UPS/Power conditioner for HIFI systems?

Based on experience and kind advise of @lingamkrishnan @Love4sound , I have installed Luminous LB3000T double conversion Online UPS with Isolation Transformer. Can not risk my peace of mind and equipment anymore. I hope this brings end to the recurring problem of blowing up my equipment.
Good and hope you get a solution.But sensitive electronics do fail some times irrespective of the power supply conditions but your case since it was happening frequently to multiple devices we can have some assurance with the ups. BTW it was me who advised Lingam as well and hope it’s a good solution for you both so you both don’t end up killing me if something goes wrong :)

Good and hope you get a solution.But sensitive electronics do fail some times irrespective of the power supply conditions but your case since it was happening frequently to multiple devices we can have some assurance with the ups. BTW it was me who advised Lingam as well and hope it’s a good solution for you both so you both don’t end up killing me if something goes wrong :)
The UPS part here is clearly for power back up but we are losing on the pure sine-wave output part according to subbu sir. Is it better if we go for a CVT/Isolation transformer alone without UPS?

The UPS part here is clearly for power back up but we are losing on the pure sine-wave output part according to subbu sir. Is it better if we go for a CVT/Isolation transformer alone without UPS?
Yeah it is upto each individual. My case I have decided to take the risk of using only an isolation transformer. I have no surge protection or voltage stabilizer. I have also connected my Tv directly to the mains with no protection and sadly it’s the most expensive gear in my chain. With the Tv in chain my PA screams like a motor.Not sure why but even after LG replaced the panel, power supply board and power chord the tv is causing the PA to scream like a motor.The noise is passed through the power chord of the tv. Thankfully isolation transformer is able to block it. Also at times the same behaviour mildly without the Tv so some other devices are also is causing it. With isolation transformer all other devices are electrically disconnected and hence the PA doesn’t make any sound.

Last edited:
All you need is an overvoltage/undervoltage cutoff device. And one that let's you set those cutoff thresholds. Like this one: https://www.amicikart.com/products/c5c77f7440/450878000000062247

Unless you want to spend big bucks for audiophile protectors - in which case... ;)
I use an Emerson 3 kva double conversion online UPS on a dedicated phase to connect my audio setup. It outputs a steady 230V as per the display. Despite this, I've had an issue of equipment damage due to power surge, which the online UPS should have prevented. I'm now considering adding an over/under voltage cut off device between the online UPS and the power strip. I can set the range to, say, 210 to 250. My question is whether this device will cut off the power quickly enough in case of a surge? And will this arrangement be sufficient protection for my equipment?

I use an Emerson 3 kva double conversion online UPS on a dedicated phase to connect my audio setup. It outputs a steady 230V as per the display. Despite this, I've had an issue of equipment damage due to power surge, which the online UPS should have prevented. I'm now considering adding an over/under voltage cut off device between the online UPS and the power strip. I can set the range to, say, 210 to 250. My question is whether this device will cut off the power quickly enough in case of a surge? And will this arrangement be sufficient protection for my equipment?
Found some explanation here, could be complete marketing but this comes from the manufacturers

Good and hope you get a solution.But sensitive electronics do fail some times irrespective of the power supply conditions but your case since it was happening frequently to multiple devices we can have some assurance with the ups. BTW it was me who advised Lingam as well and hope it’s a good solution for you both so you both don’t end up killing me if something goes wrong
You think this kind of Product would be of any use to cover more power related threats?

I recall the Denon AVR I got in 2005 explicitly mentioned it should NOT be connected to any UPS. So is it is okay do it with online UPSs?
I have a Rega Brio, Schitt Dac, and a RPi streamer I want to protect.

Should I go for a UPS or will a product like this suffice?

I recall the Denon AVR I got in 2005 explicitly mentioned it should NOT be connected to any UPS. So is it is okay do it with online UPSs?
I have a Rega Brio, Schitt Dac, and a RPi streamer I want to protect.

Should I go for a UPS or will a product like this suffice?

From Product description,
"The internal surge protector is rated at 3000 joules and capable of taking more than a couple of hits without compromising your equipment and has a 15a overload short ckt protectionThe internal surge protector is rated at 3000 joules and capable of taking more than a couple of hits without compromising your equipment and has a 15a overload short ckt protection"

Does this mean the equipment could still be compromised without even any notice that the device has already taken couple of hits already?

