Which CDP to buy

Hi Amit,
U have changed to the drawing room from the bedroom as its larger i guess? Hence the change from mini monitor to largish SM?
Very different speakers. Pro acs have super 'tone'. Heard the signature 8 just a couple of days ago and they are wonderful tiny speakers. Cant expect them to go down low but rest is very good.
Yes u are welcome to call whenever on 98210 34414.
Rgds

Dinyaar, I agree with you. ProAc has super tone and zing. I have listened ProAc 1SC pairing with Cyrus Pre+Power amp. It was wonderful. In fact, I am still in dilema between ProAc 1SC and BE-718. I will have to go to Bangalore once more for audition of both. The only thing bothering me for Proac is requirement of super heavy stand.

Thanks
Amit

I purchased the DAC used in his lapucera design and the dac is currently at Viren's place. You may audition it (though without the tube output stage as yet) at his place if you happen to go there for Amity audition :)

regards

Hi Anm
How you are planning to couple the DAC with transport? I may need to talk with you. Can I call you today or on Sunday? Also, I need to understand your suggestion of Squeezebox with IPod as remote for my bedroom PC. I have an Ipod touch, which is used by my younger son.

Thanks
Amit

amitnoida, some excellent suggestions above.My feel is that from a budget point of view you should be looking at the >50K limit to really do justice to your setup..

I would recommend going for a one box CDP over a DAC/Transport.... i have a dac/transport combination and the whole thing about power chords, digital cable and their impact on sound makes it seem like a better option to go for a 1 BOX !
..unless of course you plan to have another source like an HDD transport as well and want to share the DAC stage

Dinyaar, I agree with you. ProAc has super tone and zing. I have listened ProAc 1SC pairing with Cyrus Pre+Power amp. It was wonderful. In fact, I am still in dilema between ProAc 1SC and BE-718. I will have to go to Bangalore once more for audition of both. The only thing bothering me for Proac is requirement of super heavy stand.

Thanks
Amit

Amit the stand is not a problem really. MS is relatively cheap!!!!Adding mass will not be a problem and IMO the requirement of a heavy stand should in NO WAY swing u away from a Pro Ac.
BTW i have heard a few tiny pro acs (various mini monitors) and have seen them on the regular run of the mill stands. I guess the logic of using a heavy stand is to augment the bass in any tiny speaker as that can possibly be the only shortfall.
But the BE 718 is a different beast entirely. More a Dyna kind of sound but maybe a bit more subtle than the current Dyna (Focus)
Have u heard any of the response series FS by Proac? Another good speaker though i am unsure of the pricing.
Rgds

Amit:

A Squeezebox is a elegant solution for streaming audio across the house. There are other products such as Sonos, but for the price, a Squeezebox is unbeatable. You can keep your music server/HTPC/PC anywhere you want, and listen to music anywhere else in the house. The quality of music will depend upon the associated equipment - amplifier, speakers, etc.

There are dedicated music servers available such as Olive's Opus 4, but they are yet unattractive in price. A PC is a more elegant solution with limitless expansion possibilities.

In addition to the above, there are a number of reasons to seriously consider using a PC based system over a dedicated CDP.

1. The New USB

We have been looking at USB as a not so sexy technology, but that is going to change. In a few years, USB may make all other connection types redundant. USB 3.0, dubbed Superspeed, is ready to deliver 3.2 gigabits per second of actual data, In addition, USB 3.0 is full duplex, meaning it can transfer data at full speed in both directions. USB 3.0 will bring a number of advantages to audio video:

a. USB 3.0 is fast enough to transfer 1080P signals without any compression. For movies, this means you can store and transfer data 'live' and in real time.

b. For audio, you can store and play uncompressed WAV files. In addition, since USB 3.0 is full duplex, the transmitting station can actually send a checksum that can be used by the receiving station to verify the validity of data packets. Suddenly what was so common in data networking will become common in audio transfer. An external DAC can, for example, request a re-read of the audio file if it is unhappy with what it has received. This will bring external DACs to be as good or even better that on-board DACs on current CDPs. And, given the fact that data does not change irrespective of how many times you read it, this combination may beat a disc based player hands down.

c. USB 3.0 carries 150mA as against the current 100mA of trickle charge per port. As against the max of 500mA for USB 2.0, USB 3.0 can carry 900mA. This could mean the removal of external power sources for sensitive items such as DACs.

d. USB 3.0 will most probably replace HDMI, making it the single connection between all units in the player-amplifier chain.

