UPS/Power conditioner for HIFI systems?

Yes it has an isolation transformer.
I'm not able to find this information, can you please point me to it.

This device is rated at 63A. This is about 15KW at 240V.
I'll be surprised if an isolation transformer found its way in a tiny 4pole MCB package.

hello :)
Yes it has an isolation transformer.
Just to be on safer side and also on suggestion of other expert FMs, I am getting this device installed at Meter level for Over/Under Voltage , over current , surge and leakage protection.
oh..ok thanks for the update.

Please let me know how is it performing? i will also plan to install.

Surges are classified into two - a Switching Impulse from the network that has a rise time of 250 microseconds and a tail of 2500 microseconds. These are important above 220kV.

Lightning Impulse are very fast 1.2 microseconds rise time and a tail of 50 microseconds. These are the ones that affect us consumers. They can strike the lies supplying our houses and that's it.

As you wrote nothing is better than complete disconnection.

The other kind is surge for common folks but are swells or spikes caused by faults in power systems or light loaded transformers with high tap setting etc. For these a properly selected MOV should be good enough.

I totally agree, nothing better than disconnecting everything when we can expect a lightning strike. In my wife's house in Chennai, just about EVERYTHING was burnt (the ones that were switched off, but plugged in as well). Wires, Terminals, pretty much everything had to be redone.

Their house is surround by trees and plants, with a garden in front and large trees at the back. They connected lightning power to the house I think :-D.

They still have not installed a lightning arrestor.

I totally agree, nothing better than disconnecting everything when we can expect a lightning strike. In my wife's house in Chennai, just about EVERYTHING was burnt (the ones that were switched off, but plugged in as well). Wires, Terminals, pretty much everything had to be redone.

Their house is surround by trees and plants, with a garden in front and large trees at the back. They connected lightning power to the house I think :-D.

They still have not installed a lightning arrestor.
Can't say if the trees were the reason. Most probably it is the power line that connected the house to the network.

Trees generally burn down or break into splinter if lightning passes through them. And trees taller than the house in a way protect the house since lightning will strike the tallest object as a leader will emanate from it to connect earth to the cloud.

Can't say if the trees were the reason. Most probably it is the power line that connected the house to the network.

Trees generally burn down or break into splinter if lightning passes through them. And trees taller than the house in a way protect the house since lightning will strike the tallest object as a leader will emanate from it to connect earth to the cloud.

My suspicion with the trees was because they were all touching the house pretty much on all sides + rain for a better connection :D.

I live in a rented-house near my wife's house, and there I it is a different problem. When the apartment was constructed, it was receiving only 92V (nighty two AC volts :D). After a ton of complaints, follow-ups and escalations they got a transformer installed very near by. So the problem is high-voltages.

I moved in to the house about 6 months back. My invertor fried. My microwave fried. I tested the voltages using a multimeter (Fluke) and another one which I mounted on plug points and found it was around 245, but it would go as high as 262. When power returns after a power cut... I found it was around 290 (multiple times). Incandescent bulbs would go very bright for a second or two.

So, for now, I have installed basic spike-protection adaptors -> Stabilizers for just about everything except geysers, so for nothing has at least burnt.

For my audio equipment (Topping E30 which is my currently my beginner-DAC -> early 90s Denon Amps -> Technics/Denon 3-way speakers or Polk Audio A3). All connected to APC Back-Up UPS (1500) which is connected to a 3KVA stabilizer which is connected to the mains. This I did because the fluctuations were making my APC UPS work like a percussion instrument and I will it will fail soon. So far this is is good.

Later, When I move into another house where I will permanently live, I will set up everything to the best/right way possible, with the knowledge I gain from the forum here etc. It is only after that will I upgrade my Audio equipment.

