Dead pixels in my C9

Love4sound

Dear fms

Just updating that I have dead pixels in my C9. It’s only in the top and bottom corners with 6-8 on the side corners. If you see the 3rd image my usage is just 1555 hours and 99.9% contents where all with black bars since I use my c9 only for HDR movies or SDR movies in my HT. So the dead pixels are actually present in the region where the black bars are present and has no impact on my movie watching experience. Infact the part the display which was utilised to max is clean in all the tests.

Attachments

• D8FE2F56-5E5C-4675-8541-68878CD9CC8B.jpeg
    D8FE2F56-5E5C-4675-8541-68878CD9CC8B.jpeg
    519.4 KB · Views: 128
  • F64EDF29-9381-4268-8EFE-879BD20A2FB4.jpeg
    F64EDF29-9381-4268-8EFE-879BD20A2FB4.jpeg
    544.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 8581606B-EFD2-4FA0-B1DE-5F6A10E36194.jpeg
    8581606B-EFD2-4FA0-B1DE-5F6A10E36194.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Dear fms

Just updating that I have dead pixels in my C9. It’s only in the top and bottom corners with 6-8 on the side corners. If you see the 3rd image my usage is just 1555 hours and 99.9% contents where all with black bars since I use my c9 only for HDR movies or SDR movies in my HT. So the dead pixels are actually present in the region where the black bars are present and has no impact on my movie watching experience. Infact the part the display which was utilised to max is clean in all the tests.
Are you sure it's dead pixels & not some stains on the screen? those pixels look very big for a 4k screen. I could be wrong but did you try to wipe the screen with a damp cloth & see if it is spots/stain?

How does one test for this? I tried this
Could not see any anomalies.
TV is LG55C8 with ~7500 hours on it

Cheers,
Raghu

Sorry to hear about this. I'm curious on how old is your unit.
It’s just 2 years old and with only 1550 hours of usage
Are you sure it's dead pixels & not some stains on the screen? those pixels look very big for a 4k screen. I could be wrong but did you try to wipe the screen with a damp cloth & see if it is spots/stain?
hahah no they are not stains. Some are big cause multiple pixels next to each other are dead. In real usage they are not at all visible
How does one test for this? I tried this
Could not see any anomalies.
TV is LG55C8 with ~7500 hours on it

Cheers,
Raghu
Use this link

Is it inside warranty? You might get yourself a C1 as replacement!
Nope just expired on jan. My tv is two years old and I got only one year warranty on TV and additional year for panel. I might have had this before warranty expired and I should have ran all these tests a week before it was expiring

Yeah, with 1550 hours, I wasn't expecting 3 years, hence I asked. I guess C9 did not come with 3 years warranty which LG boasts of now-a-days. Tells how worthwhile it is grab onto any warranty or extended warranty that one can get. Also, while making buy decision, one should completely depreciate the TV by warranty period. Anything more is just a bonus run. OR, sell as a second towards end of warranty and move on.

Last edited:
Nope just expired on jan. My tv is two years old and I got only one year warranty on TV and additional year for panel. I might have had this before warranty expired and I should have ran all these tests a week before it was expiring
Worth noting as a must do!

Panel replacement costs of 65" OLED TV's have come down though. It used to be as high as 80% of tv cost a couple years ago but now it is only around 40% of tv cost.

Panel replacement costs of 65" OLED TV's have come down though. It used to be as high as 80% of tv cost a couple years ago but now it is only around 40% of tv cost.
I won’t be going for replacement if it’s not done free. I absolutely don’t see any issues while watching movies and tv shows. Even now I watched an anime that doesn’t have black bars and the dead pixels where not visible. If free replacement I will take it if not I will use it as long as the issue is visible while watching contents and then spend on panel replacement. To be honest I never worry about burn in for my usage pattern and this I worried while getting the tv as it’s prone to any Oled panels irrespective of your usage pattern

Sorry to hear that... If I remember correctly from a Reddit thread, if it's more than ten dead pixels, LG did courtesy replacements abroad. Not sure if they will do for here, but worth the try. BTW, how often (% of runtime) did you watch HDR content? Just curious...

I won’t be going for replacement if it’s not done free. I absolutely don’t see any issues while watching movies and tv shows. Even now I watched an anime that doesn’t have black bars and the dead pixels where not visible. If free replacement I will take it if not I will use it as long as the issue is visible while watching contents and then spend on panel replacement. To be honest I never worry about burn in for my usage pattern and this I worried while getting the tv as it’s prone to any Oled panels irrespective of your usage pattern
I didn't advice for your purpose. I said that in general that the price has reduced and so any run more than warranty period is a bonus is nowadays becoming a super bonus. Let's say you run the same way for another few years, the panel replacement would come to just about 10% and may be more viable than buying a new tv.

Try logging a service request with LG and check.. It's possible they might consider your case as your usage hours is less, Samsung repaired my relatives TV free of charge even 2 months after the warranty expired. During pandemic my relatives were residing in their native hence couldn't report the issue during warranty and samsung accepted this justification..

Sorry to hear that... If I remember correctly from a Reddit thread, if it's more than ten dead pixels, LG did courtesy replacements abroad. Not sure if they will do for here, but worth the try. BTW, how often (% of runtime) did you watch HDR content? Just curious...
50-60% as this tv is used only for HT. Good thing is it’s not visible apart from tests.
Try logging a service request with LG and check.. It's possible they might consider your case as your usage hours is less, Samsung repaired my relatives TV free of charge even 2 months after the warranty expired. During pandemic my relatives were residing in their native hence couldn't report the issue during warranty and samsung accepted this justification..
I haven’t run manual pixel refresh once. Will try that and later check with Lg. In real usage this isn’t a concern as of now but who knows on the long run

Sad to see this,Atleast LG should have given 3 years warranty and optional additional 2 year warranty( paid) which gives the owner peace of mind.

Sad to see this,Atleast LG should have given 3 years warranty and optional additional 2 year warranty( paid) which gives the owner peace of mind.
I don't think OP Navin (love4sound) is alarmed by this. It takes more than that to raffle him or a knowledgeable hifivision experienced forumer. Even if this maybe a degenerative fault, whereby the pixel faults gets regressive, still it might last several years close to 5 more atleast. And he watches movies with the black bars covering up the mild blemish.

Yup and now LG is providing that but sadly not when I purchased it.
I don't think OP Navin (love4sound) is alarmed by this. It takes more than that to raffle him or a knowledgeable hifivision experienced forumer. Even if this maybe a degenerative fault, whereby the pixel faults gets regressive, still it might last several years close to 5 more atleast. And he watches movies with the black bars covering up the mild blemish.
hahah yeah not alarmed for now and if it stays at this level I will be least bothered. Even on contents with full screen it isn’t noticeable now. And Rajith and I live nearby so both have visited each other on few occasions and know personally well through the forum :)

Given the OP’s punctilious and fastidious nature as evidenced through most of his posts , I’m expecting a Sale thread and a hunt for a new TV soon. :D
Lol why you have to do this. I not once thought of this and now tempting :) But any ways won’t be wise to change an expensive tv using it for just 1555 hours. Plan is to try my luck and have the panel replaced for free by LG if manual pixel refresh fails. If they deny replacement I will continue to use it since it’s not visible at all in real contents. For majority of the contents i watch it won’t even matter because of black bars. So just continue with this tv as long as I can and then upgrade later once it becomes problematic for actual contents that I watch

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back