PJ or TV..? Need comments on that..

yup, have really liked
monster and aliens--blue ray/option of watching in 3D with supllied glasses
carolina --dvd reg1/ has 3D option
journey to centre of earth --dvd reg1 with 3D option

the bluray of aliens and monsters outperforms

with the zoom, you can only adjust the distance of the projector from the screen, which can be a minimum of 144" to max of 214" from the screen.
What you cannot adjust is the height placement, which comes with lens shift,which the mits lacks..
If you have no issue with the ceiling height, then great..coz this is the only serious limitation which many guys have (including me.. I have a 8' celing)

does using zoom influence PQ have not used the zoom in my hd65

Hi subhash,

Good to know that you have experienced the 3D in bluray, whether you are satisfied with the PQ and you are able to watch the whole movie without any break???

I have Journey to centre, Hannah, polar, my bloody val- None of them impressed me much, i could not sit for 30 minutes a stretch while watching in 3D,, got pain in the eyes,,,,,,,Moreover the supplied glass not fitting properly which also makes us uncomfortable,, May be we should find some good 3D viewing glass specific if available for improve this?? May be aneelr can reply on this, since he is into animation...

Last edited:
ya agree with you the supllied glases are poor in quality and does cause irritation ,but if u can tolerate them the blu ray of alien n monster definetly impresses though it does without the glases too

does using zoom influence PQ have not used the zoom in my hd65

no i dont think so..
it is something similar to the optical zoom in the digital camera.. the megapixels are not affected by it.. similarly there should be no impact on the native resolution of the prj..
also very good use of the zoom lens is to switch between the 2.35:1 mode from 16:9,so that the black bars are not visible, without the use of external anamorphic lens,which is one of the features that the mits 3800 provides..

at 1000USD sounds great
but the catch , its 720p and the need to buy shutter glasses as a separate

as you are not going to throw away the HD65, you can any time use the steroscopic projection technique to achieve the 3d result..with a new projector even if the refresh rate is less than 120hz and trust me it would be more real than the effect provided from a single projector..which uses the technique of dividing the refresh rate by 2(Alternate frame sequencing)
I have posted a link for the same in this thread..

no i dont think so..
it is something similar to the optical zoom in the digital camera.. the megapixels are not affected by it.. similarly there should be no impact on the native resolution of the prj..
also very good use of the zoom lens is to switch between the 2.35:1 mode from 16:9,so that the black bars are not visible, without the use of external anamorphic lens,which is one of the features that the mits 3800 provides..
are you sure abt this ?
have to relook @ the reviews again
i thot for mode 1 (2.35:1) u do need external anamorphic lens

as you are not going to throw away the HD65, you can any time use the steroscopic projection technique to achieve the 3d result..with a new projector even if the refresh rate is less than 120hz and trust me it would be more real than the effect provided from a single projector..which uses the technique of dividing the refresh rate by 2(Alternate frame sequencing)
I have posted a link for the same in this thread..

never , the hd65 is quiet brilliant @ the price level , and have had absolutely no issues with it for the past 2 yrs

have not read the link on 3d prjs , did try to read but it kind of needed a lot more in depth reading , will rechk

are you sure abt this ?
have to relook @ the reviews again
i thot for mode 1 (2.35:1) u do need external anamorphic lens

This is what we were discussing in another thread "Anyone using 2.35:1 screen setup with the Anamorphic lens??. Mode1 will be a zoom function, which is just an image stretching at the cost of PQ. Mode2 is for the optical stretch which retains almost the same PQ.

Does it mean Mits cannot be shelf mounted? The offset value mentioned in the Projector Calculator site cannot be -ve? i.e., projector has be below the bottom edge of screen for standard setting and should be above the top edge for a ceiling mount??

Does it mean Mits cannot be shelf mounted? The offset value mentioned in the Projector Calculator site cannot be -ve? i.e., projector has be below the bottom edge of screen for standard setting and should be above the top edge for a ceiling mount??

whatever the position of the prj(except when ceiling mounted,as it is reversed in that pos) any image thrown will have a positive offset from that position..
here are some reads on shelf mounting for mits 3800
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17380926&highlight=shelf#post17380926

Mitsubishi HC3800 Home Theater Projector

Mitsubishi HC3800 Projector Review - Overview

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back