ALLO BOSS 2 PLAYER

@Sean de Silva @Kannan @amrutmhatre90 @mbhangui , Hi All , I have installed moode Audio on my pi4 , connected over usb to dac, works like a charm , have connected a screen to it as well. When I play spotify over moode audio, the song covers doesn't appear on screen , it just says spotify connected.

In volumio , since spotify is integrated inside, we get to see song cover and it's details on screen.

is there a way to get song details on screen while playing on spotify over moode audio?

Thanks,
Chandu
I don't use moode or volumio, but definitely the apps used for spotify will be totally different on volumio and moode. That's what I found with a cursory google search. volumio uses volumio-spotifyconnect while moode uses a spotify renderer which will allow the official spotify app on your android to connect and display albumart.
See the section "streaming Spotify" in the link below. The other thing is to go to the moode audio forum and just ask this question there. Tim Curtis always responds if there is a way to display albumart on the primary screen.

Last edited:
to enable 4k you have to have this in /boot/config.txt

Sir..but please see the attached images as after adding hdmi_enable_4k60=1 the fonts has become tiny as well the screen size for Peppy meter has also reduced and not covering the screen, please if you can look and suggest something sir...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    948.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    867.2 KB · Views: 19
By chance anyone tried to use Boss 2 player with Android OS like Lineage OS?
I use Apple Music Lossless on Android and curious if we could use Boss 2 player on Android without compromising quality?

Thanks

By chance anyone tried to use Boss 2 player with Android OS like Lineage OS?
I use Apple Music Lossless on Android and curious if we could use Boss 2 player on Android without compromising quality?

Thanks

There is no reason why LineageOS shouldn't work on allo boss2 because it is basically a PI4 device. However, apple music Hi-Res implementation is a real messy implementation unless you plan to use a good quality dac with only either of iphone or ipad. However, the situation may improve in the future.

1. With android your playback will be stuck to a fixed sampling rate (usually 48K or 96K), even with a good quality dac connected to the USB port.
2. With macbook pro, macbook air, macbook mini, you will be stuck to a sampling rate set in the audio midi setup application.
3. Only the ipad and iphones change the sampling rate as per the sampling rate of the source. So bit-perfect audio is limited to these two devices only. Rest all devices (including apple devices like macbooks, mac minis, etc, will not give you bit-perfect playback.

The only guaranteed bit-perfect high quality setup will be with some weird combination of devices. See this Part1 Part2 series of the mess that apple has created

Part1.

Part2

Since android gives a sub-par implementation of apple music, I myself have ultimately pulled out my old mac mini of 2012. Connected Allo Revolution DAC to the usb port. Did some hacking using opencore legacy patcher and installed big sur on my mac mini. Mac Mini 2012 supports Catalina OS as the highest version. Apple Music needs Big Sur onwards and hence the need to patch my mac mini. The other problem with Apple Music is that you have to get up from your chair, go to the device that is playing music and run apple music on that device to control it. So I have enabled 'Screen Sharing' on the mac mini. Now I can wireless connect to my mac mini using vnc from any linux/mac laptop and run apple music on it.

Apple is a company that made MP3 popular and told you that you don't require anything more than mp3. Now that the world has moved to hi-res music, they are desperately trying to catch up. You will have to give them some time :D

Last edited:
Yeah with iPad I get bit perfect playback , connected to usb of Topping E50. Plays 24-192 fine.

There is no reason why LineageOS shouldn't work on allo boss2 because it is basically a PI4 device. However, apple music Hi-Res implementation is a real messy implementation unless you plan to use a good quality dac with only either of iphone or ipad. However, the situation may improve in the future.

1. With android your playback will be stuck to a fixed sampling rate (usually 48K or 96K), even with a good quality dac connected to the USB port.
2. With macbook pro, macbook air, macbook mini, you will be stuck to a sampling rate set in the audio midi setup application.
3. Only the ipad and iphones change the sampling rate as per the sampling rate of the source. So bit-perfect audio is limited to these two devices only. Rest all devices (including apple devices like macbooks, mac minis, etc, will not give you bit-perfect playback.

