Fans of Television Series

Just finished watching a Korean TV series on Netflix called Stranger. Highly recommend. I also see a few other Korean TV series on Netflix, and I do feel this is the birth of a new era. Or possibly for me, discovery of a new genre I did not know existed.

High quality story telling, cinematography and production. Everything is top notch. It is a straight up investigative TV series that revolves around two people - the main protagonist who is a public prosecutor who is trying to solve a murder case which rapidly starts unraveling into a sinister plot connecting powerful bureaucrats and businessmen. The other protagonist is a female police detective who is equally unrelentingly honest and bold and pairs up with the public prosecutor. She is one of the characters in Sense8 if you have seen it - she is the Korean female, one of 8, who is the daughter of a rich businessman and is also a kickboxer.

There are numerous plot twists across the episodes, and has a very surprising ending - this series is totally binge watch worthy, and I actually did exactly that - I was that hooked.

This series is also an absolutely fascinating window into modern Korean life, especially corporate life. The character development is exemplary. Oh, and the main protagonist has a medical condition (due to a childhood surgery) due to which he is unable to perceive most human emotions. Very very good acting all around. You just live with the characters.

I finally got around to watching the 1st 12 episodes of this Korean TV series Stranger (Secret Forest / Forest of Secrets) in the last couple of days. I'm so impressed that i decided not to wait till the end to pen my thoughts.

The acting is top notch, the music score brilliant and the characters are so genuine that they could be your friends, foes or colleagues. The female protagonist Bae Doona is endearing in a quirky, steadfast and honest character. The plot of the murder mystery and subsequent crimes thickens with every episode and leaves very few characters in the clear. The story telling is gripping and keeps you hooked. This series is totally binge worthy.

I finally got around to watching the 1st 12 episodes of this Korean TV series Stranger (Secret Forest / Forest of Secrets) in the last couple of days. I'm so impressed that i decided not to wait till the end to pen my thoughts.

The acting is top notch, the music score brilliant and the characters are so genuine that they could be your friends, foes or colleagues. The female protagonist Bae Doona is endearing in a quirky, steadfast and honest character. The plot of the murder mystery and subsequent crimes thickens with every episode and leaves very few characters in the clear. The story telling is gripping and keeps you hooked. This series is totally binge worthy.

Thanks for posting this helpful review. I am tempted to watch this. Do you feel any language barrier while following korean language?

Thanks for posting this helpful review. I am tempted to watch this. Do you feel any language barrier while following korean language?

I watched it with english subtitles. For the first few episodes, i felt like the korean language conveys a lot with just a few syllables / words. I however got used to the pace after a few episodes.

I often feel like there's a disconnect between the language and the way the actors emote while watching foreign content, but that is not so with this series and Korean in general.

La Casa De Papel - I am hugely divided on this. No doubt the premise is strong and some parts of it are brilliantly done. But acting is mostly over the top and direction is juvenile in many places. I binged watched it so definitely a one time watch. However some parts are contrived and has similarities with Indian soap opera style crime drama with long emotional scenes and childish detective work by police. But heard that it has been renewed for another season, so good news for fans who liked it.
+1 to this.
By the way, have you noticed that the English dialogues and the subtitle never matches in this series?

+1 to this.
By the way, have you noticed that the English dialogues and the subtitle never matches in this series?
ha ha yes! I think subtitles are outsourced to third party companies/translators and at times they do a poor job :)

I started watching Sacred Games yesterday and down with 4 episodes of 8 in total for season 1.
Oh this is some good content and feels really very rich in making with good interpretation of the story. I'm not a good reviewer but it is worth watching with some good acting. Feels really good for a hindi content. A must see.

watching the german series "Dark" on netflix. Similar to "Returned" and "Stranger things". Lot of positive reviews.. Hope it is a good watch.

watching the german series "Dark" on netflix. Similar to "Returned" and "Stranger things". Lot of positive reviews.. Hope it is a good watch.

Dark imo is much better than stranger things. Stranger things season 2 was mediocre at the best(imo). My ranking goes like this :
1. Narcos
2. Dark
3. Walking dead (season 7 and 8) , though others tend to like what was before: I like Jeffrey Dean Morgans performance than the whole series itself.

After finishing dark I wanted something similar and watched stranger things, I liked Dark more then! Rain, Safe and Atomic Carbon(Dolby vision was good) was a pure waste of time.

PS: Personally I like dark suspensful violent stories. I try not to get inspired out of them though!