2. The New WiFi.

By 2012, two new protocols are being introduced - 802.11ac and 802.11ad. Both these can carry data at 1 gbps or faster over the air. This makes the possibility of having central media servers even better with the capability of streaming even 1080P signals anywhere across the house.

802.11ac is an update over 802.11n. With 802.11ac, networking will move from a max 600mbps to more than 1 gbps. At such speeds, you will have the capacity to actually transmit multiple streams - meaning you could be playing different songs in different rooms from the same server.

802.11ad goes one step further. Leaving behind the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless spectrum, 802.11ad has adopted the 60GHz spectrum. Since there is no other user in this spectrum, you can stream data across multiple channels at speeds even greater than 1 gbps. This brings in the possibility of sending and receiving uncompressed audio and video signals.

The combination of 802.11ac and 802.11ad coupled with USB 3.0 will make a central media server the in thing over the next few years. I would not be surprised if the compact disc dies with the entry of these technologies. Software owners will have to find other ways of selling their content. Maybe a flash drive in stores, and, of course, paid downloading.

3. DAC

DACs are becoming very common place and, fortunately, less expensive. Every now and then, a new product comes into the market that makes you sit up and take notice. One such product is the Music Streamer Plus from HRT (High Resolution Technologies web site). A small box, the HRT MS+ has just three connections - an USB on one end for input, and two analog RCA connectors on the other end for output. No power, no controls, nothing. The HRT has the following specs:

• Single-box DAC analog converter.
  • Formats supported: all PCM-output audio codecs (AIFF, WAV, MP3, etc.).
  • Digital input jack: USB only (type B plug).
  • Analog output jacks:
  • RCA. Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz, +0/-1.7dB.
  • Maximum output voltage: 2.25V.
  • Signal/noise ratio: 107dB, A-weighted, ref. full output.
  • Power requirement (via USB bus): 250mA.

Internally, the HTR uses a 16-bit PCM2706 as a USB transreceiver. The actual DAC is done by a higher quality 24-bit PCM1794 which has it's own 8x oversampling and digital filtering. Current to voltage conversion is done by dual-differential NE5534 op-amps. There is also a Burr-Brown OPA2132, a dual op-amp driver for other tasks.

This is what Art Dudley of Stereophile has to say about the HRT MS+ in the November issue of Stereophile.

QUOTE=Art Dudley - Stereophile, November 2009
Every now and then an affordable product comes along thats so good, even wealthy shoppers want it. Past examples in domestic audio include the Rega RB300 tonearm, the original Quicksilver Mono amplifier, the Grace F9E phono cartridge - even Sonys unwitting CD player, the original PlayStation. Based on word of mouth alone, one might add the HRT Music Streamer+ to that lauded list.

Speaking of incongruities, one might also blush at the thought of comparing any budget product with one that costs 12 times as much. For better or worse, thats what happened when I pitted HRTs Music Streamer+ ($299) against the Wavelength Cosecant USB D/A converter ($3500). The motorist whose first car was a Ferrari can be forgiven a certain perspective; happily, the Music Streamer+ proved to be more Mazda Miata than Dodge Neon.

The MS+ combined solid musical basics - very good timing, momentum, and drama - with a sound that softened rather than spotlit the flaws in weaker recordings. It also had less openness and air than either the Wavelength Cosecant or my Sony SCD-777ES disc player, and its sense of spatial depth was modest rather than abundant.