The only guaranteed bit-perfect high quality setup will be with some weird combination of devices. See this Part1 Part2 series of the mess that apple has created

Part1.

Part2

Since android gives a sub-par implementation of apple music, I myself have ultimately pulled out my old mac mini of 2012. Connected Allo Revolution DAC to the usb port. Did some hacking using opencore legacy patcher and installed big sur on my mac mini. Mac Mini 2012 supports Catalina OS as the highest version. Apple Music needs Big Sur onwards and hence the need to patch my mac mini. The other problem with Apple Music is that you have to get up from your chair, go to the device that is playing music and run apple music on that device to control it. So I have enabled 'Screen Sharing' on the mac mini. Now I can wireless connect to my mac mini using vnc from any linux/mac laptop and run apple music on it.

Apple is a company that made MP3 popular and told you that you don't require anything more than mp3. Now that the world has moved to hi-res music, they are desperately trying to catch up. You will have to give them some time :D

Thanks for the detailed response.

I think we can disable sampling in Android with some root level configuration but again it doesn't make sense if Apple Music lossless itself is not reliable as tested in the links shared by you. It is really helpful.

Thanks

MoOde OS has released their latest version 8.0.0 However unlike earlier versions which could be updated via MoOde browser local UI, this release is only available as an ISO image download.

check for software update.jpg

moode 8.0.0 updates.jpg

moode website 8.0.0 .jpg

Did the Backup of existing settings via System Config.

After Backup, removed the micro SD card from Allo Boss 2 and inserted into card reader connected to pc.

Downloaded ISO image zip file (~1gb) and extracted .img to desktop (~3gb).

Downloaded Raspberry Pi Imager for Windows.

Opened Imager and wrote MoOde to card.

rpi moode write.jpg

rpi moode verify.jpg

remove sd card.jpg

Inserted the card into Boss 2 and switched on player.

The screen didn't come on, pointed to IP address on browser and rotating spinner near m started.

I assumed the attached usb hdd library is getting automatically updated as hdd light kept flashing continuously.

After rotating spinner stopped, did a Restore of existing settings via System Config and checked MoOde version info.

moode version release info.jpg

Tried playing a wav file from hdd, the track progress counter is displayed but no sound. Hence clicked on update library and retried playing from hdd but same result.

Hence clicked on REGENERATE Music Library under Library Config and that took quite some time to complete. Still no sound.

However, MoOde Spotify Connect connects to MoOde Spotify Renderer and plays songs.

I am unable to pinpoint the reason for no sound output from usb hdd and cannot ask for help on MoOde forum as their admin has disabled new account registrations.

Could there be some setting under Audio Config that is preventing sound output from hdd ?

audio config 1.jpg

audio config 2.jpg

audio config 3.jpg

MoOde OS has released their latest version 8.0.0 However unlike earlier versions which could be updated via MoOde browser local UI, this release is only available as an ISO image download.

View attachment 68054

View attachment 68055

View attachment 68056

After Backup, removed the micro SD card from Allo Boss 2 and inserted into card reader connected to pc.

View attachment 68057

View attachment 68058

View attachment 68059

The screen didn't come on, pointed to IP address on browser and rotating spinner near m started.

I assumed the attached usb hdd library is getting automatically updated as hdd light kept flashing continuously.

After rotating spinner stopped, did a Restore of existing settings via System Config and checked MoOde version info.

View attachment 68060

Tried playing a wav file from hdd, the track progress counter is displayed but no sound. Hence clicked on update library and retried playing from hdd but same result.

Hence clicked on REGENERATE Music Library under Library Config and that took quite some time to complete. Still no sound.

However, MoOde Spotify Connect connects to MoOde Spotify Renderer and plays songs.

I am unable to pinpoint the reason for no sound output from usb hdd and cannot ask for help on MoOde forum as their admin has disabled new account registrations.

