Fans of Television Series

Ok!! I am back with a couple of good recommendations. As I can see Tabula Rasa is already been recommended above, if you haven't thought about it, give it a go! Its on the slower side, but builds up to a rather fantastic and jaw dropping discoveries towards the end.

The one documentary you all should watch is the Wild Wild Country. This is a documentary on ONE aspect of Rajneesh(Osho), while just touching upon his life in India. At the end a skeptic like me too feels bad about the whole thing. Its a gripping 6 part series with enough controversies to hold your attention. I am from Pune and was always fascinated by the Osho Ashram in Koregaon Park. This gave a peek inside the life and environment of the Rajneeshees. Throughout the series, Rajneesh is kept in the background and his secretary and a couple of others have been kept in the forefront. The secretary's friction with the city Antelope, the Wasco County and the State of Oregon, is not the only controversy that happened in the life of Rajneesh. But the prominence is given to what happened in America. It's very hard to believe that Rajneesh was never aware of what was happening in "Rajneeshpuram". I was left with a feeling that the series is biased towards Rajneesh while projecting Sheila as the mastermind. One thing is striking though - there is a line which Jane Stork (Ma Shanti B) utters towards the end about "breaking the spell", that kind of brings it all under perspective. Must watch. (Disclaimer: These are my personal opinions. Please let me know it offends anyone. I will remove this post)

Ok!! I am back with a couple of good recommendations. As I can see Tabula Rasa is already been recommended above, if you haven't thought about it, give it a go! Its on the slower side, but builds up to a rather fantastic and jaw dropping discoveries towards the end.

The one documentary you all should watch is the Wild Wild Country. This is a documentary on ONE aspect of Rajneesh(Osho), while just touching upon his life in India. At the end a skeptic like me too feels bad about the whole thing. Its a gripping 6 part series with enough controversies to hold your attention. I am from Pune and was always fascinated by the Osho Ashram in Koregaon Park. This gave a peek inside the life and environment of the Rajneeshees. Throughout the series, Rajneesh is kept in the background and his secretary and a couple of others have been kept in the forefront. The secretary's friction with the city Antelope, the Wasco County and the State of Oregon, is not the only controversy that happened in the life of Rajneesh. But the prominence is given to what happened in America. It's very hard to believe that Rajneesh was never aware of what was happening in "Rajneeshpuram". I was left with a feeling that the series is biased towards Rajneesh while projecting Sheila as the mastermind. One thing is striking though - there is a line which Jane Stork (Ma Shanti B) utters towards the end about "breaking the spell", that kind of brings it all under perspective. Must watch. (Disclaimer: These are my personal opinions. Please let me know it offends anyone. I will remove this post)

yes to Wild Wild Country , highly recommend.

Doing a second round on Bosch. This time on Amazon prime available in 4k HDR and it's superb. Already this show was great and now looks even better and bigger.

Just finished a s4 marathon.

everybit as gripping as the earlier seasons. Irving Irving Griffen J Edgar Billets Santiago Maddie and even the Sentil/ Goundamani Crate and Barrel and ofc Bosch really shine.

I thought that Bosch was done with his obsession with the past, but it somehow comes back and it has to be properly closed.

I don't have my act bb or rillu jio to watch it here so it had to be one Sunday in bed with laptop and headphones. It might not be the best season but it is very watchable.

ciao
gr

Where did you watch it ? I think Prime has only three seasons ?

It is there on the US site. I was impatient and got US prime for S3 :)

I am in MTV, CA on work for a few weeks so did not have to do the proxy thing for S4. Ofc I had to get a $75 wala internet for it and was deeply missing my ACT and Jio and their prices !

ciao
gr

Last edited:
It is there on the US site. I was impatient and got US prime for S3 :)

I am in MTV, CA on work for a few weeks so did not have to do the proxy thing for S4. Ofc I had to get a $75 wala internet for it and was deeply missing my ACT and Jio and their prices !

ciao
gr

Lucky you. Bosch deserves your efforts and spend to see him in S4. Well done.