I started watching Sacred Games yesterday and down with 4 episodes of 8 in total for season 1.
Oh this is some good content and feels really very rich in making with good interpretation of the story. I'm not a good reviewer but it is worth watching with some good acting. Feels really good for a hindi content. A must see.
I binged on this Saturday . Went through the night till early morning :). Direction and performances are on par with Narcos. Anurag Kashyap is seriously in some other league.

Dark imo is much better than stranger things. Stranger things season 2 was mediocre at the best(imo). My ranking goes like this :
1. Narcos
2. Dark
3. Walking dead (season 7 and 8) , though others tend to like what was before: I like Jeffrey Dean Morgans performance than the whole series itself.

After finishing dark I wanted something similar and watched stranger things, I liked Dark more then! Rain, Safe and Atomic Carbon(Dolby vision was good) was a pure waste of time.

PS: Personally I like dark suspensful violent stories. I try not to get inspired out of them though!
Dark is absolutely brilliant...but agree with you...nothing to beat Narcos.

Somehow I could never get into Fargo. Never seemed to measure up to the movie IMO.
Fargo gets into phase after couple of episodes. But compared to stranger things or other mediocre stuff, direction its on par with Dark on entertainment quotient. I would soon be starting with Sacred Games, seems nothing there isnt much great other things to start with at the moment. I kind of liked Fargo series as much as the movie. Some times its bit exxagerated, the movie didnt had any such elements though.

Fargo gets into phase after couple of episodes. But compared to stranger things or other mediocre stuff, direction its on par with Dark on entertainment quotient. I would soon be starting with Sacred Games, seems nothing there isnt much great other things to start with at the moment. I kind of liked Fargo series as much as the movie. Some times its bit exxagerated, the movie didnt had any such elements though.
Sacred Games will be the best show you'll watch this year. It'll be a huge challenge not to binge watch...yup, its that amazing!

Finished Sacred Games, and can vouch for the quality. IMHO, its on par with Narcos (and better than Narcos season 2 probably). If Wagner Moura can become an international celebrity based on Narcos, Nawazuddin deserves no less!

Started Ozark, and despite some absurdity, its a good watch so far. Meanwhile, super disappointed with Goliath Season 2. First one was one of my all time favorites, and season 2 completely disappoints.

Finished Sacred Games, and can vouch for the quality. IMHO, its on par with Narcos (and better than Narcos season 2 probably). If Wagner Moura can become an international celebrity based on Narcos, Nawazuddin deserves no less!

Started Ozark, and despite some absurdity, its a good watch so far. Meanwhile, super disappointed with Goliath Season 2. First one was one of my all time favorites, and season 2 completely disappoints.

I think the Indian series will have more reach internationally than crappy masala bollywood movies. Many people stereotype indian movie industry to be just some 'musical-drama' like mamma mia. I am a huge fan of Siddiqui and other people who can really 'ACT' than living on hype. This is a good platform for them to get the attention they deserve.

Ok People Time to update .......Lots of TV series watched and updating after a long time I suppose .... lets start with the Bad,dissappointments ..

Lost in Space .... I had HUGE expectation from this ..... even more so as this would have been my first show in 4K HDR on my 4K HDR 55" new TV .. :) .. Was so excited, as I already had an idea about the astonishing visuals and cinematography, this show was been raved about. Sadly that's all where the positive things end .... I mean the show has very good CGI and equally good sets and everything, but all this cannot save a show scifi show if it does not have a plot, no story, its all just a jumbled piece of puzzle they try to solve. And then the actions of the characters, baring few exception in the beginning, there is absolutely no logic to whatever robinson family does .......... this show is the best example of ......'""""""Wait, why don't they just..." or "Why did they do that"? or "damm how can they do this???"""""" syndrome ..... basically writing is absolutely poor ..... I had to leave the show after 5,6 episodes ...... too bad ..... 5/10 for this one.

