Nana Mascoury - A Place in my heart
Tanita Tikaram - ancient heart
Carpenters - Made in America
Carpenters - 24 classics
Sade - Promise
Dire Straits - (i think a mixture of songs

Additional equipment :
Nikon D80 DSLR + lens + Flash for photos

Sorry, i missed this thread for two days as i was caught in something else.

swami

Updated attendees list:

ATTENDEES

1. svenkateshsmart
2. srinisundar + wife + HiFi Kid
3. psychotropic
4. gannyboy
5. Jeevabobby26
6. Venkatcr + (Charu)
7. Kamal (in spirit only)
8. Asit (in spirit only)
9. The Vortex
10. Gruby + 1
11. Capt. Rajesh + Wife + 2 kids
12. Swami 69
13. Tellranga
14. Sound Advice + wife
15. N. Muralidharan
16. Srikarkav + Son
17. Mohadmmed Naseer
18. nagurum1974 + two
19. Thad
20. Sub + 1
21. rams1977
21. pksnathan

I will leave it to Sound Advice to update the equipment lists and agenda on a regular basis. I would like everything to be finalised by the end of the coming week. Sound Advice and a few others such as Bala and Murali, can we also meet a day or two before so that I can take you all to the club for a dry run?

Cheers

Venkat Sir,

Pls remove me from the list, as I am working on that day and my boss would kill me if I asked him leave, as I had already taken too many for exams.

Sorry for that:sad:

Cheers!

Hai All,

I can bring some LPs with their CD version for Format comparison, as well as some CD recorded from LPs, if time permits.

N.Murali.

Venkat - I am not sure as to whether I can make it to the dry runs. But I will be there very early on the D-Day to do all the testing and setting up.

I can join for any kind of dry or wet run on any day, if you think i may be of use.:lol:

+1, provided this would be in the afternoon. Would just need to know when, atleast by the end of the week. Ofcourse, only if you think I could be of any possible help. :)

hey venkat, please remove me from the list. As I said, I have a wedding to attend that I can't afford to bunk.

Updated attendees list:

ATTENDEES

1. svenkateshsmart
3. psychotropic
4. gannyboy
5. Jeevabobby26
6. Venkatcr + (Charu)
8. Asit (in spirit only)
9. The Vortex
10. Gruby + 1
12. Swami 69
13. Tellranga
14. Sound Advice + wife
15. N. Muralidharan
16. Srikarkav + Son
17. Mohadmmed Naseer
18. nagurum1974 + two
19. Thad
20. Sub + 1
21. rams1977
21. pksnathan

I will leave it to Sound Advice to update the equipment lists and agenda on a regular basis. I would like everything to be finalised by the end of the coming week. Sound Advice and a few others such as Bala and Murali, can we also meet a day or two before so that I can take you all to the club for a dry run?

Cheers

OK folks - I think it is time to finalize a few things in the interest of the meet progressing smoothly. I trust it is OK on the part of SoundAdvice for me to take such a liberty.

The modus operandi to be used in the meet is roughly as in a previous post made (link provided hereunder).

http://www.hifivision.com/general-chit-chat/8161-2nd-chennai-hfv-meet-10.html#post107773

The focus is on introducing Valve and single range driver sound and then a brief comparison with solid state equipment. The other thrust area is to see what exactly, if any, is the difference between the same songs played through the same amplification and speakers with just the source being changed. The various sources/DACs would be :

1) CD Player (we need members who can volunteer a CD player)

2) HTPC with a dedicated sound card

3) Vinyl Turntable

4) DACMagic (connected to a digital source)

Since we are only talking music here, we may not need to use Srinisundar's Blu Ray player.

This would be the pre-lunch session. In the post lunch session we can delve into the lovely world of movies with Srinisundar's Blu Ray Player and projector. I anticipate the afternoon session to be a bit non-linear in terms of agenda.

The last item for our meet would be a feedback cum planning routine. I would love to get feedback from the members on the meet and its execution along with suggestions for improvement as also finalize on the next meet and its objectives.

Please feel free to comment on any aspect of the items planned thus far.

Timings, Date and Venue

10:00 am for the attending members. 8:30 am for the equipment contributing members. I am referring only to the amplification and speakers and such. Those contributing only the LPs may come in at 10 am. I am leaving the closing timings open. I guess that depends on when Venkat's club decides to boot us out :).

This is on the 27th of February, a Saturday, just as a reminder. And this is taking place at the Gandhinagar Club at Adyar. Directions have been given in detail in one of the earlier posts in this thread.

Meet Attendees:

1. svenkateshsmart
3. gannyboy
4. Jeevabobby26
5. Venkatcr + (Charu)
6. Kamal (in spirit only)
7. Asit (in spirit only)
8. The Vortex
9. Gruby + 1
10. Capt. Rajesh + Wife + 2 kids
11. Swami 69
12. Tellranga
13. Sound Advice + wife
14. N. Muralidharan
15. Srikarkav + Son
16. Mohadmmed Naseer
17. nagurum1974 + two
18. Thad
19. Sub + 1
20. rams1977
21. pksnathan

Equipment:

Digital sources

1) Oppo DVD player (Venkatcr)
2) CD player (Need volunteers)
3) HTPC with dedicated sound card (thevortex)
4) Laptop (venkatcr)
5) Blu Ray Player (Srinisundar)

Projection Equipment

Projector (Srinisundar)

Analog source and content

1) Vinyl Turntable (swami69) [ Standton T.60 turntable + Audio technica Phono Pre-amp]
2) Several LPs (swami69)
3) Several LPs (murali_n)

I will be coordinating with these gentlemen to see that we have at least a few common albums so that even comparison may take place between the digital and analog streams.