Just finished a s4 marathon.

everybit as gripping as the earlier seasons. Irving Irving Griffen J Edgar Billets Santiago Maddie and even the Sentil/ Goundamani Crate and Barrel and ofc Bosch really shine.

I thought that Bosch was done with his obsession with the past, but it somehow comes back and it has to be properly closed.

I don't have my act bb or rillu jio to watch it here so it had to be one Sunday in bed with laptop and headphones. It might not be the best season but it is very watchable.

ciao
gr

Everything is so right about Bosch. Right from casting Titus Welliver, to the story line, and subsequent climaxes. I loved Michael Connelly's subtle intro to Hieronymus Bosch as a cop with a troubled past in his novels. In the TV adaptation, I love the way he is with his daughter and wife, still struggling with his self. Something that we cannot visualize in the book. I hope APV releases it for Indian viewers soon!!

Finished 1 and a part episode of "The Code"

I have not watched Oz made stuff earlier. Unless you count MasterChef.

This is one is really class and very compelling. The accents and the setting and the plot are really good.

I don't know if this is available in India and am not risking leaving it unwatched.

Early in the story and the outback is not Sweden but it reminds me of the girl in the dragon tattoo the starkness the quietness, the understated menace, the dogged journalist, the tension, the works.

Watch. Must watch, imho

Ciao
GR

Safe - Netflix

A story about a father whose teenager daughter goes missing after a party. The entire series is based on his struggle with the death of his wife and the search for his daughter. With the help of a loyal friend and his lover, who is the Detective, he goes on with his search, unraveling deep, dark hidden secrets people are holding close to their chests. Its a nice, gripping watch, with a fantastic climax. Micheal C Hall (Dexter) is amazing as the surgeon father. Marc Warren(Mad Dogs) as his loyal friend makes you wish he is your friend. A gripping watch if you like crime thrillers.

Lost in Space - Netflix

A fantastic cinematic experience. This shows why Netflix is the king of all streaming services. Yet. A family's ship is off course in the space and crash lands on a strange planet. Strange planet, strange creatures, unseen dangers. During their efforts to get off this island, their son makes friends with a dangerous robot, who happens to be the reason for the part destruction of their mother ship. The visuals are stunning, so is the VFX. One of the rare watch with the kids. Go on, enjoy. Its worth binging. Molly Parker(House of Cards), is fantastic!! But the little boy Maxwell Jenkins as Will is the star of this show. And so is Taylor Russel as Judy.

Evil Genius - Docuseries - Netflix

This is where Netflix is killing them all. After Wild Wild Country, the same team has made a superlative docuseries - The Evil Genius. I had seen a video on Youtube about this a few months back. But this documentary puts everything under perspective. Billed as "America's Most Diabolical Bank Heist" this series takes an in depth look at why on 28 August 2003, Brian Wells robbed a bank with a bomb attached round his neck. Brian has a set of instructions on what to do to get this bomb off his neck, like a scavenger hunt. But things go south and the bomb explodes killing Brian Wells on the spot. Horrible way to die! :(:(

We know who did it, but what makes it more interesting is the sinister plot and following the trail as to how, why and who was behind all this. The case took ~10 years to supposedly reach a close, but the question still remains about who and why Brian Wells was killed. The series at the end left me squirming in my seat thinking how evil the human mind can be.. a MUST WATCH!

Last edited:
Cobra Kai - spent a very entertaining, gripping, binge (no breaks whatsoever) watch of all 10 episodes. Saw the 8+ rating in imdb at the time of 'acquiring' this series - has gone upto 9.2 now. Legally it is on Youtube Red.
Took me back to Karate Kid (1984) and the movie series and made me feel nostalgic. The original actors Ralph Macchio (as Daniel LaRusso) and William Zabka (as Johny Lawrence) reprise their roles.

Realistic, no shocking stuff, tight screen play, right amount of acting, not corny, not stupid mindless action - it is a well thought out and gripping presentation - no sags no sob story stuff. Sequels of many popular movies suck - they suck more when turned into serials (Lethal weapon for one) but not this.