That said, the Music Streamer+ was consistently satisfying in its own right. On "Queen Jane Approximately," from Bob Dylans Highway 61 Revisited (CD, Columbia CH 90324), the HRT converter played the song with good musical flow-the rhythm section retained a sense of leaning into the music rather than plodding along-and without a trace of the top-end glare that has, in my experience, followed that particular disc to other players. By contrast, the Wavelength Cosecant widened the range of various sonic distinctions: The vocal emerged a good deal farther from the mix, as did various nuances of playing-the arpeggiated electric-guitar chords in particular-and spatial depth was distinctly greater.

The same sets of qualities followed the products through other types of music. When I listened to Hilary Hahns recording of Vaughan Williams The Lark Ascending, with Sir Colin Davis and the London Symphony Orchestra (CD, Deutsche Grammophon 28947 48732-6), the sound through the MS+ was fl atter overall: dynamically, spatially, and even texturally, the solo instrument in particular seeming a bit veiled when compared with the performance of the Cosecant. Notably, however, the MS+ did a fine job with low-level details, and very capably retrieved most of the room sound attached to Hahns violin. In a similar vein, the MS+ uncovered all of the exotic percussion and other soundscape embellishments from Pink Floyds "Remember a Day," from Relics (EMI/Toshiba TOCP-65737), and did a consistently good job of unraveling lyrics from pop music of all styles and pedigrees.

As with so many other music lovers, poor-sounding records account for a large part of my collection; thankfully, the Music Streamer+ served most of them well. The glaring flaws of early digital found full flower in that first wave of CDs by the Beatles, of which A Hard Days Night (Parlophone CDP 7 46437 2) was surely the worst. (Just listen to the high-frequency artifacts that pile up around the cymbals in "Ill Be Back"!) [I thought that was Arnold's punch line. I did not know the Beatles had sais it before] The MS+ rendered those and similar recordings as tolerable as Ive heard, without too much softening of vocal and instrumental timbres. Only flaw when dullness was itself the record's flaw- Richie Havens recent and otherwise superb Nobody Left to Crown (CD, Verve Forecast B0011631-02) comes to mind-did the HRT converter confound rather than enhance my enjoyment.

Incidentally, on some pop-music recordings in particular, the Music Streamer+ seemed to have a shade more bass content than the Wavelength Cosecant. Plucked cellos and harps throughout Joanna Newsoms Ys (CD, Drag City DC303CD) sounded weightier with the MS+, as did the electric bass on the aforementioned Dylan and Beatles albums. The effect was slight, and without such penalties as timing errors or a lessening of detail.

Four final notes: The Music Streamer+ did not invert the polarity of its output signal; its output voltage was slightly lower than that of the other USB DACs Ive tested so far; it was blessedly free of hum; an it required a week or so of frequent use before sounding its best.

Conclusions
So much for an objective description. Now for an unabashedly subjective conclusion: Buy it.

If you own a computer, if you dont already own a USB DAC, and especially if you cant afford the state of the art-either because youve already spent too much on a high-end CD player or you just plain dont have that kind of money for hi-fi gear-then stop whatever youre doing and buy a High Resolution Technologies Music Streamer+ right now. Given the musical pleasure it can bring, this moderately imperfect device is immoderately underpriced.

Certain levels of performance can be had only for tens of thousands of dollars, and thats as it should be. The HRT Music Streamer+ offers something that can be had only for less: a peaceful refuge from the expensive storm of digital progress. The MS+ is a well-made product thats also enduringly effective. That may not be as sexy a word as powerful or rare or exclusive, but its one whose significance is likelier than most to increase over time.

Would I spend $299 for access to exponentially more music than I have, played back with good if not great sound? You bet. If theres another way in which so little money can bring so much music to an existing system, I havent heard it.
END QUOTE

At $299, an HRT combined with a PC playing WAV or FLAC files will, I am sure, give most CDPs a run for their money. HRT MS+ is only an example. There are many other such products available in the market.

I have over 400GB of music files on various hard disks. I am also ripping all my CDs, even the new ones I buy. The concept of playing music bu genre without having to find, place, and pack CDs, to me, seems an elegant solution. As I said, elsewhere, there is certain amount of ground work needed, but once that is done, it is as simple as using a mouse and getting great quality music played for you.