Could there be some setting under Audio Config that is preventing sound output from hdd ?

View attachment 68061

View attachment 68062

View attachment 68063
Did you hear any major changes or new features? Worth taking out sd card reflashing and updating :p?

View attachment 68054

View attachment 68055

View attachment 68056

View attachment 68057

View attachment 68058

View attachment 68059

View attachment 68060

View attachment 68061

View attachment 68062

View attachment 68063

The thing that produces sound is mpd. So you need to check mpd log and it will tell you the problem. Login using ssh

check the log /var/log/mpd.log
go to the bottom. The messages there will tell you the issue

Did you hear any major changes or new features? Worth taking out sd card reflashing and updating :p?
yes huge change which only required ordinary ears..no sound from usb hdd files 🤣
The thing that produces sound is mpd. So you need to check mpd log and it will tell you the problem. Login using ssh

check the log /var/log/mpd.log
go to the bottom. The messages there will tell you the issue
System > Local Services > SSH term server - toggled to ON and SET

web ssh terminal.jpg

ssh server on.jpg

Clicked OPEN Web SSH terminal

terminal .jpg

logged in using MoOde login - pi and password - moodeaudio

At the flashing prompt entered log /var/log/mpd.log

terminal 2.jpg

Its "less /var/log/mpd/log"

Btw after seeing your upgrade post, I also did on mine and it went without any issues and I have my player working for local music files, but they are on SD card and not on USB deive.

yes huge change which only required ordinary ears..no sound from usb hdd files 🤣

System > Local Services > SSH term server - toggled to ON and SET

View attachment 68079

View attachment 68080

Clicked OPEN Web SSH terminal

View attachment 68081

logged in using MoOde login - pi and password - moodeaudio

At the flashing prompt entered log /var/log/mpd.log

View attachment 68082
The first step is to login. That you have done

The second step is to find out what log file has been configured for mpd. To do that use the following command

grep log_file /etc/mpd.conf

The above will show something like this (This is for my configuration)
grep log /etc/mpd.conf
# These settings are the locations for the daemon log files for the daemon.
# These logs are great for troubleshooting, depending on your log_level
# The special value "syslog" makes MPD use the local syslog daemon. This
# setting defaults to logging to syslog, or to journal if mpd was started as
log_file "/var/log/mpd/mpd.log"
# This setting controls the type of information which is logged. Available
log_level "secure"
# This setting specifies the permissions a user has who has not yet logged in.

As can be seen, my configuration uses /var/log/mpd/mpd.log

To look at the log use the following command

tail /var/log/mpd/mpd.log

To look at the entire log you can use the less command. You can use the space bar too move forward and the letter 'b' to move backwards. Letter 'q' to quit

less /var/log/mpd/mpd.log

The second step is to find out what log file has been configured for mpd. To do that use the following command

To look at the entire log you can use the less command. You can use the space bar too move forward and the letter 'b' to move backwards. Letter 'q' to quit
It is /var/log/mpd/log in Moode.

It is /var/log/mpd/log in Moode.
Untitled.jpg

You have pasted command wrongly.. please try again its less /var/log/mpd/log only. Also you can use the moode specific command as below.

moodeutl -l

You typed the wrong command used pless /var/log/mpd/log and that's why the error bash: pless: command not found

it should be
You have pasted command wrongly.. please try again its less /var/log/mpd/log only. Also you can use the moode specific command as below.

moodeutl -l
entered manually - less /var/log/mpd/log
now theres a huge huge never-ending list on display o_O o_Oo_O

entered manually - less /var/log/mpd/log
now theres a huge huge never-ending list on displayo_Oo_Oo_O
Good. You are now running the pager which shows you one page at a time. To go to the bottom, type the letter G. It should be just one letter the CAPITAL G. The moment you press G, less will show you the bottom. The mpd error will be there.

We are more interested in the latest lines, you can use "tail" instead of "less" which will print last lines. please run moodeutl -l also which helps identify the issues.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back