Fans of Television Series

Netflix seems to be enamored by stories about drug lords. I started watching this new series called El Chapo with some scepticism but it is really nicely done and very watchable. It is shot more like a documentary and offers insights into how drug lords don't just exist in a vacuum - politicians and police and military also work hand in hand and in many cases are even more ruthless than the drug lords themselves. Which sounds strange to say as El Chapo Guzman has the notoriety of being one of the most ruthless drug lords of all time.

Like Queen Of The South, this is surprisingly more of an underdog story and a bit different from, say, Narcos. But it is not as stylized and is shot in a more gritty, matter of fact way, documentary style. A bit like City Of God, if you will. Season 1 ends in a very abrupt and unfinished way, but I found myself binge watching it and can highly recommend it - especially if you like watching underworld mafia gritty stuff.

I just finished binge watching SALEM about couple of weeks ago. I am not that fond of the horror genre, but since I could not find anything good to watch by myself, I started this. Ended up watching all the 3 seasons. One reason - Janet Montgomery :) I also wanted to see how this all ended. Nothing much in this series. Actors and casting is okay. Being partial to Janet, I think she carries the entire series on her shoulders. Apart from her - Iddo Goldberg as Isaac "The Fornicator", Lucy Lawless(Xena fame) as Ingrid Von Marburg), Tazmin Merchant as Ann Hale and Ashley Madekwe( from Revenge) as Tituba, are honorable mentions. A bit of advice to Shane West as John Alden - Do not leave your day job :) Something for fans of this genre.

Last edited:
While I was watching SALEM S03, I casually mentioned this in the office and someone then suggested Sons Of Anarchy. I was skeptical. Truly apprehensive, but I thought lets give it a try. And boy oh boy! Am I glad! Its something that I never expected. S01 hits all the right notes. Having watched a few biker movies, this was not something I would have imagined. Hooked on to it already. Finished 2 seasons already in 10 days and am now looking forward for the rest. So far, its shaping up nicely. Charlie Hunnam as Jax Teller is supreme!! Take a bow mate! His biker persona should be patented :) His gait in the entire S01 is like a pure, unadulterated, wholesome Biker!! The entire cast playing SAMCRO(Sam Crow), Katey Segal as the Matriarch, Maggie Siff - et al. are just impeccable. Shows that there's a lot of thought gone in the casting, story and the plot. No wonder this series got such a huge audience and critical acclaim. Kurt Sutter - kudos to you for this thought and execution.

* If someone is keeping a record, please add me in the long list of SOA Fans* :)

Janet King is worth a watch folks, if you liked Suits(will keep it for later), The Good Wife or other courtroom sagas. Watched S01 and have kept it aside to watch it with my wife. The suspense is well hidden, however, you can get an idea about it if you watch it closely. Will add something once I have watched all seasons till date.

In between "nothing to watch" and "what to watch?" I stumbled upon an old crime/detective series - The Prime Suspect. I wouldn't have watched if it didn't star Helen Mirren. I personally find her incredibly sexy with a hint of eroticism. Don't ask me why :) Add to it her English accent. But even she could not hold me past 1 and a half seasons. I wonder why it was so highly rated by the critics or IMDB. Not that influenced my decision, its just that I found nothing extraordinary after the first season. Probably it was a good series in it's time. Give it a try if you absolutely have to. Or for Helen Mirren :D

Last edited:
Janet King is worth a watch folks, if you liked Suits(will keep it for later), The Good Wife or other courtroom sagas. Watched S01 and have kept it aside to watch it with my wife. The suspense is well hidden, however, you can get an idea about it if you watch it closely. Will add something once I have watched all seasons till date.

What was your source ...its not on India Netflix ..?

Netflix seems to be enamored by stories about drug lords. I started watching this new series called El Chapo with some scepticism but it is really nicely done and very watchable. It is shot more like a documentary and offers insights into how drug lords don't just exist in a vacuum - politicians and police and military also work hand in hand and in many cases are even more ruthless than the drug lords themselves. Which sounds strange to say as El Chapo Guzman has the notoriety of being one of the most ruthless drug lords of all time.

Like Queen Of The South, this is surprisingly more of an underdog story and a bit different from, say, Narcos. But it is not as stylized and is shot in a more gritty, matter of fact way, documentary style. A bit like City Of God, if you will. Season 1 ends in a very abrupt and unfinished way, but I found myself binge watching it and can highly recommend it - especially if you like watching underworld mafia gritty stuff.

Well there are others too - Mr. Robot, Bates Motel, Strange Things (Worth a watch BTW - its good!!), Marcela etc. I can suggest a few if you want :D

Started watching Goliath-
Another Legal drama from the best in the business, David E Kelley. Billy Bob Thornton gives amazing performance !

Looks promising. Will check it out. Thx.:)

Finished long time back ... I guess you missed my review on this thread ...
Below was my review .... :)

Goliath - Season 1 ... AMAZING, just loved the show, would be very high in my rating schema, however I still have few apprehensions, and few things that I did not like, or shall I say could not understand why writers would do so (I can share if someone is interested and upto it for a debate ), but that aspect made me pull out few points from the over all score. But all said and done, this does not take away from the fact that it still remains one hell of a show, the quality of the writing most of the time is excellent, and the dialogues, performances, characters are blind spot on. Infact I would say the way it's shot and paced, the amount of detective work involved, the score and the atmosphere the show maintains, makes it feel much more like classy film noir than any legal drama.

Coming to ending, yes I have read reviews that say it was a lukewarm ending, I would say it was not over-dramatized, in fact it as not dramatized at all and that for me actually worked in favor of the show and the atmosphere in was shot in. However yes I would agree that the amount of final evidence and argument I was expecting the protagonist team will put up in the last two episodes was not as much as I would have expected; for it to get the kind of verdict it got ....... you will know what I mean when you will see the show ....... this could have been 8/10 but I would cut 2 points for what I said in the first para, and settle with 7.8/10 , which mind you in it self is a pretty high score in my rating schema .......

Finished watching house of cards season 5, wasn't as good as the earlier seasons, same clich getting repeated, disappointed ; anyone felt the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished watching house of cards season 5, wasn't as good as the earlier seasons, same clich getting repeated, disappointed ; anyone felt the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same boat bro... but I strongly believe that the next season will be mind-blowing as a head-on war is inevitable. fingers crossed!!

I just finished binge watching SALEM about couple of weeks ago. I am not that fond of the horror genre, but since I could not find anything good to watch by myself, I started this. Ended up watching all the 3 seasons. One reason - Janet Montgomery :) I also wanted to see how this all ended. Nothing much in this series. Actors and casting is okay. Being partial to Janet, I think she carries the entire series on her shoulders. Apart from her - Iddo Goldberg as Isaac "The Fornicator", Lucy Lawless(Xena fame) as Ingrid Von Marburg), Tazmin Merchant as Ann Hale and Ashley Madekwe( from Revenge) as Tituba, are honorable mentions. A bit of advice to Shane West as John Alden - Do not leave your day job :) Something for fans of this genre.

Thanks... added to the watch list.

Back