Cheers

would i spend $299 for access to exponentially more music than i have, played back with good if not great sound? You bet. If theres another way in which so little money can bring so much music to an existing system, i havent heard it. Cheers

i would and i will!!!:)

Cranky, your suggestion on wifi connectivity was not understood by me earlier due to my ilimited knowledge about modern electronic gadgets. Today after reading Venkat's elaborate posting, I could understand your suggestion.

If you please suggest the full components chain to connect my PC to my stereo setup (Speaker + Amp) in another room.

~1L: Logitech Transporter.

One of the best converters in the business, with no audiophile pretensions of being handmade by vestal virgins. Connectible to a server over wifi, and with convenience of all your music on one interface. Would be my personal choice, and it's literally got no upgrade cycle, you'll never need another player. Check out the Stereophile review. It just plays, adding nothing of its own.

Hello Guys,
today I did a A/B test with my cambridge audio azur 540D dvd player whih I use it as a cd player and Squeezebox bothe connected with analog cables to my Lyrita pre amp. I was playing ripped wav files through squeezebox. The cd player beats squeezebox hands down. They both cost roughly the same. The soudstage and depth with the cd player was much better as compared to squeezebox.I also noticed the gain with the squeeze box is also less . I just use windows media player to rip as wav files. Perhaps I might get a better result with a better ripping technology.
Thanks.

Thanks Mahi. That was precise my worry. A good CD player with wired connection vis-a-vis squeezebox and wireless connectivity.

If some more memebers can share their experiences, please.

Hello Guys,
today I did a A/B test with my cambridge audio azur 540D dvd player whih I use it as a cd player and Squeezebox bothe connected with analog cables to my Lyrita pre amp. I was playing ripped wav files through squeezebox. The cd player beats squeezebox hands down. They both cost roughly the same. The soudstage and depth with the cd player was much better as compared to squeezebox.I also noticed the gain with the squeeze box is also less . I just use windows media player to rip as wav files. Perhaps I might get a better result with a better ripping technology.
Thanks.

Looking at your entire system, you an also think about this, it will solve a lot of problems

PC/Squeezebox/CD Transport,etc -> Peachtree Nova DAC + tube/SS Pre -> Amp -> speakers

The Nova solves the integration problem between different sources - could be anything from Coax to USB to Analog RCA in, has a provision of plenty of inputs, has a very good DAC (ESS Sabre) and has the option of select a tube or solid state (both built in) pre. From here you can go into an external amp. The quality of the DAC is good enough to challenge players in the Rs 40-50K.

cheers

Hello Guys,
Thanks.

And the CA 540D v2 is not a dedicated CDP, it's actually a DVDP but has a decent Cirrus Logic audio DAC and costs only around 15-20K. It plays audio CDs very well and many people including Mahiruha use it as a CDP.

Thanks Mahiruha for the information. I wanted impressions from members on this player more than a year ago in this forum because I found interesting info on this from the net (compared to the the DV99, the 540d can't play SACD DVD-A etc). I actually wanted to consider this player as a DVDP which can also double up as a decent second CDP for our bedroom system that I have been thinking about for some time.

Another thing I like to say about a cheap transport plus a DAC is that if the transport is not up to the mark it would make a good DAC absolutely pointless. I have done this test quite extensively at home (because my CDP can also be used as a stand-alone DAC) using my 5K Sony upscaling DVDP as transport (with both decent quality coaxial and optical cables) and have reported the results at least twice in this forum.

Mahiruha, please check your PM-box.

Regards.

I purchased the DAC used in his lapucera design and the dac is currently at Viren's place. You may audition it (though without the tube output stage as yet) at his place if you happen to go there for Amity audition :)

regards

That's cool! How much did you pay for it? How do you plan to use it? How does it sound? Did you try upgrading the op-amp to the LM4562? It's $4 on e-bay!