Available in Netflix

Walking Dead - Season 8 ... I would put this season again in the lower end of the liking of the show ... season 7 was almost same .....I think I would say till se06 I would have actually appreciated the show more, however I still am a fan of this genre and I still LOVE TWD, so I would not hate the season as much as few other might .... I enjoyed it almost in the same capacity as SE07, and yes look forward to SE09. TWD does not offer anything new, but yes if you have invested in to the characters up until SE08 or 07 even for that matter, you will feel the urge to see what holds them together going forward and you keep watching ... :) ...6.8/10 for this season and 7.5/10 for the series

Downloaded

HOMELAND - Season 7 ... I think Home land is the only show par se after 6 seasons, that I still love watching, even though I would rate the first 4 seasons as the best, 5-6 were up there as well .... .... SE07 will be the weakest in the link, however its still no dud ..... is still thrilling, has a compelling story and still manages to hold you tight and rooting for the characters, but yes in comparison, I would say SE07 would be the weakest in the link.... 7/10 for this season and 8/10 for the series

Available on APV

Now shows that I LOVED ....

The Good Fight - Season 1..... Ok I have been a HUGE fan of the Good Wife and baring the last season that I would rate less, the entire 5 seasons were a blast!!! and I was looking fw for the spin off, of the same, the good fight, and I was not disappointed at all. It still holds the same charisma, same feel as the original and start after 2 years where the original left, when Diane Lockhart's life savings are lost, and she must start from scratch to come up top again. now people have been saying the show went tooo anti Trump in the second season, it was in the first as well, but went over board in the second and that has brought some negative reviews, but personally I give a rats A@#,:D so I enjoyed every single moment of it and I am sure will do for the second season as well, that I have yet to see .... 8/10 for this one.

Available on APV

Sacred Games - Season 1..... I have not seen Narcos, so is this India's Narcos??, I dont know, but could this be one of the top Indian TV series in recent times, yes it can be!!.. :) ... Its Gritty, VERY direct!, dark, unsympathetic in every approach and I LOVED it ...... yes the swearing at times goes a little over the top, you know sometime I felt that the swearing was there just to "be" there and not coming naturally. But all this would be nit picking ..... The dialogues, acting, direction is top notch, and I am highly looking fw to se02 and I am so so happy with the success of SG, the floods are open and we can expect to see some true Indian hard hitting web series ..... 7.8/10 for this one

Available on Netflix

Young Sheldon .. Do you like Sheldon, did you enjoy Big Bang Theory ... if yes then you will not be disappointed by Young Sheldon. It funny, cute, at times.. slow, but over all feel of the show is good, plus you get to know what, sheldon was and how he became what he is now. Again small 20 mins episodes and you will have a nice smile always while watching the entire series ..... 7.5/10 for this one

Available on APV

Strike Back .. I know who recommended it, but I read somewhere its like Brit's version of 24, just with more blood and violence and I wanted to give it a try, and boy I was not disappointed. SE01 was Gritty as hell, nail biting, and yes violent as well. It Follows the actions of fictitious Section 20, a secretive unit of British military intelligence. A team of special operations personnel conduct several high risk missions across the globe, and you enjoy every mission to the fullest. I just had one gripe, its at times become a little bit less realistic and more hollywoodish, if you know what I mean, but over all you will enjoy the show. Its available on Hotstar, BUT season 1 on Hotstar is season 2 actually they messed up with seasons, so I had to download se01 and watch, rest I will continue on Hotstar and update......7.8/10 for SE01

Available on Hotstar from SE02

Whew!!! that was some list ... Now I am looking fw to

1. Safe
2. The 100 season 5
3. The punisher
4. The Rain
5. The terror

Please recomend more ..

Regards
Sammy

Last edited:
Ok People Time to update .......Lots of TV series watched and updating after a long time I suppose .... lets start with the Bad,dissappointments ..

Lost in Space .... I had HUGE expectation from this ..... even more so as this would have been my first show in 4K HDR on my 4K HDR 55" new TV .. :) .. Was so excited, as I already had an idea about the astonishing visuals and cinematography, this show was been raved about. Sadly that's all where the positive things end .... I mean the show has very good CGI and equally good sets and everything, but all this cannot save a show scifi show if it does not have a plot, no story, its all just a jumbled piece of puzzle they try to solve. And then the actions of the characters, baring few exception in the beginning, there is absolutely no logic to whatever robinson family does .......... this show is the best example of ......'""""""Wait, why don't they just..." or "Why did they do that"? or "damm how can they do this???"""""" syndrome ..... basically writing is absolutely poor ..... I had to leave the show after 5,6 episodes ...... too bad ..... 5/10 for this one.