The story continues from Lawrence's life and 30 years have not been kind to him. Separated (or is it divorced?) from his wife and son, he's living in a cheap apartment in Reseda, more or less like the one LaRusso moved to from New Jersey in the original movie. Johnny's a struggling handyman, still driving the same (not-quite so sweet) '84 Pontiac Firebird. Adding insult to injury, he can't escape his rival's success; LaRusso owns a chain of upmarket car dealerships, literally looking down on him in traffic from a massive billboard. In the every first episode he gets fired!

Cobra Kai borrows more than just the characters and locations from The Karate Kid, taking the original plot and weaving elements through. A nerd school kid (Miguel Diaz, played by Xolo Maridueña) learns karate to defend himself from a gang of bullies, but it's Johnny who trains him in a now-reopened Cobra Kai dojo. "Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy" becomes an empowering philosophy for Diaz and his bullied schoolmates where anyone picking you on gets their ass beat.

If you loved the 1984 classic you're bound to enjoy Cobra Kai. Between Johnny's redemption and a clever retelling of the original story, the show takes itself just seriously enough that it's frequently funny. Second season on YouTube is sanctioned, so more to follow

Folks, I know I'm gushing over this because I really enjoyed it! It is really good, but still keep your expectations grounded!

Cobra Kai TV-14 | 30min | Action, Comedy, Drama | TV Series (2018– )

Lost in Space - Netflix

A fantastic cinematic experience. This shows why Netflix is the king of all streaming services. Yet. A family's ship is off course in the space and crash lands on a strange planet. Strange planet, strange creatures, unseen dangers. During their efforts to get off this island, their son makes friends with a dangerous robot, who happens to be the reason for the part destruction of their mother ship. The visuals are stunning, so is the VFX. One of the rare watch with the kids. Go on, enjoy. Its worth binging. Molly Parker(House of Cards), is fantastic!! But the little boy Maxwell Jenkins as Will is the star of this show. And so is Taylor Russel as Judy.

Safe and Lost in Space are in my to-watch queue. Thanks for the reviews! I have no idea when I'll watch all the stuff I have lined up :(

Apparently Lost in Space has already been renewed for a 2nd Season, And Netflix has not yet mentioned anything about renewing Altered Carbon for a 2nd season yet! What is this madness? :p

Safe and Lost in Space are in my to-watch queue. Thanks for the reviews! I have no idea when I'll watch all the stuff I have lined up :(

Apparently Lost in Space has already been renewed for a 2nd Season, And Netflix has not yet mentioned anything about renewing Altered Carbon for a 2nd season yet! What is this madness? :p

Yes, still waiting for Netflix to announce Altered Carbon - Season 2. Let's hope it is soon :)

"No, No No, No No !!!!!! WT effing F!!!!!!!!!"

This was my muffled yell in the pillow I was holding while watching the climax of Shetland on Netflix . The kid was around and profanities around him do not help!!

But this is what I felt. After watching the gripping season, the climax was just not what I had expected. I mean WHY!!!???? Anyway, Shetland is back with a new season. D.I Jimmy Perez this time is investigating an old murder when Thomas Malone is released out of prison wrongly convicted of murder of Lizzy Kilmuir. He is convinced that Thomas is innocent. No one else is except Lizzy's twin sister Kate. Another murder of the daughter of the cop who had arrested Malone happens in the same way Lizzy was murdered and naturally all fingers point at Malone. DI Perez's and Tosh's investigation leads them to Norway. The usual twists and turns along the way to catch the culprit.

Douglas Henshall is perfect as DI Perez, his no-nonsense and soft voice emanates the impact thats needed. All his interactions with Malone are just superb! Alison O'Donnell as Tosh is gritty and fantastic. But Stephen Walters as Thomas Malone is the supreme actor in this series. He takes the cake. He truly depicts the agony and distress one has to go through in a society after a conviction, even if it is false. Every frame he is in, alone or with another actor, he steals the show. And then there is Scotland!!!! Ah so beautiful and pristine!! The windy roads, the serene lakes, the old stone houses and accent. This place is a true paradise! Watch Shetland if you have enjoyed the previous seasons. And watch it for Thomas Malone :) :)

Has anyone here watched Counterpart? It stars JK Simmons, Olivia Williams and Nazanin Boniyadi (remember her from Homeland?) and the first season concluded about a month back. I started on it yesterday (2 episodes down) and it looks very promising. Genre: SciFi (in the world building construct)/Thriller.