Amit:

A Squeezebox is a elegant solution for streaming audio across the house. There are other products such as Sonos, but for the price, a Squeezebox is unbeatable. You can keep your music server/HTPC/PC anywhere you want, and listen to music anywhere else in the house. The quality of music will depend upon the associated equipment - amplifier, speakers, etc.

There are dedicated music servers available such as Olive's Opus 4, but they are yet unattractive in price. A PC is a more elegant solution with limitless expansion possibilities.

In addition to the above, there are a number of reasons to seriously consider using a PC based system over a dedicated CDP.

1. The New USB

We have been looking at USB as a not so sexy technology, but that is going to change. In a few years, USB may make all other connection types redundant. USB 3.0, dubbed Superspeed, is ready to deliver 3.2 gigabits per second of actual data, In addition, USB 3.0 is full duplex, meaning it can transfer data at full speed in both directions. USB 3.0 will bring a number of advantages to audio video:

a. USB 3.0 is fast enough to transfer 1080P signals without any compression. For movies, this means you can store and transfer data 'live' and in real time.

b. For audio, you can store and play uncompressed WAV files. In addition, since USB 3.0 is full duplex, the transmitting station can actually send a checksum that can be used by the receiving station to verify the validity of data packets. Suddenly what was so common in data networking will become common in audio transfer. An external DAC can, for example, request a re-read of the audio file if it is unhappy with what it has received. This will bring external DACs to be as good or even better that on-board DACs on current CDPs. And, given the fact that data does not change irrespective of how many times you read it, this combination may beat a disc based player hands down.

c. USB 3.0 carries 150mA as against the current 100mA of trickle charge per port. As against the max of 500mA for USB 2.0, USB 3.0 can carry 900mA. This could mean the removal of external power sources for sensitive items such as DACs.

d. USB 3.0 will most probably replace HDMI, making it the single connection between all units in the player-amplifier chain.

2. The New WiFi.

By 2012, two new protocols are being introduced - 802.11ac and 802.11ad. Both these can carry data at 1 gbps or faster over the air. This makes the possibility of having central media servers even better with the capability of streaming even 1080P signals anywhere across the house.

802.11ac is an update over 802.11n. With 802.11ac, networking will move from a max 600mbps to more than 1 gbps. At such speeds, you will have the capacity to actually transmit multiple streams - meaning you could be playing different songs in different rooms from the same server.

802.11ad goes one step further. Leaving behind the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless spectrum, 802.11ad has adopted the 60GHz spectrum. Since there is no other user in this spectrum, you can stream data across multiple channels at speeds even greater than 1 gbps. This brings in the possibility of sending and receiving uncompressed audio and video signals.

The combination of 802.11ac and 802.11ad coupled with USB 3.0 will make a central media server the in thing over the next few years. I would not be surprised if the compact disc dies with the entry of these technologies. Software owners will have to find other ways of selling their content. Maybe a flash drive in stores, and, of course, paid downloading.

3. DAC

DACs are becoming very common place and, fortunately, less expensive. Every now and then, a new product comes into the market that makes you sit up and take notice. One such product is the Music Streamer Plus from HRT (High Resolution Technologies web site). A small box, the HRT MS+ has just three connections - an USB on one end for input, and two analog RCA connectors on the other end for output. No power, no controls, nothing. The HRT has the following specs:

• Single-box DAC analog converter.
  • Formats supported: all PCM-output audio codecs (AIFF, WAV, MP3, etc.).
  • Digital input jack: USB only (type B plug).
  • Analog output jacks:
  • RCA. Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz, +0/-1.7dB.
  • Maximum output voltage: 2.25V.
  • Signal/noise ratio: 107dB, A-weighted, ref. full output.
  • Power requirement (via USB bus): 250mA.

Internally, the HTR uses a 16-bit PCM2706 as a USB transreceiver. The actual DAC is done by a higher quality 24-bit PCM1794 which has it's own 8x oversampling and digital filtering. Current to voltage conversion is done by dual-differential NE5534 op-amps. There is also a Burr-Brown OPA2132, a dual op-amp driver for other tasks.