Available in Netflix

Walking Dead - Season 8 ... I would put this season again in the lower end of the liking of the show ... season 7 was almost same .....I think I would say till se06 I would have actually appreciated the show more, however I still am a fan of this genre and I still LOVE TWD, so I would not hate the season as much as few other might .... I enjoyed it almost in the same capacity as SE07, and yes look forward to SE09. TWD does not offer anything new, but yes if you have invested in to the characters up until SE08 or 07 even for that matter, you will feel the urge to see what holds them together going forward and you keep watching ... :) ...6.8/10 for this season and 7.5/10 for the series

Downloaded

HOMELAND - Season 7 ... I think Home land is the only show par se after 6 seasons, that I still love watching, even though I would rate the first 4 seasons as the best, 5-6 were up there as well .... .... SE07 will be the weakest in the link, however its still no dud ..... is still thrilling, has a compelling story and still manages to hold you tight and rooting for the characters, but yes in comparison, I would say SE07 would be the weakest in the link.... 7/10 for this season and 8/10 for the series

Available on APV

The Good Fight - Season 1..... Ok I have been a HUGE fan of the Good Wife and baring the last season that I would rate less, the entire 5 seasons were a blast!!! and I was looking fw for the spin off, of the same, the good fight, and I was not disappointed at all. It still holds the same charisma, same feel as the original and start after 2 years where the original left, when Diane Lockhart's life savings are lost, and she must start from scratch to come up top again. now people have been saying the show went tooo anti Trump in the second season, it was in the first as well, but went over board in the second and that has brought some negative reviews, but personally I give a rats A@#,:D so I enjoyed every single moment of it and I am sure will do for the second season as well, that I have yet to see .... 8/10 for this one.

Available on APV

Sacred Games - Season 1..... I have not seen Narcos, so is this India's Narcos??, I dont know, but could this be one of the top Indian TV series in recent times, yes it can be!!.. :) ... Its Gritty, VERY direct!, dark, unsympathetic in every approach and I LOVED it ...... yes the swearing at times goes a little over the top, you know sometime I felt that the swearing was there just to "be" there and not coming naturally. But all this would be nit picking ..... The dialogues, acting, direction is top notch, and I am highly looking fw to se02 and I am so so happy with the success of SG, the floods are open and we can expect to see some true Indian hard hitting web series ..... 7.8/10 for this one

Available on Netflix

Young Sheldon .. Do you like Sheldon, did you enjoy Big Bang Theory ... if yes then you will not be disappointed by Young Sheldon. It funny, cute, at times.. slow, but over all feel of the show is good, plus you get to know what, sheldon was and how he became what he is now. Again small 20 mins episodes and you will have a nice smile always while watching the entire series ..... 7.5/10 for this one

Available on APV

Strike Back .. I know who recommended it, but I read somewhere its like Brit's version of 24, just with more blood and violence and I wanted to give it a try, and boy I was not disappointed. SE01 was Gritty as hell, nail biting, and yes violent as well. It Follows the actions of fictitious Section 20, a secretive unit of British military intelligence. A team of special operations personnel conduct several high risk missions across the globe, and you enjoy every mission to the fullest. I just had one gripe, its at times become a little bit less realistic and more hollywoodish, if you know what I mean, but over all you will enjoy the show. Its available on Hotstar, BUT season 1 on Hotstar is season 2 actually they messed up with seasons, so I had to download se01 and watch, rest I will continue on Hotstar and update......7.8/10 for SE01

1. Safe
2. The 100 season 5
3. The punisher
4. The Rain
5. The terror

Please recomend more ..

Regards
Sammy

I have watched rain and safe from that list. If I give 7/10 for walking dead, rain would be 3 /10. Plot is stupid and borng.

I have not watched something like safe before. But, again it's poorly made.

Worthy ones would be Fargo, Narcos,, Dark, Bates motel. In comparison.

Available in Netflix

Downloaded

Available on APV

Available on APV

Available on Netflix

Available on APV

1. Safe
2. The 100 season 5
3. The punisher
4. The Rain
5. The terror

Please recomend more ..

Regards
Sammy
Strike Back from season 2 onwards is awesome, they did a reboot, introduced two action heroes, and made it an all-out action series.

In terms of gunfights, nothing else comes close on TV, do watch seasons 2 through 5, it is completely different from season 1 and totally unrelated to it.

I have watched rain and safe from that list. If I give 7/10 for walking dead, rain would be 3 /10. Plot is stupid and borng.

I have not watched something like safe before. But, again it's poorly made.

Worthy ones would be Fargo, Narcos,, Dark, Bates motel. In comparison.

Seen Fargo, Dark and Bates Motel ....... Narcos yet to see ..... what else do we have???

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back