Vinyl I am listening to...

I only buy on discogs, amazing global records catalogue especially if you are interested in buying audiophile records from Analogue productions, Acoustic sounds, Speakers corner etc...There are sellers in Europe who will give free shipping if you buy for a certain min amount eg. 150 EUR. The total cost in rupees has always been cheaper in comparison to buying in India, for me the math works out to be min two additional records for the same amount I would spend in India
How much do you pay on duty in India?

After a long time took out my copy of Micheal Jackson ' Thriller'. A superb dynamic LP which brings out his best, " The Girl is Mine",(with Paul McCartney), "Billie Jean", "Beat It" were all chart toppers. Still a nice listen.
The second LP was Olivia Newton John ' Have You Never Been Mellow'. A decent Gramaphone Company of India recording. With a fine collection of songs including " Please Mr Please" and " Goodbye Again", this fine country oriented singer was best remembered for the movie ' Grease'. Your voice will be missed ,lady. RIP.

Two great reissues I picked up recently.

67yey6y5f0h91.jpg

I do wonder if any of us here have heard B.J. Thomas, an American singer, more known for his wonderful number "Hey won't you play another somebody done somebody wrong song" ? A big hit in the seventies, the singer also had a few other lesser known albums. A loss because I revisited his LP with the above song and it is truly a nice listen. Do hear it, on any format.

Vivaldi Concertos - played by Pinchas Zukerman. This is from 1973. The sound is so different (grander) than newer recordings of these compositions. The Concerto in A Minor for 2 Violins in this - one of my favourite pieces - shows that Vivaldi does not have to be played fast to sound good. It's unfortunate though that Zukerman made some racially insensitive comments last year while teaching students, for which he later apologised.

IMG_20220828_184724.jpgIMG_20220828_184729.jpg

Today it was Mohd Rafi 'All Time Greats' ,a double album set with some of his iconic numbers. Take a trip down memory lane,easily ! Next album was entirely a different genre: 'Parallel Lines' by Blondie, which included the hit 'Heart of Glass'.
This album did sound a bit 'bright' and sibilant on my favourite, for old records, AT 91 carbon fiber cantilever cart, so I opened the top and 'potted' the cart with epoxy! This delicate procedure can also ruin the cart. However after the procedure my old ears could not make out much difference, other than a slight clarity in the treble. Cart works perfectly, though.

As we get ready for the festive season it was "Beautiful Noise" by Neil Diamond. The iconic numbers and superb recording made this a worthy listen.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back