401/301 guys in Bangalore

Finyl Vinyl,

Friday is very tough. Like a chicken cooked for too long. Next weekend Sunday morning? I'm a bit under the weather too this week...

Regards

Stevie, travelling starting Wednesday like a complete madman. Will be away for two weekends. Perhaps after that? I'm good this weekend too. Just have to check out a guy who has a couple of Duals. Does that tickle your fancy. Problem is that one is an automatic and the other one a semi. Need to check on them for a cousin who was my musical guru and get one for him as a gift. Would you know of a decent Dual at a throwaway price?

Finyl,

After two weeks is good. Would have loved to check out the Duals. However full day work today so Sunday's tough. Got one Dual myself not in good shape, use it for cleaning records sometimes since the platter rotates. Guess Bombay's the place to get used stuff... Check with Joshua here. He scored a good Lenco recently!

I'm getting my peripheral ring, should be here by Monday or so, can get it over so you can check it out if you want to order one yourself. From the resident vinyl Santa's helper Ali/Magma.

regards

Finyl,

After two weeks is good. Would have loved to check out the Duals. However full day work today so Sunday's tough. Got one Dual myself not in good shape, use it for cleaning records sometimes since the platter rotates. Guess Bombay's the place to get used stuff... Check with Joshua here. He scored a good Lenco recently!

I'm getting my peripheral ring, should be here by Monday or so, can get it over so you can check it out if you want to order one yourself. From the resident vinyl Santa's helper Ali/Magma.

regards

That's the thing that has some effect on the inertia or sumfink lyk zat? I'm not too good on these techie bits

Guess Bombay's the place to get used stuff... Check with Joshua here. He scored a good Lenco recently!

FinylVinyl,
I have not come across a good condition Dual. Have seen two Zero 600s (both decently priced but both in sorry states), and another very battered one whose model number I can't recall. None of them were worth the trouble. There's a guy (seller) who is very proud of his 1219 but it's not for sale.

I suggest a Jap direct drive. Most are built like tanks. Like a Rotel RP3000. Or a Technics SL series (don't remember the exact model number but I think one of them is a 1300). Or a Yamaha DD. But the question of properly packing and sending it across to your city unscathed is something you need to consider. If you are interested, do let me know so that I will do the initial liaising with the sellers on your behalf.
Joshua

That's the thing that has some effect on the inertia or sumfink lyk zat? I'm not too good on these techie bits

Finyl,

It flattens the record at the edge so supposed to have better, flatter stylus tip record interface. Almost all my records have some degree of lift at the edge, even using a center clamp.

Regards

FinylVinyl,
I have not come across a good condition Dual. Have seen two Zero 600s (both decently priced but both in sorry states), and another very battered one whose model number I can't recall. None of them were worth the trouble. There's a guy (seller) who is very proud of his 1219 but it's not for sale.

I suggest a Jap direct drive. Most are built like tanks. Like a Rotel RP3000. Or a Technics SL series (don't remember the exact model number but I think one of them is a 1300). Or a Yamaha DD. But the question of properly packing and sending it across to your city unscathed is something you need to consider. If you are interested, do let me know so that I will do the initial liaising with the sellers on your behalf.
Joshua

Joshua, I will be in Bombay starting tomorrow. Apparently there's a guy selling a 301. My chap over here wont give me his co-ordinates.

Re the Jap models, a Techincs Sl 1200 Mk II will do very nicely. Appreciate if you could just dig something up. Lets see if we can meet while I'm there. Cheerio

Rohit

Finyl,

It flattens the record at the edge so supposed to have better, flatter stylus tip record interface. Almost all my records have some degree of lift at the edge, even using a center clamp.

Regards

Hmm. Is this "lift" somewhat akin to a warp? Because some of mine have a slight wavy edge.

FinylVinyl,

Joshua

Any idea what models of Yamaha he had and how much he's asking?

Joshua, I will be in Bombay starting tomorrow. Apparently there's a guy selling a 301. My chap over here wont give me his co-ordinates.

Re the Jap models, a Techincs Sl 1200 Mk II will do very nicely. Appreciate if you could just dig something up. Lets see if we can meet while I'm there. Cheerio

Rohit

Do have a look at the 301. Hope it's in good condition. My guess is it will be in some box plinth which needs to be thrown far away immediately. And 99% likelihood that it will have a version of SME 3009 arm:)

Twelve Hundreds are rare and don't come up often. And not cheap at all. They have become almost as costly as 301/401/TD124. Unless you (or your friend) plan to DJ, no point looking for a 1200:lol:.
Joshua

Is there anything wrong with 1200 if I use it for personal listening and it is never being Dj'ed.?

there is no prob in listening to it even in home audio conditions... just put a good cartridge and you're gonna be listening to sounds that will rival decks worth 2L!

Hmm. Is this "lift" somewhat akin to a warp? Because some of mine have a slight wavy edge.

Ummm not too sure what to call it. Not wavy, more like not exactly flat on the platter. Except for the 180gm vinyl which has enough weight to sit flat...

Is there anything wrong with 1200 if I use it for personal listening and it is never being Dj'ed.?

No. Nothing at all. It's just that this TT is built for this specific purpose, and therefore the initial cost (of new) is fairly high, and even used market prices reflect that. Also, it has built up quite a halo around itself for good reason, so the price has also inflated. So if one has to spend lots of money, then better buy something with better sonics than a DJ table. My opinion, though. YMMV.
Joshua

Ummm not too sure what to call it. Not wavy, more like not exactly flat on the platter. Except for the 180gm vinyl which has enough weight to sit flat...

I find few records are flat but needle moves laterally in horizontal position. Though it does not affect to sound, it seems something is skewed while pressing or removing from press machine. Do you mean to say that.

Any idea what models of Yamaha he had and how much he's asking?

This guy is not home so he doesn't remember exact model number but he thinks it could be the P520 or P550. He should be able to confirm tonight.

I find few records are flat but needle moves laterally in horizontal position. Though it does not affect to sound, it seems something is skewed while pressing or removing from press machine. Do you mean to say that.

Hi Omishra,

By press machine do you mean the LP pressing machine? If so no, not referring to problems when pressing LPs. Anything flattish and not too heavy is bound to go out of true flat. Am referring to all my old vinyls that are not heavy 180gm. Almost all have some degree of gap between them and the platter in some places. The ring flattens these spaces out. Tonight will tell what difference using a stabilising ring brings. Mine has arrived and is sitting in office with me! :)

regards

on a completely different note, i am in bombay as i write and i dropped by the emi virgin office where i was given a fantastic reception by my old friends in the business. Exciting things are in store. Floyds dark side is being reissued including a 74 live version before the spl fx were put on plus a docu etc. Then there's the singles collection too.

But for me the highlight was being gifted a few LPs. Purple-come taste the band, ben harper-give till it's gone, kate bush-directors cut, danger mouse and daniele lupi presenting rome with norah jones and jack black and two 45's roxy music and deep purple.

Did i mention that I put them on to this site and they might have LP's available direct for us? No? Guess I forgot! My bad!

But for me the highlight was being gifted a few LPs. Purple-come taste the band, ben harper-give till it's gone, kate bush-directors cut, danger mouse and daniele lupi presenting rome with norah jones and jack black and two 45's roxy music and deep purple.

Lucky guy:)

Is Danger Mouse as good as he's hyped to be?

jls shall know this evening and I pop it on to the platter!

Stevieboy, I'm back this evening. How does tomorrow sound?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back