This is what Art Dudley of Stereophile has to say about the HRT MS+ in the November issue of Stereophile.

QUOTE=Art Dudley - Stereophile, November 2009
Every now and then an affordable product comes along thats so good, even wealthy shoppers want it. Past examples in domestic audio include the Rega RB300 tonearm, the original Quicksilver Mono amplifier, the Grace F9E phono cartridge - even Sonys unwitting CD player, the original PlayStation. Based on word of mouth alone, one might add the HRT Music Streamer+ to that lauded list.

Speaking of incongruities, one might also blush at the thought of comparing any budget product with one that costs 12 times as much. For better or worse, thats what happened when I pitted HRTs Music Streamer+ ($299) against the Wavelength Cosecant USB D/A converter ($3500). The motorist whose first car was a Ferrari can be forgiven a certain perspective; happily, the Music Streamer+ proved to be more Mazda Miata than Dodge Neon.

The MS+ combined solid musical basics - very good timing, momentum, and drama - with a sound that softened rather than spotlit the flaws in weaker recordings. It also had less openness and air than either the Wavelength Cosecant or my Sony SCD-777ES disc player, and its sense of spatial depth was modest rather than abundant.

That said, the Music Streamer+ was consistently satisfying in its own right. On "Queen Jane Approximately," from Bob Dylans Highway 61 Revisited (CD, Columbia CH 90324), the HRT converter played the song with good musical flow-the rhythm section retained a sense of leaning into the music rather than plodding along-and without a trace of the top-end glare that has, in my experience, followed that particular disc to other players. By contrast, the Wavelength Cosecant widened the range of various sonic distinctions: The vocal emerged a good deal farther from the mix, as did various nuances of playing-the arpeggiated electric-guitar chords in particular-and spatial depth was distinctly greater.

The same sets of qualities followed the products through other types of music. When I listened to Hilary Hahns recording of Vaughan Williams The Lark Ascending, with Sir Colin Davis and the London Symphony Orchestra (CD, Deutsche Grammophon 28947 48732-6), the sound through the MS+ was fl atter overall: dynamically, spatially, and even texturally, the solo instrument in particular seeming a bit veiled when compared with the performance of the Cosecant. Notably, however, the MS+ did a fine job with low-level details, and very capably retrieved most of the room sound attached to Hahns violin. In a similar vein, the MS+ uncovered all of the exotic percussion and other soundscape embellishments from Pink Floyds "Remember a Day," from Relics (EMI/Toshiba TOCP-65737), and did a consistently good job of unraveling lyrics from pop music of all styles and pedigrees.

As with so many other music lovers, poor-sounding records account for a large part of my collection; thankfully, the Music Streamer+ served most of them well. The glaring flaws of early digital found full flower in that first wave of CDs by the Beatles, of which A Hard Days Night (Parlophone CDP 7 46437 2) was surely the worst. (Just listen to the high-frequency artifacts that pile up around the cymbals in "Ill Be Back"!) [I thought that was Arnold's punch line. I did not know the Beatles had sais it before] The MS+ rendered those and similar recordings as tolerable as Ive heard, without too much softening of vocal and instrumental timbres. Only flaw when dullness was itself the record's flaw- Richie Havens recent and otherwise superb Nobody Left to Crown (CD, Verve Forecast B0011631-02) comes to mind-did the HRT converter confound rather than enhance my enjoyment.

Incidentally, on some pop-music recordings in particular, the Music Streamer+ seemed to have a shade more bass content than the Wavelength Cosecant. Plucked cellos and harps throughout Joanna Newsoms Ys (CD, Drag City DC303CD) sounded weightier with the MS+, as did the electric bass on the aforementioned Dylan and Beatles albums. The effect was slight, and without such penalties as timing errors or a lessening of detail.

Four final notes: The Music Streamer+ did not invert the polarity of its output signal; its output voltage was slightly lower than that of the other USB DACs Ive tested so far; it was blessedly free of hum; an it required a week or so of frequent use before sounding its best.

Conclusions
So much for an objective description. Now for an unabashedly subjective conclusion: Buy it.