DAC

1) DacMagic MkII (Madbullram) - I will be bringing the DAC along with two pairs of interconnects on behalf of Madbullram.

Solid State Amplification

1) NAD C372/Music Hall a25.2 (thevortex/venkatcr)

Valve amplification

1) Lyrita 2A3 SET amp (thevortex)

Specialty amplification

1) Tripath Topping amp (psychotropic) - I will be getting the amp over on behalf of psychotropic. [Sorry psychotropic - could not come up with a better heading than 'Specialty amplification'. Trust that is OK :))

Speakers

1) Audire IO2 single range loudspeaker
2) Paradigm Atom monitor (gannyboy)
3) PSB Alpha B1 (thevortex) - only if required

I do look forward to some activity in this thread so that we can have the meet planned out well in advance. Thank you.

Last edited:
TheVortex, we have to shift all timings by an hour. The hall is actually available to us only from 10AM, but I will get them to open it at 830AM.

Cheers

Hi Bala,

In your list of equipments i don't see a media player.Are we not having it this time?

cheers,
sri

Srikarkav - I have edited the post include Srinisundar's Blu Ray player. Is there anything else you were talking about?

About whether a WDTV type player is needed we need to discuss if we want to bring it in as well.

The D-Day is coming close. I have also not seen any activity from our Event Manager Mr. Sound Advice nor heard from him. So I have taken it upon myself to coordinate with the people brining equipment over the next few days.

D-Day is Feb 27th. Venue - The Gandhi Nagar club.

Pending Issue - Lunch and snacks menu.

Attendees and Equipment List.

ATTENDEES

1. svenkateshsmart (Not coming)
3. psychotropic (not coming)
4. gannyboy
5. Jeevabobby26
6. Venkatcr + (Charu)
8. Asit (in spirit only)
9. The Vortex
10. Gruby + 1
12. Swami 69
13. Tellranga
14. Sound Advice + wife
15. N. Muralidharan
16. Srikarkav + Son
17. Mohadmmed Naseer
18. nagurum1974 + two
19. Thad
20. Sub + 1
21. rams1977
21. pksnathan

EQUIPMENT

1. Multiple BR Players
2. Oppo 983 DVD Player (Venkat)
3. Audire IO2s (Venkat)
4. Paradig Atom Monitors (Gannyboy)
5. Marantz CDP (Srikarkav)
6. Mitsubishi 4900 projector (Srinisundar)
7. benq 5120 (Srinisundar)
8. Screen (venkat/ Srinisundar)
9. A laptop. (Venkat)
10. Stanton turntable (Swami 69)
11. Audio technica Phono Pre-Amp. (Swami 69)
12. Xtreamer Media Player (Gannyboy)
13. A hard disk full of movies and FLAC files. (Venkat, TheVortex)
14. tripath amp (question mark as Psychotropic is not attending)
15. Lyrita 2A3 SET (TheVortex)
16. HTPC (TheVortex)
17. DACMagic Mk2i (MadbullRam through TheVortex)
18. Music DAC + Musica Amp (Venkat)

LPs

Eye in the Sky - APP
Pink Floyd - The wall
Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon
Tracy chapman - Fast Car
George Michael - Faith
Nana Mascoury - A Place in my heart
Tanita Tikaram - ancient heart
Carpenters - Made in America
Carpenters - 24 classics
Sade - Promise
Dire Straits -

CDs

Rock and pop CDs (Capt. Rajesh)
Raaga Symphony
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Carpenters - Best of
Dire Straits

FLAC Version of above

Cables

Speaker cables - Belden, Mx, DAC (Venkat, MadbullRam)
ICs - Acoustic Research, Tara Labs, Mx, Belden (Venkat, MadbullRam)
HDMI - DAC, Oppo
USB - Stock Cables
Power Cords: Stock

Camera

Nikon D80 DSLR and official photographer - Swami69

Last edited:
Hi Venkat,
very interesting list of equipments. I wish I could attend this event. You forget to mention the precise ICs and power cords to be used and their exact burn in time ( in H:M:S format if possible):D. In one other thread I came to know they could make 30 to 40% difference.
Thanks.

Venkat what about the cables? I have sent the MX and Belden with Vortex

Added. If anybody else is bringing any other cables, please do let me know. I shall edit the post again only in the evening as I will be on the road till about 1600 hours.

Cheers

Last edited:
You forget to mention the precise ICs and power cords to be used and their exact burn in time ( in H:M:S format if possible):D. In one other thread I came to know they could make 30 to 40% difference.
Thanks.

Mahi, the power cords are all stock that come with the system/unit. In terms of burn in time, I have no idea as all these equipment are being used by members. I am assuming the burn-in time would be enough, more than 100 hours or so each.

Cheers

I will bring 30ft component cable / If ordered 25ft HDMI cable received before the meet, will bring that also..( present 25ft HDMI cable using cannot be removed)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back