I also visit bangalore every other month and live there for a week or so. There it is a different story, the line from the post to the house is so badly done. It gets disconnected often, and the fluctuations are very bad. The lights flicker. We complained so many times, they would just come 'twist the wires are bit', tap the fuse a bit and would go. They have done this 3 times so far and not ready to fix it correctly. Another time, the earth and live wires somehow got married, and every body in the building had fun experiencing electricity touching anything connected to the wall socket. The electrician who came to fix a got a big shock touching the main board which is made of metal.
So, no hope in fixing things in that house, and will move to some other place in some time.

Hi
These are surge protectors that act on fast wavefronts in general. They also have a clamping voltage rating usually in the order of 400V to 750V depending on what MOV is chosen. Any 240V rated equipment, especially electronics will not withstand long term overvoltages. The usual fluctuations on the network will be lower than this Belkin kind of surge protectors' threshold and they would not do their job. For these fluctuations definitely a stabilizer is the solution. Maybe very fast acting thyristor controlled ones.

As @keith_correa said you need a O/V and U/V cutoff relays. I have seen these in older stabilizer on my mom's fridge. Should be there in all.

Online UPS by virtue of their working principle should not bring these fluctuations to the load as they convert any AC that is fed in to DC before inverting to AC.

Having lived nearly quarter century in a place with excellent voltage regulation it is difficult for me to say more about the practicality of UPS, surge protectors and stabilizer. Happy to learn more from real life experiences you all have in India. Ultimately I may have to settle somewhere there.

Not that we are in heaven 😉. We have had an incident where nearly 400 electricity meters got fried due to voltage rise - that was due to very low loading of network, Ferranti effect of MV cables and distribution transformers at regular tap. The area developer to blame - no takers for buildings so no load on network.
Subbu Sir,
I need a suggestion on power protection for my new AV Gears, I have bought Marantz Cinema 60 recently and connected to Monitor Audio 5.1 BX Bronze Setup + Sony BD Player, earlier I had Marantz 5005 and which is having problem now ( including my Sub) due to power issue , attempted multiple time to get it serviced but not able to do. Earlier I was not using any power protection when I was in Coimbatore, due to that both my AVR (Marantz 5005) and Sub ( Monitor Audio Bronze BX10 ) have burnt and got it rectified, post which I have connected to a stabilizer but after some months running, again both the AVR and Sub have problem

I have gone through the lengthy discussions about the power protection for AV Gears but I am still confused to choose the better choice, hence I have not yet connected my new Marantz Cinema 60 AVR at my present location ( B'lore)

Whether I should go for UPS ( Online double conversion/Sine Wave output) or Servo Stabilizer or Normal Stabilizer?

I spoke to the AVR service persons here in B'lore, someone told me to go for an online ups with Sine Wave output, some one told me to go for a normal stabilizer which is being used for AC ( 1.5 KVA) or Servo.

My power requirement is 1000 W total ( AVR + Sub + TV only), I am not concerned about any power backup time, I am looking for power protection with full potential output from the AV Gears.

At present house here in B'lore, frequent power cut is there but will switch on the Generator manually by maintenance people. One or the other day we are facing power cut 2 or 3 times/day

Subbu Sir,
I need a suggestion on power protection for my new AV Gears, I have bought Marantz Cinema 60 recently and connected to Monitor Audio 5.1 BX Bronze Setup + Sony BD Player, earlier I had Marantz 5005 and which is having problem now ( including my Sub) due to power issue , attempted multiple time to get it serviced but not able to do. Earlier I was not using any power protection when I was in Coimbatore, due to that both my AVR (Marantz 5005) and Sub ( Monitor Audio Bronze BX10 ) have burnt and got it rectified, post which I have connected to a stabilizer but after some months running, again both the AVR and Sub have problem

I have gone through the lengthy discussions about the power protection for AV Gears but I am still confused to choose the better choice, hence I have not yet connected my new Marantz Cinema 60 AVR at my present location ( B'lore)

Whether I should go for UPS ( Online double conversion/Sine Wave output) or Servo Stabilizer or Normal Stabilizer?