If you own a computer, if you dont already own a USB DAC, and especially if you cant afford the state of the art-either because youve already spent too much on a high-end CD player or you just plain dont have that kind of money for hi-fi gear-then stop whatever youre doing and buy a High Resolution Technologies Music Streamer+ right now. Given the musical pleasure it can bring, this moderately imperfect device is immoderately underpriced.

Certain levels of performance can be had only for tens of thousands of dollars, and thats as it should be. The HRT Music Streamer+ offers something that can be had only for less: a peaceful refuge from the expensive storm of digital progress. The MS+ is a well-made product thats also enduringly effective. That may not be as sexy a word as powerful or rare or exclusive, but its one whose significance is likelier than most to increase over time.

Would I spend $299 for access to exponentially more music than I have, played back with good if not great sound? You bet. If theres another way in which so little money can bring so much music to an existing system, I havent heard it.
END QUOTE

At $299, an HRT combined with a PC playing WAV or FLAC files will, I am sure, give most CDPs a run for their money. HRT MS+ is only an example. There are many other such products available in the market.

I have over 400GB of music files on various hard disks. I am also ripping all my CDs, even the new ones I buy. The concept of playing music bu genre without having to find, place, and pack CDs, to me, seems an elegant solution. As I said, elsewhere, there is certain amount of ground work needed, but once that is done, it is as simple as using a mouse and getting great quality music played for you.

Cheers
Dear Venkat, can we use a cd player as a stand alone DAC? If so, what to do in the player?
regards.

Dear Venkat, can we use a cd player as a stand alone DAC? If so, what to do in the player?

A CDP cannot be used as a DAC as it does not have any inputs - analogue or digital.

Theoretically (purely for suggestion), if you can open a CDP, create a digital input, and send that to the DAC part of the internal circuit, you can use a CDP as a DAC. But that will be impossible to do as the DAC processor will be very tightly integrated on the electronics board of the CDP. Most CDPs have a single board. Using or making an external DAC will be much easier than ripping the internal electronics of a CDP.

Cheers

PS. My information is not entirely correct as mentioned by Mahi and Asit below. Some CDPs such as CA740 and 840 do have inputs and can be used as a DAC. So now everything is a question of cost and performance. Thanks Mahi and Asit for correcting me.

Last edited:
Hello sunder,
without going into the details I would like to argue one simple case why somebody would want to use cd player for the dac part of it. If a cd player has avery good dac it is bound to have a good transport. Some higher model cambridge audio cd player offers to use the dac portion only but I don't see much value in it unless somebody is determined to connect a computer based system with digital out with it. It will be more of a convenience issue rather than sound quality issue.
Thnaks.

Hi Venkat,

Some CDPs nowadays can be used as standalone DACs, e.g., the CA 740c and 840c. These CDPs have two sets of digital inputs. Each input can be either coaxial or optical. The digital inputs can be from other digital sources like a CD transport or a computer and support up to 24 bit / 192 KHz digital data. The DAC then upsamples the data to 24 bit / 384 KHz.

I have the 740c. I use it as a standalone DAC when watching movies. My Sony DVDP upsamples the DVD video signal and sends it through an HDMI cable to a Sony Bravia TV while the multichannel audio is first made into 2 channel LPCM data inside the DVDP and then sent through a coaxial cable to one of the digital inputs of my 740c. The 740c then performs digital to analog conversion using its DAC. The 2-channel analog audio out of the 740c is then connected through an analog interconnect to one of my amps (usually the Harmon Kardon stereo amp is used for movies, but at times depending on the mood or for movies like the Sound of Music or Jodha Akbar or Amadeus with a lot of good music/songs even the Leben is used). This way the movie sound is a lot better than connecting the analog output of the DVDP to the amp directly.

You must be knowing this, because I discussed this with you a long time ago in some thread. I even posted my communication with the Cambridge Audio people on how to get the multichannel audio signal converted to a stereo simulated surround mode. I remember they (the CA people) were very prompt, and replied my e-mail within half an hour.

