401/301 guys in Bangalore

Roughly 20"x20" by 1" board. 1.6ft x 1.6ft. In bangalore itself? That would be good thanks! You could replace yours too then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah. Down with a fever all week. Just sitting and cleaning lps to pass time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys, i'm looking to buy a 401. Just wanted to know what all do i have to look out for that it plays well without any problem or motor noise.

Also is someone making the plinth for 401's?

Regards.

Malvai, its very debatable. The people at Loricraft have to say this about it

"We think the 401 has the better design but was less carefully made, for this reason the 301 has the better sound. The ideal hybrid would be something like an early 301 with a late 401 motor."

And the 301's are pricier as they are big in the Japanese market cuz they consider the No.4 to be unlucky.(Pretty strange).

guys! just wanted to understand which is better - 301 or 401?

You gotta be specific Malvai. The grease 301 or the oil bearing one. Then again there's the strobe platter (not so preferable) vs the plain platter (preferable) ;) :D

The prices online seem to favour the 301. Only one reviewer I came across so far preferred the 401.

Regards

Hi guys, i'm looking to buy a 401. Just wanted to know what all do i have to look out for that it plays well without any problem or motor noise.

Also is someone making the plinth for 401's?

Regards.

In general, the switches, on off and speed change, make sure they work, the speed stability middle switch make sure it actually affects speed. With the turntable off, spin the platter to see how long and smoothly it spins. It's mostly mechanical so repairable, and most parts available online so even a bad condition 401 can be bought and restored to pristine glory depending on how much you want to spend. If you have the money, you could even send it abroad for a complete overhaul! Or DIY here itself. Someone, I think Bhaskarcan started a thread on his Garrard and G401fan helped him resolve noise issues. You could search for that thread. When you get it, oil the relevant points, seen in the manual you can download online or take a look at the 6moons article on the garrard project

Regards

I am looking to buy a refurbished piece from the UK. So it should be in good condition i think. I will ask these questions to the seller. What do you use for pure and constant power so that it spins at the correct speed?

Hi Hrtk,

If you're getting a seller refurbished, perhaps emporium umm forget the first name, they they would have taken care of servicing, oiling it and making sure it works.

For power supply, there's an ebay guy who makes a Loricraft clone, else there's always the Loricraft 401 at about 1000 pounds. Though I'm wondering whether an Online UPS with selectable frequency and voltage would do the same job...

Regards

Edit: Also stamford audio has the godolphin psu or something like that.

Last edited:
What do you use for pure and constant power so that it spins at the correct speed?

Hi,

You could DIY this design . Unable to post a bigger picture.

PM me if you are interested I can mail you the file.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Have you made this for yourself? If so, how does it sound with it?

Hi Steven,

I have not built this power supply.One more pending project.

Couple of guys on the vintage turntable group report good results with this power supply.

Regards
Rajiv

Where do you suggest i get the plinth made from stevie, and what tonearm and cart are you using?

Hi Steven,

Couple of guys on the vintage turntable group report good results with this power supply.

Regards
Rajiv

Ah ok thanks Rajiv. By the way waiting for your thread on cap/other mods to the Lyrita phonostage! Even a without pics one to start with would be good. :)

Regards

Where do you suggest i get the plinth made from stevie, and what tonearm and cart are you using?

Hi Hrtk,

You can either get it from abroad, lots of sellers selling it. There's a guy on ebay who sells skeletal birch ply plinths on four feet very cheap. Or make one for yourself here. Currently my Garrard 301 is in a wooden plinth on an acrylic board. Finyl here on the forum is planning a plinth also and he is looking for a birch ply guy then both of us will make a board. The plinth box whichever material we fancy. I was thinking of getting the motor board made first, putting blocks of wood inside at the four corners and squash balls like the Loricraft plinth. Later on I'll look at getting a proper hollow box made. Currently restoring my SME 3012 arm, will get a Denon 103 listen to the stock one for a while and then send it to Zu for their body and denude.

Regards

Hi Steven,

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv,

Did you acquire a Garrard to build this PS? You have a LP12 isn't it?

Cheers.

He has atleast 3 TTs that I know of, the LP12, a 301 and a TD124. Wouldn't be surprised if he had forgotten to mention the rest!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back