I also watched the second season of Berlin Station over the last few weeks. It was as good as the first. It is one of those mini series that don't get the recognition they deserve. Genre: Out and out spy stuff in the vein of Le Carre novels.

Also currently watching Westworld Season 2 as it unfolds. I'll watch Billions (Season 3) and The Americans (Season 7) binge style after they finish airing all the episodes in these currently running seasons.

Has anyone here watched Counterpart? It stars JK Simmons, Olivia Williams and Nazanin Boniyadi (remember her from Homeland?) and the first season concluded about a month back. I started on it yesterday (2 episodes down) and it looks very promising. Genre: SciFi (in the world building construct)/Thriller.

I also watched the second season of Berlin Station over the last few weeks. It was as good as the first. It is one of those mini series that don't get the recognition they deserve. Genre: Out and out spy stuff in the vein of Le Carre novels.

Also currently watching Westworld Season 2 as it unfolds. I'll watch Billions (Season 3) and The Americans (Season 7) binge style after they finish airing all the episodes in these currently running seasons.

Are these on Netflix? I think Westworld is not, what about the others?

Cobra Kai - spent a very entertaining, gripping, binge (no breaks whatsoever) watch of all 10 episodes. Saw the 8+ rating in imdb at the time of 'acquiring' this series - has gone upto 9.2 now. Legally it is on Youtube Red.
Took me back to Karate Kid (1984) and the movie series and made me feel nostalgic. The original actors Ralph Macchio (as Daniel LaRusso) and William Zabka (as Johny Lawrence) reprise their roles.

Realistic, no shocking stuff, tight screen play, right amount of acting, not corny, not stupid mindless action - it is a well thought out and gripping presentation - no sags no sob story stuff. Sequels of many popular movies suck - they suck more when turned into serials (Lethal weapon for one) but not this.

The story continues from Lawrence's life and 30 years have not been kind to him. Separated (or is it divorced?) from his wife and son, he's living in a cheap apartment in Reseda, more or less like the one LaRusso moved to from New Jersey in the original movie. Johnny's a struggling handyman, still driving the same (not-quite so sweet) '84 Pontiac Firebird. Adding insult to injury, he can't escape his rival's success; LaRusso owns a chain of upmarket car dealerships, literally looking down on him in traffic from a massive billboard. In the every first episode he gets fired!

Cobra Kai borrows more than just the characters and locations from The Karate Kid, taking the original plot and weaving elements through. A nerd school kid (Miguel Diaz, played by Xolo Maridueña) learns karate to defend himself from a gang of bullies, but it's Johnny who trains him in a now-reopened Cobra Kai dojo. "Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy" becomes an empowering philosophy for Diaz and his bullied schoolmates where anyone picking you on gets their ass beat.

If you loved the 1984 classic you're bound to enjoy Cobra Kai. Between Johnny's redemption and a clever retelling of the original story, the show takes itself just seriously enough that it's frequently funny. Second season on YouTube is sanctioned, so more to follow

Folks, I know I'm gushing over this because I really enjoyed it! It is really good, but still keep your expectations grounded!

Cobra Kai TV-14 | 30min | Action, Comedy, Drama | TV Series (2018– )
Being a fellow KK fan, I didn't keep my hopes up and prepared myself for dissapointment, but one episode turned into a complete binge. Very faithful to the movies. Great performances too, especially William Zabka. Cant wait for season 2

Marcella - Season 2.

Done binge watching Marcella (2) on Netflix. Must watch for all those who watched the first season. The climax is shocking!!! :) :)

La Casa De Papel - I am hugely divided on this. No doubt the premise is strong and some parts of it are brilliantly done. But acting is mostly over the top and direction is juvenile in many places. I binged watched it so definitely a one time watch. However some parts are contrived and has similarities with Indian soap opera style crime drama with long emotional scenes and childish detective work by police. But heard that it has been renewed for another season, so good news for fans who liked it.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back