Regards
Asit

I have shortlisted Marantz SA8003. As per review, it is solidly built with good sound, quite good looking also. It has front USB connectivity and I will be able to connect my Ipod touch.

Yesterday I went to Viren's place to listen to his new Amity speaker. He used Marantz 5001. It was quite ok musically. Marantz 8003 will definitely have similar sound signature with better features.

May please comment on my selection of Marantz 8003, specially using it in combination with valve amp with high sensitivity speaker (yes I mean Amity + 15 W SET Amp).

What's the price of Marantz 8003 in India (International price is around 1K USD)? Any dealer in Delhi?

Hi Amit,

The Marantz CDPs generally have a good reputation across the board. However, I have not heard this new SA8003.

The previous version was the 8001 and as far as I know that was marketed only in the US. That one was the same as the 7001 KI marketed in Europe and Asia. The 7001 KI was a beefed up version (with more expensive components) of the very popular and well priced 7001 model. However, there was no conclusive evidence IMO that the 7001KI was sonically better than the 7001. There are many reviews available that would roughly say what I said above.

Now the 8003 is the new model. They have changed the DAC and the transport I believe (from what I gather from Enjoythemusic review).

A few things from that review has left me less than satisfied: 1) They talk mostly or only about SACD playback, but how many SACDs do you have (worldwide there are only about 5000 titles released), 2) they talk also about high freq roll off, 3) the control buttons are slow.

I do not think you would get it lower than at least 60K. I am still not sure if there exists any official Marantz distributor in India. Until a year ago, there was none.

The above is not to put you off the 8003 track. I have no doubt it will be a wonderful player, but before buying you have to make sure you are reasonably satisfied. Just be well informed and make the best buy for the money. Is there a place to demo this in ND-Noida area?

Regards.

don't remember the exact amount, but it was close to 6.5k inr including 2 usb to spdif optical converters. As pointed by a couple of forum members, it is available for a little cheaper than what I paid.

regards

That's cool! How much did you pay for it? How do you plan to use it? How does it sound? Did you try upgrading the op-amp to the LM4562? It's $4 on e-bay!

Yes Asit, you are right. It is a matter of coincidence that today after my last posting, I read Enjoythemusic.com review about Marantz SA 8003. The reviewer was very critical about its slow interface, although in conclusion he appreciated its sound quality.

I am yet to listen any Marantz CDP except Marantz 5001 in Viren's place. The PRO Acoustics, Khan Mkt ND stock Marantz. But I have my doubt whether SA 8003 is in stock with them. Marantz 6003 may be available there.

Also another probability is CA 740/840. There is FX Entertainment, a CA dealer at CR Park. Once I had visited that showroom. I have to go there for audition of CA 740/840. The price of CA in India seems to be reasonable (without much mark-up compared to USD price).

BTW can you guys syggest any dealer of Arcam & Creek in Delhi?

Regards

Hi Amit,

The Marantz CDPs generally have a good reputation across the board. However, I have not heard this new SA8003.

The previous version was the 8001 and as far as I know that was marketed only in the US. That one was the same as the 7001 KI marketed in Europe and Asia. The 7001 KI was a beefed up version (with more expensive components) of the very popular and well priced 7001 model. However, there was no conclusive evidence IMO that the 7001KI was sonically better than the 7001. There are many reviews available that would roughly say what I said above.

Now the 8003 is the new model. They have changed the DAC and the transport I believe (from what I gather from Enjoythemusic review).

A few things from that review has left me less than satisfied: 1) They talk mostly or only about SACD playback, but how many SACDs do you have (worldwide there are only about 5000 titles released), 2) they talk also about high freq roll off, 3) the control buttons are slow.

I do not think you would get it lower than at least 60K. I am still not sure if there exists any official Marantz distributor in India. Until a year ago, there was none.

The above is not to put you off the 8003 track. I have no doubt it will be a wonderful player, but before buying you have to make sure you are reasonably satisfied. Just be well informed and make the best buy for the money. Is there a place to demo this in ND-Noida area?

Regards.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back