I spoke to the AVR service persons here in B'lore, someone told me to go for an online ups with Sine Wave output, some one told me to go for a normal stabilizer which is being used for AC ( 1.5 KVA) or Servo.

My power requirement is 1000 W total ( AVR + Sub + TV only), I am not concerned about any power backup time, I am looking for power protection with full potential output from the AV Gears.

At present house here in B'lore, frequent power cut is there but will switch on the Generator manually by maintenance people. One or the other day we are facing power cut 2 or 3 times/day
Hi

There are many issues in power networks that cause user equipment to fail and that cannot be solved by any of those exotic devices. Voltage surges (a voltage surge is not the usual voltage fluctuation), Neutral earthing issues, floating neutrals, high impedance faults etc. etc. Unless you can find out what caused your equipment failure, you cannot choose a solution. It may be a lightning surge that no UPS can save your AV from.

From what little I know UPS however pure sine wave they claim inject harmonics into your AV because they work as AC/DC - DC/AC and it is electronics that generates the final "50Hz" that will contain 150Hz, 250Hz, 350Hz, 450Hz etc. etc. that may cause your power supply transformers to overheat. Electronically generated "50 Hz" cannot match the sine wave of a rotating machine. Yes, these UPS will prevent shutdowns of your AV equipment.

And for me with a simple stereo it don't matter if we had power shutdowns frequently. Please read the last bit of my post. Fortunately I live in a place with virtually no voltage fluctuation. Hence, I am not well versed with what is available in India. Here we use UPS for IT equipment and such critical ones. We don't have voltage stabilizers for our fridge, a/c and the like even.

Hi

There are many issues in power networks that cause user equipment to fail and that cannot be solved by any of those exotic devices. Voltage surges (a voltage surge is not the usual voltage fluctuation), Neutral earthing issues, floating neutrals, high impedance faults etc. etc. Unless you can find out what caused your equipment failure, you cannot choose a solution. It may be a lightning surge that no UPS can save your AV from.

From what little I know UPS however pure sine wave they claim inject harmonics into your AV because they work as AC/DC - DC/AC and it is electronics that generates the final "50Hz" that will contain 150Hz, 250Hz, 350Hz, 450Hz etc. etc. that may cause your power supply transformers to overheat. Electronically generated "50 Hz" cannot match the sine wave of a rotating machine. Yes, these UPS will prevent shutdowns of your AV equipment.

And for me with a simple stereo it don't matter if we had power shutdowns frequently. Please read the last bit of my post. Fortunately I live in a place with virtually no voltage fluctuation. Hence, I am not well versed with what is available in India. Here we use UPS for IT equipment and such critical ones. We don't have voltage stabilizers for our fridge, a/c and the like even.
Thank You Subbu Sir,

I have decided to buy a VGuard stabilizer of 6 Amps ( Digi 200 model ) which will be connected only to my new AVR Cinema 60( 650 Watts ), I have already got one more VGuard stabilizer of 3 amps (Crystal Plus) which can be connected to my Subwoofer (Monitor Audio Bronze BX10 ....200 Watts) and 43 inch TV + Sony Blue Ray Player+ Tata play HD Set top box.

My connection would be like this
1.AC Power Socket 1 (5 Amps)> Digi 200 VGuard stabilizer>spike buster>AVR Cinema 60
2.AC Power Socket 2 (5 Amps)>Crystal Plus VGuard stabilizer>Spike buster with individual socket switch>Subwoofer+TV+BD Player+Set top box

AC power sockets are connected to 10 A MCB

Hope it will solve my problem and fullfill the requirements.

If anyone have further suggestions on this setup, please reply.

Thanks,
Ravi.

Subbu Sir,

If you have sufficient budget and wish to invest in the best in the beginning, There is no better option than static stabilizer to curb violent voltage fluctuations.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back