Vinyl I am listening to...

Tonight it is..
Cream - Disraeli Gears
MS03NTcyLmpwZWc.jpeg

@acemachine26 that is a very nice and attractive looking LP storage. Is it custom done or you picked it up ready made?
Thanks. This is the Ikea Kallax. This red version isn't available in India yet but the black, white, grey and oak versions are.

Disraeli Cream. Classic. I own a much heard Gramaphone Co of India copy. Incidentally if you read the line Disraeli Gears on the LP, story goes that someone could not pronounce the word 'derailleur ' gears,as fitted on bicycles, as a sort of humour! Must read about this on internet, for those further interested.

Should have been Disraeli Gears : Cream, not Disraeli Cream ! Further to the above post, the story goes that Ginger Baker , their drummer, was accompanying Eric Clapton, to buy a bike with derailleur gears, when one of their roadies, driving their car said, " Oh yeah, Disraeli Gears." The Cream members are found this very humourous, and thus came about the title.

Mr Goose here! Again.

I don’t mind being called Goose. You can oft find me in a park blending in with the birds, keeping anonymous, an unusual suspect.

Afternoon spin with Sambandh, OP Nayyar-1969-Ring Angel Records.

Is this one of OP Nayyar’s finest albums? There are certainly stronger ones, but a top 5 spot for sure? Has the finest Chal Akela-Mukesh, a song with more complexity than first thought. He Jagat Pita Parmatma-Hemant Kumar/Asha Bholse, a profound song. Whole album is dark and brooding.

Goose approves! 🦆

Attachments

• 757D95F6-DF06-4D88-B81C-E2B859158311.jpeg
    757D95F6-DF06-4D88-B81C-E2B859158311.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 13
Sambandh was a very intense movie starring Deb Mukherjee. It had more than its share of songs, with 'Chal Akela' being remembered for it poignancy ( if that could describe this song!). Recall that it was a big hit when I was a child. A nice choice G. Let me try to locate my 45 rpm!

Sambandh was a very intense movie starring Deb Mukherjee. It had more than its share of songs, with 'Chal Akela' being remembered for it poignancy ( if that could describe this song!). Recall that it was a big hit when I was a child. A nice choice G. Let me try to locate my 45 rpm!
Totally right GS! All the songs within are superb. I read somewhere OPN called it his ‘life’s best work’. Perhaps it’s poignancy kept it out of the best hits lists people compile.

After watching a TV program featuring Dharmendra and Mumtaz, and listening to some of their songs, ,I could not but hellp taking out my well worn LP" Mere Humdum Mere Dost", (1968). All classic songs, including "Hui shaam unka khayal aa gaya," "Hamen to ho Gaya hai pyar", and all others. Laxmikant Pyarelal and Majrooh at their finest.

After watching a TV program featuring Dharmendra and Mumtaz, and listening to some of their songs, ,I could not but hellp taking out my well worn LP" Mere Humdum Mere Dost", (1968). All classic songs, including "Hui shaam unka khayal aa gaya," "Hamen to ho Gaya hai pyar", and all others. Laxmikant Pyarelal and Majrooh at their finest.

Really nice album. I like LP’s work of the 60’s more so than as time passed. I like their ‘space’ in the sound of the 60’s, sounds clearer and super melodious.

Thank you GG. In fact some 60's recordings, though mono, are surprisingly good. 'CID', 'Kismet', 'Hum Dono' &'Waqt' come to mind. There are many more. Ofcourse, these records usually require a specific cartridge like Shure M75, Philips EG1400, AT 936, Classic 700 and .7 mil spherical stylus to sound best. The old ceramics carts also had a lovely tone. Unfortunately I do not have a 'true' magnetic mono cart to play them with.
On a nostalgic note, I do remember travelling by 'Choti line' train from Jabalpur to Gondia in 1976, with some excellent scenery enroute. Sadly this line now does not exist. Gondia must have changed also.

Thank you GG. In fact some 60's recordings, though mono, are surprisingly good. 'CID', 'Kismet', 'Hum Dono' &'Waqt' come to mind. There are many more. Ofcourse, these records usually require a specific cartridge like Shure M75, Philips EG1400, AT 936, Classic 700 and .7 mil spherical stylus to sound best. The old ceramics carts also had a lovely tone. Unfortunately I do not have a 'true' magnetic mono cart to play them with.
On a nostalgic note, I do remember travelling by 'Choti line' train from Jabalpur to Gondia in 1976, with some excellent scenery enroute. Sadly this line now does not exist. Gondia must have changed also.

Great write-up. Just wanted to add Shure M55E cart in this line-up which could create a magic from these mono records especially from 7 inch EPs and SPs. I'm using with JICO styli.

I am from Gondia Sir. Yes it had changed much as people says. You are always welcome to Gondia.

Unfortunately I do not have a 'true' magnetic mono cart to play them with.

I have those LPs that you mention and yes , the quality is very good. However, please don't play them with a true mono mag cart, as the groove size is .7mil.
A true mono may have a 1 mil stylus and may not allow vertical movement in the suspension, this could damage the grooves.

Regards,

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back