Last edited:
From Product description,
"The internal surge protector is rated at 3000 joules and capable of taking more than a couple of hits without compromising your equipment and has a 15a overload short ckt protectionThe internal surge protector is rated at 3000 joules and capable of taking more than a couple of hits without compromising your equipment and has a 15a overload short ckt protection"

Does this mean the equipment could still be compromised without even any notice that the device has already taken couple of hits already?
The protector will become permananently shorted and due to this equipment will get zero voltage and get protecte3d. Also your house fuse/circuit breaker will go off whenever the surge protector will be connected. Basically once the surge protector has experienced overvoltage it will become useless unless you replace the MOV inside. (There are some MOVs that open instead of shorting. But when one uses these kind of MOV, they will have a warning LED to indicate fault). The surge protector above has a resettable fuse. If this fuse goes off, make sure your voltage is ok, before connecting the equipment and resetting the fuse.

All surge protector based power strips, etc depend on your circuit breaker tripping our house fuse melting before the MOV gets shorted and gets completely burned. They protect the equipment by shorting the mains and hence making zero volts output to the equipment. In this process it starts getting heated up. But the short should cause your circuit breaker to trip or fuse to blow. If it doesn't. the MOV will get heated beyond a point and start burning. So if you are going to base your protection on surge protectors, ensure that your house fuse or circuit breakers are functioning properly. DO NOT, DO NOT, Do not use thick wires to defeat the purpose of fuse.

Continuous Power Dissipation MOVs are only used for transient suppression, and not continuous voltage regulation. Their power rating for continuous current is very low. Their power rating for brief millisecond transients is very high.

Last edited:
I unplug everything if there is a storm starting.
I don’t have any idea about how other types of current-voltage surges happen from the grid. I am curious to learn

The protector will become permananently shorted and due to this equipment will get zero voltage and get protecte3d. Also your house fuse/circuit breaker will go off whenever the surge protector will be connected. Basically once the surge protector has experienced overvoltage it will become useless unless you replace the MOV inside. (There are some MOVs that open instead of shorting. But when one uses these kind of MOV, they will have a warning LED to indicate fault). The surge protector above has a resettable fuse. If this fuse goes off, make sure your voltage is ok, before connecting the equipment and resetting the fuse.

All surge protector based power strips, etc depend on your circuit breaker tripping our house fuse melting before the MOV gets shorted and gets completely burned. They protect the equipment by shorting the mains and hence making zero volts output to the equipment. In this process it starts getting heated up. But the short should cause your circuit breaker to trip or fuse to blow. If it doesn't. the MOV will get heated beyond a point and start burning. So if you are going to base your protection on surge protectors, ensure that your house fuse or circuit breakers are functioning properly. DO NOT, DO NOT, Do not use thick wires to defeat the purpose of fuse.

Thanks for the detailed description

Hello everyone,

I am currently using the following:
Nad C388 (Integrated Amplifier)
JL Audio E110 (Powered subwoofer)
Focal Chora 826 (Floor standing speakers)

I am worried that the power cuts might harm my system. Firstly can it be damaged due to a power cut?

If yes, can you suggest me a good UPS or something to protect my system from the same.
Currently considering Audioquest Power quest 2.
Thank you!!
Consider using power conditioner like surgex it's the best inhave been using the same over 2yrs now

Surgex power conditioner are not MOV based and provide better solution over other MOV based protection systems

Is that good enough?
Against a surge of what origin? For power surges from the grid, possibly good enough. For a direct lightning flash, nothing will protect except physically unplugging the equipment. For a side flash, maybe. But there's no absolute guarantee and I wouldn't bet on it - there are too many variables.

Against a surge of what origin? For power surges from the grid, possibly good enough. For a direct lightning flash, nothing will protect except physically unplugging the equipment. For a side flash, maybe. But there's no absolute guarantee and I wouldn't bet on it - there are too many variables.
Thanks @keith_correa . This is useful. So a double conversion UPS or a CVT plus such a device should provide a safeguard in most situations, except in the event of a direct lightning flash. In addition, will an isolation transformer provide added safety?

In the Magnus brand mentioned by @ankitbhargava earlier, the manufacturer claims "the 40Amps double pole relay present in the home protector disconnects both the phase and neutral of the incoming supply and provides 100% protection". This feature isn't mentioned in the brochures of others. Is this a relevant feature?
Is 160v - 280v and acceptable voltage band? Or is it better to select a device with adjustable band, say 210v - 250v, considering that the device would be connected after the UPS, hence should kick in only if the UPS fails or is bypassed for some reason?

I'll be so glad (others too) if an expert on this subject like @keith_correa or @mbhangui can outline an optimum solution (at a cost not exceeding, say, Rs. 1 lac) for a home audio setup in an area that faces frequent power outages and voltage fluctuations. ( Will be happy to pay a fee in the form of multiple 'thank you' emojis ;) )

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back